Black Ops 2 revealed - November 13th

Sorry, I couldn't disagree more. And I look at myself and what I used to do to come to my opinions on the matter. It's like so many people on here are afraid to admit their own faults. I downloaded thousands upon thousands of mp3's before ITunes came out. Has nothing to do with technology. It was all about me saving myself thousands upon thousands of dollars. I can also admit I did the same for PC Games. How can anyone in their right mind after doing this say it's the devolopers' faults (or technology's lol) and that piracy had nothing to do with it? It's insane to think otherwise.

Is that why the music and movie industries have had record profits that last couple of years? Just because you were a major thief doesn't mean everybody was. Nobody is claiming piracy doesn't hurt but to say it killed the industry is just plain stupid, they did it to themselves more than anything. I see were both pretty adamant on the subject so lets agree to disagree... :)

Is that why the music and movie industries have had record profits that last couple of years? Just because you were a major thief doesn't mean everybody was. Nobody is claiming piracy doesn't hurt but to say it killed the industry is just plain stupid, they did it to themselves more than anything. I see were both pretty adamant on the subject so lets agree to disagree... :)

I said ITunes saved the industry. So yes, the music industry is thriving right now. Has nothing to do with the past and what pirating did to it. Think of consoles and mobile gaming as PC's game's ITunes.

I said ITunes saved the industry. So yes, the music industry is thriving right now. Has nothing to do with the past and what pirating did to it. Think of consoles and mobile gaming as PC's game's ITunes.

I think most PC gamers are just in denial.

I think most PC gamers are just in denial.

Denial of what?

I don't think you and Focker have a real good understanding about iTunes and how it affected music sales. The music industry be-grudgingly let Apple sell music on iTunes because of their proprietary lock down with the iTunes, mac, ipods and later iphones. At the time prices and sales were not effecting overall profitability. When it did finally explode the music industry tried to bully/force Apple to raise it's prices and push entire albums instead of single tracts. Apple at that time was big enough to say no. How on earth did that save the music industry? If the music industry would have pushed out their own websites and fair price structure they may have been able to counteract Apple, but they refused to adopt to the Internet, period. They would to this day love to kill the internet. Yes piracy hurt, like it does with any industry and it is partially to blame or it could be just as much fault as the music industry's failure to adapt, but it didn't KILL anything by itself.

Last edited:
Yes but the record labels do not think iTunes saved them. Perhaps they never will. That is the real problem. The record labels will never admit it was possible to make money off of a different business model.

I agree the game industry is weak and they blame PC gaming but at the same time they keep making poor choice after poor choice in PC gaming then wonder why no one wants to buy their games. Reminds me of the tablet craze, people all said the new slate tablets are new, but they arent, and they say no one wants convertible tablets. But no one ever built a powerful convertible tablet and they over priced the convertible tablets they had for years. Then they wondered why people jumped on slates when they were litterally 1/3 the price. They said no one wants convertible tablets. But then the asus transformer comes out and sells out hard for months. Every hippy I see in the airport has a keyboard attachment for their iPad.... Ya , no one wanted convertible tablets yet for some reason they are all paying $100 - 200 to turn their slate into a convertible tablet.

In the end it comes down to you go where the easy money is, the easy money is in consoles, kids play it with tremendous input lag, on terrible TVs, they use garbage controllers, on terribly old hardwar, they pay xbl to access the internet, on top of paying for their internet. Its easy money, so you push that and start leaving shit out of all other platforms to try to push more people over to the easy money system. It not even about piracy its about laziness. You can produce a much lower quality product and sell it. And because it is a closed system and the buy in price is low, people cannot directly compare it, so you can tell them any BS you want like, oh yeah the hardware is old, but you know its more efficient.

Piracy in PC gaming is nothing close to what it used to be. The value of steam and your account has grown beyond that. Any multiplayer game pretty much kills piracy with the need to authenticate to join servers. It is just not an issue. The mass consumer is not pirating PC games like they used too. The bigger problem is in fact that utter crap has been produced. I just have no reason to buy hardly any games now. I actually buy games only because they are on sale then I don't even play them. It is messed up.

Sorry, I couldn't disagree more. And I look at myself and what I used to do to come to my opinions on the matter. It's like so many people on here are afraid to admit their own faults. I downloaded thousands upon thousands of mp3's before ITunes came out. Has nothing to do with technology. It was all about me saving myself thousands upon thousands of dollars. I can also admit I did the same for PC Games. How can anyone in their right mind after doing this say it's the devolopers' faults (or technology's lol) and that piracy had nothing to do with it? It's insane to think otherwise.

Piracy doesn't have "nothing" to do with it, but it's way less than the industry would have you believe. It's clear when they throw out numbers like "50 billion dollars lost" or some inane shit like that.

And it's certainly not killing the industry. Piracy has been around virtually since PC games were first created. The internet makes it easier to obtain, sure, but I would argue that with DRM and other measures such as Steam and requiring valid keys for games, piracy has become harder than it was in the past when you could just "copy that floppy".

Piracy doesn't have "nothing" to do with it, but it's way less than the industry would have you believe. It's clear when they throw out numbers like "50 billion dollars lost" or some inane shit like that.

