Chimp Challenge 2009 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now hold on a sec, Heur, EVGA does not sponsor our presense in the CC, and they don't really even support it -- If anything, people have more incentive to NOT participate, since they're only eligible for EVGA's prizes and promotions if they're folding on their own name. Our performance in the CC was a result of our users rallying together and putting everything they had into it -- entirely of their own will. There were quite a few people worried that we'd fail to perform up to par because many users wouldn't see the CC as being worth the hassle... It seems they had nothing to worry about.
Sorry Plan, I thought Evga was sponsoring your team now. If not can you share how you guys have recruited soo many so fast?

It's all about the science guys. :)

This was my first CC so I was under the impression that it was all over once someone reached the goal.
Perhaps next year we can make it clear if that isn't the way we are doing things.

In the end it doesn't really matter what name we fold under as long as we are folding.

Very true, but I thought the last place team gets the Paw?

!@#$%#$$^#$^$#:(

Ok, 4x9800GX2s and 2 280GTXs switched back to [H]ardApe.
That's the spirit!

You have no right to belittle someone else's contribution to the team simply because they decide to fold under their own name. Everyone owns their own farm and has the right to contribute the way they see fit.
Word.

/poo on
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=6098585&postcount=238 /poo off

I still have 11k being flung for [H]ardApe until further notice. Now for something to lighten the mood a bit. Just screenshot it this morning.

sitedown.jpg

Hueristic, what going on there??? Chimp already moved in and ate your server?:D

Still folding for the [H]ardApe with
what I got:
2 x GTX295
7 x GTX260 (core 216)
5 x 9800GTX+
7 x GTX275
1 x linsmp on C2Q 3.4GHz
1 x linsmp on C2Q 3.0GHz
and a few vmware notfreds

Got 3 more GTX275s that I am currently building homes for that will fold for the Ape when they are built if we haven't crossed the finish line yet.

Last edited:
I still have 11k being flung for [H]ardApe until further notice. Now for something to lighten the mood a bit. Just screenshot it this morning.

sitedown.jpg

Hueristic, what going on there??? Chimp already moved in and ate your server?:D

I SWEAR THIS THING IS CURSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the OCN party thread I edited in my thoughts on this. :(

Hope it's up for the pary or I'm going out tonight and getting Shitfaced!

Sorry Plan, I thought Evga was sponsoring your team now. If not can you share how you guys have recruited soo many so fast?

Nah, as far as I'm aware EVGA was totally hands-off on the CC. A few forum mods participated in the event, but that's not exactly 'official support'.

I'd say that, if anything, the folks on our team were quite aware of the doubt that's been surrounding our team since we started really moving up in the ranks, and wanted to put as much effort as possible into making sure we didn't bomb on our first CC. Everyone was far more organized than I would've expected, and there was a HUGE effort made across the board towards getting people motivated to join. A website was set up strictly for our CC effort, headcounts were made, and everyone was doing their best to make sure word got around to those who perhaps didn't pay as much attention to the forums. It was made quite clear how important it was to everyone, considering the sheer number of CC-related threads in the forums that I had to wade through every day :rolleyes: I was personally impressed with how much everyone worked together for this.

I think the attitude everyone had helped a lot. Even with our resident superfolder losing half his systems towards the beginning of the CC, everyone stayed optimistic and put forth an even stronger effort. There was even some interesting media created to promote the contest -- I made a special version of our folding stats badge to track CC09 data, people made CC09-themed wallpapers, etc. People were wearing sig banners advertising the CC for over a month before it was to begin. There was a lot of excitement all-around.

Since I am from the EVGA team, there is not much I can say here that will make much difference. But that never stopped me from speaking before.

