Black Mesa Source coming 2009

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Ok, the awesome mod 4+ years in the making for the Half Life series, named Black Mesa Source looks like the best mod ever created in PC gaming history, if it gets released ?

Well back in November 2008, was the last update to the website with a brand new video showing it off, and said coming 2009. Well we are in the 4th quarter already and still no updates ?

http://blackmesasource.com/

lost interest as well, however i'm currently replaying HL2 with the cinematic mod. i only played through it once back in '05 so it's like playing it for the first time all over again. i forgot how epic this game is :D

I'll believe Black Mesa Source will be happen when it happens. The Nameless Mod for Deus Ex took 7 years, so don't hold your breath for BMS.

The problem with small community mods like this is they haven't learned the lessons that developers have. They want to make fans happy and proclaim release dates and they are never even close. Developers are much better at this game. I'd rather be told "when it's done" than to be told "in 6 months" and have to wait another 18 months after that.

I cant be mad at them because this not a mod its a ground up retail game being made by a bunch of kids.

well if its not coming this year then they are full of it, then i really dony care really for it.

Could be worse, they could just one of the hundreds of Stargate mod "teams" on ModDB that just models a stargate and a P90 and then quits lol.

I certainly won't get worked up over a missed deadline. At least there are people who take the time to build mods for the rest of us. I sure as hell couldn't do it. Besides, I've got a few brand new, unopened games sitting here on my desk (The Witcher, Mirror's Edge, Prince of Persia) that have been gathering dust for months and I'll buy several more this year. It ain't like I don't have games to occupy my time for a long time. :p

Well, I'd rather be optimistic about it. Acting like a bunch of sad sacks over it is pretty lame, these guys are doing allot of hard work either way, you remember how much scripting half life 1 had? the mod looks incredible so far.

Well, I'd rather be optimistic about it. Acting like a bunch of sad sacks over it is pretty lame, these guys are doing allot of hard work either way, you remember how much scripting half life 1 had? the mod looks incredible so far.
I agree.

For a FREE mod I could careless when the release is. I own half life 1 but I never played through it because the visuals were soo bad at my monitors native resolution that it was almost painful. I couldn't enjoy it.
I mean the game came out in 98', it'll be 11 years old next month. Its old!

I for one am still looking forward to it.

I am just now finishing up Half-Life 2 Cinematic Mod then onto episode 1 and 2. CM10 is just absolutely amazing.

One of the mappers keeps telling me that development on it is going fine and well, and I believe him, but they haven't shown anything significant in awhile.

I really hope they can release this in the coming months. Honestly Valve should buy it from them and sell this as the true HL:S and not the crappy one they already sell.

I thought there was just recently an update saying they 'promise' it will be done before the end of 2009, even though they know that's coming up very soon. Not looking for a source right now though.

I really hope they can release this in the coming months. Honestly Valve should buy it from them and sell this as the true HL:S and not the crappy one they already sell.

Totally agree, I mean Valve bought Left 4 Dead, it was not their game to start with, I am shocked Valve did not pick this one up too, they could sell it for full retail and it would be huge

The Source version of HalfLife1 Valve made is a fucking joke and should never have been released, look at what these amateur coders are putting together in their spare time, it looks to rival even Half Life 2 itself :eek:

It really doesn't matter when they release this does it? I mean when they do, then we'll have an updated version of my favorite FPS of all time, and that will live on into infamy, right?

It really doesn't matter when they release this does it? I mean when they do, then we'll have an updated version of my favorite FPS of all time, and that will live on into infamy, right?

Infamy isn't the right choice of word there. Unless the mod is terrible, then infamy would be an apt choice.

I never played the original HL, however assuming this gets released I will give it a shot.

