Brink, thoughts?

This game is much better than many that have come out in the past 5 years. If you like TF2 this is very similar. It is a team based objective game type. I don't see where the reviewers or people here are having issues. It runs pretty smooth for me right out of the box.

If you don't play a game for a good week how can you possibly have learned all of the mechanics and game play techniques?

What an idiotic thing to say...

Also, have you even played the game ?

Of course, and I wish I didn't spend $50 on it. Stop sucking SD's dick, ET was how long ago? Quake Wars was nothing special and this game is just horrible. Starting to see a pattern here?

This game is much better than many that have come out in the past 5 years. If you like TF2 this is very similar. It is a team based objective game type. I don't see where the reviewers or people here are having issues. It runs pretty smooth for me right out of the box.

If you don't play a game for a good week how can you possibly have learned all of the mechanics and game play techniques?

The performance issues seem to mostly come from people with ATI cards, so ATI most likely needs to release newer drivers or another hotfix (as they usually do).

As for what you mentioned, they simply don't learn them. That's why Quake Wars wasn't as successful. I played over 500 hours of QW and I saw plenty of deathmatch kiddies trying to get into it. All they did was find a spot in the map to snipe other people. When they lost every single map they tried, they complained that the game sucked, that it was unbalanced, etc, etc...

Brink has something that Quake Wars had as well, but not as divulged: the gameplay videos "Get SMART series" that explain the mechanics quite well. If even with these, people don't get what they need to do, then I guess team based gameplay is simply not popular enough and developers should focus on more CoD type multiplayer...oh wait, Crysis 2 did that and it got huge flak for it...then again, Crytek can't win.

Of course, and I wish I didn't spend $50 on it. Stop sucking SD's dick, ET was how long ago? Quake Wars was nothing special and this game is just horrible. Starting to see a pattern here?

No, not really. For me, Quake Wars was excellent. Obviously you can't understand that someone likes something you didn't it, but that's where your problem resides!

And I had to ask if you played the game, because you said you "could have something new to play". If you bought it, you DO have something new to play. Also, It was released today a few hours ago. Is that enough to ditch a game completely and call it horrible ? Or did you play non-stop (without sleeping) to reach that conclusion ?

LOL @ IGN's review title: "An Exercise In Needless Repetition", score "6.0" ...man, I just had a feeling this game was going to fail, and glad I didn't even pre-order.

Way too over-hyped, to consolized, mechanics and gameplay looked too questionable, visuals look out-dated... what a mess.:D

LOL @ IGN's review title: "An Exercise In Needless Repetition", score "6.0" ...man, I just had a feeling this game was going to fail, and glad I didn't even pre-order.

Way too over-hyped, to consolized, mechanics and gameplay looked too questionable, visuals look out-dated... what a mess.:D

IGN and Joystiq seem to be the only 2 outlets with very negative reviews. All of the other sites have it with 8's etc. Eurogamer made it sound pretty fun. I think folks are focusing way too much on the few extreme dissenting reviews.

yeah, people are reporting in with ATI cards on the steam forums: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1881158

This better be the case. I'm not very pleased with the hour I put into the game last night. I started it up and got horrible performance. Downloaded the 11.5a Hotfix that amd released for Brink and I saw a little performance increase but it was still really jittery/stutters.

Not impressed at all with the gameplay, I couldn't even tell if I was fighting bots or real people when I played half the time. Also One map when defending it was so easy we had the other team just stuck in spawn shooting away at them. Got real old. REAL FAST.

Last edited:
I'm sure @ it's core, Brink is fun. I was actually considering picking it up over the weekend from D2D, but really there's no excuse defending broken network code.

Considering a huge portion of the game is multiplayer, if I'd have purchased it, I'd be pissed off too.

There's very little room for error and the public isn't nearly as forgiving as it used to be. Shame too, looks like with another 90 days in the oven, might have been a winner.

I'm sure @ it's core, Brink is fun. I was actually considering picking it up over the weekend from D2D, but really there's no excuse defending broken network code.

Considering a huge portion of the game is multiplayer, if I'd have purchased it, I'd be pissed off too.

There's very little room for error and the public isn't nearly as forgiving as it used to be. Shame too, looks like with another 90 days in the oven, might have been a winner.

Yea it makes me think why did they release it a week early??

I accually enjoy this game :)

ATI/AMD users, make sure to get the 11.5a hotfix drivers.

It has brink performance increases

Yea it makes me think why did they release it a week early??

Usually games, music, movies, etc are released a week or so early because of piracy. I would bet that after they sent the master discs to start pressing discs for retail, they started seeing Brink on torrents and released it early.

Just a hunch. :)

Your hunch is wrong, they moved the official release back well in advance of the game appearing on torrents.

More good reviews than bad...

