Borderlands 3

No microtransactions? Well...Okay, that pretty much takes care of my concerns about how they'll do monetization. BL2 had way too much DLC, but I'll take it over loot boxes and microtransaction crap. Hopefully they avoid making people pay for level cap increases this time however.

Game looks good from what they showed. "Looks like Borderlands, but better" was the thought I had throughout. Really interested in seeing the skill trees for each character. Glad that you no longer have to completely respec to use other skills, but I wonder if you will still need to specialize in one tree in order to get the most use out of skill points.

Looks like they put everything in focus draw distance in the game not sure how that is going to play out. I like the room with the speakers and Shiv or Mouthpiece Boss.
The art team spent alot of time on it but if you ask me Rage 2 looks more fun =P

It's been 10 years 2009 since Borderlands one came out that game actually looked like a challenge.
This has so much going on but you can tell they tried to keep it toned down at the start of the game anyway.

Last edited:
Looks like they put everything is in focus draw distance in the game not sure how that is going to play out. I like the room with the speakers and Shiv or Mouthpiece Boss.
The art team spent alot of time on it but if you ask me Rage 2 looks more fun =P

I really like the design of a lot of what they showed off. I've always liked the character design in BL games. The hub/ship looked really cool too.

I'm still not sold on Rage 2. Everything about it feels so generic and "been there, done that". Even though its supposedly done by some of the folks that made Mad Max it seems to be missing whatever MM had that pushed it above being just another open world game. I hope I'm wrong, but I've been pretty "meh" on Rage 2 since it was announced.

When Pew Die Pie plays the game it will be the end of the world because I'm sure this is one of those games that made him successful in the first place.

Sheesh, ground textures determining enjoying the next Borderlands. I can't imagine enjoying anything thinkking that way.

Anyway, I'm totally pumped for this. I wasn't hugely into BL2 but you best believe I'm starting another playthrough after watching this stream.

Sheesh, ground textures determining enjoying the next Borderlands. I can't imagine enjoying anything thinkking that way.

Anyway, I'm totally pumped for this. I wasn't hugely into BL2 but you best believe I'm starting another playthrough after watching this stream.

I was simply commenting on the graphics as it was the first think I noticed when they started playing, since there wasn't any gun combat to comment on at the moment and the ground textures really stood out to me due to how detailed other stuff is. I tend to describe myself as a bit of a "texture whore" when it comes to games. Texture quality tends to be something I notice a lot and talk about when discussing graphics. Not sure why people act like I'm insulting their mother or something whenever I say something remotely negative about Borderlands.

I personally love the aesthetic. After playing both BL1 and BL2 for hundreds of hours each, and BL1 being my hands down favorite, I simply wanted more of that BL1 desert wasteland aesthetic, and it looks like they delivered exactly that with many of the quality-of-life refinements that were better in BL2.

Yeah... That stream is making it hard to keep my 'No Preorder' rule in place. Nothing outlandish presented, but everything I loved from the first pair of games turned up to 11 and seemingly polished up a bit. Guess I'll reinstall 2 and check out the 4K pack while I'm waiting.

Easy for me, its not on Steam.
COULD WE STAY ON THE TOPIC OF BORDERLANDS 3 AND NOT ALL THE POLITICS ATTACHED TO EPIC, RANDY, OR GEARBOX! START YOUR OWN THREAD FOR THAT PLEASE. SOME OF USE JUST WANT TO DISCUSS THE ACTUAL GAME!

So tired of seeing the whole EGS vs Steam tangent being brought into every thread discussing a particular game.

We get it.

Back on topic: the game looks fantastic! The series was never meant to be a display of graphical prowess, but rather a game full of fun and ridiculous gameplay. I had an absolute blast playing BL2 co-op with my buddies and we’re really looking forward to the next installment.

As long as I can find it somewhere 15-20% off before release, I don't care if it launches exclusively on MS DOS.

D5hNBLrX4AcvSfD?format=png&name=small.png

Christ. Is it hard for him to say “there won’t be paid loot boxes, just the chests we’ve done since Borderlands 2”. He is getting extremely angry about other people causing confusion when he won’t give a straight response either.

cell shading is starting to show its age...B3 looks flat to me...Gearbox better hope the characters are well developed and funny...

View attachment 158355
Christ. Is it hard for him to say “there won’t be paid loot boxes, just the chests we’ve done since Borderlands 2”. He is getting extremely angry about other people causing confusion when he won’t give a straight response either.

He's far too arrogant to admit that he was wrong or misleading in what he said. Or, he's just trying to cover up actual BS in the game.

Watched the live stream. Very happy to see what they are doing so far. A true successor to the series. Can't wait for September.

Reactions: jtm55
like this
This looks like more borderlands...

And the market (and foreign governmental regulation) has put pressure to make Randy NOT implement gambling loot boxes.

I'm starting to warm up to this...

Can't say I was overly impressed with anything shown, just more of what we come to expect from the franchise really. I was pleased to see they have brought back gibs and dismemberment though.

Seems like a case of semantics. The paid cosmetic stuff they had in BL2 was offered as optional “DLC”, same with some of the worthless early loot DLC. None of it was P2W, but just because it’s labeled as DLC doesn’t mean it isn’t equivalent to a micro transaction offering.

