Brink, thoughts?

Well I officially cannot join any online games.

Last night I could play fine, today I cannot connect which leads me to believe something in today's update screwed things up for me.

Awesome.

Been done.

Resistance and Liberation

Odd experience here, in some areas my fps cap changes from 60 to 30 and back again at random times...

You need to force triple buffering and vsync to fix the issue.

Download Rivatuner and use D3Doverider to force them with brink

Odd experience here, in some areas my fps cap changes from 60 to 30 and back again at random times...

That's console port for you. I knoe the ps3 either caps itself at 30 or 60fps to keep" constant". The xbox might do it as well.

Played for about 2 hours late last night, did all 4 freeplay matches last night first to unlock some stuff, and get used to the game.

The parkour aspect is a nice touch, but is VERY touchy. I found myself leaping to a platform than free running straight off the edge, maybe its my reaction time, but to me it was a bit touchy. I did like it nonetheless.

I also seriously enjoyed online, but I do agree with some, Medic seems a bit broken as I found myself in first place at the end of my second match with almost 4000 points while the two other medics in the game were second and third places as well. It is obvious that the medic class is needed, but needs to be buffed down a bit. The wait time between using all 4 ability points before it cools down enough to use 1 again is fine, that aspect keeps things in check a bit, but maybe drop the total ability points to maybe 3? Kind of even it out just a little.

Overall experiance was nice, I noticed alot of people complain about issues running the game, I will say I was averaging 45 FPS with only a 955 Deneb with no OC, 8GB ram and a 9600GSO video card with slightly older drivers than the current nVidia drivers.

I am totally please with the purchase ( I bought from D2D with the 25% off code ) and do not regret spending my $37 on this game whatsoever!

Do I think its worth $50? Yes, but only after all the MAJOR bugs are fixed, which judging by the reaction time of the developers may not be that far off!

I'm glad I decided not to preorder. The game seems like it has good potential, but I'll wait for it to finally be fixed, at which point it may cost less anyways.

Well, I’ve played through 4-5 levels and I think I have a fairly decent grasp of the game. I have to agree with the disappointed folks.
Graphics are okay, but nothing special. The 30FPS cap when playing offline is inexcusable. I find myself playing online just because the local game sucks ass.
Some kind of instruction manual or quick overview on what each function actually does might’ve been nice. Sure, sometimes you can figure things out on your own…but why should I have to?
The classes are pretty boring and as cookie cutter as possible. Really? The same soldier/medic/spy/engineer every game uses?
Character customization’s almost entirely lost because everyone looks red or blue on the screen. What’s the point? I like being able to pick out enemies at a glance, but why make a big deal about customizations nobody notices?
It isn’t God-awful, but it really isn’t that good either. At best it’s fun for a bit. At worst it’s a bad knock-off of Team Fortress 2.

Well, I’ve played through 4-5 levels and I think I have a fairly decent grasp of the game. I have to agree with the disappointed folks.
Graphics are okay, but nothing special. The 30FPS cap when playing offline is inexcusable. I find myself playing online just because the local game sucks ass.
Some kind of instruction manual or quick overview on what each function actually does might’ve been nice. Sure, sometimes you can figure things out on your own…but why should I have to?
The classes are pretty boring and as cookie cutter as possible. Really? The same soldier/medic/spy/engineer every game uses?
Character customization’s almost entirely lost because everyone looks red or blue on the screen. What’s the point? I like being able to pick out enemies at a glance, but why make a big deal about customizations nobody notices?
It isn’t God-awful, but it really isn’t that good either. At best it’s fun for a bit. At worst it’s a bad knock-off of Team Fortress 2.

Playing online even in a private match provides you with 20% more xp.
Also try these, I can't remember if there is one for team or not.
g_enemyTintEnabled "0"
g_enemyTintDisabled "1"

i agree. they put a lot of time and effort into character customization and the end result is, while in game, most people are indistinguishable aside from 'teammate' and 'enemy'.

I said before the release it was a TF2 clone. Too bad it isn't even a good one. If they magically patch this QUICKLY and it becomes a completely different game.....Yeah and when horses drive Mini Coopers.

I said before the release it was a TF2 clone. Too bad it isn't even a good one. If they magically patch this QUICKLY and it becomes a completely different game.....Yeah and when horses drive Mini Coopers.

