Brink, thoughts?

More players probably wouldn't work given that most of the maps I've seen from Brink are corridors and small rooms, particualrly around objectives (where we could assume will house the most player activity). 8v8 could be the sweet spot.

The only poster I see trying to force their opinions and preferences on everyone else is spindoctor. No one else is allowed to breathe outside his dictated scope for this yet unreleased game otherwise fear the wrath of his hyperbolic arguments. :rolleyes:

Filling the vacuum left by WabeWalker?

I think the irony is how you fail to recognize the nuisances in the arguments or the fact that his response to anyone who disagrees with him is to characterize any valid expression of dissent as whiny.

I'm pretty sure that's not what "irony" means. And did you mean "nuances" or "nuisances"?

The only poster I see trying to force their opinions and preferences on everyone else is spindoctor. No one else is allowed to breathe outside his dictated scope for this yet unreleased game otherwise fear the wrath of his hyperbolic arguments. :rolleyes:

Have you read a single one of defiant's posts? That would apply equally to the both of them. The difference is that his opinions seem to correspond with your own and spindoctor's don't; from an impartial standpoint they're both doing exactly the same thing.

Have you read a single one of defiant's posts? That would apply equally to the both of them. The difference is that his opinions seem to correspond with your own and spindoctor's don't; from an impartial standpoint they're both doing exactly the same thing.

This is the Internet. Impartiality has no place here. :D

Yea man, you got me. How stupid of me to presume that a multiplayer game does not need large player counts to be good. Congratulations, you have won your internet argument.

Yeah it seems that SD has a checklist of things that shit people off in multiplayer, and it is trying to address each one. Being able to see how many of each class are on your team? That is something BF should definitely incorporate. I also like being able to mantle or "LedgeGrab" and am surprised it hasn't been done sooner in FPS games. Crysis 2 is the only other FPS I've seen have such a practical and obvious feature.

I'll wait for feedback on release but I'm optimistic about this one.

Yeah it seems that SD has a checklist of things that shit people off in multiplayer, and it is trying to address each one. Being able to see how many of each class are on your team? That is something BF should definitely incorporate. I also like being able to mantle or "LedgeGrab" and am surprised it hasn't been done sooner in FPS games. Crysis 2 is the only other FPS I've seen have such a practical and obvious feature.

I'll wait for feedback on release but I'm optimistic about this one.

Well, CoD2 had it. Unfortunately it was easy to mantle a ledge instead of just jumping near one and pulling off sneaky shots, but it still worked well.

The game description basically says you build up and establish your character over both single player and mulitplayer.

I'm not really clear what kind of an SP component this thing has. Can someone shed some light on that for me?

The game description basically says you build up and establish your character over both single player and mulitplayer.

I'm not really clear what kind of an SP component this thing has. Can someone shed some light on that for me?

Basically there are 2 game modes campaign and freeplay. Think of freeplay as your run of the mill dedicated servers with a map rotation and custom game play changes.

Campaign mode is available in 3 formats; Single Player, Co-op, Versus. The way it accomplishes this is ALWAYS 8v8 Security Vs. Resistance(Bots fill in where needed). The story is written so that you can play and complete the missions in any order while there being no spoilers. There are cut scenes between each mission that players can opt to skip.

There is drop in and out player support so a guy who thinks he is playing single player might be playing against a few guys in coop and might have teammates that are playing versus. This is of course an option and most likely the real reason there is no VoIP by default until Rank 5 (level 20)

The losing team will be migrated to a new host and have to replay the mission until they complete it. The winning team will stay on the same server and move on to the next mission.

You can also progress your character(s) in free play mode over time which is why the story is written the way it is.

If you're wondering for PC's there is FULL dedicated server support and p2p options.

Last edited:
I'm on a hair trigger for pre-ordering when after the sale and 15% off at D2D I can get the Steam Peorder for $38....pretty sure I just talked myself into it! I'm just not 100% on this title yet, wish there was more out there! Good info in this thread though!

I'm on a hair trigger for pre-ordering when after the sale and 15% off at D2D I can get the Steam Peorder for $38....pretty sure I just talked myself into it! I'm just not 100% on this title yet, wish there was more out there! Good info in this thread though!

i did exactly that - preordered from D2D for $38. i think it's going to be great.

Basically there are 2 game modes campaign and freeplay. Think of freeplay as your run of the mill dedicated servers with a map rotation and custom game play changes.

Campaign mode is available in 3 formats; Single Player, Co-op, Versus. The way it accomplishes this is ALWAYS 8v8 Security Vs. Resistance(Bots fill in where needed). The story is written so that you can play and complete the missions in any order while there being no spoilers. There are cut scenes between each mission that players can opt to skip.

There is drop in and out player support so a guy who thinks he is playing single player might be playing against a few guys in coop and might have teammates that are playing versus. This is of course an option and most likely the real reason there is no VoIP by default until Rank 5 (level 20)

The losing team will be migrated to a new host and have to replay the mission until they complete it. The winning team will stay on the same server and move on to the next mission.

You can also progress your character(s) in free play mode over time which is why the story is written the way it is.

If you're wondering for PC's there is FULL dedicated server support and p2p options.

Sounds fantastic to me. Now I'm REALLY looking forward to it. :)

steam pre-load is available

BrinkPreload.png

see that plus just above the scroll bar shown in my screenshot? click that and there's an option to enable the icons.

Thoughts on Brink?

My intitial thoughts based on the screenshots and video are:

It's a shame it looks so ugly. Not bad, mind you, just ugly, in the truest sense of the word.

