Big Navi is coming

Navi will scale really well. I hope the bigger parts come with HBM. The 5700 is the low end of this architecture simply because there is a shit load of 580/ 590's to fill in the low end.
Drivers were really not that bad considering this is brand new arch. The usual suspects in this thread are trying to shit on Navi simply because even a grand does not offer anything exiting. Its no secret how ray tracing has turned out.
I hope the big Navi is kind of like RVII , but it does not look this way. Navi will be the gaming and gaming only card...;)

Its no secret how ray tracing has turned out.
Not bothering with the rest of your fud, but raytracing turned out very well. Dozens of aaa titles are coming to use it and we already have a few major ones. Amd is just another billion dollar company, no need to act like they're altruistic. They aren't, no business is.

Sure. And if a driver optimization can make that much of a difference, well, then pour yourself a glass of Fine Wine. Now for coolers!

Huh, again, you clearly don't have one or know my temperature environments so save the sarcasm. It works for me.. Maybe not everyone, maybe I have a good one.. who the hell knows. Drivers are bugged for multimonitor again like the VII.

And I've asked for performance numbers versus release. Still waiting.

Ask Brent, mine wouldn't be apples to apples.

The games you probably play don't have drivers.

I meant the titles I play probably run in different conditions to what is tested. Plus I don't max out. I like to run at 120hz (120fps) relatively consistent.

Dodge! Deflect! Look over there!

Has nothing to do with nvidia, just an observation of an optimization that you are oblivious to.

Take a selfie!

As long as you'll wear it as your avatar.

Yes, bias.

I consistently display a preferential treatment toward using the better tool for the job. If I'm not recommending AMD enough for you, well, perhaps you should buy more stock so they have more R&D cash so they can make more products that are actually competitive for me to recommend.

I have your opinion versus every review- that means that you're claiming that the reviewers are all wrong. Bias, meet mirror.

They were both expected to be better, and they both fell short. Ah AMD, never change.

Not sure if this is for me.. but WTF you talking about. The reviews were pretty positive except for the issues that came about. Yeah it runs hot, but the card is by no means a flop. I paid $350 for the XT at launch. I would have passed at $400 which would have made my bill $1000 with the CPU.

OK man. Drivers were borked for the first 2 releases. I could only imagine the press driver. If you read the reviews they had all sorts of problems. So yes, launch day reviews are not 100% indication of the actual product. It doesn't matter what the damn product is. Nvidia, AMD, Intel... they all get bug fixes as time goes on.

But yeah AMD sucks and Navi is going to fail like Vega. There you happy with that comment? Is that what you want to hear?
Launch reviews sets the tone...it colors the product.
Take the GTX 680 vs. 7970

Launch reviews "color" the products for the majority of non-geeks...hence why they are so vital...look at any forum/tech-site

It is not often that people do later reviews that get much attention.

Like it or not...launch day reviews are the MOST vital reviews...flame on.

Launch reviews sets the tone...it colors the product.
Take the GTX 680 vs. 7970

Launch reviews "color" the products for the majority of non-geeks...hence why they are so vital...look at any forum/tech-site

It is not often that people do later reviews that get much attention.

Like it or not...launch day reviews are the MOST vital reviews...flame on.
Oh I agree. But still AMD never does good on launch. Ampere comes about.. ill be buying. I just love tech. No matter what side.

As much as I would hope you are right regarding the cooler. I think AMD is going to stick the shitty blower. No idea why they love those type of coolers laugh

Because the majority of people buying GPUs are not the type of folks that have custom case setups... or even one fan more then what came with the case. (assuming its not going into a tight packed dell hp or some even cheaper oem box).

It's easy to hate on blowers but the truth is a lot of custom cooler GPUs get returned cause some moron installed it in a case that just threw the hot air around... throttled the card a ton or worse. Just watch which cards pop up as referbs, a lot of custom fan jobs that likely got returned for exactly that issue. Shit installation.

Navi will scale really well. I hope the bigger parts come with HBM. The 5700 is the low end of this architecture simply because there is a shit load of 580/ 590's to fill in the low end.
Drivers were really not that bad considering this is brand new arch. The usual suspects in this thread are trying to shit on Navi simply because even a grand does not offer anything exiting. Its no secret how ray tracing has turned out.
I hope the big Navi is kind of like RVII , but it does not look this way. Navi will be the gaming and gaming only card...;)

I don't know this week we have seen a lot of wave 32 shader enabling happening in the Linux driver path. It might take awhile for some of the software guys to catch up... but the compute potential on Navi is very high if the software is written to use wave 32 where it makes sense.