[H] is the pinnacle of folding. No one disputes that. We and OCN are not trying to beat Maximum PC, or Overclockers Australia. We competing for the number one spot and that would be you guys. You have a lot to be proud of and and are what we are all striving for. Keep your head held high. The bickering here is understandable and natural. Do not hold any hard feelings to the folks who do not agree with you. The bickering is simply because you care. You care about your team, you cared about the CC and you care about the ultimate goal of what we are all trying to achieve with folding, and you have team pride that got a little chimp slapped with the contest.
When you do put that behind you, perhaps it will be something that will 'waken the sleeping bear'. Who knows, next year you guys might have us all as dots in the rear view mirror again.
The ultimate truth is that if OCN can crank up the points, EVGA can do it, Maximum PC can do it, and get on your radar screen all in a short time, you guys can also do it and put us all to shame. I have confidence that this is something you will do. Take us off your radar screen, pronto.
As far as you guys getting to 20 million. It is a TEAM effort. This is where you will decide if you are a TEAM or just a bunch of guys folding together. If you cannot cross the finish line with arms linked and a sigh of relief as a team, then there is no point in crossing it at all. Don't leave that final push to just a few guys who will carry you through.

If you cannot cross the finish line with arms linked and a sigh of relief as a team, then there is no point in crossing it at all.

I'm sorry, but that's just a disturbing thought. Are they putting something funny in the water at EVGA? :D

I'm sorry, but that's just a disturbing thought. Are they putting something funny in the water at EVGA? :D

Sorry:eek:
It was supposed to sound like a locker room pep talk, but the tonal qualities of encouragement just didn't make it into the thread.;)

Sorry:eek:
It was supposed to sound like a locker room pep talk, but the tonal qualities of encouragement just didn't make it into the thread.;)

The CC has been way too friendly this year. Half the fun last year was calling each other every name in the book and laughing about it. I will not give in!

You have no right to belittle someone else's contribution to the team simply because they decide to fold under their own name. Everyone owns their own farm and has the right to contribute the way they see fit.

If someone isn't going to participate in team events, why even put the 33 in "Team number:"? Look, I understand that some don't have easy access to machines to switch them over, but I have yet to hear a valid excuse from the rest.

Everybody can get all shiny and happy all they want saying that it's their choice to contribute or not, but let's face reality for a sec here. If you're not with the team, you're not WITH the team.

its kinda like track and field

a collection of individual events with an overall team score looming in the shadows. The score really means nothing to each athlete because unlike other team sports, they can only effeect a small portion, and thats it, once they win their events, thats it, they can't score anymore than that. In most major team sports, one player can take the entire game upon his shoulders if he wants to (mega folders?) but in track (folding) one player can only do so much, but he can join with others that can only do so much and suddenly we're moving mountains. Folding has always been about qauntity (more folders) vs quality (mega folders). Of course, we arent dissing mega folders, but the whole idea of DC'ing is based upon as wide spread a picture as possible. The teams really mean nothing except that you and a few buddies want to try your luck together rather than on your own. In track, everyone does their own thing (diff. events) with the common good in mind. Folding is the same thing, each person on 33 does what they want with one common goal and one common intrest.

Maybe the reason we are so big is because we are acomidating to people, more so than y'all apear to be. If someone wants to fold with 33 in their name, there is NO OBLIGATION to do anything. All we give them is all we can and let them make their choice. They want to compete in a small event that a few teams (not stanford) made? Fine, go ahead. If not, then fine. Hell, some people have even shut down their farms recently, and we wish them nothing but the best, because life happens, and life always takes precedence over folding, always.

Some of yall are so damn hostile, you need to remember that
1) Forums
2) Folding
3) The CC (or any other contest fwiw)
are ALL volunteer, and y'all have no right to put down someone for their choices on what to do with gear they had to pay for themselves.

And let the whole 'TEAM" thing go, by your logic, unless every single person on your team folded for the CC (read DIDNT) then you are just as much not a team as us.

If someone isn't going to participate in team events, why even put the 33
this is exactly what I mean, it wasnt mandatory, it was all for fun.

