Bigscreen Beyond - µOLED 2560x2560 per eye - SteamVR Direct HDM

Line

Weaksauce
I am excited for the next generation of HMDs featuring µOLED display technology. One of the first to launch will be the Bigscreen Beyond, with 2560x2560 resolution per eye, designed for PCVR with SteamVR Direct mode and lighthouse tracking.

STATS:
  • Tiny size and weight - 127 grams, 24 mm x 143.1 mm x 52.4 mm
  • µOLED on Silicon Display Technology - 2560x2560 per eye @ 90Hz (w/ lossless DSC compression) or 75Hz uncompressed
  • Pancake Optics for clearer image and larger sweet spot
  • Personalized replaceable face gasket which is molded to your own face scan (Apple FaceID compatible device required)
  • IPD is not adjustable on-the-fly, but rather uses plates which space the optical modules from 58-72mm
  • Thin, lightweight 5m USB-C cable and additional USB-C 2.0 accessory port with 500mA
  • Includes a 28g softstrap or can purchase a $99 audio strap (looks like Koss Portapro's?)
  • Optional prescription lens adapters can be added which attach via magnets directly to the lenses
  • Native SteamVR Tracking but no controllers included. Intended to be used with your existing Valve Knuckles or other SteamVR compatible controllers
Bigscreen Beyond - The world's smallest VR headset

Will you be purchasing the Bigscreen Beyond? I already made my reservation day one, but am still keeping an eye out for another µOLED HMD, the Shiftall Meganex which is supposed to be launching March-April 2023.

Looks awesome! I'll be watching closely, I still have the faithful cv1 because I wasn't willing to go for the newer tech, but this could be it

I am always suspect of any tech with market redefining specs. 6X lighter is one hell of an advancement. Checking out the reviews when launched. I have enough HMD's to take a wait and see on this.

I am always suspect of any tech with market redefining specs. 6X lighter is one hell of an advancement. Checking out the reviews when launched. I have enough HMD's to take a wait and see on this.

Micro OLED + pancake lenses allow it to be much lighter because the screen and lenses are tiny compared to other headsets. That's really the main thing. Future headsets will be doing the same thing. This tech has been in the works for a long time, they just got to it first. It's also just very barebones otherwise.

It's an interesting headset that I'll be following. Not going to pre-order though, since a good VR experience isn't just about fancy hardware specs.

I will for sure be keeping a close eye on this one (kek). Headsets coming down to this size is really getting into the 'dream' territory for what I hoped we would one day see after using the DK2. I will also, however, be waiting to see reviews before I decide whether this is a worthwhile upgrade for $1100 over my Index.

When I first saw the announcement, I was like "Wait, is this the same company that's had that movie app on Steam for ages?" Yup, sure is. I haven't used the Bigscreen VR app much myself, but from the time I have spent with it, I've been impressed. These guys have been around a bit, seem to know how to take their time and deliver quality, and also don't seem to be having an issue raising capital. I hope this becomes the next shot in the arm for PCVR; we're really rather past due for some fresh buzz.

Micro OLED + pancake lenses allow it to be much lighter because the screen and lenses are tiny compared to other headsets. That's really the main thing. Future headsets will be doing the same thing. This tech has been in the works for a long time, they just got to it first. It's also just very barebones otherwise.
Sounds good. I'll eagerly await the reviews and actual to market pricing.

Micro OLED + pancake lenses allow it to be much lighter because the screen and lenses are tiny compared to other headsets.

At the expense of FOV though, if they want to keep the headset in any kind of reasonable price bracket. The FOV of the Beyond is 90' and 93' according to the specs. If they follow the same trend as every manufacturer so far, the actual FOV will be smaller than the listed specs. Maybe because of the Custom gasket, the FOV they are listing is actually accurate. However, the best case scenario puts it at the same horizontal FOV as the Quest 2 but a smaller Vertical FOV.

I’m pretty stoked about these headsets too - hope they pan out. There’s also the Arpara headsets on kickstarter - tethered and wireless versions with the same micro oled screens but otherwise not as groundbreaking with weight or 3d scanned face mask / fixed optics like the big screen. They are much less expensive though during the kickstarter ($499?) but I suspect Arpara will have the usual kickstarter woes while Bigscreen sounds much more likely to be solid and is priced accordingly ($1000?).

Per Sadly its Bradleys last video this HMD is only 2560 x 2560 @ 75hz or 1920 x 1920 upscaled 1.3 @90hz which is trash....so effectively this is a 75hz headset.

Pre.................................Order.........................CANCELLED.

