Bitcoin Discussion Thread Part 2

You use cgminer if you mine in a pool that gives you a lot of stales and lacks basic features such as long polling. There is nothing that can beat the speed of phoenix w/ custom phatk kernel if you set it up right.

You use cgminer if you mine in a pool that gives you a lot of stales and lacks basic features such as long polling. There is nothing that can beat the speed of phoenix w/ custom phatk kernel if you set it up right.

I get a better valid hashrate with cgminer 1.5.6 with -I 8. phateus just did the latest phatk for cgminer.

cgminer is great. My 6850s picked up 15MH/sec and my 5770 picked up 10MH/sec when I made the switch a while ago. I should probably update the clients since I'm sure theres been improvements since whatever the hell I am running.

I get a better valid hashrate with cgminer 1.5.6 with -I 8. phateus just did the latest phatk for cgminer.

Yes and Phateus used diapolo's modifications as a base for his reworked kernel.
My overclocked 6970s are doing 460.5 MHash/s each on average, with peaks to 484+ and my stales are barely over 0.3%

20900453.jpg

Last edited:
My overclocked 6970s are doing 460.5 MHash/s each on average, with peaks to 484+ and my stales are barely over 0.3%

20900453.jpg

Hmm, maybe I'll have to try and get autominer working again to retry phoenix. hashkill was tops for awhile, but gat3way has moved on from bitcoin development it seems.

It's too bad, I really liked hashkill.

Are you still running with your aggression around 6 or 7? I found that even though the reported hash rate went up, it didn't help my rate of accepted shares.

And dang, what clock speed are you running on your 6970s to get that hash rate?

Are you still running with your aggression around 6 or 7? I found that even though the reported hash rate went up, it didn't help my rate of accepted shares.

And dang, what clock speed are you running on your 6970s to get that hash rate?

That's what I'd like to know.

Adding in a 6950 and a 6970 later today to make 8 cards total, hoping to get at least 3.1GH/S after some tweakings

Do you guys think it would be possible to run five 5870s on a Silverstone Strider Plus Gold 1000W PSU?

I have two Striders but they are only running 3 cards each. If I can get extender cables, I could add in more cards.

Trying to figure out the best way to arrange 11 5870s and 2 6950s on 5 computers. If I could get a 12th 5870, it would balance out better so I could keep systems one card specific and avoid Afterburner/Trixx headaches.

They're clocked at 950Mhz each, the max CCC will allow and the memory at stock. Accepted share rate is more dependent on latency to the server so there's not much you can do there. Take for example the recent i0coin mining rush. There was plenty of mining horsepower thrown at it, but it was people with low latency to the mining servers who managed to get the most shares in.

This one rig I'm posting on I have it in Eyefinity with 3x 1920x1200 24" monitors. Two HP LP2465s on the sides and a DELL U2410 in the middle. Obligatory eyefinity pr0n:
smalldesktop.jpg

They're clocked at 950Mhz each, the max CCC will allow and the memory at stock. Accepted share rate is more dependent on latency to the server so there's not much you can do there. Take for example the recent i0coin mining rush. There was plenty of mining horsepower thrown at it, but it was people with low latency to the mining servers who managed to get the most shares in.

This one rig I'm posting on I have it in Eyefinity with 3x 1920x1200 24" monitors. Two HP LP2465s on the sides and a DELL U2410 in the middle. Obligatory eyefinity pr0n:
smalldesktop.jpg

Memory at stock? notice any differences when lower the memory clock ( if you've attempted to do that) Also are you using extenders?

Damn, I really have to do some tweaking, 1.8 MH/S to 2.2 MH/S with 6x 6950/6970's clocked at 925/600 is quite low :(

Nope never tried downclocking it though I should to try and save power, but...saving power is not really a concern for me lol :p. No extenders either, each rig has a pair of 6970s (2 rigs total) and I have third rig with a single 6950 that is getting upgraded to a 6970 as well.

And good lord I could almost cry seeing your hashrate :(. The things I could do with your setup if you let me tweak the shit out of it and squeeze every last MHash out of it.

Nope never tried downclocking it though I should to try and save power, but...saving power is not really a concern for me lol :p. No extenders either, each rig has a pair of 6970s (2 rigs total) and I have third rig with a single 6950 that is getting upgraded to a 6970 as well.

And good lord I could almost cry seeing your hashrate :(. The things I could do with your setup if you let me tweak the shit out of it and squeeze every last MHash out of it.

That's how I feel. Going to have to sit down this weekend and figure something out to get these cards working the way they are supposed to.

Memory at stock? notice any differences when lower the memory clock ( if you've attempted to do that) Also are you using extenders?

Damn, I really have to do some tweaking, 1.8 MH/S to 2.2 MH/S with 6x 6950/6970's clocked at 925/600 is quite low :(

You mean gh/s

1.8 mh/s is quite terrible for 6x 6970s :p

I'm rocking 7x5830(have 8, 1 needs downclocked from 1000 before it can be added back), and 2x6950 unlocked shaders. Gets me 2.9gh/s. I have been wanting to add 8 more 5830/6870s for awhile now, might do it if Simplecoin keeps getting lucky.

Do you guys think it would be possible to run five 5870s on a Silverstone Strider Plus Gold 1000W PSU?

No way. Hell, 4 is probably going to overload that PSU.

That 353W is total system power, not card power. There's a 2600K @ 4.8GHz in there taking up a good chunk of that power. But you're still looking at probably 250W+ per card.

Last edited:
You mean gh/s

1.8 mh/s is quite terrible for 6x 6970s :p

I'm rocking 7x5830(have 8, 1 needs downclocked from 1000 before it can be added back), and 2x6950 unlocked shaders. Gets me 2.9gh/s. I have been wanting to add 8 more 5830/6870s for awhile now, might do it if Simplecoin keeps getting lucky.

