Brink, thoughts?

Reviews are mixed, and averaging around 6/10. Only one review above 8/10 so far.

Kinda knew it wouldn't be anything special, glad I passed. Learned my lesson after quake wars.

I smelled the stench of console port on this POS from ten miles away, but I bought in anyway. Stupid. Wolf:ET is the only decent game Splash Damage will ever make and I'm quite confident that era is over.. We're now in the era of the shitass console port. Fuck me.

Yeah apparently AMD has dropped the ball on their drivers for this one. I am seriously tired of not being able to play games because their drivers are horrendous.

And all of a sudden, the sub $15 Section 8 Prejudice looks a whole lot better.

I've noticed a trend on the steam forums, nobody does anything but complain. I saw it with Crysis 2, Homefront, now Brink. Within half an hour of the game being released topic after topic just bitch bitch bitch. Ugh. I played for a couple of hours and found it pretty fun, they may need to adjust some maps choke points going forward but its good stuff. I was big into ET back in the day and I get a real vibe of that on this.

EDIT - and Yes it runs like ass on ATI. Anybody know what engine it's using?

[Paragon];1037232082 said:
I've noticed a trend on the steam forums, nobody does anything but complain. I saw it with Crysis 2, Homefront, now Brink. Within half an hour of the game being released topic after topic just bitch bitch bitch. Ugh. I played for a couple of hours and found it pretty fun, they may need to adjust some maps choke points going forward but its good stuff. I was big into ET back in the day and I get a real vibe of that on this.

In all fairness Homefront and Crysis 2 are widely considered medicore and Brink even 2 hours after release seems to be heading down that path from many other places opinions and reviews cropping up so far.

I guess like all things it's subjective, I enjoyed my time with crysis 2, and after they heavily patched homefront I found alot to like about multiplayer. Hopefully they can fix the issues with brink be a shame if the game died out before it really got a chance.

It's using idtech 4. That's right, the DOOM 3 engine. This game running like ass is roughly the same as if Portal 2 ran like ass with a modified version of the Source engine. They're both 7 years old.

Anyway, Crysis 2 was an OK game. A hell of a fuck lot better than this abomination. Didn't play Homefront, but it looked like a bland combo of Battlefield and CoD. Portal 2 drew a lot of ire from the community, but that game was a motherfucking masterpiece compared to Brink. Brink is just so bad. It tries to blend Enemy Territory style objective gameplay with uber-bland console shooter regenerating health bullshit gameplay and it ends up with this bland-across-the-board, clunky, annoying gameplay that just sucks compared to either of its progenitors.

I'm gonna go download W:ET and play that again. That shit is the bomb.

To be fair, that's the nature of a forum, especially a "customer support" forum, which in the case of Brink, they bought it through steam so they'll gripe to valve. It makes no sense, but that's how it is.

I played for about an hour.. I wouldn't say its terrible, but it hasn't fully pulled me in. I need some more time with it. some of the gameplay shows some promise, but I'll know more when playing with other people instead of the AI which isn't so great.

performance wise, it runs pretty bad...worst performer on my new system amongst black ops, bad company 2, crysis 2, portal etc. all of those run quite smooth on my system but brink feels quite choppy unfortunately

sigh, the game looks mediocre and runs like crap. Fraps says 60-70 fps but it feels like 30. I dunno, bad port or just a bad game? Online was kind of laggy as well and there is no K: D score or anything. I'm trying to figure out the purpose of this game lol. So far , $50 wasted. Awaiting day 1 patch.. not gonna write it off yet.

This is not a game centered around team DM and that's been well known for a while now. Your own fault if you were expecting CoD with parkour.

It is..... ok.

We'll see how long hype keeps this game afloat. I'm not sure if I'll still be playing it in a month, we'll see.

I haven't played it, but from the videos released it looks like you're standard team-based shooter with a little extra. To me, it seemed a lot like TF2.

I played it for a few hours tonight with some friends and had some fun. It runs horribly but hopefully that will be addressed soon. Took us forever to get a server that we could all join but once we managed that it was promising. I do wish I hadn't pre-ordered though, that's for sure.

Did you ever play Quake Wars?

I did, and if you're trying to imply that QW was a "turd" then you aren't really being funny. Quake Wars was a true team multiplayer game, unlike almost anything else in the market at the time and even today. Anyone that likes the generic CTF, Deathmatch and all those crappy old modes, will not enjoy QW, because if you don't create a balanced team and actually play as a team to complete objectives (instead of just trying to snipe everyone and increase your kill ratio), you will lose.