This plays nothing like TF2. The creators of this game made wolf: ET and that was out before tf2. They even said it themselves that its pretty much Enemy territory 3.

This plays nothing like TF2. The creators of this game made wolf: ET and that was out before tf2. They even said it themselves that its pretty much Enemy territory 3.

Been a long time since I played ET but I feel like I remember through the haze of nostalgia that being a better game all around and gameplay was tighter.

Could be wrong, though.

i agree. they put a lot of time and effort into character customization and the end result is, while in game, most people are indistinguishable aside from 'teammate' and 'enemy'.

Probably one of my biggest complaints. A lot of sameness.

You know you can just shoot people on the ground all the way dead and the medic can't revive them right? If you outright kill someone they don't instantly respawn they go onto the global respawn timer which is like 20 seconds or some shit. If you shoot someone and you don't finish the job it's your own fault if a medic walks in and picks up all of his friends and you deserve to die.

Wrong. Maybe that is the case in MP but in single player they respawn immediately. It takes them a few seconds to get back to the area, but they get back fairly quick. Not a problem if the spawn point is far enough away but it usually isn't. On one mission enemy AI spawns about 30 feet from an objective that you have to hold for a good period of time.

If you just go crazy and outright kill everyone you see, you'll notice that they keep coming to the point where it seems like there must be 20 players on the other team. Meanwhile it is the same 8 enemy players running up, dying, respawning, and returning.

So it seems the best way to approach the single player is to put down the medics first, then go after the other classes.

Even with that complaint, I still enjoy the game. My biggest gripe is that the graphics are atrocious. People were claiming that Borderlands stole their style from Brink, which led me to believe Brink would look better. Nope. Framerate is crap, textures are crap, game modes are paper thin, character customization was overhyped, and on and on...

The lack of female characters doesn't help this along either...

Ha. Normally I don't give a shit who I play as it's rare that you feel any attachment to your character or whatever. But I would love to see some heavy/medium/slight female body types in this. Love the idea of some huge East German hammer-thrower stamping about with a minigun and some whiskers sprouting out of her chin.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Valve didn't make the only class-based shooter in existence :rolleyes:

Brink is not even remotely like TF2...

I've played quite a bit and hit level 11. I have to say that I'm surprised. It's actually a really good game. You should play through the Challenges before playing the campaign. They do a decent job of easing you into it. It does take a little while to really get into it.

I'm having framerate issues on my 5870. Was there a patch or driver released to address this?

This might be a strange request but will someone post a screenshot of the server browser. I'm curious to see what it details. I'd really like to play a mp demo for this.

QzV9Wl.jpg

there you go,pretty simple

Been a long time since I played ET but I feel like I remember through the haze of nostalgia that being a better game all around and gameplay was tighter.

This fact is always true of games based on the Quake 3 engine. Those games were built around the gameplay. Graphics took a backseat to tight controls, quality maps, clear vision (no postprocessing, no hugely annoying muzzle flashes, no blood stains on your screen when you get shot, no vignetting etc etc.), good balance and just generally better gameplay quality.

I'll sum Brink up for you in a few words: it's what you'd get if Call of Duty had a baby with Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. You get the core gameplay style from ET (objectives, progressional maps, attack vs. defense and so on). You get the core gunplay and perks and that generally "consolized" feel from CoD. Big player models, lot's of the game locking you onto shit, slow movement speed/slow pace, feels like it was designed to be somewhat foolproof, low skill ceiling to the shooting, shit like that. Sadly it's a shitty ripoff of CoD's gunplay and it just turns into an SMG spamfest 90% of the time.

Prediction: in less than a week, 95% of players will be using the Carb-9 all the time.

This fact is always true of games based on the Quake 3 engine. Those games were built around the gameplay. Graphics took a backseat to tight controls, quality maps, clear vision (no postprocessing, no hugely annoying muzzle flashes, no blood stains on your screen when you get shot, no vignetting etc etc.), good balance and just generally better gameplay quality.

Graphics took a backseat in quake 3???? You clearly didnt play quake 3 when it was new.

