Best RPG ever??

Someone did mention Xenogears, on the second page. And I don't know if I want a Xenogears sequel, considering its Square and the guy who did it, is not there any longer.

My friend's neighbor had a garage sale last week and sold me baldur's gate for $4. Maybe i'll start playing it tonight.

This is all smoke! Chrono Trigger is EASILY the BEST RPG OF ALL TIME!!!

Fail! Xenogears is definitely better!

and yea those golden rules are rather accurate. Not always true but, it seems to be most of the time.

God this thread wants me to play Chrono Trigger again. My top picks are (in no particular order): Chrono Trigger, FFVI, FFVII, and FFT (Original PSX) The PSP port's sound effects and dialogue were horrible beyond belief and im not exaggerating. I couldnt believe that they went out of their way to screw up the sounds. Sure the animated FMVs were a nice addition, but they only last for a few minutes at a time while the sounds annoy you throughout the game.

Anyhow, those are the of the best off of the top of my head atm. Square had some sort of magic dust that made their games great back in the day. I have no idea what happened since then.

Mario RPG, greatest of all time
Ah, I forgot about the Mario games!

Paper Mario for the N64 and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door for the Gamecube are both kickass RPGs. Haven't had a chance to check out Super Paper Mario yet, unfortunately.

PoolRad-Title.png

The Gold Box Games.

However, Knights of the Old Republic is a damn close second.

No, good game, beautiful graphics, but definitely NOT the best RPG ever... Morrowind was way better

I would say FFVII for the story but I really miss old dos RPG's like diablo, fallout, dark sun, and daggerfall...

Also, despite the faggot grinding and the empty feeling left inside of you when you finally quit WoW is a pretty amazing and epic scale RPG.

gfs_45698_1_1.jpg
daggerfall.png

oldschool...

Final Fantasy Tactics. Played it over so many times and I don't even think I beat the game. I still have the Strategy guide. Games are just not the same anymore or I'm getting to that age. Getting Cloud was new.

If you're considering FFT a RPG, then DEFINITELY FFT, but I always considered it a TBS, so in that case..

My vote goes to Icewind Dale. I've never played BG 1 or 2, so I figure if I liked Icewind Dale, I would like them, and from what I heard, they're a bit better than Icewind Dale.

Anything Bioware/ Black Isle................. damn, I miss those days.... *cry*

If you're considering FFT a RPG, then DEFINITELY FFT, but I always considered it a TBS, so in that case..

My vote goes to Icewind Dale. I've never played BG 1 or 2, so I figure if I liked Icewind Dale, I would like them, and from what I heard, they're a bit better than Icewind Dale.

Yes, FFT was not a true RPG. I'm not a big fan of RPG so this is the closest thing for me.

Anyone remember the old Infocom text-only RPG/Adventure games?

Infidel
Sorcerer
Zork series
Starcross

... to name a few!

yeah Chrono Trigger is one of the best RPGs of all times
i remember beating the game in all its endings, and with lots of cats ;)

the story is very good, and the graphics were top notch at that time. The character design was made by Akira Toriyama, the creator of Dragon Ball

FFIX story was awesome and I loved the game play...

FF7 still dear to my heart as numba 1

I had a ton of fun with Neverwinter Nights a bunch of years ago. Oblivion was great too, but NWN was more addicting.

PC, I'd have to go with Fallout series. Really great games.

Console, I was always partial to Chrono Trigger, but there are so many gems that can't really say 'best ever'.

Chrono Trigger Final Fantasy 3/VI for SNES, Super Mario RPG (What a godly game that was) FF7, FFT, Xenogears, Wild arms, Chrono Cross, FF8, FF9, FFX, FFX-2. That my order

I have a complete chrono trigger box with all the maps, artwork, and instructions at home. Somone tell me how much of a baller I really am.

super mario RPG is freaking amazing.

Earthbound was awesome

SNES RULES

I really really enjoyed IWD2 i cant get myself to play 1 though, Im on the brink of buying baldurs gate 1 and 2 though. and planetscape.

I sold my Chrono Trigger without the box or instructions for 90 bucks last year.....I miss the dust it collected.

I had the sega channel it was my bff.

Baldur's Gate.
Go through the first one (and the Sword Coast expansion) and then import your character into BG2, and finish with the Throne of Bhaal expansion.
It gets no better than that. Completing all 4 items with most of the subquests would probably encompass 150-200 hours, too.
If we're only talking a single game, Baldur's Gate 2.

Runners up would be Daggerfall, Oblivion, Final Fantasy 6, the first Lunar, and Phantasy Star 2.
Oh yeah, I can't forget Icewind Dale, too! It's like Baldur's Gate, but it's a lot more combat heavy.

1. Final Fantasy VII
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Diablo II: LOD
4. Final fantasy 6 (JP)
5. Suikoden III

I still stand by Ultima 7 The Serpent Isle as the best most involving RPG of all time.

Recently The Witcher proved that the genre is still alive and kicking. The Witcher is simply epic in its scope and detail.

what do make of the icewind dale games and diablo 1+2

Icewind Dale is ok but Neverwinter Nights is quite a bit better. I could never get into Diablo series even though I have tried to like them. They are too much hack and slash and not enough RPG for me. I know lots of people like Diablo but it is not really an RPG. I'm currently playing Fallout right now which is very good. There is no *best* RPG IMO because they all have different pros and cons. For combat system I like the Balder's Gate type of system but for environment and exploration I like Oblivion the best. Oblivion really pulls me into the environment and makes me feel like I am there (that's if you don't use teleportation to get around the game world) but I don't like the action type of combat much but that seems to be the way all RPG's are going. I guess they do that to appeal more to the console crowd. :(

Recently The Witcher proved that the genre is still alive and kicking. The Witcher is simply epic in its scope and detail.

Yea, it's good but I don't like being forced to play with one pre-made character. Part of the fun of RPG is creating your own character or at least having various classes to play as.

but I don't like the action type of combat much but that seems to be the way all RPG's are going. I guess they do that to appeal more to the console crowd. :(

This is exactly how I feel. Games like Gothic II, Oblivion, Witcher have so much going for them but I HATE the combat. I wonder if we will ever see another game where you have a party and have to use strategy to win a fight like BG2. I wonder what the combat model is for Dragon Age?

This is exactly how I feel. Games like Gothic II, Oblivion, Witcher have so much going for them but I HATE the combat. I wonder if we will ever see another game where you have a party and have to use strategy to win a fight like BG2. I wonder what the combat model is for Dragon Age?

At the moment, The Witcher is as good as you can get. Combat is rather simple. But the story and atmosphere is good. You really feel that you are walking into a village/ town/ sewer. I also like the more mature theme. Whores and swearing are very much part of the real world whether you like it or not.

Oblivion? It is ... pathetic... (put on flame coat). Oblivion is a very boring game. True, it has spectacular graphics. But the leveling system and combat system are really really disappointing (yes, I know there are mods ;p)

I would also like to have another game that is isometric/ party based/ turn based. Just hope that developers realize that not every game needs to be played in first person.

Back