Catalyst Omega

That came as a surprise, nice to see AMD having DSR, I quite like that thing.

Wonder how the quality and performance is, and whether it works in all configurations like Nvidia's DSR does? Glad to see amd trying to finally play some catchup on features and bug fixes. We need good competition in video cards or we'll end up with a repeat of the cpu market :(.

Cool news...

I look forward to trying these out in the next few weeks.

This is wonderful news! Can't wait to Supersample the crap out of Alien: Isolation.

Hmm press NDA was supposed to expire on Monday. Here are some backup images:

HFtpOiB.jpg

5yOFiG4.jpg

awfAbND.jpg

xLA2CMr.jpg

shc0uOJ.jpg

Great, now they just need to announce they're going to officially pick-up Radeon Pro and expand its development.
Do it, AMD.

I've been eyeballing Nvidia for their new downsampling support but this put the R9 300's back on the map. :)

i dont seen mantle in that list, i have a feeling youll have to give it up to use the VSR

EDIT: Nope, supposedly includes Mantle updates

I wonder why thy went with Omega.

They used to call the one a year super-optimized drivers Catalyst Detonator.

Last edited:
Now they need proper v-sync options and fix their shitty MLAA (or replace it with SMAA and make sure it works in all games).

I look forward to testing it out when its actually released. The links at the bottom of the cached article acted like the Omega drivers were already available.

somebody at techspot is getting a good ass chewing right about now.

lol

I'll be testing this also... There's a lot of stuff here!

Mantle game capture, streaming, and FPS measurement. I like this.

Also wonder who will be the first to test the 24 display capability on consumer level cards...

AMD just keep shitting on Nvidia.

650$ 295x2 getting alsmto same performance as $1,300 980 sli setup, with Nvidia ancient SLI tech that makes high res games move like garbage, even if they are at high frames.

650$ 295x2 getting alsmto same performance as $1,300 980 sli setup, with Nvidia ancient SLI tech that makes high res games move like garbage, even if they are at high frames.

yeah, no. I've owned both (not a 295x2, but R9 290 Crossfire setup) and the 980s in SLI were slightly smoother in most games I play. Compatibility-wise multi-GPU has absolutely terrible on both camps lately though.

AMD is playing catch-up here also with the Super Resolution feature - though it's good they finally added it.

yeah, no. I've owned both (not a 295x2, but R9 290 Crossfire setup) and the 980s in SLI were slightly smoother in most games I play. Compatibility-wise multi-GPU has absolutely terrible on both camps lately though.

AMD is playing catch-up here also with the Super Resolution feature - though it's good they finally added it.

no. go read online for the countless reviews that clearly state NVidia pos sli tech that has not been upgraded, compared to AMD's new crossfire tech, is what is holding NVidia back in the sli realm. Frametimes are garbage, especially at higher resolutions.

no. go read online for the countless reviews that clearly state NVidia pos sli tech that has not been upgraded, compared to AMD's new crossfire tech, is what is holding NVidia back in the sli realm. Frametimes are garbage, especially at higher resolutions.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...70-GM204-Review-Power-and-Efficiency/Crysis-0

It's basically a wash, AMD pulls ahead in some games while Nvidia does in others. In many they are just even. Like I said I've owned both, there was practically no difference in smoothness overall. AMD is definitely superior in some games like BF4 though.

I recently decided to ditch multi GPU altogether (after using it for 5 years+) because of the horrid game compatibility though... that is a bigger issue in my opinion.

I'm ready to back to AMD as soon as they add a ULMB like mode. Hopefully soon, would have been cool if this was that.

So does this mean there will be 2 different driver streams now? Or will the Omega features be available I. Future Catalyst releases? Say I have the Omegas, then the new Catalyst driver fixes the crossfire issue with FC4, will I have to choose which set of drivers?

Or is Omega the new drivers going forward?

Wrong, Gtx 970 sli keeps up fine while being cheaper (295x2 is a one shot clearance item like the 7990 was and will be gone quickly forever) , 980 SLi is faster. Sli frame-pacing works great in everything, G-sync is proven tech as is DSR, shadowplay does low to no impact recording up to and including 4k 60hz with high quality hardware encoding too. Add in physx and other value adds and it's still a no brainer to go 970 sli. Less heat output too thanks to drastically lower power consumption.

Snap up these firesaled 295x2 boards while you can if you want but it's not an everyday price and already is almost sold out a day or 2 later now for good.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...70-GM204-Review-Power-and-Efficiency/Crysis-0

It's basically a wash, AMD pulls ahead in some games while Nvidia does in others. In many they are just even. Like I said I've owned both, there was practically no difference in smoothness overall. AMD is definitely superior in some games like BF4 though.

I recently decided to ditch multi GPU altogether (after using it for 5 years+) because of the horrid game compatibility though... that is a bigger issue in my opinion.

seems like you forget that AMd released these cards a year ago...

