China Denies Canadian Hacker Claims

HardOCP News

[H] News
Chinese officials have denied claims they hacked Indian government computers…and threatened to hack anyone that says otherwise. :D

The denial came after Canadian researchers claimed that a China-based online spying network leveraged popular Web services such as Twitter, Google Groups and Yahoo! Mail to steal information from the New Delhi government and other Indian networks.

in other news... china does whatever it wants, denies it does whatever it wants

yer cause a country gov'n are really going to hold their hands up and go "fair cop gov"

In other news, America's smart enough to not get caught doing it like China, but it's nose grows after telling the world it's flabbergasted somebody could do this.

this is like tibetans and the other 100 minority groups they massacred and said they didnt. just man up china come on only people you fool is yourself.

i like to tell that to homeless people that ask for money for gift cards instead of booze then go outside and ask me again for money for a different reason. just be honest, you are only fooling yourself. ask me for booze and you shall receive.

Web services such as Twitter, Google Groups and Yahoo! Mail to steal information from the New Delhi government and other Indian networks.

Sorry but if a government has info on those sites....

Raise your hands if you remotely believe that China is telling the truth.

Sorry but if a government has info on those sites....

Its not government but... often people who are in India due to refugee/political asylum status. India is very kind towards Tibetans and other minorities fleeing horrible regimes. Since China killed 30-60 million minorities during 1950's and cultural revolution... India has been there to accept some refugees from other nations. At first they turned them away until China invaded India..

thats when they offered up dharamsala to tibetans as a place to start over while china figures out who to "liberate"... or kill for the next hundred years.

so most people who have fled china are getting their personal accounts hacked... if they work for a government they might get their personal twitter hacked or government account (email, not twitter). they are hacking anyone helping or who has been helped in countries that have refugees.

if they return to china=jail time for being unpatriotic and upset that they might of had to kill their parents at gunpoint... or that their children were massacred... or any other "lie" .

Its not government but... often people who are in India due to refugee/political asylum status. India is very kind towards Tibetans and other minorities fleeing horrible regimes. Since China killed 30-60 million minorities during 1950's and cultural revolution... India has been there to accept some refugees from other nations. At first they turned them away until China invaded India..

thats when they offered up dharamsala to tibetans as a place to start over while china figures out who to "liberate"... or kill for the next hundred years.

so most people who have fled china are getting their personal accounts hacked... if they work for a government they might get their personal twitter hacked or government account (email, not twitter). they are hacking anyone helping or who has been helped in countries that have refugees.

if they return to china=jail time for being unpatriotic and upset that they might of had to kill their parents at gunpoint... or that their children were massacred... or any other "lie" .

I love hearing these rants, the tubes sure are full of angry people

I do think that China is very much involved at this, since espionage operations yield political and economic benefits, and the Chinese Communist Party cadre ties economic growth to political extension all the time.

Any corporation that specializes in information should think twice about setting up shop in China.

Your knowledge of history is suspect.

To the topic at hand though...no kidding. I am not really shocked they denied it. By the way, nothing will come of this. There should be a cry out for greater security in the cloud in light of this and other events but it won't come. Maybe a whisper. /shrug

Also, the article is incorrect. Google.hk is not uncensored for those living in China. the censorship is not done on Google's end however.

Also, the article is incorrect. Google.hk is not uncensored for those living in China. the censorship is not done on Google's end however.

Splitting hairs a bit here: google.com.hk search results are uncensored. People living in mainland China will hit filters, but not those in Hong Kong. As per wikipedia:

"On March 22, 2010, Google began redirecting all google.cn traffic to google.com.hk (Google Hong Kong), thereby bypassing Chinese regulators and allowing uncensored Simplified Chinese search results."

In fairness to China, these were traced back to Chengdu, which is the headquarters of their cyber intelligence squad, but it also where a lot crackers crack out of. :) There are two internet cafes located in Chengdu, that I have traced back several hundred crack attempts from, all of them very unsophisticated and appear to be using basic script-kiddie style hacks. The sad thing is, I know where these places are, but their own government does nothing about them. They never do any damage to companies I monitor, but I have been tempted to go to China and meet whomever is sitting there.

In fairness to China, these were traced back to Chengdu, which is the headquarters of their cyber intelligence squad, but it also where a lot crackers crack out of. :) There are two internet cafes located in Chengdu, that I have traced back several hundred crack attempts from, all of them very unsophisticated and appear to be using basic script-kiddie style hacks. The sad thing is, I know where these places are, but their own government does nothing about them. They never do any damage to companies I monitor, but I have been tempted to go to China and meet whomever is sitting there.

I am less concerned about the individuals doing the hacking than I am about the information they are gathering. Their best customer appears to be the state.

The Chinese government seems pretty tech retarded. Both seem believable to me. They're so clueless they let citizens hijack government computer systems, or they're so clueless they did it themselves and got caught.
Fail either way.

Anyone who has ever done business in China knows that lying is part of the business culture there. I know many Korean, American and European business people who do business in China and all of them know that lying is pervasive and accepted in their business culture. Its like the more lies you get away with makes you a better businessman. So knowing this truth, you can sorta deduce how truthful the government is being when they deny something like this. In the States here lying continually will get you sued, in China its part of the deal.

