Project: Aluminum Water Cooling Case

Spotswood

Gawd
This is a project/build log for an aluminum case designed specifically for a large water cooled rig, specifically:
  • 3 x 140x4 radiators
  • 1 140x3 radiator
  • 10-slot motherboard tray

AluminumWaterCoolingCase.jpg

HugeWatercoolingCase.jpg

ScrewBlocksAndParts.jpg

Stay tuned!

The basic frame of the case is done, which consists of .5x1-inch u-channel with its ends plugged with blocks (pictured in the first post), press-fitted and pinned with a #4 screw along with some 1-inch angle:

FrontFrameParts.jpg

PluggedUChannels.jpg

FrontFrame.jpg

The assembled case frame is too tall to fit in the camera frame. hehe

CaseFrame.jpg

The frame looks kind'a "meh" until I bolt on the gorgeous anodized quarter rounds.

QuarterRound.jpg

CaseFrameWQtrRnd.jpg

Looks great - very Lian-Li with those industrial lines. I like it, especially cause it's not some chunky beast.

Good work locating and incorporating the aluminum quarter round.
It will make a big difference in the quality of the final product.

Good work locating and incorporating the aluminum quarter round.
It will make a big difference in the quality of the final product.

Thanks.

Getting the quarter rounds attached to the frame is a big pain in the ***, but is another differentiator for me, amongst all of the other horrid looking cases out there. :p

The two shelves were cut from a .10-inch thick 5052 via my trusty router, a straight edge and a downcut spiral bit.

BottomShelfRouterStraightEdge.jpg

At the back corners of the shelves, two .5x1-inch cutouts were routed out via a temporary router jig.

BottmShelfCornerJig.jpg

RoutedBottmShelfCorner.jpg

The rounded inside corner left by the .5-inch flush router bit were filed square.

SquaredUpShelfCorner.jpg

FWIW, here's the difference in the thickness of the aluminum sheeting I use compared to everyone else.

AlThickness.jpg

Finally, a mockup of the shelf inside the frame of the case:

ShelfMockup.jpg

The 5.25-inch drive bay rails finally came back from a local fabricator.

OpticalDriveRails.jpg

And a 140x4 rad arrived in the shop.

Quad140Rad.jpg

Quad140RadOnShelf.jpg

How thick is the aluminum? My case has some fairly thick aluminum on it. Looks great so far, Im tuned in.

Next up is to cut the front sheet.

AlWCCaseFront.jpg

In order to cut-out all of the openings for the 5.25-inch drives accurately, a custom router template is required. I used .5x1-inch u-channel and .25x1.25-inch flat bar to frame the openings on .5-inch particle board.

FrontSheetTemplateFab.jpg

The aluminum bits guided my flush trimming router bit.

FrontSheetTemplateFab2.jpg

The aluminum bits were removed and the particle board template was used to cut the .10-inch thick aluminum sheet.

FrontSheetFab1.jpg

FrontSheetFab2.jpg

Now I just need to square all of the corners and cut to width. Ugh.

"Life" had gotten in the way of this project for a few weeks, but I've managed to fabricate the inner and outer sheets of the front panel. It took me 5 hours to square-off all of the inside corners.

FrontSheetSheets.jpg

Back sheet cut to width, height and the hole for the 10-slot motherboard tray routed out.

BackSheetWMBHole1.jpg

BackSheetWMBHole2.jpg

BackSheetWMBHole3.jpg

BackSheetInProfileCU.jpg

Looks pretty damn sweet. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Yea, filing corners to sharp is a PITA! I try and engineer my builds to eliminate or minimize them. Your project is ambitious. Keep up the good work!

I bolted the 5.25-inch drive rail assemblies to the front inner sheet.

DriveRailsMountedOnInnerSheet2.jpg

DriveRailsMountedOnInnerSheet1.jpg

Note how the extra deep rails will completely hide the drives and cables.

DriveRailsMountedOnInnerSheet1.jpg

DriveRailsMountedOnInnerSheetCU.jpg

Another design benefit of the front air duct is hiding all of the mounting hardware.

DriveRailsMountedOnInnerSheetCU2.jpg

FrontwDriveCageMounted.jpg

Two cutouts were routed out of the back sheet for the bottom mounted PSU (left hand side of the pic) and intake fan, and two intake fans up top.

BackSheetwCutouts.jpg

Eventually, some "adapter plates" will be mounted over the two cutouts.

To attach the MB tray to the back sheet, four PEM cinch nuts were pressed into the interior side of the .10-inch thick aluminum sheet. I love these nuts because they make quick work out of adding some threads to sheet metal.

BackSheetPEMNuts.jpg

BackSheetPEMNutsInterior.jpg

BackSheetwCutoutsAndMB.jpg

Another awesome feature of this case is the "false" back, which is simply a sheet of aluminum between the removable back panel and the motherboard tray. The "false" back prevents the case from racking and is the primary cable management feature. In this case, the "false" back consists of three pieces of .10-inch thick aluminum.

The sheets that make-up the "false" back are threaded along the top via PEM nuts. Fastening them to the top support beam is simplified via the addition of slots routed out of the support beam. These allow the hex wrench to be raised into position as the socket cap screws are driven into the sheet.

FalseBackSupportHoles.jpg

FalseBackSupport.jpg

FalseBackTopBack.jpg

FalseBackBack.jpg

Along the bottom, the sheets are fastened to some 1/2-inch angle.

FalseBackBottomBack.jpg

FalseBackFront.jpg

It's getting there. This looks to be an awesome case. Can't wait to see it finished.:)

Slots for wire and tube routing were cut out of the top and bottom shelves. I attempted to use a pattern router bit, but the deep cut forced the bit's bearing into the 3/8-inch thick particle board, ruining it.

RouterBitGuide.jpg

So I switched to using a pattern to guide the base of the router.

RouterBaseTemplate.jpg

The slots along the edge of the bottom shelf were cut in such a way to allow tubing and wiring to pass without significantly weakening the 1/2 x 1-inch u-channel.

TubeAndWireRoutingSlot.jpg

Bottom shelf slots:

WireRoutingSlotsInBottomShelf.jpg

Top shelf slots:

WireRoutingSlotsInTopShelf.jpg

WireRoutingSlotsInShelves.jpg

Finally, two slots were also cut out of a portion of the "false" back:

WireRoutingSlotsInFalseBack.jpg

Spotswood, where did you get PEM cinch nuts? I'm afraid if I go to the hardware store and ask, they'll think I'm crazy and I'll just go home empty handed.

Also, did you use rivets to attach some of the aluminum together?

Back