Woops yeah, I mean GH/S. That's still low though.

Probably about normal for locked 6950s. 6x6950 with unlocked shaders and slight overclock should get you 400mh/s. Overclocked 6970s should get you a bit more than that.

They're clocked at 950Mhz each, the max CCC will allow and the memory at stock.[/IMG]

Oh yeah, definitely look at dropping your memory clock. You can shave off quite a bit of heat and you'll find that there are pockets of memory speed that will give you the same performance as stock...if not a wee bit better. Try around the 300-350MHz range.

I did find with my 6950 that it did not like memory speeds around 500-600MHz, so might want to steer clear of that range.

The two 5870s I just picked up seem to really like 160MHz memory speed. Crazy low, but it performs well as any other speed I've tried.

Wow, that's nice. I've heard many people say to never go below 300Mhz cause that tanked their hash rate. You must've gotten some primo silicon cards.

6x6950 with unlocked shaders and slight overclock should get you 400mh/s. Overclocked 6970s should get you a bit more than that.

Well, the only real difference between an unlocked 6950 and a 6970 is memory. And since memory has so little do to with Bitcoin performance, they'll perform almost identically at the same speeds.

Get the cores up around 920-930 and you should be able to pull around 420MH/s per card. 2.5GH/s+...bam!

Just picked up a 6970 for $210 shipped. My upgrades are done for now. Next round's difficulty will be lower once again and coins are gaining value. It all almost seems too good to be true.

Wow, that's nice. I've heard many people say to never go below 300Mhz cause that tanked their hash rate. You must've gotten some primo silicon cards.

Below 160 or above about 165 and yeah, it tanks. But 160-165 and they're humming along at full hash rate. Just takes some testing to find those sweet spots. I'm guessing the sweet spots are probably the top end of memory timing straps.

Just picked up a 6970 for $210 shipped. My upgrades are done for now. Next round's difficulty will be lower once again and coins are gaining value. It all almost seems too good to be true.

Ha, nice! I just sold mine for $300. Been finding such good deals on 5870s lately that I decided to go all 5870s. Just looking for another Eyefinity 6 for my main Eyefinity rig now.

Nice buy. I was going to grab it but didn't want to take the risk.

Yeah, there's a 1GB 5870 for $210 shipped on the forums as well. I was about to pick it up but then I saw that 6970 deal and jumped on that instead.
I asked him for a pic and sent it right away. This is resized from the original beast of a macro at 3.6K x 2.7K
smallerk.jpg

On other news, people are getting mad they can't get in on the action at mtgox. ROFL.
image3kb.jpg

Last edited:
Look at the volume at Tradehill compared to mtgox. No one is buying or selling at tradehill so people with coins are stuck. Their only other option is to move their coins to mtgox, but that takes hours and the rally at mtgox already stopped.
Thus:
image3kb.jpg

I'm running all my 5830s at 800/175, set with AMD's GPU Clock Tool (can't rely on Afterburner or Trixx for sh*t, except for custom profile fan control).

Get the same hash rate as stock 800/1000, with a 50W reduction in power consumption at the wall per card o_O

jwjnbtc.jpg

Last edited:
Look at the volume at Tradehill compared to mtgox. No one is buying or selling at tradehill so people with coins are stuck. Their only other option is to move their coins to mtgox, but that takes hours and the rally at mtgox already stopped.
Thus:
image3kb.jpg

ROFL

I'm running all my 5830s at 800/175, set with AMD's GPU Clock Tool (can't rely on Afterburner or Trixx for sh*t, except for custom profile fan control).

Get the same hash rate as stock 800/1000, with a 50W reduction in power consumption at the wall per card o_O

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww8/dndisturb/systems/jwjnbtc.jpg

50w per 5830? That seems impossible. I am at 1000/300 on my 5830s, and they take up about 150w/card, if not a little bit more. No way dropping 200mhz on the ram is going to save me 100w.

BTW, what mhash are you getting on your 5830s?

50w per 5830? That seems impossible. I am at 1000/300 on my 5830s, and they take up about 150w/card, if not a little bit more. No way dropping 200mhz on the ram is going to save me 100w.
BTW, what mhash are you getting on your 5830s?
No, I can confirm that is what I read from the Kill-a-Watt. ~445W when running stock, ~348W when running the memory at 175. Keeps the cards a lot cooler as well.
I was getting 245MH/s at both 800/1000 and 800/175. All of the cards are Sapphire 5830 Xtremes from Asia (DP instead of mini-DP like from the US). Lower card stays at about 55C, upper card stays at about 65C.

That makes sense :)

Should overclock those Extremes a bit, can get 300-320mhash out of them at 1000 core

That makes sense :)
Should overclock those Extremes a bit, can get 300-320mhash out of them at 1000 core
I probably should (especially since I could easily get 960/175 stable for the lone 5830 in a single card system), but I'm pretty happy with the noise/temps right now and would like to run stock (with the exception of the RAM) for peace of mind.

Well, cgminer is also nice for it's GPU restart capabilities (or so I hear, which is why I'm running it).

Oh, that's actually nice. Specially with the sine wave degradation Phoenix GPU miners experience over long periods of time. I simply restart them manually every 6 hours or so.

wow, 6hrs, I never had issues with Phoenix GPU miners over time. Only time they would stop would be when the Pool had server issues, Phoenix would not reconnect on its own.

I wish my 5830 would overclock, It crashes if i touch anything besides fan speed. It crashes if i turn down the mem clock, it crashes if i turn up the cpu clock.. its no bueno so I'm stuck at 250mh/s or so with it.

Back