BF3 Multi-Player Amazing

Quick question: Has there been any issues of lots of people lining up to get a jet instead of fighting? It would happen on BF2 a lot.

It's not that bad since players can spawn on empty jets and helis.

I don't know about the final (haven't played enough yet), but in the Beta it was still a BIG problem on Caspian Border with 64 players. I would typically see at least 2-5 players standing around on the airfield doing nothing.

Another issue was that, yes, you can spawn on the plane, but that's actually an annoying, shitty feature IMO. Say you see the plane, no one is around, so you start to run towards it. A split second before you get there, some jagoff who just respawned spawns in the plane and takes it. So not only do you not get the plane, you've now wasted your time running toward it when you could have been on your way to the front. Plus, a number of times when I've seen the plane spawn button in the spawn menu, I pressed it and still did not get the plane spawn. I'm also fairly sure that some players will just avoid respawning and wait in the spawn screen for a plane to appear, and then fight to spawn in it.

Hopefully this issue will be alleviated once people get bored with the planes, but as of yet I've only been able to use a plane ONCE due to this bullshit.

That is absurd. Way to easy to use, and basing it off the mini map is the worst idea in the world.

Lol...yeah, it does seem absurd. The mortars seem to hit WAY too quickly...in reality it takes quite some time for them to hit after fired as it's generally a pretty high arc.

They take longer the farther away you launch.

It is absurdly easy to be counter-mortared, as everytime you fire you show up as a giant red mortar icon on the map. You can maybe launch 3 off before you get destroyed.

Mortars will be less and less used as more support unlock them and can counter mortar.

Maybe they could fix the plane issue by creating a pilot class. Say the pilot soldier is very limited in ground combat ability, armed maybe with a pistol only, but is able to fly planes. Taking it a step further, it would be nice to see them qualified to fly planes as well, maybe passing some sort of flying tutorial and then combat lessons in order to make them useful to the battlefield instead of just hopping in a plane because its something different. This way those that really have a desire to fly, are mostly limited to flying but also experienced at using the planes.

This could be applied to tanks or other vehicles as well.

Maybe they could fix the plane issue by creating a pilot class. Say the pilot soldier is very limited in ground combat ability, armed maybe with a pistol only, but is able to fly planes. Taking it a step further, it would be nice to see them qualified to fly planes as well, maybe passing some sort of flying tutorial and then combat lessons in order to make them useful to the battlefield instead of just hopping in a plane because its something different. This way those that really have a desire to fly, are mostly limited to flying but also experienced at using the planes.

This could be applied to tanks or other vehicles as well.

This actually hits on one of the main problems I always had with the aircraft in the Battlefield games, the ability to jump into a plane, fly it until it's about to go down and then eject from the plane and your still as well equipped as anyone else on the ground.

I like the idea of a pilot class with very limited armament, although rather then have it selectable it should just be made such that when you get into a pilot seat you loose everything but your pistol and knife but of course once out of the craft you could pick up a dropped weapon to be combat effective.

This actually hits on one of the main problems I always had with the aircraft in the Battlefield games, the ability to jump into a plane, fly it until it's about to go down and then eject from the plane and your still as well equipped as anyone else on the ground.

I like the idea of a pilot class with very limited armament, although rather then have it selectable it should just be made such that when you get into a pilot seat you loose everything but your pistol and knife but of course once out of the craft you could pick up a dropped weapon to be combat effective.

This is a delicious idea. I absolutely despised all the snipers who would jump in an attach chopper in BC2 just to fly to their desired camping spot, then eject.

Only thing I'm hating so far is that people use RPGs instead of rifles half the time. I seem to recall BF1942 and maybe BF2 having rockets that only did major damage to vehicles unless you shoot someone directly with them. They shouldn't be like a 6-shot grenade launcher that does a ton of damage...

ouch I dont like the sound of that, hopefully they tweak that some. instagib noob-launchers are near the top of things I deeply despise about some fps games

Only problem with your idea as opposed to mine is that it still doesn't stop anyone from jumping into a plane if they can still arm themselves on the ground with whatever weapon they want. My idea limits a pilot to using a pistol so that if you choose to be a pilot, you had better know how to fly the plane or you'll get shot down and won't survive on the ground very long. I also prefer the idea of people being trained and virtually qualified to fly a plane before they can enter one as they would in real life. In real life not just anyone can jump in a plane and fly away with success. Training and qualifying guarantees that the person flying the plane is good at it and can contribute to the battlefield.

Sounds like they should put those hands together. Require training for flying, but include stripping of supplies down to pistol upon entering, as if you were to crash and get out, there shoudln't be anything stopping you from taking someone else's gun, etc.

I have no problem getting into planes on 64 player maps from the spawn window. Requiring some sort training for flying is retarded.