Last edited:
If someone isn't going to participate in team events, why even put the 33 in "Team number:"?
Because people can still contribute to the team without participating in every single event. It's up to them how they want to contribute, and if they don't feel like participating in the Chimp Challenge after another team has already passed the finish line, then that's their decision. The points are still going to Team 33, and you should be encouraging those people for contributing altogether, rather than criticizing them because they don't meet up to your own personal standards for what a "team player" should be. You do what you want with your farm, and let others do what they want with theirs. As far as I'm concerned, if someone has put in the effort required to actually fold and contribute to the project, then their efforts should be applauded as much as possible.

its kinda like track and field

a collection of individual events with an overall team score looming in the shadows. The score really means nothing to each athlete because unlike other team sports, they can only effeect a small portion, and thats it, once they win their events, thats it, they can't score anymore than that. In most major team sports, one player can take the entire game upon his shoulders if he wants to (mega folders?) but in track (folding) one player can only do so much, but he can join with others that can only do so much and suddenly we're moving mountains. Folding has always been about qauntity (more folders) vs quality (mega folders). Of course, we arent dissing mega folders, but the whole idea of DC'ing is based upon as wide spread a picture as possible. The teams really mean nothing except that you and a few buddies want to try your luck together rather than on your own. In track, everyone does their own thing (diff. events) with the common good in mind. Folding is the same thing, each person on 33 does what they want with one common goal and one common intrest.

Maybe the reason we are so big is because we are acomidating to people, more so than y'all apear to be. If someone wants to fold with 33 in their name, there is NO OBLIGATION to do anything. All we give them is all we can and let them make their choice. They want to compete in a small event that a few teams (not stanford) made? Fine, go ahead. If not, then fine. Hell, some people have even shut down their farms recently, and we wish them nothing but the best, because life happens, and life always takes precedence over folding, always.

Some of yall are so damn hostile, you need to remember that
1) Forums
2) Folding
3) The CC (or any other contest fwiw)
are ALL volunteer, and y'all have no right to put down someone for their choices on what to do with gear they had to pay for themselves.

And let the whole 'TEAM" thing go, by your logic, unless every single person on your team folded for the CC (read DIDNT) then you are just as much not a team as us.

this is exactly what I mean, it wasnt mandatory, it was all for fun.

You must hail from the South. Y'all is not a common phrase. I am also from the South. Where are y'all from?

The CC has been way too friendly this year. Half the fun last year was calling each other every name in the book and laughing about it. I will not give in!

Hahahaha, you guys suck! you can't even get 20mil in 10 days! Boooo, the [H]orde is now the [h]opless. Mohahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa:eek:

cranny: I must say, my personal position is somewhat odd, since I live in a state known for its horses and tobacco (can you guess?) that loves its southern-talk. Yet here I am, a total geek, without any accent to speak of. I'm not really sure how that happened. >_>;;

Im from ohio, but did my fair share of time down south in the Army (OK, GA, etc), and grew up on the farm (ok, a hatchery, all the same)

loved GA, look forward to going back in a few years when my current contract is up

(Signal Hooah!)

Last edited:
Hahahaha, you guys suck! you can't even get 20mil in 10 days! Boooo, the [H]orde is now the [h]opless. Mohahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa:eek:

Damn it, who keeps letting this guy back in? SECURITY!!!!

Edit: and you may have won the little race, but we're still winning the important one. If you need us, look up.

That's just what we want you all to think, a race where one person jumps right out ahead and stays there is boring. We're going to let you all creep up on us slowly and as soon as you think there's any chance at being number one we'll snatch it away so quick you'll be reeling!

Hey all

Got to say I'm surprised at how the CC has played out here at [H]orde central.

