Borderlands 3

I actually don't remember any of that, either. They must have added that stuff after I stopped playing, because I don't remember it being there on launch or soon after.

Yeah, they added it sometime after launch. If you go to the BL2 store page in Steam, for example, today you will see a decent sized list of cosmetic DLC available for purchase (along with some very basic level 1 loot DLC). Some of it may be free now, haven’t checked in a long time, but they were definitely charging for it in the past.

There were tons of paid cosmetics and lots of free ones as well in BL2. Anyone complaining about this is looking for something to complain about. Drama for the sake of drama. Too bad Randy even replies to it as it stokes the fires.

There were tons of paid cosmetics and lots of free ones as well in BL2. Anyone complaining about this is looking for something to complain about. Drama for the sake of drama. Too bad Randy even replies to it as it stokes the fires.

Yeah I really don't know what the issue is either. Seems normal for a Borderlands game.

Yeah I really don't know what the issue is either. Seems normal for a Borderlands game.
Exactly. It is not even put in your face, you literally have to go looking for it to find it. Not really sure, but I have never really considered skins and such to be "micro-transactions." Not pay to win, or unlock different parts of the game, I really do not care. There are a lot of things to beat on Randy for, but this is not one of them. At the end of the day, vote with your wallet.

It is. The issue a lot of people had is that it is technically microtransactions and Randy promised “no microtransactions”. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here and assume he simply doesn’t think of them that way and misspoke on stage. Pitchford’s inability to admit he made a mistake or clarify what he was saying made it an even bigger mess. His reaction just gave people more ammo to use against him. He answers a lot of questions on Twitter, which is great, he just needs to dial back a bit when it comes to responding to stuff like this.

It is. The issue a lot of people had is that it is technically microtransactions and Randy promised “no microtransactions”. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here and assume he simply doesn’t think of them that way and misspoke on stage. Pitchford’s inability to admit he made a mistake or clarify what he was saying made it an even bigger mess. His reaction just gave people more ammo to use against him. He answers a lot of questions on Twitter, which is great, he just needs to dial back a bit when it comes to responding to stuff like this.
He literally stated that heads and skins would still be in the game like before in the sentence previous to the one about the micro transactions.

Even if there are microtransactions, what is it really hurting? What advantage does something like that give a player in a choice co-op game when experience is shared? Is there a PVP system in the new game I am unaware of?

He literally stated that heads and skins would still be in the game like before in the sentence previous to the one about the micro transactions.

Mhm. Like I said, I don't think Pitchford really considers them microtransactions. When the media started harping on about microtransactions Pitchford should have said something like "I don't consider them microtransactions" or "I was specificity free-to-play/pay-to-win mechanics" or whatever. Instead, he allows the media to goad him into reacting the way he usually does and it just gives people more ammo. It's only going to create more controversy.

A quick apology would have done wonders to chill the situation out. But then it just got into the whole Claptrap/Eddings drama. Which I don't think was drama on the sake of drama, if the lawsuit thing is valid and ongoing.

A quick apology would have done wonders to chill the situation out. But then it just got into the whole Claptrap/Eddings drama. Which I don't think was drama on the sake of drama, if the lawsuit thing is valid and ongoing.
Randy made the situation a lot worse than it was, no doubt about that. And even addressing the Dave Eddings situation was the wrong move. Randy needs to hire some good PR people and hide in the shadows.

Even if there are microtransactions, what is it really hurting? What advantage does something like that give a player in a choice co-op game when experience is shared? Is there a PVP system in the new game I am unaware of?

i mean people love to complain about microtransactions but in the end, if people are opening their wallet, then they won't stop, cosmetic or not.

I don't get why people get all bent out of shape about it. just don't spend the money on them.

i mean people love to complain about microtransactions but in the end, if people are opening their wallet, then they won't stop, cosmetic or not.

I don't get why people get all bent out of shape about it. just don't spend the money on them.

People have no self control. This is the inclusion generation, people want to feel like they're part of something, even something so silly as having a mulit colored gun in a video game. It makes them feel important.