Only problem with your idea as opposed to mine is that it still doesn't stop anyone from jumping into a plane if they can still arm themselves on the ground with whatever weapon they want. My idea limits a pilot to using a pistol so that if you choose to be a pilot, you had better know how to fly the plane or you'll get shot down and won't survive on the ground very long. I also prefer the idea of people being trained and virtually qualified to fly a plane before they can enter one as they would in real life. In real life not just anyone can jump in a plane and fly away with success. Training and qualifying guarantees that the person flying the plane is good at it and can contribute to the battlefield.

Well my idea is that once they are out of the plane they are just like any other troop and just as some outfitted as an assault class can pick up an engineer kit from a downed soilder so could the person who had been flying the plane.

I don't care what they do 2 minutes after ejecting but no way they should hit the ground with a full combat kit.

While some sort of offline pilot training tutorial would be nice, where would you draw the line? Jets? Choppers? Tanks? APCs? Jeeps? Weapons on vehicles? How about personal weapons?

Personally I would rather EA spend the time on the core game, be it SP or MP, then put time into requiring you to complete something to fly, drive or shoot something. Are some people better at flying then others? Sure, but the way they got that way was by flying in BF2, or other games just as many people who now are poor at it will get better with time.

Sounds like they should put those hands together. Require training for flying, but include stripping of supplies down to pistol upon entering, as if you were to crash and get out, there shoudln't be anything stopping you from taking someone else's gun, etc.

Exactly.

I don't care what they do 2 minutes after ejecting but no way they should hit the ground with a full combat kit.

Why not? Real life pilots get an entire satchel full of stuff. Food, water, radios, flares, smoke grenades, a pistol etc etc. I'm sure they could carry an M16 around in there too if they wanted, it just hasnt been military practice to require this. There is no practical reason a pilot should be stripped to nothing more than a swiss army knife just because he is flying a plane, our military pilots certainly aren't.

I have no problem getting into planes on 64 player maps from the spawn window. Requiring some sort training for flying is retarded.

I rather enjoy seeing a first-timer run off the runway into a ball of fire, or hover about 5 feet with the Viper before suddenly ditching it to the right. Always good for a laugh :)

Why not? Real life pilots get an entire satchel full of stuff. Food, water, radios, flares, smoke grenades, a pistol etc etc. I'm sure they could carry an M16 around in there too if they wanted, it just hasnt been military practice to require this.

I honestly don't think there is room...have you ever seen the inside of a fighter cockpit?

Also, they're not equipping to be an assault force. It's just a survival kit IN CASE they get shot down. It shouldn't be like in BF3 where you can fly a plane/heli, eject and have an assault rifle and a SMAW and shit. That doesn't make any sense.

They don't require training, but the stripping of supplies is exactly what they do in the ACE mod for ArmA2...a mod which prides itself on realism.

I got in a plane twice. First time I ran into the ground, second time I flew fine but couldnt hit a thing. I was literally just wasting my time up there.

I wont be getting back in the queue any time soon.

Why not? Real life pilots get an entire satchel full of stuff. Food, water, radios, flares, smoke grenades, a pistol etc etc. I'm sure they could carry an M16 around in there too if they wanted, it just hasnt been military practice to require this. There is no practical reason a pilot should be stripped to nothing more than a swiss army knife just because he is flying a plane, our military pilots certainly aren't.

Have you ever actually seen the cockpit of a jet and/or a pilot's survival kit? Everything short of the knife, pistol and radio would fit in a standard civilian fanny pack and have room to spare. As for a carrying a rifle, not only isn't there room in a jet, but even in a chopper if a rifle is carried it's not where the pilot could reach it if he's jumping out while the craft is flying as it would belong to the crew chief in back (assuming he's onboard.)

During Vietnam some chopper pilots would carry an M1 carbine or small smg, but that's about it, and again these really only were useful when the craft was on the ground, plus there is the simple reality that you can't really bail out of a helo, and in fact the pilots don't even wear chutes (I know various makers experimented with various designed but I don't think anything ever came of them.)

Of course let's not forget the simple reality that when pilots bail out they don't wade into the fight to get a few kills and instead their job is to e&e (escape and evade) the enemy and get safe until they can be retrieved

I rather enjoy seeing a first-timer run off the runway into a ball of fire, or hover about 5 feet with the Viper before suddenly ditching it to the right. Always good for a laugh :)

That's why you'll never see me flying any of the aircraft, choppers I always end up either doing a backflip or nosediving into the ground. As for jets I can fly them but never really seem able to do anything productive while in them. lol!

so is there still no proper joystick support for the game?

I've got an aging Saitek X58 combo working just fine on my PC. You HAVE to unmap alot of the other binds as they're linked by default to work with a console type controller i think.

A lot of the conquest maps I've been playing the jets are just sitting there unused. As another person said, I just fly up there and waste my time. Can't seem to hit anything. And it is very amusing watching the random person try to takeoff in a jet and explode in a giant ball of flame. :D

Helicopters I can do alright in, but usually I take off and make it bout 100m before I get a LOCK warning and blown out of the sky, lol.

All in all tho, only been able to play a couple hours but it's been an absolute blast! Can't wait to get some serious time in this weekend.