What's funny is that the IGN review isn't much more charitable than Joystiq. 6/10 and the heading is "An exercise in frustration". IGN got about the same impression as Joystiq, but just assigned a higher score.

It is more in-depth and they differ in many aspects.

What's striking in both, is that they complain about how frustrating some objectives are, which is extremely funny to read, when that's the nature of objectives. Any team based game where the team sucks and is forced to a corner in order to protect the last objective, is frustrating. This happens in ANY game, not just Brink. Utilizing that as Cons against the game is really quite stupid.

In Quake Wars the default timer was 20 minutes. If your team play was horrendous in any map and the other team completed 3 out of 4 objectives in 3-4 minutes, we would need to defend the last objective for over 15 minutes in order to win in that map. That's why team based gameplay is tougher and more rewarding. The IGN review mentions this for Brink and how it rewards working for the team and not being the "lone wolf", which is what the typical deathmatch player would try to do. If you want to win, you need to balance your team with the necessary assets for specific objectives.

It's using idtech 4. That's right, the DOOM 3 engine. This game running like ass is roughly the same as if Portal 2 ran like ass with a modified version of the Source engine. They're both 7 years old.

this is dumb, why do people say this

guys unreal engine was first playable in 1996 so the latest UE games are obviously on a horse shit 15 year old engine that has in no way been modernized and or had any piece of it rewritten while merely retaining the same name

Another fail. I was really hoping for this game to do well so I could have something new to play. Oh well, I hope this company gets dissolved, seems like they make nothing but shit games.

This is not what I wanted to read this morning... I haven't had a chance to play cause I have to be at work so early in the morning but was really hoping to get off work go home and have a kick ass game to play. Guess shooters on the PC will never be the same again:(

I haven't played it, but from the videos released it looks like you're standard team-based shooter with a little extra. To me, it seemed a lot like TF2.

That is what I thought and feared. Plus, the performance issues, while kind of normal for a new release, not acceptable for a game that supposedly was properly developed.

Probably going to be dead in 2 months. Maybe a miracle will happen but yeah.

That is what I thought and feared. Plus, the performance issues, while kind of normal for a new release, not acceptable for a game that supposedly was properly developed.

Probably going to be dead in 2 months. Maybe a miracle will happen but yeah.

2 months? That's a little generous isn't it?

Still waiting for this game to be released here in Australia, buying it off Steam right now you'll have to wait until 2 days until its unlocked.... pathetic, wish all release dates are the same in every region really, hope this game does not disappoint.

I think the decision to not have a proper server browser is just stupid, considering this game is meant to be played exclusively multiplayer. You don't even know if your connecting to a server populated with real people or just bots until you're in, and then even checking the scoreboard seemed overly complicated jugding from that giantbomb vid.
I have to say I wasn't to interested in this game anyway, but I do like the art style.

It's pretty bad.

Also, we're not talking about one bad review here.... just about all of them are predominantly negative. When all reviews are pretty much consistent that a game is a disappointment, that should tell you something.

I'll give it a few more days of play before I give up on it, but I'm not optimistic. The game just doesn't feel smooth at all.

One of the advantages of buying physical copies.....being able to cancel your pre-order before they ship :D

havent played yet, was first taken back by all the extreme negative commentary here, but after reading the review roundup, it doesnt seem NEARLY as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Plus they confirmed the joystiq review was someone who played about 1 hour total.

Anywy, hoping to get home tonight and not be totally disappointed.

Another fail. I was really hoping for this game to do well so I could have something new to play. Oh well, I hope this company gets dissolved, seems like they make nothing but shit games.

What an idiotic thing to say...

Also, have you even played the game ?

Sure, there are a few things that need to be polished, but I enjoy the gameplay.... the AI is a bit stupid, but im sure it can be fixed...

The MP was kinda fun. Granted no real server browser, but it was still fun!

havent played yet, was first taken back by all the extreme negative commentary here, but after reading the review roundup, it doesnt seem NEARLY as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Plus they confirmed the joystiq review was someone who played about 1 hour total.

Anywy, hoping to get home tonight and not be totally disappointed.

Keep us posted :p

tried playing for about an hour. It seems like it might be ok but the performance is horrible right now. I also had to go lookup doom3 console commands to get my resolution to work. There is indeed a server browser though. The button is just worked very weird and is not obvious. I will be giving it more time, as i think this could be a lot of fun if my fps wasn't 20.

Called to cancel my local pre-order after watching the Giant Bomb quick look last night. I thought the in game HUD looks ridiculous, the campaign is a joke, and the action didn't look terribly fun with the weapons they showed (this was the main thing that killed it for me).

Back