Just like writing this comment, I want to feel educated on a subject so people will think highly of me.....:writer:

Because jumping outrage bandwagons is low/no effort -- taking the bad microtransactions (paying money to gain a competitive advantage in a PvP) and then broad brushing all microtransactions - including goofy heads and skins in a PvE like Borderlands - as all the same.

Weirder is some of the people griping don't even play the game in question, or play videogames at all. Or it's old timers griping about a bygone era where the pay model was different and are unhappy about the generational shift.

yeah i don't really have a problem with microtransactions as long as it doesn't effect game play then let the developers have at it. i have no reason to buy them but some people are into that kind of shit and it's their money to spend how they want to spend it.

Or it's old timers griping about a bygone era where the pay model was different and are unhappy about the generational shift.
get. off. my. lawn. ;)
if it doesn't affect PVP idk. let the kids have their rainbow guns.

For those in the "games should cost lest on EGS" crowd... Epic is having a sizeable sale now through June 13th. During that time, you can pre-order BL3 for $10 off.

I really like what I'm seeing here in the gameplay preview. Addresses most of my nitpicks about BL1 and BL2.

The gunplay looks and sounds way more satisfying (BL2 guns were like plastic space guns with no weight to the shots, and scopes were too cartooney), the hitmarkers look better, higher res and better optimized HUD and UI elements, shotguns and projectile weapons fire great, you can shoot while sliding, and this Titan action skill for Moze looks like it's going to be a blast. Can't wait.

Last edited:
I hear they got a new VA for Claptrap in 3. I am prepared to be disappointed.

Apparently that voice actor and Pitchford essentially came to blows and it was ugly. (Don't sign off on that unless confirmed but I kept running into this and never saw it shot down)

Too bad in any event.

i thought it was because the VA was actually one of the guys working on it(designer or something) and he asked to actually get paid for it this time and pitchford said gtfo.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
He did the VA for free the first two times (since he was employed by RP), but no longer works for the company. He asked to be paid because he's not a Gearbox employee. (read that somewhere; 95% sure I'm remembering correctly)

He did the VA for free the first two times (since he was employed by RP), but no longer works for the company. He asked to be paid because he's not a Gearbox employee. (read that somewhere; 95% sure I'm remembering correctly)
Sounds like my ex. She did it free the first two times and then BAM! PayPal invoice.

I really like what I'm seeing here in the gameplay preview. Addresses most of my nitpicks about BL1 and BL2.

The gunplay looks and sounds way more satisfying (BL2 guns were like plastic space guns with no weight to the shots, and scopes were too cartooney), the hitmarkers look better, higher res and better optimized HUD and UI elements, shotguns and projectile weapons fire great, you can shoot while sliding, and this Titan action skill for Moze looks like it's going to be a blast. Can't wait.

The color by number graphics look so dated in 2019.

Am I the only one finding classes not interesting?
It seems less... borderland-ish. Used to be full of gimmicks

Classes have always been there. Unless you mean something other than setting up your character, but I used to laugh about the names you got as you set up skills based on the shields/ class items you picked up...

As far at the GFX being dated they are just evolved I bet they spent a shit load of time making sure every ladder step in the Dr. Moreau swamp was detailed.
You have games like Ashen low poly games that just look good like you want to spend your whole weekend in the game just because it looks good and it doesn't have speed trees everywhere.

I just got an update/DLC to BL2 with what is supposed to be a transition between 2 & 3. Guess I need to do a new run through, although it's suppsedt ot let you create a level 32 character and just do the DLC.

It looks like it also resets your config.

I just got an update/DLC to BL2 with what is supposed to be a transition between 2 & 3. Guess I need to do a new run through, although it's suppsedt ot let you create a level 32 character and just do the DLC.

It looks like it also resets your config.

That's a lvl 30 bump they give you and it didn't reset my config. Still like I had it.

Hmm, I had to reset my video config (played it 2 weeks ago) had to bump it back up to 1440. Well, going to be a few days until I can see what the new dlc is like, about 2/3 into the main storyline again, want to get through at least it before I get to the new stuff.

Back