Call of Duty is going to have a subscription service attached to it

deweatherly

Supreme [H]ardness
Don't know if this is true, but if it is, they are likely shooting themselves in the foot.

Like it or not, Call of Duty is going to have a subscription service attached to it sooner than we might think.

But this isn't just about making money, it's also about expanding the Call of Duty experience and creating something bigger, if Kotick's further comments ring true. He also said: "I think we could do a lot more to really satisfy the interests of the customers. I think we could create so many things, and make the game even more fun to play. We haven't really had a chance to do that yet."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101503-Kotick-Wants-Call-of-Duty-Subscriptions-Tomorrow
i hope this is false

People still play call of duty? Got lame after the first MW1 for me, I mean really how much run and gun can people handle? My copy of MW2 is collecting dust.

People still play call of duty? Got lame after the first MW1 for me, I mean really how much run and gun can people handle? My copy of MW2 is collecting dust.

Same, but we're talking about Activision here. They're going to fleece it out as much as they can.

nope, sounds about right. Kotick or whatever his name is made some statements during the lawsuit stuff about how the co-creators of MW2 didn't agree with Activisions "Longterm plans" for the Call of Duty series. think we're seeing more of that evidenced now.

Lol, $60 plus monthly fees, plus a $10 expansion pack every couple of months?

I didn't even buy the last peice of trash at a $10 mark up.

This has to be just a rumor.....

And we will a whole bunch of private servers/hacks and piracy...
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Seriously. They mark up the price to a $60 price point because they can then expect people to bend over even further with monthly fees? These publishers need to get their heads out of their asses and make inovative games instead of using the boring old formulas. This is what... the 6th CoD game?

Then again seeing as a large portion of it's users are preteen xbox fanboys, i'm not surprised they're milking it for all its worth from the people who dont know there is better stuff out there :/

I preached that this would happen a long time ago, and my prediction has come true, I'm the next Nostradamus.

I knew this whole MW2 stuff was just a drop in the bucket of the big picture and I was proven correct.

i have never bought a mmorpg because of monthly fees, I already jumped off cod after the mw2 BS but this will definitely cement the door shut of me ever returning

I preached that this would happen a long time ago, and my prediction has come true, I'm the next Nostradamus.

I knew this whole MW2 stuff was just a drop in the bucket of the big picture and I was proven correct.

it hasnt happened yet nostradamus, we will see.

Seriously. They mark up the price to a $60 price point because they can then expect people to bend over even further with monthly fees? These publishers need to get their heads out of their asses and make inovative games instead of using the boring old formulas. This is what... the 6th CoD game?

Then again seeing as a large portion of it's users are preteen xbox fanboys, i'm not surprised they're milking it for all its worth from the people who dont know there is better stuff out there :/

except people do bend over and take it in the ass from developers.. come on look how many copies of MW2 sold in the first week.. the majority of people dont give a shit about pricing.. if people buy it they will continue to keep it at that price and continue to raise it til people quit buying it.. its how business works this compaining about games costing 60 bucks is stupid and a waste of everyones time because game publishers dont give a crap until people quit buying their games at that price..

except people do bend over and take it in the ass from developers.. come on look how many copies of MW2 sold in the first week.. the majority of people dont give a shit about pricing.. if people buy it they will continue to keep it at that price and continue to raise it til people quit buying it.. its how business works this compaining about games costing 60 bucks is stupid and a waste of everyones time because game publishers dont give a crap until people quit buying their games at that price..

I dont buy games at $60.

Same, but we're talking about Activision here. They're going to fleece it out as much as they can.

I thought Activision lost the rights tot he series after the MW2 fiasco?

People will always buy run and gun games, you forget there are new kids everyday getting computers and online, not just us old timers.

if people didn't like run and gun games we would still be playing the same games from 10 years ago.

Then again seeing as a large portion of it's users are preteen xbox fanboys, i'm not surprised they're milking it for all its worth from the people who dont pay for it

they know who their primary target audience is (bolded), and they know that those kids' parents will pay up to keep their kids happy...

sad but true...

Last edited:
All this article says is that Kotick wants some sort of online COD world and not that the core games like Black Ops and Modern Warfare will be subscription based.