And it's certainly not killing the industry. Piracy has been around virtually since PC games were first created. The internet makes it easier to obtain, sure, but I would argue that with DRM and other measures such as Steam and requiring valid keys for games, piracy has become harder than it was in the past when you could just "copy that floppy".

It also wasn't a billion dollar industry back then. People made games more out of hobby than for the almighty dollar. You're all acting as if you're smarter than devolopers. You really aren't. (I know I'm not). If there were enough PC gamers (compared to consoles/mobile market) out there and it was impossible to pirate there would be a strong PC game market. Neither is true.

"So much hate...I don't know why real music fans hate Justin Bieber's music. If it's not for you then don't buy it, but don't be upset with everyone that does. It's obviously not shitty music if every year his albums breaks or comes close to sales records, it just might not be your cup of tea."

Now do you get it?

ohhhhh now i get it. that makes since, except i like COD, i guess im a 14 year old girl when it comes to video games.

ohhhhh now i get it. that makes since, except i like COD, i guess im a 14 year old girl when it comes to video games.

Well, seeing as how COD's main strengths are its popularity and its simplicity...pretty much, yeah. :rolleyes:

If COD was never released on consoles and played exactly like they do now on PCs they wouldn't get nearly the hate they do right now.

If COD was never released on consoles and played exactly like they do now on PCs they wouldn't get nearly the hate they do right now.

I would expect that if COD were never released on consoles, it wouldn't play exactly the way it does now. It wouldn't look the way it does now. It's BECAUSE it was released on consoles that it continues to cater to the lowest common denominator.

In the music industry, that's exactly what Justin Bieber does - another reason why the analogy is valid.

I would expect that if COD were never released on consoles, it wouldn't play exactly the way it does now. It wouldn't look the way it does now. It's BECAUSE it was released on consoles that it continues to cater to the lowest common denominator.

In the music industry, that's exactly what Justin Bieber does - another reason why the analogy is valid.

I happen to think you're wrong. But we all have our opinions. Play the original call of duty (was a pc first/only title) and then immediately play the newest call of duty, whether console version or not, and tell me it's not better than the original.

Yes they make them every year (every other year for each devoloper), and yes they're not much better than the previous one, but the fact is you don't have to buy it each year. There's a lot of people who didn't buy last year's, but will buy this year's. I buy Madden every few years, not every year. Some people buy all of them.

Name one modern shooter like the CoD series that is better than CoD. By like I mean arcade(ish) without vehicles (Battlefield series).

And why should I have to name a modern shooter that fits into your arbitrary criteria? You don't get it, do you? That we're still talking about simplistic arcade shooters without vehicles and any kind of depth is WHY Call of Duty is bad. It's BECAUSE it hasn't evolved at all. If you've played Modern Warfare 1, you've played Modern Warfare 3...except at least with the first MW game you still had basic PC gaming requirements like dedicated servers.

Ever since IW.net i've enjoyed Treyarch's iterations more than Infinity Ward. As long as they keep the ranked dedicated servers in place like they did with Black Ops, I may buy it.

I bought MW2 and was very dissappointed in the lack of administration in the lobbies. VIrtually non-existant and hackers roamed free. Couldn't even kick vote. Left a bad taste in my mouth so I skipped MW3, but I did take advantage of it during the free weekend a couple weeks ago and I do not at al regret my decision to skip it.

Ever since IW.net i've enjoyed Treyarch's iterations more than Infinity Ward. As long as they keep the ranked dedicated servers in place like they did with Black Ops, I may buy it.

I bought MW2 and was very dissappointed in the lack of administration in the lobbies. VIrtually non-existant and hackers roamed free. Couldn't even kick vote. Left a bad taste in my mouth so I skipped MW3, but I did take advantage of it during the free weekend a couple weeks ago and I do not at al regret my decision to skip it.

Yeah, as much as I love playing most FPS's on the PC, I pretty much switched exclusively over to consoles because the chating was so blatant. It still exists to some degree, but it's not NEARLY as bad as it was on the PC.

MW2 was the worst (next to COD4... but atleast 4 had admins)

I don't regret it at all. It took a while to get the hang of it (compared to using kb/mouse) but EVERYONE is on a level playing field, no aimbots, wallhacks, people unlocking items pre-maturely, etc. (with exception to MW2... that even sucks on the console when it comes to cheaters).

And while P2P has it's share of issues and I prefer dedicated servers, it IS nice that you can play a game without some buthurt noob admin kicking you because you're a better shot than he is (or you used a shotgun when he forbids it).

I also agree about 3arc COD games (probably mostly for the Zombies mode). Although, MW3 has a lot of really nice features that I hope they include in BO2 (strike packages for one)

And why should I have to name a modern shooter that fits into your arbitrary criteria? You don't get it, do you? That we're still talking about simplistic arcade shooters without vehicles and any kind of depth is WHY Call of Duty is bad. It's BECAUSE it hasn't evolved at all. If you've played Modern Warfare 1, you've played Modern Warfare 3...except at least with the first MW game you still had basic PC gaming requirements like dedicated servers.

A lot of people, millions apparently, love the fact that it IS simplistic.

Back