Black Mesa Source coming 2009

Just because it won't make a 2009 release (next 3 weeks), doesn't mean that it won't make it by Q1 2010.

But anyways, like i've already argued, a lot of these sites just give dates because they want to satisfy people who beg for one (like it really matters anyways. See the irony here?). They shouldn't give dates until you're at the point where you are just polishing or finding bugs, never while still developing.

Here is somewhat of any update;

http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showthread.php?t=7742

However, lest you despair, let me just say this. There will be a break in silence, of some form, from us at the end of 2010/very early 2011. Will it be a mod release? Another trailer? A media release? A Twitter update? A new release date? Raminator changing his avatar? Or just an announcement saying "oh hai believe it or not we're still alive"? I can't say. But an end of 2010 update.. you can be sure will happen.
Discuss.

Valve bought it from them.

You know, I've heard that before but I haven't seen any articles or announcements stating it. I've only seen random people say it on forums (and it's been going around since at least 2009). Got a link to an article or something I missed that says so, or is it "a friend of a friends half brother told me" kind of thing? Just curious as I've been keeping tabs on the mod for, well, years now lol.

You know, I've heard that before but I haven't seen any articles or announcements stating it. I've only seen random people say it on forums (and it's been going around since at least 2009). Got a link to an article or something I missed that says so, or is it "a friend of a friends half brother told me" kind of thing? Just curious as I've been keeping tabs on the mod for, well, years now lol.

That will be the big news statement then I guess, they will officially announce their involvement with Valve.

If I were Newell, I'd be interested in acquiring BMS. I'm certain it's been discussed from time to time. But the odds are probably against that coming to fruition in my opinion.

Either way, it'll eventually be done. Eventually.

Yay.
An announcement of an announcement that is yet to come.
Sic of crap like this.

Definitely sounds as if they have a publisher now.

Just an internet rumor at this point.

Valve bought it from them.

I always said that it would be an awesome pack in on the next "color" box, (Black Box, Green Box) Imagine:

HL3 or HL2 Ep3?, HL2, HL2 ep1&2, Portal 2 (probably would not be included?), and Half-Life Black Mesa or whatever it would be called. All redone using the newest engine! (yea right...:()

I always said that it would be an awesome pack in on the next "color" box, (Black Box, Green Box) Imagine:

HL3 or HL2 Ep3?, HL2, HL2 ep1&2, Portal 2 (probably would not be included?), and Half-Life Black Mesa or whatever it would be called. All redone using the newest engine! (yea right...:()

I would say this is a real possibility, I would think their sales on HL2/portal + the episodes has dwindled. I know plenty of people who cant get into the original half life, and have only played HL2 because the graphics are better.

It makes sense to me that they dont have to do any of the work, but will reap the profits with a HUGE game pack at 50 bucks (if they so choose). And of course they will also have separate sales for JUST hl3/portal2/BMS for those who choose.

OH WOW!!!!!

they made a wiki................

seriously, wtf?

We WILL release this year! Chill out dudes & dudettes!
11:06 PM Jul 28th, 2009 via TweetDeck

yeah, OK.

OH WOW!!!!!

they made a wiki................

seriously, wtf?

We WILL release this year! Chill out dudes & dudettes!
11:06 PM Jul 28th, 2009 via TweetDeck

yeah, OK.

Yeah way back November 2009, they said coming very soon, now it is 2011 already, and no word on a release ? I bet Duke Nukem Forever comes out first :D

This does seem very much like what happened with Alien Swarm... No word from the devs for years, then out of nowhere an announcement that they've been bought by Valve, the game is done, it's still free and it's out in a week.

As well as the majority of their games.

L4D was not a "mod' made by a bunch of guys in their spare time. It was a full game based off the source engine made by an experienced game studio. CS and DOD were also original, complete, polished mods when they were bought by Valve.

If Valve wanted to recreate their own game on their own engine why would they hire a few unexperienced modders to do it?

L4D was not a "mod' made by a bunch of guys in their spare time. It was a full game based off the source engine made by an experienced game studio. CS and DOD were also original, complete, polished mods when they were bought by Valve.

If Valve wanted to recreate their own game on their own engine why would they hire a few unexperienced modders to do it?