Seems like a case of semantics. The paid cosmetic stuff they had in BL2 was offered as optional “DLC”, same with some of the worthless early loot DLC. None of it was P2W, but just because it’s labeled as DLC doesn’t mean it isn’t equivalent to a micro transaction offering.

Yeah. Back when BL2 was out that stuff was just called cosmetic DLC. Now days low priced stuff like skins and costumes are labeled under micro transactions. Randy is just trying to argue that they don’t count in an attempt to save face. Instead of just admitting he was wrong about the classification as continuing to say “no microtrqnsactions” at this point is kind of lying to the consumer, even if it was originally unintentional.

Yeah. Back when BL2 was out that stuff was just called cosmetic DLC. Now days low priced stuff like skins and costumes are labeled under micro transactions. Randy is just trying to argue that they don’t count in an attempt to save face. Instead of just admitting he was wrong about the classification as continuing to say “no microtrqnsactions” at this point is kind of lying to the consumer, even if it was originally unintentional.

The main difference with microtransactions is that they are presented in game. DLC isn't shoved in your face. They can be low in price/cosmetic if they're not in game and the game isn't constantly advertising for you to buy something then it isn't a microtransaction. Back when Sleeping Dogs came out there were dozens of cosmetic DLC such as T-shirts with a Valve logo and whatnot. But you wouldn't know they existed unless you went to the Steam page and browsed the DLC section. But some other games may have a mission or a piece of gear organically sitting in the game world but when you approach it the option to interactive with it is grayed out and you may get a message saying you need to purchase it. Or another example is Counter Strike Global Offensive. When I loaded the main menu there were banners of advertisements telling me about new loot crates to purchase.

I hate all microtransactions, cosmetic or not. I don't want that stuff shoved in my face during gameplay. For MP games I hate paid or unlockable cosmetics in general because they tend to not fit the setting.

The main difference with microtransactions is that they are presented in game. DLC isn't shoved in your face. They can be low in price/cosmetic if they're not in game and the game isn't constantly advertising for you to buy something then it isn't a microtransaction. Back when Sleeping Dogs came out there were dozens of cosmetic DLC such as T-shirts with a Valve logo and whatnot. But you wouldn't know they existed unless you went to the Steam page and browsed the DLC section. But some other games may have a mission or a piece of gear organically sitting in the game world but when you approach it the option to interactive with it is grayed out and you may get a message saying you need to purchase it. Or another example is Counter Strike Global Offensive. When I loaded the main menu there were banners of advertisements telling me about new loot crates to purchase.

I hate all microtransactions, cosmetic or not. I don't want that stuff shoved in my face during gameplay. For MP games I hate paid or unlockable cosmetics in general because they tend to not fit the setting.

Its been a while since I played BL2 without DLC but I seem to recall (and might be doing so falsely) them advertising paid skins and heads in-game when you go to customize your appearance.

David Eddings will not be voicing Claptrap for BL3 because Gearbox apparently said they couldn't afford him.

For a little background for those unaware: Eddings worked at Gearbox as the VP of Strategic Partnerships and Licensing during the development of the previous Borderlands games. He voiced Claptap for "free" during that time as part of his workload. He was not paid extra for the voice work, but no one has said whether it is because GBX refused to pay extra for it or because he simply didn't ask. Since he now works at Rooster Teeth he, understandably, asked to be paid for his voice work this time. Looking at Eddings replies to folks responding to his tweet he does not seem bitter about leaving GBX or about them not wanting to pay whatever he was asking, it mostly comes down to him not wanting to do it if he wasn't going to be paid "enough" for his time as he is not a professional VA and doing so takes away from his other duties.

For the record, if Eddings hadn't said so I would never have known someone else was voice Claptrap in BL3, the VA GBX got sounded pretty damn close.

I don't know how much he was asking for so maybe it's not the case with him but video game voice actors massively overestimating their value seems to be a common theme.

Remember that gta 4 voice actor who thought he deserved millions? I appreciate good voice acting in games but a single voice actor is a tiny portion of the effort that goes into a game and really not that hard to replace.

Funy, dont recall any microtransation in bl2. If they were there they did a good job making them nit in your fsce.

Funy, dont recall any microtransation in bl2. If they were there they did a good job making them nit in your fsce.

You don't remember the large amount of skins and head options for sale? They weren't called microtransactions at the time, but that is what they are.

You don't remember the large amount of skins and head options for sale? They weren't called microtransactions at the time, but that is what they are.

I seriously dont recall anything for sale but i never changed my characters look after the initial creation.

Wow- I decided to look at the 4K skins in LB2, and they look god. But the gameplay is showing it's age... I really hope they have better map QA (tons of tiny ledges that stop running and jumping), and the guns (at least my current loadout) sound terrible.

I'm very interested on how this game is going to look compared to Borderlands 2. It doesn't look much different from the distance but when I crank it up to 1440P and all that snazzy detail they added it might look really nice I think everything in this game is going to be outlined or the draw distance where every frame is in focus.

Yeah, I'm playing on a 1440p UWUHD, and it tool a little fiddling to get BL2 set, but it really does look great with the much farther draw distances that can be supported. I think that bodes well for 3...

I actually don't remember any of that, either. They must have added that stuff after I stopped playing, because I don't remember it being there on launch or soon after.

Back