Per Sadly its Bradleys last video this HMD is only 2560 x 2560 @ 75hz or 1920 x 1920 upscaled 1.3 @90hz which is trash....so effectively this is a 75hz headset.

Pre.................................Order.........................CANCELLED.

Ouch, doesn't sound great.

Bla, I was hoping Valve would push the next generation of PCVR. A consortium of developers, companies working together, software and hardware maybe more needed in the PCVR space. The costs now to develop and compete next level is astronomical.

The PSVR 2 headset I would love to see on the PC. Except will most likely will be limited to the PS5 and it’s hardware limitations. As for the Quest? Another bla.

On the PC side, for wireless, just stream to the headset, no need for the extra processing, weight, battery draining subpar processors.

Maybe DSC isn’t working yet? Has big screen confirmed that it is a non patchable limitation of the hardware? (75hz@2560?)

Maybe DSC isn’t working yet? Has big screen confirmed that it is a non patchable limitation of the hardware? (75hz@2560?)
Backplain limitation of the panels. It is a 75hz G-Unit. Which is a no go for me.

Backplain limitation of the panels. It is a 75hz G-Unit. Which is a no go for me.
The comfort in my case between 120hz/fps and 90hz/fps is huge! 75, no way as well. Now maybe good for flight simulator.

The comfort in my case between 120hz/fps and 90hz/fps is huge! 75, no way as well. Now maybe good for flight simulator.
90hz is as low as I go.

1691583154182.png

You lost me at Apple FaceID compatible device required... (Sure, it's an optional thingy, but I don't care. If you make using an iDevice a requirement for ANYTHING I'm dippin' like dots)

So where does this leave us? I need to update my OG rift, but I don't know where to turn :(

This headset isn't an upgrade path from the Rift, it's an upgrade path for the Valve Index. You need all the valve index base stations, controllers, etc to use this.

Unless you want to spend thousands of dollars, probably just wait for Quest 3 to drop and get that. It'll be a massive upgrade over your Rift. Even a Quest 2 is a huge upgrade over the Rift.

Not sure how it didn't make it here, but Linus did a review/preview of it, I randomly watched it at some point because it came up on recommended videos.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdBnkxxImwI
I don't know how much he was talking it up, but based on what I saw in this preview, this might be about the only VR headset I'm sort of interested in. The question is what sort of privacy policy it has on it. If it's a "dumb" headset with no additional strings attached that just interfaces via SteamVR though, I'm interested.

Not sure how it didn't make it here, but Linus did a review/preview of it, I randomly watched it at some point because it came up on recommended videos.

Probably wasn't posted here because Linus isn't a good reviewer for VR headsets.

I don't know how much he was talking it up, but based on what I saw in this preview, this might be about the only VR headset I'm sort of interested in.

It's an interesting looking headset. And it seems like it will be the go to headset for watching movies. The custom face gasket does solve a lot of the fitting problems that other headsets have. However there are issues too,

No audio in the stock strap, need to buy a another strap for that.
The custom face gasket is great if you are the only the one the uses the headset. The Sweet spot is so small that if the headset isn't sitting exactly right on your head, everything looks terrible.
Fixed IPD. So same problem as above, can't share headset with other users.
No wireless. Which might not be a problem for some. Personally, I could never go back to a wired headset.
Uses OLED screens. Both an advantage and a disadvantage.
Uses upscaling from 1920x1920 to get 2560x2560 @90hz.

However, if you are mainly a sit down sim gamer and movie watcher this headset is almost perfect for you. It's even better if you are upgrading from a previous headset that uses lighthouses, like the HTC Vive or Valve Index. As that will save you a bit of money.

The question is what sort of privacy policy it has on it. If it's a "dumb" headset with no additional strings attached that just interfaces via SteamVR though, I'm interested.

Well, if you are that worried about privacy, then this headset isn't for you. You have to use an Apple iPhone to scan your face and make a 3D model that you send to BigscreenVR. Which they then use to make the Face Gasket.

Probably wasn't posted here because Linus isn't a good reviewer for VR headsets.
He's the worst. LTT is a jack of all trades, master at none. Should've stick with what they do best with PC hardware.
It's an interesting looking headset. And it seems like it will be the go to headset for watching movies. The custom face gasket does solve a lot of the fitting problems that other headsets have. However there are issues too,

No audio in the stock strap, need to buy a another strap for that.
The custom face gasket is great if you are the only the one the uses the headset. The Sweet spot is so small that if the headset isn't sitting exactly right on your head, everything looks terrible.
Fixed IPD. So same problem as above, can't share headset with other users.
No wireless. Which might not be a problem for some. Personally, I could never go back to a wired headset.
Uses OLED screens. Both an advantage and a disadvantage.
Uses upscaling from 1920x1920 to get 2560x2560 @90hz.