I would be interested to see what a persistent online COD game could offer.

Haha, just when I thought this franchise couldn't get any worse. Oh brother.

hmm, more money theoretically means more entertaining 8 hours of single player torrent campaign, great :D

People will always buy run and gun games, you forget there are new kids everyday getting computers and online, not just us old timers.

if people didn't like run and gun games we would still be playing the same games from 10 years ago.

heck if i remember.. i stopped caring about the IW/activision fiasco 2 hours after it started.. lol

the sad thing is theres a gap in generation of gamers while yes more kids are getting computers most of them arent using them for gaming.. its the console age.. subscription based gaming is mostly for the older crowd.. a good example is EVE.. go find me some one thats under 16 in that game.. its almost impossible.. even WoW.. most of them are between 18 and 25.. and that age group has moved away from run and gun shooting games to more strategy based games.. sorry but the modern era of COD doesnt require a single bit of strategy and the most of us find that crap boring as hell..

And thats a bad thing? StarCraft????????? Dreamcast games?????

As far as the MW2 thing goes and future CoD games go, MW2 is completely ruined to me soly because of non dedicated servers and the fact that you cant go one game anymore without someone hacking it and using aimbot (pc user here), so I stopped playing it about 2 months ago now. And future CoD games? Theres always a bad apple here and there, CoD1 and 2 were awesome, 3 was a joke, 4 and 5 were great, 6 was a joke, maybe 7 will be awesome, we shall see, but if they do go to a subscription service, than I will no longer be purchasing there products. BFBC2 is a great game that I play in the meantime, and I will have MoH when it comes out, If MoH is anything as good as what it looks like it will be, than CoD will be out of the picture for me.

To be perfectly honest here I would be fucking ecstatic if they did this pay to play. Do you guys have any idea how many dirty ass kids would be playing this for years instead of ruining other possibly good online experiences?

its not a game its an experience.
Now you the pc user can experience the F we give the console owners mom each and every month on her credit card.

You will see the money go and the experience of getting to pay to go online.
You will see Microsoft and the rest get paid along with the game developer but in your case you will pay the developer and they ill get it all.
WEEE you will have fun experiencing the thrills of the console kiddies in the privacy of your own home.
WOW I can't wait....MOM I wants it.

To be perfectly honest here I would be fucking ecstatic if they did this pay to play. Do you guys have any idea how many dirty ass kids would be playing this for years instead of ruining other possibly good online experiences?

So then when other companies see the success of this they wont copy it :rolleyes:

I enjoyed MW1, but after than it went down the shooter. A subscription based COD is like suddenly making BF2 subscription based, Yea theres gonna be some hardcore gamers that pay it, but ultimately it would ruin it.

EDIT: Also, to the post above me, Amen.

I would love it if there were quests like 'get 10 MREs and return to General Mendoza' AKA most MMOs.

I just can't imagine how you could make a subscription based FPS. Yea, I realize console players tend to pay for online service, which is similar.

Honestly, I don't see how activision is going to be able to top MW1/2, as both are phenomenal games. They've set the bar too high for themselves, and I believe the franchise will be reaching EOL within a few years.

If this happens I will not purchase any more of the CoD series. The last one I bought was MW1.

I understand that it costs money to run servers and all, but i'm honestly tired of the Nickle and Diming with the expansion content : (

What happened to the old days of *free* map packs with updates

Yes, there are a few people still playing one of the most popular multiplayer console video games ever.

God I hate trolls.

I understand that it costs money to run servers and all, but i'm honestly tired of the Nickle and Diming with the expansion content : (

What happened to the old days of *free* map packs with updates

Long gone, for the most part.

I just wonder what they could possibly implement to warrant a monthly fee.

i'm wondering the same thing. i've played the shit out of all the PC COD games, but i can't fathom what they can add that will persuade me to sign up for a monthly fee.

Makes sense. If they go subscription only, they can kill two birds with one stone for the same reasons WoW isn't pirated or sold used/second hand. Granted they'll need to create demand for it; I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay monthly for a Call of Duty game in their current state.

Back