Borderlands 3

Domingo

Fully [H]
Weird! Have you checked in on any of the 3090 owners forums to see if that's an issue for the whole series?

I've seen a couple other posts here and there, but it's kinda tough finding other 3090 owners who are also playing Borderlands on Mayhem 10 :p
One thing I might have discovered yesterday is the Windows October Update's transparency function might be a possible culprit. I started trying things and after disabling that, I've had no crashes. Nothing in Horizon either, which is infamous for crashing on a ton of setups.

Domingo

Fully [H]
Huh, were you playing fullscreen windowed?

I've tried both. Both DX11 and DX12. Capping FPS to 60/120/Unlimited. Even tried some startup command line items people claimed to help. Nada on all of it. Sometimes it'll play for 30-45 minutes sans issues. Other times it'll crash in 5 minutes or back-to-back. In particular the Evil Brick and Mordecai fight was especially crashy. It took 5 tries to get through that one, and it wasn't easy to begin with. I haven't had a ton of time with it in the last day, but the desktop transparency thing fixed Horizon and Borderlands didn't crash in the 10 minutes I did spend with it yesterday.

Domingo

Fully [H]
Very strange, it's just the desktop transparency option?

As far as I can tell. It's under the desktop color setting "Transparency Effects." Not sure if it was introduced in the 20H2 update or I only just started using it with that update, but I think it could be an issue. I'll know more about Borderlands over the weekend, but Horizon hasn't crashed in 2 days and a lot of play.
It has been a while, but back in the Windows Vista days, a very similar transparency effect caused headaches for Nvidia drivers for a few months. That's actually why I went in and changed it. I remember having those issues like 10 years ago. Could totally be something else, too, though. Lord knows I've tried enough things related to re-installing drivers, re-plugging in the card, shuffling power plugs, etc. Most 3090 issues are related to PSU's, and I have a 1000w Corsair that's fairly new. Plus, stress tests all pass without a hitch.

EDIT: Got about 25 minutes to play on my lunch break. Managed to clear out a huge room of baddies and kill a boss sans any issue. Thinking that honestly might have done the trick. At the very least something I did made a difference.

Last edited:

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Honestly, all of the season 1 DLC's were pretty good, maybe not Lair of the Shadow Broker, or Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep, but solid expansions with new loot, NPC's, exploration, etc...

Is there anyone like the previous slaughter dome DLCs? Just never cared for those ones.

Story wise is it worth playing The Pre Sequel first? I got 2-3 hours in but really didn't like it. I did the Tales of BL game and BL1/2 + DLC.

Domingo

Fully [H]
Is there anyone like the previous slaughter dome DLCs? Just never cared for those ones.

Story wise is it worth playing The Pre Sequel first? I got 2-3 hours in but really didn't like it. I did the Tales of BL game and BL1/2 + DLC.

I never played the Pre-Sequel. I don't think a ton of people did. Even of the people that did, seems like a good chunk of people bailed quickly. There are already arena levels built into the main game, so they didn't add any more via via paid DLC, luckily.
Of the DLC's for Borderlands 3, Moxxi's Heist (the first one) and Guns, Love, & Tentacles (the second) are both really good. They're both story-based and could have easily been missions in the main game. They're as good or better than any of 'em. The seasonal levels of Heck and the Cartel Mansion are both terrific, too. Bounty of Blood and Psycho Krieg (DLC 3 & 4) both feel half-baked and don't really bring anything new or valuable to the table. Weapon-wise I haven't seen shit from either of them either.
The main game and the first 2 DLC's are what I'd recommend for anyone to buy.

DWolvin

2[H]4U
Mostly agreed- Bounty of Blood is good if you love spaghetti westerns, and Psycho Krieg is... weird (but neither is bad). I'd look for the season pass on sale, it seems to me it will be soon for the holidays, and $20~ish for all 4 is a steal.

infojunkie

Limp Gawd
Are all classes fun enough? Much enjoyed the series but somehow never started this one.
Probably will get it after I upgrade my graphic card

Domingo

Fully [H]
Are all classes fun enough? Much enjoyed the series but somehow never started this one.
Probably will get it after I upgrade my graphic card

Yeah, at this point they've done a pretty good job of strengthening the weaker classes/abilities and weakening the overpowered ones. Depending on your playstyle, you can have fun with all of the classes and abilities. The only thing I'd caution you about is FL4K. He's a terrific character, but playing him isn't what you might expect. All the character descriptions focus on him having a pet, but in reality the pet is mostly there to revive you. FL4K is basically all about doing crazy damage with his special attacks, but getting killed frequently. The pet is mainly there to bring you back. There are builds that make the pet better, but the damage trade-off is huge.

Comixbooks

[H]F Junkie

I like Amara's new skill and Moze the rest just suck maybe if I could change characters don't have the time to run though the game again =)

Domingo

Fully [H]
While I appreciate what they're trying to do with FL4K, it's going to be tough to give up Fade as a special ability. Plus, you can look at the skill tree on the Borderlands website and see that those abilities don't really even work in conjunction with the red and green trees that are so useful right now. It's basically an all or nothing pet build that's just not going to do that much damage. It makes him more durable and make the pet attacks better, but I don't really care if I can't deal huge burst damage. I'm of the opinion that the longer fights go, the tougher they tend to be and the more chances you have to have a fluke death.

DWolvin

2[H]4U
Yeah, I like FL4K, but I couldn't find anything even close to replacing fade. I started a Moze, and might give Amara a try for season 2, but they are going to have to show some actual story before I'll buy a pass.

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
While I appreciate what they're trying to do with FL4K, it's going to be tough to give up Fade as a special ability. Plus, you can look at the skill tree on the Borderlands website and see that those abilities don't really even work in conjunction with the red and green trees that are so useful right now. It's basically an all or nothing pet build that's just not going to do that much damage. It makes him more durable and make the pet attacks better, but I don't really care if I can't deal huge burst damage. I'm of the opinion that the longer fights go, the tougher they tend to be and the more chances you have to have a fluke death.
I used Fade once and did not like it, never went back after that.

Domingo

Fully [H]
I used Fade once and did not like it, never went back after that.

Really? Damn. It absolutely does crazy damage. Maybe the most of any single attack sequence in the entire game. You do have to totally pour everything in stack damage to maximize it, though. Different strokes I guess.

Denpepe

[H]ard|Gawd
I usually stick to moze, damage is good and I never run out of ammo, still need to do the last DLC on the 3 other toons. Will see what else they got in the pass b4 getting it.