The aerial vehicles were absolutely paramount in BF2. In BF3 you apparently have to earn a lot of things like flares, missiles, bombs etc. By default the "stock" aircraft are borderline useless. I imagine patience will really pay off once you have a fully armed vehicle and can lay down death from above.

so is there still no proper joystick support for the game?

My Logitech Attack 3 has pre-sets for jets and they are terrible. In BF2, it takes me seconds to reconfigure my joystick to accommodate how I fly. In BF3, it seems impossible to configure the trigger to "fire". Everytime I try to, it gives me a PAD number. :confused: I got the chopper set-up well tho. I had to invert the controls for pitch so that it makes sense. Like moving the mouse up actually pitches up and down is down. I use a mouse instead of a joystick to fly chopper and it flies basically like BF2 but if you have a retarded gunner it's mostly useless. It reminds me of the gunship in BF2142 where only a few people really knew how to gun properly. No TV guided missiles? Unreal...

I flew chopper a few times and I was "locked" on and fired upon. "X" is supposed to be the counter-measure and I used it but nothing happened. I was expecting some sort of chafe but nothing at all happened that I saw.

The jet controls are still a mess to me and i'll need to adjust. It's not like it matters anyway. The jets and choppers in BF3 seem like more of an after-thought...something tacked on that they HAD to include or people would be livid about it like they were with "no jets" in BF2142. No bombing runs? That's 50% percent of the fun of flying.

Is there an off-line mode where I practice flying? hmm...

Gah, The menu/hud isn't working in NV Surround. You guys talking like this are going to make me resort to a single monitor to get some game time in!

I fixed this, but had to edit the PROF_SAVE_profile file with Notepad++ (notpad wont run it, get notepad++). That file is located in \users\%username\documents\battlefield3\settings.

Manually edit the binary with Notepad++ and set the resolution to what you want then launch the game. This is how I got Eyefinity to work.

Just picked up the Limited Edition from local store. Too bad I won't be back in town until Friday evening. Oh the agony.

I did a search but didn't quite come up with what I was looking for... what's the size footprint of the BF3 full install on your hard drive? I want to see if I can squeeze it on my SSD.

Well my idea is that once they are out of the plane they are just like any other troop and just as some outfitted as an assault class can pick up an engineer kit from a downed soilder so could the person who had been flying the plane.

While some sort of offline pilot training tutorial would be nice, where would you draw the line? Jets? Choppers? Tanks? APCs? Jeeps? Weapons on vehicles? How about personal weapons?

Personally I would rather EA spend the time on the core game, be it SP or MP, then put time into requiring you to complete something to fly, drive or shoot something. Are some people better at flying then others? Sure, but the way they got that way was by flying in BF2, or other games just as many people who now are poor at it will get better with time.

Exactly.

Depends on how realistic you like your games to be, in the military there's not nearly as much training to shoot a gun as there is to fly a jet, and likely a tank too. All I'm saying is that if you treat the game more like real life it will address some of the concerns you have. As it stands though, in video game world, anyone can fly a jet and no one has to be good at it, and there's no penalty for screwing it up. Just saying, you have to take some steps to solve these issues which may and probably should require trade-off's.

BF3 is not real life.

And because of this, there are inherent video game issues that will plague the game. Whether you agree or not, Dice was aiming for a more realistic battlefield experience, but you're always going to have some issue with this in a video game without penalties because anyone can do what they want without any penalty. This is fine for some and not fine for others.

Pretty sure he means full assault weapons, not basic survival gear which I don't think anyone has an issue with.

sound yes, graphics yes, gameplay....nothing new, it still plays and feels just like BC2

Sadly, BF3 is making me realize why I don't play FPS's that often anymore. Not being younger and having my skill deteriorate with age, I'm getting fed up with my .5 kdr placing in the top 5 on most Conquest servers (I enjoy the 64 player servers). The word objective seems to be a mystery to most players, and it feels like I'm always facing my opponent 1 vs 5 while I have 4 other teammates with their back to the enemy, oblivious to why there are shots being fired.

Sadly, BF3 is making me realize why I don't play FPS's that often anymore. Not being younger and having my skill deteriorate with age, I'm getting fed up with my .5 kdr placing in the top 5 on most Conquest servers (I enjoy the 64 player servers). The word objective seems to be a mystery to most players, and it feels like I'm always facing my opponent 1 vs 5 while I have 4 other teammates with their back to the enemy, oblivious to why there are shots being fired.

So you don't like the game because of your KD ratio and the fact that people choose not to go for objectives in public games?

So you don't like the game because of your KD ratio and the fact that people choose not to go for objectives in public games?

Not that, but I prefer to win games and it gets frustrating when you have 30 teammates who don't understand the concept of team. There is no team in the word I, after all.

Does anyone play this on a decent HTPC with a real subwoofer. Does the sound go low in this game? I am looking for some game to use with my 5.1 system. Several games just dont have any base when there are explosions it is odd.

It has been a while since I have played an FPS. I have no clue what I am doing in this. I have been trying to just follow others around. Where can I find a guide how to play BF3? Are there instructions on what to do?

Back