What it means is that they're letting the card get hotter.

Increased heat means more stress on components and higher power draw, at a minimum- it really needs to be benchmarked.
I agree, like I mentioned, I haven't seen enough data to know the actual effects enough. A few degrees may or may not be enough to make much of a difference to performance but enough to allow fans to be less audible. Then again, I normally hand tweak my fan profiles so a lot this is just, meh.

In AMD's defense - both Polaris and Navi were supposed to be mid-lower range cards. And they were perfectly adequate and performed that function well.

I think a lot of people on the internet just got their expectations up.

Fury, Vega to a lesser extent, and Piledriver on the CPU side - now those were AMD letdowns.
Lol, I'm still rocking a fury... Keeps up with anything I do still. Used it for games, mining, you name it. Even supports freesync (if only my monitor did). I run it slightly undervolted and overclocked so it do any draw to much power and stays cool. It is very long in the tooth and if I honestly did a bit more gaming I'd need to upgrade. I know what your saying though, hopefully they continue to compete mid range for a little while and come back to the high end eventually.

The new drivers did help or fix the heat / fan issue.

When I first tested the card, I got to 90C very quickly, within 1 or 2 minutes on a game.

Now, with latest drivers and default fan profile, I've tested several minutes of Heaven maxed 1080p and Superposition 4K and it's barely into the lower 80C range.

I don't really hear the fan either, so I would consider this problem solved. Of course, you can up the fan profile if doing overclocking, but the default settings are now proper.

Is that good?

Not bothering with the rest of your fud, but raytracing turned out very well. Dozens of aaa titles are coming to use it and we already have a few major ones. Amd is just another billion dollar company, no need to act like they're altruistic. They aren't, no business is.

well, as an RTX owner - i think it's highly overrated.. so there is that..

Sure. And if a driver optimization can make that much of a difference, well, then pour yourself a glass of Fine Wine. Now for coolers!

And I've asked for performance numbers versus release. Still waiting.

The games you probably play don't have drivers.

Dodge! Deflect! Look over there!

Take a selfie!

Yes, bias.

I consistently display a preferential treatment toward using the better tool for the job. If I'm not recommending AMD enough for you, well, perhaps you should buy more stock so they have more R&D cash so they can make more products that are actually competitive for me to recommend.

I have your opinion versus every review- that means that you're claiming that the reviewers are all wrong. Bias, meet mirror.

They were both expected to be better, and they both fell short. Ah AMD, never change.

First of, LOL!

Second off, you did not answer the Polaris question except with you personal green bias and nothing else. I am more specifically saying the engineers expected more but it did not work for them as expected, that is all. I will stick with what I said, which is I am reponding too a person who consistent displays preferential treatment for Nvidia products, and not because he considers them better......

*Cough* GPP *Cough*

In AMD's defense - both Polaris and Navi were supposed to be mid-lower range cards. And they were perfectly adequate and performed that function well.

Fury, Vega to a lesser extent, and Piledriver on the CPU side - now those were AMD letdowns.

Yes, but based on Kyle's article from about 3 years ago, I got the distinct impression that more was expected from Polaris than was able to be gotten out of it, on the engineers side of things.

Lol, I'm still rocking a fury... Keeps up with anything I do still. .

Some might have higher demands...it's a bit of a fluffy non-description you gave.

What do you do?
720p gaming?
The devil is in the details.

which is I am reponding too a person who consistent displays preferential treatment for Nvidia products, and not because he considers them better......

That's the only reason I display 'preferential treatment' to anything.

Second off, you did not answer the Polaris question except with you personal green bias and nothing else. I am more specifically saying the engineers expected more but it did not work for them as expected, that is all.

...which means that the engineering staff were given a target and fell short, repeatedly. I think we agree there.

I agree, like I mentioned, I haven't seen enough data to know the actual effects enough. A few degrees may or may not be enough to make much of a difference to performance but enough to allow fans to be less audible. Then again, I normally hand tweak my fan profiles so a lot this is just, meh.

Yup- if there was something AMD missed in their power profiles that was causing unnecessary power draw, and cutting that power draw had no effect on performance save reducing the need for higher fan speeds, then great! That means that the blowers will be less insufferable, and that third-party coolers will be even more effective.

I'm just asking to see the numbers. I'm not asking you to produce them yourself- but rather, let's see a reviewer that did a detailed and representative launch review follow up with the new drivers.

Going to have to disagree with you on this, the vibe going around regarding navi was that it was more gcn and was going to launch at the low end with AMD not having anything competitive for all of 2019 until big navi, not upper mid range. Also, I have not seen a negative review, the only negative I've seen noted is the blower and I feel as if that's been blown (hehe) out of proportion.