I'm gonna make just two observations:

First: About whether this race is over yet or not: Look at Clint's graphs, specifically at T32monkeys and Maximum_monkey. You reckon they think this thing is finished? They're still going hammer and tongs @ 1.3+ mill each a day. Seeing as how they're the two teams that invented this race, I'm guessing if it was over as soon as someone reached twenty mill then they would know that and would have stopped..... yet T32 are constant and Max_monkeys have ramped UP...

My second observation is this: Last year it was us (OCAU) eating crow after all the smack talk, coming last (way last...) but we stuck to our guns and finally crossed the line 5 days after Maximum_Monkey and 4 days after T32 and you guys. To follow the athletics analogies that seem to be running rife, it was like you guys finishing a 1500m relay while we were still half way through the third lap. That last lap and a half was pretty hard, and we lost a few folk from the CC team in that period... but we made it. One of the first people to pop up on the OCAU forum and say congrats when we finally got there days after everyone else finished was alan2308 :

Congrats guys, a lesser team would have just said screw it a while ago.

As its stands, for those teams yet to finish, the % of overall team output that is going into their Chimp Challenge teams stands thus (over the last three days):

T32monkeys/Overclockers.com: 1.6m/2.75m ppd = 58% (wow)
Monkey_Bollocks/OCAU: .975m/2.2m ppd = 44%
Maximum_Monkey/MaxPC: 1.3m/3.6m ppd = 36%
TSCh!mp/TSC!Russia: 0.84m/2.3m ppd = 36%
[H]ardape/[[H]ardOCP: .58m/3.5m ppd =17%
CPChimps/Custom PC & Bit Tech: .38m/2.49m ppd =15%

The CPChimps had a pretty disrupted run-up to the CC with the teams/forums being merged, but whats with the mighty [H]? Alan2308's words are ringing in my ears as I watch your points tail off...

Good luck guys, I really wouldl love to see you give it a good shake...

Oh BTW look out: The Russkies are coming....

Cheers

G

(Graham.Abbott @ OCAU)

Last edited:

You know I've noticed more smack talk since the winner of the CC has been declared than when the contest was in full swing. If someone gets their rocks off winning a simple competitition among a small sampling of the thousands or more teams and millions or more folders out there so be it :eek:. The fact remains the mighty [H]orde is NUMBER #1 of ALL the teams and NUMBER #1 of ALL the teams by a long shot, not just in ratings about a few folders or teams on the Internet , but the whole f*cking F@H project. Whatever Mohahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa:eek: is :rolleyes:

Just smack talk y'all :p

PS Yeah, they been sayin' the Russkies were comin' ever since I can remember, they must be comin' from a long way off :D

EDIT: Please would someone wake me when one of the rookie teams get even 6 months from over taking the mighty [H]orde :eek:

DCing for the CURE

PS Yeah, they been sayin' the Russkies were comin' ever since I can remember, they must be comin' from a long way off :D

EDIT: Please would someone wake me when one of the rookie teams get even 6 months from over taking the mighty [H]orde :eek:

DCing for the CURE

No THATs more like the [H]orde I know :)

Cheers

G

OMG no wonder you guys are putting out such a low ppd! I read the recent help threads and the advice is wrong. Your building gaming rigs for dedicated folders :doh:!

OMG no wonder you guys are putting out such a low ppd! I read the recent help threads and the advice is wrong. Your building gaming rigs for dedicated folders :doh:!

The difference is that we typically advise people to look at hardware that they can actually go buy. Its not really a deal if you can't find one. :D

The difference is that we typically advise people to look at hardware that they can actually go buy. Its not really a deal if you can't find one. :D

There are people on this site selling them and people on our site as well as evga. You have to know how to use google though. :rolleyes:

What I have posted below is unmitigated BS. (also a little sarcastic) :D

Holy mackerel :eek: I just checked the F@H stats and the winners of this years CC is close to overtaking thge mighty [H]orde. Jeez, just a short 4 years, 1 month, 1 week and 7.2 hours (but who's countin' :rolleyes:) so'es we better tighten up. Building gamming rigs to use as folders is definitely a "no no" (I got that from extensive research and reading the posts on this forum :p)

Hey, does anyone know where I can get a 4 year alarm clock in case I fall asleep from all the terror of the mighty [H[orde being overtaken :confused: Kinda on the line of a 8 day clock ;)

DCing for the CURE

There are people on this site selling them and people on our site as well as evga. You have to know how to use google though. :rolleyes:

Google correctly tells me there are no more NEW ones out there. I don't have enough money to have that kind of trust in some guy on the internet.

