Bitcoin Discussion Thread Part 2

I just got it exhausting out the window, winter comes I will close the window.

next 2 rigs will be built into the furnace cold air return

I'm on hiatus from bitcoining, Sold my DFI board and got a 890FX GD70 enroute. Surprise we don't have a bitcoin mining rig picture thread. I would like to see everyone's setup.

So what is everyone doing to offset the heat of their cards? I only have 2.9ghash going right now and my office is a sauna if in the morning if the AC is not running(Central air, cool mornings outside, AC does not run). My cards arent overheating, still 70-73C, but I'm not sure what will happen when I add 2 more systems. When the AC is running, the cards vary from 52-63C.

I need to vent all the heat out my office window I guess, or maybe run an always on window unit.

I moved my mining rigs to my detached garage. My office never got below 100 degrees when i had my rigs in there.

So what is everyone doing to offset the heat of their cards? I only have 2.9ghash going right now and my office is a sauna if in the morning if the AC is not running(Central air, cool mornings outside, AC does not run). My cards arent overheating, still 70-73C, but I'm not sure what will happen when I add 2 more systems. When the AC is running, the cards vary from 52-63C.

I need to vent all the heat out my office window I guess, or maybe run an always on window unit.

Mine is running in my basement. It stays cool down their all year long.

Well fuck me, I'm an addict.

Got a great deal on two 5870s on eBay over the weekend and got some irons in the fire to pick up one or two more.

Now I'm pondering whether to sell my 5830s or just put together a new rig for the 5870s.

I hate to break bad news to you but blocks 141008 and 141014 have a great chance of being invalid for simplecoin. Can't know for certain until they are confirmed though:
invalids.jpg

[strike=1]It also looks like the simplecoin website has not reported that it found block 141009 and block 141015 is gone as well, hmmm...[/s]

Edit: Thinking about it further, what may end up happening is simplecoin will get blocks 141009 and 141015. If I knew the timestamp of the hash that found those blocks down to the millisecond I could tell for cetain.

Last edited:
Well fuck me, I'm an addict.

Got a great deal on two 5870s on eBay over the weekend and got some irons in the fire to pick up one or two more.

Now I'm pondering whether to sell my 5830s or just put together a new rig for the 5870s.

Well, I learned that 58xx cards will all work together ok.. but in my machine that had a 5830 + 5850 + 6950(unlocked) they do not play nice between CCC/Trixx, constant lock ups.. You should be able to use them together no problem.

I just purchased my 11th 5870 :O

I'll need to start getting PCI-E extender cables. Does anyone have any experience with those? Which ones are good to get? There are so many on ebay and I've heard reports of shadier Chinese ones catching fire.

I just purchased my 11th 5870 :O

I'll need to start getting PCI-E extender cables. Does anyone have any experience with those? Which ones are good to get? There are so many on ebay and I've heard reports of shadier Chinese ones catching fire.

You get most of them from ebay, forums, or local?

Yeah looks like that'll be the case Lorien. But still -fingers crossed- for all four? :p

I can hook up a full length 16x card to a 1x slot right? Do I want the 1x to 1x cable or the 1x to 16x (full length) cable?

I asked around and was told the Ars pool has experienced the same issue. They use the same front end and they end up getting block numbers wrong and also miss blocks that were found in close succession.

Is there a forum post or a guide somewhere to what cables are neccessary for which setup? IE: Why can't I just cheap out and get a bunch of 1x to 1x cables versus getting a 1x to 16x cable, etc.? I was pretty sure that mining works just as fast on 1x as it does on 16x. I know I don't need the ones with the built in molex as I do not have any dual GPU cards or more than 4 GPUs on one motherboard.

Is there a forum post or a guide somewhere to what cables are neccessary for which setup? IE: Why can't I just cheap out and get a bunch of 1x to 1x cables versus getting a 1x to 16x cable, etc.? I was pretty sure that mining works just as fast on 1x as it does on 16x. I know I don't need the ones with the built in molex as I do not have any dual GPU cards or more than 4 GPUs on one motherboard.

Type of cable doesnt matter..

I have some 1x slot to 16x card and they work just fine in 1x or 1x/4x/18/16x slots.

My 1x to 1x ones I had to shave off 1 side with a steel file so the card would fit. But not issues with it.. I just got mine off ebay, some chinese store.. But no issues with them.

