Project: Server and Gaming Case

Spotswood

Gawd
This is a project/build log for a custom case to house both a storage server and gaming rig.

This fairly compact case is designed to hold:
  • Two EATX motherboards
  • Two ATX PSUs
  • Twenty four 3.5-inch hard drives
  • Six SSDs
  • Two 120x3 water cooling radiators

StorageAndGamingCaseA.jpg

StorageAndGamingCaseB.jpg

The size of the case is to be kept as small as possible, which is mostly driven by the size of the motherboard trays. But until those arrive, I fabricated the PSU mounting plate from some 2.5mm aluminum sheet.

The cutouts were made via a hand held router fitted with a flush pattern bit, guided by a template.

PSUMountingPlateJig.jpg

PSUMountingPlate.jpg

PSUMountingPlateCU.jpg

That's it for now!

The backplate of the stock motherboard tray from mountainmods.com was too tall, so I fabricated a shortened duplicate out of .10-inch thick aluminum sheet (once again, via my trusty router fitted with a pattern cutting bit):

MMMBBackPlate.jpg

MBBackPlate.jpg

MBBackPlateCU.jpg

This case will be shipped flat-packed so it needs to be easily assembled by the owner. The simple back frame consists of some u-channel with its ends plugged with some blocks press-fitted and pinned with a #4 screw. The blocks have a though-hole into which a #6 1-1/4-inch flat head stainless steel socket cap screw is bolted. Simple, effective, but time consuming to fabricate.

BackFrame.jpg

BackFrameJoint.jpg

BackFrameJointCU.jpg

This case will be shipped flat-packed so it needs to be easily assembled by the owner. The simple back frame consists of some u-channel with its ends plugged with some blocks press-fitted and pinned with a #4 screw. The blocks have a though-hole into which a #6 1-1/4-inch flat head stainless steel socket cap screw is bolted. Simple, effective, but time consuming to fabricate.

You forgot Sturdy in the description.:p

The first step toward routing-out the motherboard cutouts in the back panel was to modify a standard size motherboard router template I had made some time ago.

Existing10slotMBtemplate.jpg

ModifiedMBtemplate.jpg

The modified template was used to create yet another template in 1/2-inch thick particle board.

NewMBRouterTemplateWGuide.jpg

Unfortunately the router wobbled ever so slightly in one spot, but was quickly repaired with some autobody filler:

BondoRepain.jpg

In order to save wear-and-tear on my flush cutting router bit a first pass was done freehand (gulp!) with a standard endmill.

RouterButs.jpg

BackPanelwMBRoughCuts.jpg

BackPanelwMBCutouts.jpg

Last edited:
I had to make a new router template for the PSUs cutout. A router guide template is quickly fashioned from some MDF held together with pocket screws.

PocketHoleGuide.jpg

PSUsTemplate.jpg

A mock-up of the back panel:

BackPanelMockup.jpg

free hand router you are as nuts as me i did this for to fit hindgers on my new back door never again lol

The posts for the front frame are made from .125 x .5 x 2-inch tubes. First thing was to stuff the bottoms with the screw blocks/nuts in order to eventually attach them to the bottom sheet.

Following standard operating procedure, the aluminum was cut on my miter saw (fitted with a standard carbide tipped blade). The clamp that came with the saw is used to hold the material against the fence.

MiterSaw.jpg

The blocks were then drilled on the drill press with the assistance of my self-centering vice (I love that thing because I don't have to waste time measuring for center).

SelfCenteringVice.jpg

Threads were tapped via my bench mounted "hand" tapper.

BenchTopThreader.jpg

The blocks were pinned to the tubes with flat head self-tapping screws.

PostWCustomNut.jpg

Always looking to improve my speed and quality, the cross supports offered the opportunity to use PEM cinch nuts. The nuts were pressed into the screw blocks.

PEMNuts.jpg

Which were then pinned inside .5 x 1-inch u-channel.

PEMNutAss2.jpg

PEMNutAss1.jpg

FrontFrame2.jpg

FrontFrame1.jpg

I added some "legs" to the motherboard trays so they'll rest nice and level on the workbench.

MBTrayFeet.jpg

MBTrayFeetParts.jpg

I spent the day correcting a big mistake, which was I relied on the incorrect posted dimensions of the Swiftech MCR320-DRIVE 3x120 radiator, and thus the case wasn't wide enough by 16mm. (Swiftech has since corrected the diagram on their website).