L4D wasn't. Most of their games were. CS and DOD as you mentioned. And TF2. And Portal.

I think Half Life is the only Original IP that valve have created.

Counter Strike, Day of Defeat and Team Fortress were originally mods, TFC was actually made by valve but it copied ideas from Team Fortress from elsewhere. Portal was a commercial version of Narbacular Drop which was made by an independent studio who merged with valve. The L4D games were being built by another studio which were sort of merged with Valve where the games were polished to valve standards before release.

L4D wasn't. Most of their games were. CS and DOD as you mentioned. And TF2. And Portal.

Team Fortress was a mod, yes but TF2? How is TF2 not a fledged polished game? Since when is Portal a mod? I'm assuming that Borderlands is a UT3 mod?

My point is why would Valve pay some random modders for their own content?

He said that most of their games were originally mods, not that the modern versions are mods, obviously they are fully polished valve games but come originally from mods or other teams which they bought out.

He said that most of their games were originally mods, not that the modern versions are mods, obviously they are fully polished valve games but come originally from mods or other teams which they bought out.

Yep. For a developer with such a revered track record, they sure do have very few original IPs of their own. The Valve fanaticism is like if everyone started demanding Academy Awards for a director who exclusively remakes classic movies with a modern day special effects team.

Yeah, but even if you try and remake a classic film, for example - you can mess it up.

Sure a lot of the games came to existence as mods, but were massively developed by Valve and taken to the high level of quality associated with them.

My God I hope this mods sees the light of day! I got HL:S and did not really get into it as it is completely different (have not played HL when it came out). But then again - I loved Serious Sam and having played it briefly about a year or so ago it did not really feel the same.

Since when is Portal a mod?

Portal was by university students who were hired and helped after they made the portal mechanic. The story was probably inhouse though :)

The way I see it, I have no trouble at all with Valve taking in mods and mod-creators to make them into thoroughbred fullfledged games. Sometimes the reason is polishing an already popular game, sometimes it is taking a chance on a really cool concept.
Creativity and taking chances has gone out the window in favor of popularism and safe profits in recent years, like with the whole craze about "modern" shooters. Valve is still a big business with money in mind, but they reward originality by taking in mods and modteams and they are putting serious focus on indie games with Steam. I like them! (except that moneysink TF2 store, fuck that)

Portal was by university students who were hired and helped after they made the portal mechanic. The story was probably inhouse though :)

The way I see it, I have no trouble at all with Valve taking in mods and mod-creators to make them into thoroughbred fullfledged games. Sometimes the reason is polishing an already popular game, sometimes it is taking a chance on a really cool concept.
Creativity and taking chances has gone out the window in favor of popularism and safe profits in recent years, like with the whole craze about "modern" shooters. Valve is still a big business with money in mind, but they reward originality by taking in mods and modteams and they are putting serious focus on indie games with Steam. I like them! (except that moneysink TF2 store, fuck that)

Yeah, I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, a lot of good games wouldn't have been funded otherwise. But people tend to see them as Valve creations as a consequence, which bothers me.

Seriously... Just fucking finish it! Or release a demo of the first level or something... Seriously... how long have they been making this. Ridiculous.

Indeed and hats off to Valve for supporting modders and the like.

Also, lol at this thread.....RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

I hope this mod comes out soon though. At least before Halflife/episode 3 xD

Also, check out "Dear Ester", if you havent already. Its weird, more like a short story than a game, and the recent screenshots and videos of the makeover they are in progress of giving it look utterly amazing

I hope this doesn't turn into another TeamGizka thing....

Man, Dashus or whatever still needs to burn for what he did/the way he acted.

Yes, complete original mods. Valve already owns Half Life. Why would they need someone who has no experience in the industry to help them recreate their own game?

Never heard/seen this mod before, looks very interesting. I'll have to keep my eye out for this even if it is another few years.

Narbacular Drop is the name of the university game that introduced the "portal" aspect of the game. DL it, it's free and fun (can't invert mouse though, big turn off for me)

Has there been any announcement on this at all lately ? Was all set up for a possible Christmas 2009 release, then that came and went, and now...

I like this kind of thread necromancy. It's pretty telling to read the posts, see the time period, see the expectations and then see where we're actually at now.

Back