Both versions of MGS V coming to Steam.

To get the unloackables from Ground Zeroes, can you simply use a save file, or do you need to have actually played Ground Zeroes and go through it's own menu?

Was hoping you could simply drop it into a folder and TPP would simply scan for it and fin dit and unlock things.

Yea, the game was patched and added an upload save file option in the main menu. (PC version)

cool thanks...guess I just never noticed it...just went in and uploaded my save file...I mentioned this earlier in the thread but I wonder if it just uploads the latest save...for example, if I get a higher score but rescue fewer prisoners will that count over rescuing more prisoners but getting an overall lower score?...

To get the unloackables from Ground Zeroes, can you simply use a save file, or do you need to have actually played Ground Zeroes and go through it's own menu?

Was hoping you could simply drop it into a folder and TPP would simply scan for it and fin dit and unlock things.

You can download a save but you have to upload it through the option in GZ.

Dang, I don't have GZ since I got TPP from an Nvidia code.

Anyone by any chance have an extra GZ code from pre ordering and dont' need it or anything?

Dang, I don't have GZ since I got TPP from an Nvidia code.

Anyone by any chance have an extra GZ code from pre ordering and dont' need it or anything?

doesn't seem like anything that important...just a little more backstory...I'm not sure the rescued prisoners are going to provide some huge advantage on your base...just wait until the next Steam sale and get Ground Zeroes for cheap (I got it during the Summer sale for $4.99)

First four I believe. I'll try to hunt down a better list

so even if you didn't play GZ, you can still get access to those same recruits?...you just get them earlier by having played the prologue

sounds interesting...

"“People will be able to return to Camp Omega in The Phantom Pain,” he told Geoff Keighley in a Gamescom video interview...“There’s actually something of a big feature involved, which has never been done in the games industry before. I can’t go into detail about it, but I think when you experience it for yourselves you’ll be surprised...It’s something that’s only possible through video games.”

so even if you didn't play GZ, you can still just get access to those same recruits?...you just get them earlier by having played the prologue

Pretty sure you have to play GZ to get them. Though if you have GZ you could just download a 100% save file and upload that.

Looks like 2 good PC ports and excellent pc gaming for the next several weeks. I have my serious stealth game in MGS 5 and then my guilty pleasure in Mad Max for when I want to blow stuff up.

Ack downloading now <300 kb/s :eek:

Edit:
OK now going almost full speed lol. 4.1 MB/s

Last edited:
Getting between 7 and 7.9MB. The server I download from on Steam never seems to have issues during launches. Even during Steam sales it's not unbearably bad.

Getting between 7 and 7.9MB. The server I download from on Steam never seems to have issues during launches. Even during Steam sales it's not unbearably bad.

I imagine Steam got hit with a decent amount of traffic, especially with this not having a pre-load. Also, Mad Max dropped at the same time.

Hopegully it downloads quick, but I have MM to dick around in while it does.

I am surprised the servers haven't got bogged down (at least the one I'm using).

Getting miy cap of 12mbs, got 13 min left.

edit: Same can not be said for Konami's shit servers. Can't login when the game starts, no mp or anything will work without logging in.

Last edited:
Steam is downloading very slow for me...my connection is 50/50 so it's probably the NY server...do people normally use the Steam download server closest to their location or do they manually choose another one?

Steam is downloading very slow for me...my connection is 50/50 so it's probably the NY server...do people normally use the Steam download server closest to their location or do they manually choose another one?

I'm also on the NY server. Connection is 50/5, but I actually get more like 60Mbps. Steam will typically max out my connection at 7.3 MB/S. As this downloads, I've seen it bounce around between 4.5 to 6.9 MB/S. Good enough, all things considered.

6 minutes to go.

I've only just played GZ..... and tbh, I find the controls a bit clunky, and it sort of made playing it hard. How do you guys feel about the controls? Is it just me?

I've only just played GZ..... and tbh, I find the controls a bit clunky, and it sort of made playing it hard. How do you guys feel about the controls? Is it just me?

Assuming they are the same as GZ,wasn't a problem for me (which is probably a first for the MGS series)

I plan to play with my Xbox one controller. But yea when I tried using KB/M I found it clunky. But I have to sleep and go to work early tomorrow. Have fun guys.

How long is it till unlock?

Realised I forgot to preorder it yesterday so I wanted to see if I have last chance today.

Im impressed with this release, not a hitch in my download. 20 GB in 30 minutes, not too shabby. Covered 20 and got 10 to go, probably gonna watch that hour long intro and get to bed, got class in the mornin' oh I cant wait to have alone time with this game!

The opening mission had me all like......"What in the hell is going on???"

Just got out of there and starting up the open world bit now, seems like fun.

Playing with a kb/mouse my main gripe is the lack of mouse use in the menu's. This is something that annoys me a lot about console ports, when they only allow you to move through menus with the arrow keys or w/s/a/d, like the mouse doesn't exist or something, just feels very strange.

However the actual controls seems fine, I haven't noticed any kind of mouse acceleration and there's plenty of options for graphics and complete key binding, etc.

Also does anyone know if thiere's a way to set the controls to use "toggle" for certain actions instead of pressing and holding?

LIke using the binoculars, it's really really cumbersome to have to press (and hold) the f key, while pressing the v key to zoom in/out, a toggle function would be 10x better in that regard.

Also the Konami servers are borked, at first it simply wouldn't connect, now it says they are down for maintenance. So no leaderboards, mp, GZ save uploads or anything.

Last edited:
I've not installed TPP as of yet, but I'm glad to report that, just like Ground Zeroes, PC players have the option of choosing English or Japanese voices. However, this must be done from Steam itself - right click on the listing in Steam, go to Properties > Language tab > and then pick Japanese or English. In Ground Zeroes, you could select subtitles of your chosen language in game, so I expect subs will be enabled or disabled in TPP in-game as well.

For those who may not be aware, the English voice actor for Snake in Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain is Kiefer Sutherland, where prior to these titles Snake was always voiced by David Hayter. Sutherland has a different take on Snake's voice than Hayter, some like it, some don't, but I do think if thy were going to replace Hayter at all at this point, he was a good choice. Conversely, the Japanese VO for Snake, Akio Otsuka is the same going all the way back to the original MGS!

Anyone notice the voice lip syncing off?

I assume it's because all the dialogue was originally written in Japanese and so was the lip syncing.

I just finished the prologue and the game looks gorgeous and runs absolutely flawlessly at max settings. I'm off to bed now but definitely looking forward to playing more.

the KB/M controls in Ground Zeroes were terrible...they are a bit better in Phantom Pain but still not ideal...they streamlined a lot of settings so not as many options...that being said the NumPad and side Mouse buttons are still not mappable

First hour or more is Cinema I'm using Input Mapper on this game with a Duoshock.
That way I can watch the movie....

Seems like this game is well received everywhere.

Got the TPP at the last minute which also includes GZ.

do I need to enable HBAO+ specifically from the Phantom Pain profile (with the new Nvidia drivers) or will it work under Global Settings as well?...I almost never use Program specific settings and always tweak my Global Settings...and will future drivers also require the profile to work?

looking at the Nvidia Tweak guide there seems to be a pretty significant difference between the default SSAO versus the Nvidia driver exclusive HBAO+...

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...m-pain-nvidia-control-panel-ambient-occlusion

Back