GOOD:
10 / 10 thegamersparadise.com
9.0 / 10 thesixthaxis.com
88 / 100 gamefront.com
8.8 / 10 incgamers.com
8.2 / 10 vgchartz.com
8.0 / 10 eurogamer.net
8.0 / 10 gamesradar.com
8.0 / 10 videogamer.com
8.0 / 10 computerandvideogames.com

Mediocre
7.9 gametrailers.com
7.5 destrucoid.com
6.0 / 10 ign.com (video)
3.5 / 5 GamePro
3.0 / 5 justpushstart.com

Bad
2.0 / 5.0 joystiq.com
2.0 / 5.0 X-play

From Gamepro - Brink is about two or three updates from being one of my favorite shooters of all time, but I'm not reviewing the game I want it to be. I'm reviewing the game that it is, and what it is is something just short of being the awesome experience that I want.

Your hunch is wrong, they moved the official release back well in advance of the game appearing on torrents.

Ahh ok. Usually it takes a month or so to press discs, so I figured that was the case. Day one when the discs arrive at the presses, the 0 day release crews get a copy and begin working on getting a viable crack available for launch. But like you said they moved the date well before that so that wouldn't have been the case.

Sorry about that then. Ignore my previous post. :)

GOOD:
88 / 100 gamefront.com
8.8 / 10 incgamers.com
8.2 / 10 vgchartz.com
8.0 / 10 eurogamer.net
8.0 / 10 gamesradar.com
8.0 / 10 videogamer.com

Mediocre
7.9 gametrailers.com
7.5 destrucoid.com
6.0 / 10 ign.com (video)
3.5 / 5 GamePro

Bad
2.0 / 5.0 joystiq.com
2.0 / 5.0 X-play

From Gamepro - Brink is about two or three updates from being one of my favorite shooters of all time, but I'm not reviewing the game I want it to be. I'm reviewing the game that it is, and what it is is something just short of being the awesome experience that I want.

Just a shame the two horribly negative reviews got out first. Set off a shitstorm of Epic Fail comments.

Just a shame the two horribly negative reviews got out first. Set off a shitstorm of Epic Fail comments.

Yea looks like APB reviews at this point. Great game but horribly broken. But we like the ideas in it and hope they fix it in the future.

I'll ask my buddy who played hours of it last night on the PC what his opinion of it is. But he also said FFXIV was mana from heaven so...

:)

A new IP with no demo - that just shouted to me: Avoid at all costs..... Sounds like my hunch was right.

anyone else notice how ambient occlusion absolutely destroys the framerate?
with it disabled I'm getting well over 150FPS w/ everything else on, but when it's enabled my FPS drop down to 40-50FPS. Maybe it's an Nvidia driver issue...anyone else?

Wow. This is really sad. Splash Damage has put so much work into their new ip only to launch it like this. I almost feel sorry for them. They must be freaking out right now. Based on this kind of feedback, I wouldn't touch this game without playing a proper demo first.

The game is really good, I enjoy it quite a bit.

I feel bad that one review comes out thats negative that can affect everyone elses expectations of this game. This game is what I expected it to be, and im happy with my purchase!

Wow. This is really sad. Splash Damage has put so much work into their new ip only to launch it like this. I almost feel sorry for them. They must be freaking out right now. Based on this kind of feedback, I wouldn't touch this game without playing a proper demo first.

And what is that feedback ? Seems most reviews point out that it's good or very good and one of the bad ones, was made by someone that barely played the game...

The game is really good, I enjoy it quite a bit.

I feel bad that one review comes out thats negative that can affect everyone elses expectations of this game.

Well that is the point of reviews :p

What killed it for me was the Giant Bomb Quick Look (45 minute game play video). The game just didn't look fun to me.

Most comments I have seen from people that have actually played it are positive. No demo is very disappointing, but I still will probably end up buying it when finals are over.

Well so far my thoughts on Brink aren't a lot of good. There is some good, but not all good. The game looks great. But that isn't all to the tale.

1. Steep learning curve. They need more stuff in game to teach you more.

2. Fighting/Damage: THe game appears to have taken a step backwards to me. For the most part when I was shooting at my opponent it didn't really seem to matter if I was shooting them in the foot or the face, all it did was make their "hit point bar" drop. Wasn't this the way games calculated damage like 10 years ago?

3. I saw several times where the computer AI opponents got confused and just stood there, getting shot and doing nothing. Maybe the server I was on locked up, who knows.

4. It took me forever just to find a server I could actually join. I think I had about 9 disconnects before I actually connected to a server and could play multiplayer.

5. No server filters? Really? Come on man. Server filters have been in games for 20 years and you release one like you did? A complete oversite.

6. I prefer being able to blow people into mulch like TF2. Not rag doll physics. Yea that's great you demonstrated your rag doll physics.

Upside:

1. Mass Co-Op is cool.
2. They can fix things.
3. It looks great, and plays great once you finally get into a game. I never had any problems with lag or poor performance.