CorrectLengthOfMCR320-DRIVE3x120Radiator.jpg

Actually, the case was exactly the width of the rads, but that might have resulted in some pump vibration getting transfered to the side panels. So the case had to be widened by one inch.

To speedup the process of pinning the bolt blocks to the u-channel I switched to using split pins.

SplitPins.jpg

BackFramePartsPinnedWSplitPins.jpg

WiderBackAndFrontFrames.jpg

WiderBackFrame.jpg

I also had to re-cut the back sheet.

WiderBackFramewBottomSheet.jpg

Altogether, it only took me about a third of the original amount of time. Phew!

Last edited:
i have to say that i found inaccurate website measurements to be a burden when i started converting items from ideas to sketchup designs. all sorts of bullshit dimensions all over the "innernets". learned to trust my ruler, digital caliper, and tape measure (when rulers aren't long enough)....not to mention protractors and levels.

Where are you getting the aluminum from?
onlinemetals.com

Are you going to use backplanes for your disks, or just angled SATA and power cables?

Keeping it simple.

The bottom support beams were made from .5x.1-inch aluminum flat bar. I wasn't keen on having to hand drill and tap them, so instead, I routed grooves to accept nuts.

NutSlots1.jpg

NutSlots2.jpg

I like this fastening method because its wicked strong and offers just enough "play" for easy assembly.

AssembledNutSlots.jpg

The frame is bolted to the front inner sheet.

InnerFrontSheetFHCU.jpg

And then the entire subassembly is bolted to the front frame.

BeamsToFrontSheet.jpg

FrameFromBack.jpg

FrameFromFront.jpg

Last edited:
The sides of the HD cage consists of three pieces of .125-inch thick 1x1.5-inch u-channel held together with some threaded bolts. The cage will be bolted to the frame of the case via some .5-inch angle.

HDCageSides.jpg

The holes in the angle were used to guide the drill bit into the side pieces.

HDCageSidesDrillingCU.jpg

HDCageSides2.jpg

HDCageSidesCU1.jpg

Quarter inch slots were routed out of the u-channels to eventually accept .25-inch threaded rods.

HDCageMockup1.jpg

HDCageMockup3.jpg

HDCageMockup2.jpg

Santoprene rubber/plastic tubing was slipped over 1/4-inch threaded rods to form a "cage" to contain the HDs.

HDCageParts.jpg

Here's why the routed slots are superior to individual holes.

HDCageAssembly.jpg

HDCage.jpg

HDCageMockup.jpg

A last minute design change was to go with SATA backplanes. This required having to route-out 24 phalanx shaped areas for the LED and power cables to pass through.

BackplaneTemplate.jpg

[These photos are just quick mockups, the perforate aluminum will eventually get mounted to the bottom of the drive cage. ]

Backplanesheet1.jpg

Backplanesheet2.jpg

The backplanes rest on some soft rubber grommets and are attached via two #4 socket head cap screws.

The 1/16-inch perforated aluminum was a good choice because I didn't have to drill a boat load of holes.

BackplaneMockupCU2.jpg

BackplaneMockupCU1.jpg

I finished the bottom of the HD cage by adding four support beams made from 1x.5-inch u-channels.

HDCageBottom.jpg

HDCageBottomCU.jpg

To further dampen vibrations some 1x.25-inch soft foam will be stuck between the beams and the perforated aluminum.

HDCageBottomFoam.jpg

HDCageBottomWFoamAndBackplanes.jpg

Finally managed to mount the HD cage to the case via 12 #6-32 stainless steel socket cap bolts.

HDCageMounted.jpg

Another requirement for this case is the ability to mount six SSD drives. The original plan was to mount them to the bottom of the case, but if there ever was a leak in the water cooling system, all of the SSDs would be toast. So instead, I came up with the idea to mount the drives to the underside of a motherboard tray.

SSDTray.jpg

Half-inch standoffs were screwed into the MB tray's existing PEM nuts.

MBSSDModStandoff.jpg

And onto that a .10-inch thick sheet of aluminum was bolted.

SSDTray.jpg

MBSSDModCU1.jpg

MBSSDModCU2.jpg

/subscribed

Great work, lots of time invested so far. You keeping a log of your hours?

The front inner sheet was turned into Swiss cheese via 9 holes for the 120mm intake fans. The holes were cut with a 1/2-inch flush trimming router bit, guided by a template.

InnerFrontSheetwFanHoles.jpg

InnerFrontSheetwFanHolesCU.jpg

Looks holier than though... :D

Can't wait for summer to wind down so that you can devote more attention to this. Nice build.

Back