Wrong, Gtx 970 sli keeps up fine while being cheaper (295x2 is a one shot clearance item like the 7990 was and will be gone quickly forever) , 980 SLi is faster. Sli frame-pacing works great in everything, G-sync is proven tech as is DSR, shadowplay does low to no impact recording up to and including 4k 60hz with high quality hardware encoding too. Add in physx and other value adds and it's still a no brainer to go 970 sli. Less heat output too thanks to drastically lower power consumption.

Snap up these firesaled 295x2 boards while you can if you want but it's not an everyday price and already is almost sold out a day or 2 later now for good.

gsync and sli issues:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/770405/gsync-sli-unsmooth-gsync-sli-smooth/

stop sucking nvidia's balls.

NVidia offers a propriety tech...AMD offers same tech, probably with less issues, for less money.

Heat output? who honestly and truly cares about that?
PhysX? ROFL.

SLI frame pacing does not work great.
We experienced something with SLI we aren't use to at 4K gaming. We experienced some inconsistent frames, some low efficiency and poor SLI scaling. We were used to seeing this on AMD GPUs until AMD fixed their issues. AMD implemented a technology called Frame Pacing, and ultimately went the hardware route with XDMA on the AMD Radeon R9 290/X.

At the end of the day, what we find is that GeForce GTX 980 SLI performance is left wanting at 4K, not because Maxwell isn't fast, but because the current implementation of SLI is more inconsistent and less efficient compared to AMD's XDMA technology on the AMD Radeon R9 290X. This is a case of aging SLI actually hindering very capable GPUs. SLI needs an upgrade, it needs to evolve.

We do not think the true potential of the GeForce GTX 980 GPUs are being exploited with current 4K SLI gaming. It is being held back from its full potential. If GTX 980 could be fully and efficiently tapped, two GTX 980 GPUs have the potential to offer a better gameplay experience.

AMD hit NVIDIA hard with this new XDMA technology. Everyone was expecting NVIDIA would strike back with Maxwell by offering its own evolved SLI technology. However, it did not for this generation. That may end up biting NVIDIA in the butt as far as 4K gaming goes in the future.

^directly from the website we are using now: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014..._980_sli_4k_video_card_review/11#.VIIMc-l0yUk

I never said the 980 sli was not faster...it is, but not by much, especially considering the 290 and 290x have been out for over a year. My point was to say that if you are willing to get 10fps less, you could get the same performance as a $1,300 setup for more than 50% less money.

And a as heads up, go read the leaked information about AMD's new Omega driver. Then go fap and use your tears as lube.

Also, stop acting like DSR is a new technology.

And AMD's DVR is better than Nvidia's Shadowplay, on account of it working on both NV and AMD gpus and with SLI and Crossfire.

Also, stop acting like DSR is a new technology.

And AMD's DVR is better than Nvidia's Shadowplay, on account of it working on both NV and AMD gpus and with SLI and Crossfire.

Wrong, it is a new form of supersampling with a custom 13 pass processing done to the image.

AMD's dvr only does up to 1080p and is slow with worse quality. Nvidia shadowplay does 4k 60fps in hardware at low Performance hit and high quality. Get your facts straight before fangirling out.

umm...you realize DVR uses the same hardware encoder that shadowplay uses, yes?

so same performance hit....

who the fuck streams twitch at 4k?

seriously...

dude, layoff the nvidia cool-aid already...

Last edited:
umm...you realize DVR uses the same hardware encoder that shadowplay uses, yes?

so same performance hit....

who the fuck streams twitch at 4k?

seriously...

Main purpose of shadowplay isn't streaming, have some idea of what you're talking about before spewing your amd schpiel.

Last edited:
Main purpose of shadowplay isn't streaming, have some idea of what you're talking about before spewing your amd schpiel.

neither is DVR...

you do know what dvr stands for, yes?

Digital Video Recorder...

hello...mcfly?

as usual you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

seems like you forget that AMd released these cards a year ago...

290x lower priced than 970 here and better value by far.
Nvidia bots are like Apple bots pay more for less and then defend that crap? Whats that about?
new cards when out can be compared to the 900 series and we already know that outcome. :D

Added features are always good, I've been wanting a DSR like solution for AMD ever since the new WoW expansion came out that destroyed the MSAA they had been using. Hoping those performance gains extend slightly to the older cards, but I doubt it. Anyone remember when the 10% across-the-board performance increase drivers came out for the 7xxx series? Here's to hoping this driver is that for this generation of cards, but I've never seen a driver dothat before and I would be surprised if I ever did again.

Lol, GoldenTiger is the biggest nvidia fanboy that's ever existed. He's like the Fox news of nvidia, and has been since I started browsing this site. I usually get a really good chuckle out of the propaganda he spews.

I would give my left nut to find the leaked driver somewhere on the web to play with this weekend but alas...can't find it.

There were a few people on guru3d and overclockersuk that stated that the driver is out there in the wild....I still can't find it tough.

ive been monitoring the OCN, Guru3d, and Rade3d threads and havent seen any references...

got a link?

Back