Amd priced piledriver excellently. It's not nearly as trash as everyone says. I still have a piledriver system, and I have an idle ryzen system just because it's not worth my time to migrate software. The 8320e is doing all the 1080p60 things maxed out.

I replaced a 6300 @ 4.3ghz with a ryzen 1600 w/3200mhz ram. It's a great system, but honestly in comparison to what I had, I want my $1000 bucks back.

Amd priced piledriver excellently. It's not nearly as trash as everyone says. I still have a piledriver system, and I have an idle ryzen system just because it's not worth my time to migrate software. The 8320e is doing all the 1080p60 things maxed out.

I replaced a 6300 @ 4.3ghz with a ryzen 1600 w/3200mhz ram. It's a great system, but honestly in comparison to what I had, I want my $1000 bucks back.

Sorry but, piledriver was kind of trash. Price was the only thing it had going for it. Single threaded performance was atrocious and things we're really getting threaded well during it's time.

Sorry but, piledriver was kind of trash. Price was the only thing it had going for it. Single threaded performance was atrocious and things we're really getting threaded well during it's time.
I disagree, and still use this platform along aside more modern stuff.

I disagree, and still use this platform along aside more modern stuff.

I agree with your disagreeing. :) Now that I am running at 1080p and 1440p, both at 144hz, the newer processors I have definitively help. However, the FX 8 core processors I once had always did a very good job, even in gaming.

Some might have higher demands...it's a bit of a fluffy non-description you gave.

What do you do?
720p gaming?
The devil is in the details.

The fury still out performes the RX 580 and even Vega 56 for the most part. 720P ? No the Fury can still more then handle 1080p high-ultra settings depending on the game. There is very few games that the fury can't still turn out 120+FPS at 1080p and even 100+ at 1440.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-gaming-2018holidays
This isn't that old... varies by game but for the most part the Fury sits right around or slightly above Vega 56 level overall at least in regards to Linux gaming at 1440 high settings.

If I had a fury card right now I wouldn't be to worried about replacing it until Big Navi and Ampere show up... and for that matter can probably hold off till Intel gets XE rolled out at this point. The only killer game I can think of coming in the next year that may stress a fury over 1080p is Cyberpunk. (and it may well be shockingly playable on fury/vega class cards, we don't know yet)

I think it will be made of chicklets... or chiplets... or both.

The fury still out performes the RX 580 and even Vega 56 for the most part. 720P ? No the Fury can still more then handle 1080p high-ultra settings depending on the game. There is very few games that the fury can't still turn out 120+FPS at 1080p and even 100+ at 1440.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-gaming-2018holidays
This isn't that old... varies by game but for the most part the Fury sits right around or slightly above Vega 56 level overall at least in regards to Linux gaming at 1440 high settings.

If I had a fury card right now I wouldn't be to worried about replacing it until Big Navi and Ampere show up... and for that matter can probably hold off till Intel gets XE rolled out at this point. The only killer game I can think of coming in the next year that may stress a fury over 1080p is Cyberpunk. (and it may well be shockingly playable on fury/vega class cards, we don't know yet)

I'll buy fury is faster than the 580, vega 56? big fat nope.

I agree with your disagreeing. :) Now that I am running at 1080p and 1440p, both at 144hz, the newer processors I have definitively help. However, the FX 8 core processors I once had always did a very good job, even in gaming.
This is quite off topic, but in my experience the FX processors did gaming best. The only improvement I noticed when I upgraded is my room is now cooler.

I'll buy fury is faster than the 580, vega 56? big fat nope.

Depending on the title it is in fact. Regardless... if you have a fury right now, I don't see the point of upgrading unless you just bought a shiny new 4k or high refresh 1440. Anyone on 1080p high refresh or not... or older 1440 is probably just fine sitting on the fury till there are a few more options in the market.

Nice no reply...
I'm not here to convince you things I know as fact. Everything you posted is irrelevant to everything I've said. If you want to play games at 720p and 200fps knock yourself out. You'll need a fast Intel chip for that. Pile driver was released many year ago. It excels at gaming still. The fact that faster processors exist does not make them bad. They were never the fastest, but priced right. All the trash talk over the years caused me to expect a performance bump when I upgraded. It was marginal, definately not worth $1000. At no point did I say "piledriver is faster than X". Just like the guy here saying his fury is doing just fine. Fury got shit on too. Expectations were high and it fell short, but at no point was it trash either. In fact it's still a really good card.

Back