If someone isn't going to participate in team events, why even put the 33 in "Team number:"? Look, I understand that some don't have easy access to machines to switch them over, but I have yet to hear a valid excuse from the rest.

Everybody can get all shiny and happy all they want saying that it's their choice to contribute or not, but let's face reality for a sec here. If you're not with the team, you're not WITH the team.

And all this time I thought as long as you folded for team 33 the pernts went to this team and now you come along like Dumbaugh or sombody and tell peeps what name to fold under for team 33 or you're not part of the team. (in reality YOU"VE GOT TO BE F*CKING KIDDING ME :rolleyes:)

EDIT: Oh yeah, if I want to get all shiney (is that like Turtle waxed) and happy that's my business. :cool: (isn't that right team 33's self appointed coach :rolleyes:)

DCing for the CURE

Last edited:
Another attempt at a locker room pep talk, Al. If you are held if half the esteem here at [H]orde central that you are over at OCAU, I thought it may get a beneficial reaction.

And BTW, thank you for that post last year. There was one from Nitteo as well, and some of the other [H] folk. They were much appreciated - especially at the time - and proof positive to us the race had been for the right reason and in great spirit :) We never did get to to do the Tamales though :(

Cheers

G

Could you specify which threads in question? TIA.

Could you specify which threads in question? TIA.

the answer should be more like...

"omg do you ever shut up?" <-- and yes im quoting my self because god damnit it needs to be said by this point..

you dont see us going on your forum and bickering about what help/information or how to build folding rigs, do you Hueristic? so lets end it now..

What I have posted below is unmitigated BS. (also a little sarcastic) :D

Holy mackerel :eek: I just checked the F@H stats and the winners of this years CC is close to overtaking thge mighty [H]orde. Jeez, just a short 4 years, 1 month, 1 week and 7.2 hours (but who's countin' :rolleyes:) so'es we better tighten up. Building gamming rigs to use as folders is definitely a "no no" (I got that from extensive research and reading the posts on this forum :p)

Hey, does anyone know where I can get a 4 year alarm clock in case I fall asleep from all the terror of the mighty [H[orde being overtaken :confused: Kinda on the line of a 8 day clock ;)

DCing for the CURE
:eek::cool::p:p:p
Hey, you can't just come in here and start using my quotes against me a year later. :D
:):):)
the answer should be more like...

"omg do you ever shut up?" <-- and yes im quoting my self because god damnit it needs to be said by this point..

you dont see us going on your forum and bickering about what help/information or how to build folding rigs, do you Hueristic? so lets end it now..
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::p:p:p

/snip
Dammit... I told you they were coming:
G

Hmm..., That ain't what US Alaska Gov Palin said, she's been checkin' out her back winder in Alaska. She can see Russia from her house in Alaska :rolleyes:. Now I'd have to believe the qualified foreign policy expert (hell, they got pictures of her talkin' with Kissenger) , varied reader (just can't remember what she read) and watchdog extraordinair (she can see Russia out her back winder) before I'd believe any post I read on the Internet (we's all know it's full of bigoted lies) :rolleyes:

I can honestly say what I posted above is an unmitigated bunch of bullshite and IMHO, anyone who believes what I posted isn't playin' with a full deck or their deck is the "Go Fish" version :eek:

Just my opinions covered by that ragety piece of paper called the Constitution of the United States :D

DCing for the CURE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back