I just figured out how we and the Russians can reduce our nuclear stockpiles asap.....

BOOM

If you know what I mean. :eek::rolleyes::cool:

At least China is only invading countries online and not occupying other countries with military forces or multiple countries at once with military forces ala offline. I think that would really be a country doing whatever they want, especially, if they go into that country under false pretenses. Now that would be almost unthinkable even if it happened and is happening currently.

At least China is only invading countries online and not occupying other countries with military forces or multiple countries at once with military forces ala offline. I think that would really be a country doing whatever they want, especially, if they go into that country under false pretenses. Now that would be almost unthinkable even if it happened and is happening currently.

Thank you for your anti-America rant...and defense of a country that has little to no regard for human rights :rolleyes:. Seriously, turn off Michael Moore and start paying attention to the real world.

Thank you for your anti-America rant...and defense of a country that has little to no regard for human rights :rolleyes:. Seriously, turn off Michael Moore and start paying attention to the real world.

Pay attention to the real world like hacking being done on Twitter? Yes. Thats more important than the occupation of foreign countries ;) which is totally a non real-world issue. China does indeed violate a ton of Human Rights on a regular basis. That that I agree but its easy to point fingers at other countries and state how evil they are to the extend of even demonizing them. Before pointing fingers at other countries though, I'd work on effecting local politics within your own country as we can change the US but we can't really change China much as an American citizen.

Easier for you to say anyone that mentions an ongoing war is a 'Micheal Moore' when your the invading country and not being invaded I guess. I imagine if say Canada invaded the US and particularly PA, you'd change your toon remarkably fast. Anyways, costofwar.org? Current total: $979,976,061,946.

I think your an ex-high school teacher from your profile so I guess you might appreciate the fact that only 2 cents of every tax dollar you spend goes to education whereas by comparison 26.5 cents of every dollar goes to the military. Just a fact from the budget analysis: NationalPriorities.org/taxday2010

Where in that article does it say that its the Chinese government? It just says a "China-based" online spying network. And why is China defending it as if they have something to hide if it doesn't even point to the government? I mean, we all know the most compromised number of computers are in China and all. That is, if you don't take into account all the 1980 computers the American Secret Service still use :p If a story came out that Google is now saving all your preferences/searches/life, I don't think the American government would publicly going out and saying they aren't doing that.

I saw this on Yahoo news, looks like China is not the only country full of lies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXPrfnU3G0

Kinda like Tibet?

China would deny the need to drink water and eat food if it made the party look bad. They shouldn't even respond to events anymore. We get it, you lie a lot. Moving on, lol.

Well, while his point is invalidated by the Chinese invasion of Tibet, you must admit, we Americans do love war, a whole lot lol. We've had a new war or major conflict every 20 years or so since WWI justified or not, that's an issue for historians to debate. However, this is off topic, so I leave it here.

Pay attention to the real world like hacking being done on Twitter? Yes. Thats more important than the occupation of foreign countries ;) which is totally a non real-world issue. China does indeed violate a ton of Human Rights on a regular basis. That that I agree but its easy to point fingers at other countries and state how evil they are to the extend of even demonizing them. Before pointing fingers at other countries though, I'd work on effecting local politics within your own country as we can change the US but we can't really change China much as an American citizen.

Easier for you to say anyone that mentions an ongoing war is a 'Micheal Moore' when your the invading country and not being invaded I guess. I imagine if say Canada invaded the US and particularly PA, you'd change your toon remarkably fast. Anyways, costofwar.org? Current total: $979,976,061,946.

I think your an ex-high school teacher from your profile so I guess you might appreciate the fact that only 2 cents of every tax dollar you spend goes to education whereas by comparison 26.5 cents of every dollar goes to the military. Just a fact from the budget analysis: NationalPriorities.org/taxday2010

FWIW, I do try and affect the local politics of my own area. I have started a webpage to get my congressman thrown out of office over his healthcare vote. I have written several letters to him. I have written letters to the editor of newspapers, etc.

I don't know where you are from, but I would assume that, if given the choice, you would prefer to live in the U.S. with all of it's quirks compared to China (where very likely we wouldn't be having this conversation).

I agree at some level on the war thing, but more because of the cost. Similarly, the healthcare debacle is bad due to the cost. Spending is out of control on multiple fronts.

You guys are seriously pointing fingers at China for this? Really?

My dad, who's Chinese watches tons of Chinese news, broadcasted from China I think, I have no idea.

He spouts a lot of Chinese Gov. propaganda at me, and trust me it's very scary, I've even gone as far as to tell him to move there.

But this, this is seriously... meh.

I mean last time I checked we started a war and occupation for weapons of mass destruction and for the sake of democracy everywhere. Raise your hand if you believe that.

I mean government lying, who'd of thunk it.

Where in that article does it say that its the Chinese government? It just says a "China-based" online spying network. And why is China defending it as if they have something to hide if it doesn't even point to the government?

Because the information being stolen would be of most use to the Chinese government.

Back