However, if you are mainly a sit down sim gamer and movie watcher this headset is almost perfect for you. It's even better if you are upgrading from a previous headset that uses lighthouses, like the HTC Vive or Valve Index. As that will save you a bit of money.
It's a perfectly made handset if you don't FHD~WQHD resolution and low PPi.

I read about it and it has several cons: micro OLED means high persistence or low brightness (you have to pick one), only 75hz at full resolution, and comfort seems to be hit and miss. Carmack has mixed things to say about it - even the optics. More reflections/rays, and smaller sweet spot specifically.

And then you need the base stations and possibly controllers, and no wireless option.

It's still appealing, I too hope they either improve it, or that others steal their better ideas.

micro OLED means high persistence or low brightness
If low-brightness means I'm not blinded in normal lighting, I'm all for it. And since you are wearing a display with blinders (effectively using it in a dark room) I'm not sure brightness is really a concern anyway. (Edit: I mean, as long as it has good contrast, your eyes will automatically adjust so that the brightest thing will appear to be...brightest, even blinding if there's enough contrast)

That said, I'm not really interested in VR headsets at this point. Maybe in a few years.

Yea I know low brightness in VR is not necessarily terrible. Mostly the issue is no HDR at that point.

Yea I know low brightness in VR is not necessarily terrible. Mostly the issue is no HDR at that point.
"Low brightness' when it comes to HDR OLED means less than 250nits 50% --- full screen and less than 1000nits 50% --- 1% peak brightness.

The sad thing is oled is inherently very low persistence/ very fast rise time (1ms or less when optimized) so a dedicated Vr solution could theoretically use 1000hz blanking or rolling wipe mechanisms to exceed any other display device in perceived motion clarity with very minimal impact on brightness. The limits seem to be in the display controllers rolling with the same old algorithms.

The sad thing is oled is inherently very low persistence/ very fast rise time (1ms or less when optimized) so a dedicated Vr solution could theoretically use 1000hz blanking or rolling wipe mechanisms to exceed any other display device in perceived motion clarity with very minimal impact on brightness. The limits seem to be in the display controllers rolling with the same old algorithms.

I don't think that's right. How would that make a difference?

"Low brightness' when it comes to HDR OLED means less than 250nits 50% --- full screen and less than 1000nits 50% --- 1% peak brightness.
The number in VR are barely a fraction of that. I think to reach reasonable persistence you have to go down to less than 40 nits on the Bigscreen Beyond. IIRC Bradley and some other people had measurements/did the math. Either way do not even try to compare to what TVs or monitors can do, it's a whole different world. You lose brightness from both lenses (that simulate "depth/distance" but absorb a lot of light) and the blur reduction technology used (VR cannot rely on sample and hold displays or everyone will puke).

It looks really cool, but frankly it's just way too expensive. If it were about half that price, I would consider it.

The number in VR are barely a fraction of that. I think to reach reasonable persistence you have to go down to less than 40 nits on the Bigscreen Beyond. IIRC Bradley and some other people had measurements/did the math. Either way do not even try to compare to what TVs or monitors can do, it's a whole different world. You lose brightness from both lenses (that simulate "depth/distance" but absorb a lot of light) and the blur reduction technology used (VR cannot rely on sample and hold displays or everyone will puke).
Kinda true. I was assuming when people said OLED is dimmed, they were talking about the tech across devices. Rethinking again it's obviously kinda unfair to compare OLED VR brightness to an OLED monitor/TV. The formula just doesn't work like that.

Another interesting aspect, one point of brightness on an OLED can't be considered as equal to one point on an IPS due to the black background completely shuts itself down.

Yes definitely, and for that reason low brightness OLED can still look fantastic in a dark room for a lot of content.

Yes definitely, and for that reason low brightness OLED can still look fantastic in a dark room for a lot of content.
Exactly, and most of those LCD users kept demanding manufacturers to put brightness as high as ever while at the same time demanding bullet proofing burn-in resistance... It's such hypocritically ridiculous.

I recently got one, as I wanted to check out the current gen VR tech. I hadn't used anything since the consumer gen 1 occulus rift.
Its a huge improvement over that, love the light weight. I haven't used an index or anything like that, so can't compare to those.
The visual quality does drop off as you look away from the center though.
Also, the gasket is not breathable, so after using it for a bit it makes my face sweat, which isn't great.

Back