If this game is as good as they make it look so far and is well polished it could be a killer game, rivalling any recent single player game released the last few years. Plus they said it will also have a CoOp mode later too :)

I am shocked Valve didn't buy this out and release under thier name after they tweak it to perfection, it would be a huge seller and #1 game instantly

There are alot of people that wouldnt even play HL1 by the time they got it because it was so dated. (one in this thread I think) And people already think Source is getting to be dated. So yeah they need to drop this game relativly soon or people are going to use the same excuse.

There are alot of people that wouldnt even play HL1 by the time they got it because it was so dated. (one in this thread I think) And people already think Source is getting to be dated. So yeah they need to drop this game relativly soon or people are going to use the same excuse.

Graphics do not make a good game :rolleyes: Crysis, who fucking cares about that crap, Half Life 2 still blows it out of the water with worse graphics but way better game. Shit, look at WoW, it is very dated looking, but is till fun and addictive, but it has great atmosphere newer games just don't capture.

Graphics do not make a good game :rolleyes: Crysis, who fucking cares about that crap, Half Life 2 still blows it out of the water with worse graphics but way better game. Shit, look at WoW, it is very dated looking, but is till fun and addictive, but it has great atmosphere newer games just don't capture.

Hey I agree with you :D Im just saying, the average person does not have our mentality.

Agreed! Still very excited to play BM:S! Original HL is by far the greatest FPS of all time - played through it well over a dozen times, and it's still a blast every time. Valve should totally pick this up and help out the devs a bit. Taking a rediculous amount of time, but it's understandable considering the size of the dev team and the amount of hours they have to work with.

I cant be mad at them because this not a mod its a ground up retail game being made by a bunch of kids.

True - at least they were kids when they started this project. :p

Agreed! Still very excited to play BM:S! Original HL is by far the greatest FPS of all time - played through it well over a dozen times, and it's still a blast every time. Valve should totally pick this up and help out the devs a bit. Taking a rediculous amount of time, but it's understandable considering the size of the dev team and the amount of hours they have to work with.

True - at least they were kids when they started this project. :p

I agree, Valve should totally pick this game up and release it, like they did with Left 4 Dead originally. This game would be a giant seller if marketed right. Plus it is supposed to have CoOp to play through the single player story, oh my God that is too awesome :cool:

I agree, Valve should totally pick this game up and release it, like they did with Left 4 Dead originally. This game would be a giant seller if marketed right. Plus it is supposed to have CoOp to play through the single player story, oh my God that is too awesome :cool:

If vavle picks it up theres no way its going for less than 49.99 on release.... :(

If vavle picks it up theres no way its going for less than 49.99 on release.... :(

Then they would probably sellout to M$ and we would have to wait 3 months after the 360 version to be released.

I wouldn't count on it coming out any quicker if VALVe picks it. See VALVe Time...

the black mesa source website must have been updated within the last two months, not to long ago i did my once a year check up on bm:s to see how close it is to done and the site still had the original design.
the hl source valve released was also just valve testing there modding tools to make sure they worked when porting a game from the quake engine used in hl (and all the mods made for it) to the source engine

Hey, I dont care what anyone says, the Source engine is seriously an amazing piece of software! When it was released back in 2004, it ran butter smooth on my Radeon 9600 256! I recently played HL2 Ep 2 and good god was that an epic experience with my 8800 GTX!

The teaser trailer looked simply amazing. consider also that Source has had alot of time to mature as well, and it looks fantastic! The next engine out there that Im pretty impressed with is the frostbite engine DICE is developing for Bad Company 2 (essentially BF2.5) and BF3.

Never heard about this before but now that I do, I seriously cant wait to see it come out!

And my bitchass will have it the day it comes out. Though 49.99 is my limit I think. Also of note I don't think I ever paid more than $20 for any valve games. For whatever reason HL2 got cheap really quick. I doubt valve cares as it made a million billion dollars.

I can't see valve releasing it commercially.

For one thing, paying everyone who worked on the mod over the years would be a complete nightmare.

If Black Mesa is successful, I think having it on your resume would be payment enough for any of the team that are looking to get hired in the games industry.

Last edited:
Back