Borderlands, despite having a similar "post-apocalyptic / cyberpunk" style to it, had more appealing character design. CoD/BF games (and most FPS games for that matter) have appealing design to their characters as well, so you actually want to "be" the person you are playing, or desire to have them as your in-game avatar and grow attached to their look and customizing them.

This looks more like they dredged up a bunch of homeless people and washed out punk rockers, popped a few cans of paint, lined up some amateur tattoo artists, and a random assortment of narcotics, and threw the whole lot into a room-sized washer/dryer and set it to a spin cycle. Only they forgot to add any water or detergent.

Who actually wants a scumbag to be their in-game avatar? For most that is undesirable / unappealing. You could put a million polygons into the character models and they'd still be repulsive because you modeled douchebag rejects.

I hope we're nearing the bottom of this devolution in game atmosphere and character design rises up from here.

Perhaps the gameplay is amazing, but will it be enough to overcome unappealing visuals? I'm not sure it will for me.

Thoughts on Brink?

It's a shame it looks so ugly. Not bad, mind you, just ugly, in the truest sense of the word.

Borderlands, despite having a similar "post-apocalyptic / cyberpunk" style to it, had more appealing character design. CoD/BF games (and most FPS games for that matter) have appealing design to their characters as well, so you actually want to "be" the person you are playing, or desire to have them as your in-game avatar and grow attached to their look and customizing them.

This looks more like they dredged up a bunch of homeless people and washed out punk rockers, popped a few cans of paint, lined up some amateur tattoo artists, and a random assortment of narcotics, and threw the whole lot into a room-sized washer/dryer and set it to a spin cycle. Only they forgot to add any water or detergent.

Who actually wants a scumbag to be their in-game avatar? For most that is undesirable / unappealing. You could put a million polygons into the character models and they'd still be repulsive because you modeled douchebag rejects.

I hope we're nearing the bottom of this devolution in game atmosphere and character design rises up from here.

Perhaps the gameplay is amazing, but will it be enough to overcome unappealing visuals? I'm not sure it will for me.

Who the hell wants to be a vietcong, taliban or nazi? And yet, people play them all the time. It´s a game man, treat it as such.

Thoughts on Brink?

I think it looks fine in terms of fidelity and aesthetics. The vagrant thing works for me because it fits the story of the game. They basically are vagrants. I'd be more annoyed if it was a post-apocalyptic game set on a floating free-for-all city and everyone was geared up looking like some technowarrior.

Sounds pretty awesome actually :D

It´s a game man, treat it as such.

Hey bud, to each his own. Our thoughts were solicited, and I shared mine. The character models do not appeal to me.

Who the hell wants to be a vietcong, taliban or nazi? And yet, people play them all the time.

That's unrelated to what I was saying. I was describing the ugliness of the characters, not what team they represent.

Brink has good guys (a police force) and bad guys, but nearly all of the characters are designed ugly and trashy. That is where I shared my opinion that i find that very unappealing and look forward to more appealing character models in future games.

And to your unrelated argument, plenty of people find it interesting to play a "bad guy", but again that has nothing to do with what I was saying.

I bought the game last night and am downloading the preload right now, sweet :D.

I almost never preorder games but I really like the look and feel of this game from what I've seen in previews, and I might as well buy it now for the bonus items so I don't forget.

Hopefully you took advantage of D2D's 25% off sale and picked it up for $37

Hopefully you took advantage of D2D's 25% off sale and picked it up for $37

Aw damn it, are you kidding me? How do they keep doing that?

Alright, that's it. From now on, I check them first. Steam's got to get on the ball better than this.

game looks terrible. looks like borderlands and i hate it. BUT i will try a demo or something. Might be fun. But as of right now I will DEF not be buying it

game looks terrible. looks like borderlands and i hate it. BUT i will try a demo or something. Might be fun. But as of right now I will DEF not be buying it

Visual design wise, yes it looks like Borderlands. In terms of gameplay, it's absolutely nothing whatsoever like Borderlands. In terms of gameplay, it's closer to Splash Damage's other games, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Quake Wars.

Yep, totally like Borderlands. I am personally outraged at this blatant ripoff. I mean who are these Splash Damage guys think they are anyway? They seriously need to stop stealing other developers' franchises!

Last I read they weren't doing a demo and they keep taking down the gameplay videos so I think I will wait on this one.

I made the mistake of buying Homefront when it came out and even at $19.99 after Amazon coupon I feel like I wasted my money.

For me looks like it will be an okay in-between game. Would really like to find some information on eyefinity or surround support. But nothing about that that i can find . Certainly not going to be a everyday player for me but looks to be fun just the same.

Yes the D2D version loads, just take the key you get from your D2D account and add it to steam, I already have mine pre-loaded.

Last I read they weren't doing a demo and they keep taking down the gameplay videos so I think I will wait on this one.

I made the mistake of buying Homefront when it came out and even at $19.99 after Amazon coupon I feel like I wasted my money.

They are taking down game play videos from consumers.. not from previews/reviews/events. The reason is because the game isn't suppose to be released yet. But you can watch streams of bad console players on justin.tv

Got my game pre-loaded on Steam, and have the day off from work on release day! Can't wait to fire it up!

Anyone know if this works on triple monitor setups (eyefinity or NVsurround)? I just checked out the get smart videos and this game looks pretty good, and I haven't played a good multiplayer game in months. I want to preorder but don't want to take the risk of it not working.

If no one knows, for Direct 2 Drive, you can still get the game for $37
ALL you have to do is pre-order than enter SIZZLE for the promo, gives you 25%

I just did this about 2 minutes ago and am now pre-loading on Steam!

Back