Then just use the 1x to 1x cables. Unless you get the ones that are already slotted to fit a 16x card, you'll have to slot out the back of it to fit. Otherwise, it'll work fine.

Then just use the 1x to 1x cables. Unless you get the ones that are already slotted to fit a 16x card, you'll have to slot out the back of it to fit. Otherwise, it'll work fine.

Yes, 1x to 1x are enough.

Parja
See my post here as to how I got a 1x - 1x to work
You will likely need to shave the short side off the 1x-1x as I couldnt find ones that came pre cut... But they will work.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037590413&postcount=105

I have two 1x to 1x cables from Cablesaurus, they already come trimmed. Not like its hard to do, but they are plug and play :p

Well, I learned that 58xx cards will all work together ok.. but in my machine that had a 5830 + 5850 + 6950(unlocked) they do not play nice between CCC/Trixx, constant lock ups.. You should be able to use them together no problem.

'Cept I've got 3 5830s already and am in the process of adding 3-4 5870s.

Unless I want to get seriously Frankenstein with the setup, I'm thinking I'm going to have to either sell off the 5830s or put together a second rig. Theoretically, my 890FXA-GD70 will take 6 cards, but that would be a mess. Not to mention, I'd probably be getting close to overloading a 15A breaker.

I want a fuse diagram for my house so bad, I'm tripping fuses regularly but I don't want the computers randomly scattered throughout the house. :(

Unless I want to get seriously Frankenstein with the setup, I'm thinking I'm going to have to either sell off the 5830s or put together a second rig. Theoretically, my 890FXA-GD70 will take 6 cards, but that would be a mess. Not to mention, I'd probably be getting close to overloading a 15A breaker.

Well since they are all 58XX series, they should all play nice.. Big difference is that the 6950 has the ability to have the Power Control in CCC, the 58XX do not.. But once I had them all in 1 system i lost the ability to 20% power control in CCC, and my clocks would nto adjust properly in Trixx, and ended up causing lockups..

Since you have all 58XX cards, you should be in the clear..
Its possible to get them to work if you mix series, but its a PITA.

@TSD
Those cases are made by [H]'s very own, Spotswood.
Last I heard he was backlogged, and Im waiting on my next 1 1/2 stack from him.. So I dunno. Havent heard from him in a while.

Takes 8 overclocked 5830s in my experience.

@TSD
Those cases are made by [H]'s very own, Spotswood.
Last I heard he was backlogged, and Im waiting on my next 1 1/2 stack from him.. So I dunno. Havent heard from him in a while.

He does plan to make more. I got this from him 8/10

"I will definitely be making another batch of these trays, but before that I need to finish two other custom cases (see work logs here and here)

After I fulfill those two obligations, then I'll start on other batch of trays.

I'm hoping to finish those two case in 4-6 weeks. Sorry! "

I have 8 5830s and 2 6950s on a 20a. 8 5830s on a 15a would be pretty close to the 80% mark.

He does plan to make more. I got this from him 8/10

"I will definitely be making another batch of these trays, but before that I need to finish two other custom cases (see work logs here and here)

After I fulfill those two obligations, then I'll start on other batch of trays.

I'm hoping to finish those two case in 4-6 weeks. Sorry! "

Yeah, Thats what I heard from him a few days prior..
Wish there was some way to step up the pace.. But he does very high quality work and I will gladly wait if I have to, I just dont wanna :p

Wish there was a way to help that man out..

Damn, those cases are freaking sweet but I'm too much of a penny pincher to splurge lol.

Damn, those cases are freaking sweet but I'm too much of a penny pincher to splurge lol.

Yeah, he did some amazing work.. I wish I could have afforded a quad stack from the beginning.. Any [H] in the New Hampshire area need to stop by and help this man out, lol

anyone doin' teh ixcoin thang...? a friend of mine got about 5 times the amount of BTC he would've gotten in the same amount of time while doing this, pretty much like in the beginning of the namecoin branch off (difficulty is still low)...

ixcoin is collapsing. Their value in bitcoins went down a third. They are getting more and more worthless as you can't exchange them into bitcoins at a rate competitive with actually mining bitcoins anymore. It now takes 400 ixcoins to exchange for a single bitcoin. It used to be around 166.

Back