If it isn't like TF2 then why do so many other people who have played it say the same thing? What is it like then? Not trolling. I honestly want to play the game but obviously there are issues that need to be ironed out first. Regardless, I have tried just about every other multi fps out here and keep going back to BF.

Guess I should just stfu and go away. Not trying to piss anyone off. GL HF

If it isn't like TF2 then why do so many other people who have played it say the same thing? What is it like then? Not trolling. I honestly want to play the game but obviously there are issues that need to be ironed out first. Regardless, I have tried just about every other multi fps out here and keep going back to BF.

Guess I should just stfu and go away. Not trying to piss anyone off. GL HF

Why would you need to do that ? Because you have an opinion or a question ?

That's hardly a reason to stfu and go away, especially in a forum...

Sad that there's no lobby system =[

Huge turn off for me since I was trying to play co-op with friends [and he couldn't connect for some reason].

The more I play the game the worse I think it might be. Everyone looks the same, the weapons are balanced in such a way that everyone will be using the same guns, too.
Even the missions all seem more or less the same.

There's a fair amount of polish to the menu screens and the idea, but the game is pretty rough.
To keep my attention they're going to need to add a LOT of stuff.

The more I play the game the worse I think it might be. Everyone looks the same, the weapons are balanced in such a way that everyone will be using the same guns, too.
Even the missions all seem more or less the same.

There's a fair amount of polish to the menu screens and the idea, but the game is pretty rough.
To keep my attention they're going to need to add a LOT of stuff.

I agree with you 100 percent.

The sameness and blandness of it all are what's killing my interest. Fast.

This might be a strange request but will someone post a screenshot of the server browser. I'm curious to see what it details. I'd really like to play a mp demo for this.

Mine's just unlocked so I might just be bored enough to record the first time I start up so you can get an authentic experience. Would probably be pretty long, mind you, figuring all the settings out.

along the same line as Domingo and Q-BZ, the more i play the more i become uninterested in it. and people saying it's "nothing like TF2" are clearly being nit-picky about what constitutes 'similar'. it's a lot like TF2 (albeit less fun). the two share a lot of the same gameplay elements, and comparing them is not a far stretch by any means.

along the same line as Domingo and Q-BZ, the more i play the more i become uninterested in it. and people saying it's "nothing like TF2" are clearly being nit-picky about what constitutes 'similar'. it's a lot like TF2 (albeit less fun). the two share a lot of the same gameplay elements, and comparing them is not a far stretch by any means.

I can honestly see myself uninstalling it within a month's time if I don't see some significant changes.

Why would you need to do that ? Because you have an opinion or a question ?

That's hardly a reason to stfu and go away, especially in a forum...

I am a nice person and dislike making a bad situation worse. Gl Hf

If it isn't like TF2 then why do so many other people who have played it say the same thing? What is it like then?

It's nothing like TF2. It's a lot more like CoD and Enemy Territory. Anybody who tells you it's like TF2 hasn't actually played one game or the other and they are just extrapolating from the fact that both games sort of have classes and a somewhat team oriented gameplay structure.

Graphics took a backseat in quake 3???? You clearly didnt play quake 3 when it was new.

Quake 3 graphics are, and always have been, very clean. They're almost sterile compared to modern games. Just go back and play it some time and compare it to the amount of visual bullshit noise that appears on your screen in a modern "realistic" FPS. FPS developers have forgotten that the most important aspect of an FPS is the gunplay, and they try to achieve this artificial sort of wartime immersion by making explosions disorient you and knock you down, making bullets leave your screen all bloody and by overuse of postprocessing and blurring effects. Everything is hazy and dusty and shitty while in Quake 3, you just fucking shoot people.

Quake 3 graphics are, and always have been, very clean. They're almost sterile compared to modern games. Just go back and play it some time and compare it to the amount of visual bullshit noise that appears on your screen in a modern "realistic" FPS. FPS developers have forgotten that the most important aspect of an FPS is the gunplay, and they try to achieve this artificial sort of wartime immersion by making explosions disorient you and knock you down, making bullets leave your screen all bloody and by overuse of postprocessing and blurring effects. Everything is hazy and dusty and shitty while in Quake 3, you just fucking shoot people.

The point was you said in quake 3 graphics took a backseat when the reality is it pushed graphics just as hard as crysis did when it came. Graphics where VERY important in quake 3.

Back