Overall my general impression is, the game is lacking. There is a real high chance I will be back playing TF2 before a few weeks is up unless they get some of this stuff fixed.

GOOD:
88 / 100 gamefront.com
8.8 / 10 incgamers.com
8.2 / 10 vgchartz.com
8.0 / 10 eurogamer.net
8.0 / 10 gamesradar.com
8.0 / 10 videogamer.com

Mediocre
7.9 gametrailers.com
7.5 destrucoid.com
6.0 / 10 ign.com (video)
3.5 / 5 GamePro

Bad
2.0 / 5.0 joystiq.com
2.0 / 5.0 X-play

Yeah, have you even been to thegamersparadise.com? I could have made a better site in 5 minutes. And since everyone is saying people who love COD hate this game.... they reviewed BLOPs Escalation right before BRINK, and do you know what they gave it?

10/10

That review doesn't even count. You should take most of the review sites with the same credibility as G4. Any chump can run a "video game review" site.

anyone else notice how ambient occlusion absolutely destroys the framerate?
with it disabled I'm getting well over 150FPS w/ everything else on, but when it's enabled my FPS drop down to 40-50FPS. Maybe it's an Nvidia driver issue...anyone else?

AO does that on every title I enable it on. Of course I'm still running a GTX260OC which I'm sure lacks optimizations for AO.

I really wanted to like it.

But definitely not worth the $40 I spent.

If I could sell it from my steam account for $20 to someone else I would.

GOOD:
88 / 100 gamefront.com
8.8 / 10 incgamers.com
8.2 / 10 vgchartz.com
8.0 / 10 eurogamer.net
8.0 / 10 gamesradar.com
8.0 / 10 videogamer.com

Mediocre
7.9 gametrailers.com
7.5 destrucoid.com
6.0 / 10 ign.com (video)
3.5 / 5 GamePro

Bad
2.0 / 5.0 joystiq.com
2.0 / 5.0 X-play

A lot of "review" sites could test-drive a wet paper bag and come away gushing.

If a game is launched with pisspoor netcode & a highly multiplayer-focused premise, incredibad AI (for the single player types), major graphics issues, major balance issues, serious disconnect between player advancement mechanics & game stratety, and a bunch of samey weapons, it's fine to call a spade a spade.

Sounds like Brink is a game that could be excellent with more dev time/polish/patching, question will be if Splash Damage is able to do any of that.

But as the game was launched, it was a dud.

Probably not as bad of a dud as, say, FFXIV, but you can see SE using its deep pockets to try to reverse its fortune on that game. Question will really come down to whether Splash Damage has deep enough pockets to do the same.

First impressions: Fun. Easy to pick up and play. Lots of options and customization. Potentially addictive gameplay.

I see myself spending some good time with this, especially as an alternate to more immersive single player fare.

So far I'd give it a 7.5/10 with easy upside promise as I get to know it better and in light of this:

This is so true. A few nudges here and there and this thing is really going to shine. It's only day 1, folks. Don't get too down on this yet. :)

LA Noire possibly? Lol :p

You're probably right. A new Rockstar game is always a big deal even if we PC gamers get screwed over. (Glad I own a PS3.)

Rage a Borderlands rip-off? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't development on Rage started LONG before Borderlands?

In any case, I can understand the confusion. Borderlands was released first, so the assumption that Rage is a rip-off of Borderlands makes some sense.

Anway, back to the topic of this thread. When does this game unlock? I have it pre-ordered and still cannot play it.

And you think the dev team of Borderlands was privy to anything that they were doing at Rage?

Borderlands has been out for a long time, and Rage isnt out yet. Rage could have easily used some of what Borderlands did. Not the other way around.

Looks like I wont be buying Brink, looked good too. Ill just wait till they patch it up some.

And you think the dev team of Borderlands was privy to anything that they were doing at Rage?

Borderlands has been out for a long time, and Rage isnt out yet. Rage could have easily used some of what Borderlands did. Not the other way around.

Interesting point. I still expect Rage to be a very good game.

Looks like I wont be buying Brink, looked good too.

Wait a bit and keep tabs. Don't write it off completely this soon. LOTS of promise here.

And here I go again, with double standards and Valve attached to them...oh well, I don't care, here goes:

Portal 2 is released and it's the best thing since sliced bread, because most review sites gave it an extremely high score...

Brink is out and the majority of reviews is positive, but all review sites should be taken with a large grain of salt because anyone can run a game review site...

:rolleyes:

And here I go again, with double standards and Valve attached to them...oh well, I don't care, here goes:

Portal 2 is released and it's the best thing since sliced bread, because most review sites gave it an extremely high score...

Brink is out and the majority of reviews is positive, but all review sites should be taken with a large grain of salt because anyone can run a game review site...

:rolleyes:

LOL, funny how that works isn't it?

The game JUST came out. A little patience, folks.

Back