Best RPG ever??

Diablo II was perfect for me. I consider it a piece of art. The music, sound design, graphics(artwork), cinematics, chars, gameplay, randomized itemization that kept you playing online just to get that specific topquality unique that never ever drops, 3 modes of difficulty for the same character wich made the game 3 times longer, and the last step "Hell" so rewardingly hard, it was infact a real challenge. "Action with consequences", no faggot ability to respec, if you regret points spent into some skills or attributes, there was nothing to do about it but to start over, it made sense in this game to use your brain and think and plan before you act. Multiplayer with battle.net providing servers that in theory could eliminate all cheating if they wanted to work on it. I miss the days when i first got the game and discovered things for the first time :)

Honestly if D2 had better graphics and it was supported by blizzard like WoW is, it would still be the perfect action-RPG and I would play it all the time.

Hm... so tough to call a flat out best. I guess Final Fantasy VII and Chrono Trigger pretty much tie for first for me.

With honorable mentions going to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Grandia II, and the awesome Planescape Torment. And even cheating and naming all these I still feel bad leaving so many great ones out :)

Fallout
Baldur's Gate 2
Planescape Torment
KOTOR

I can't choose which is best, but nothing else even comes close imo, Black Isle and Bioware can't be touched.

Just out of curiosity. I have an extremely mint copt of FF7 and was wondering if its worth any money these days. I thought it looked cool but dissed it after 5 minutes. God I hate RPGs.

I still keep Fallout 2 and Arcanum installed on my machines at all times.

Diablo II was perfect for me. I consider it a piece of art. The music, sound design, graphics(artwork), cinematics, chars, gameplay, randomized itemization that kept you playing online just to get that specific topquality unique that never ever drops, 3 modes of difficulty for the same character wich made the game 3 times longer, and the last step "Hell" so rewardingly hard, it was infact a real challenge. "Action with consequences", no faggot ability to respec, if you regret points spent into some skills or attributes, there was nothing to do about it but to start over, it made sense in this game to use your brain and think and plan before you act. Multiplayer with battle.net providing servers that in theory could eliminate all cheating if they wanted to work on it. I miss the days when i first got the game and discovered things for the first time :)

Honestly if D2 had better graphics and it was supported by blizzard like WoW is, it would still be the perfect action-RPG and I would play it all the time.

You should DEFINITELY check out the Mythos beta!

WWW.MYTHOS.COM

Also, there's a thread in the pc gaming section about it that helped me get an invite....

Personally I think the best RPG is POKEMON RED/BLUE. It was so freaking epic, dont tell me you guys didnt all sh*t yourself when you first played it.

In no particular order: Chrono Trigger, Baldur's Gate series, Deus Ex come to mind.

xbox360266500dr9.jpg

Best RPG?

Easy. Ultima VII (both parts 1 & 2. I personally prefer Black Gate although most people I know who've played them prefer Serpent's Isle). Awesome graphics for the time, excellent soundtrack and story. Also, it's the only RPG I can think of where you can spend hundreds of hours if you want to complete all the side quests as well as do whatever you want (and that means from baking bread, farming, joining the oldest profession in the world, etc), or beat the game in 20 minutes if you really wanted too.

Best story in an RPG? While Planescape Torment had a decent story, I'd have to give best story to Betrayal at Krondor.

Best console RPG? Probably would have to give this to Chrono Trigger.

Ultima V (Only played IV and V, I've heard VII was good too)
Daggerfall
Baldur's Gate 1+2
Planescape
Wasteland
Fallout
Ultima Underworld 1+2

I've been playing FF7 recently and I realized it really is a mediocre game.

I'm curious as to how many people that really like the game and start pulling themselves blind over Aeris nude pictures every played an RPG before 1997. And because of the success, now every RPG hero is a sullen hermaphrodite that has a sword in one hand and a bottle of product in the other.

Wild Arm Series. Can't remember which one I played on the Sega G. but I remember how stuck to the TV I was while playing.

I'm actually trying to get into old RPGs that these old heads like so much because for some reason all these new games aren't doing it for me =(

Another vote for Planescape:Torment. Simply the best story of any game I've played in the last 20 years.

A word of warning, though, and one things that has put friends of mine off: There is a lot of reading. Basically PS:T is a novel you can play. So while the story is incredible and the gameplay is good old classic turn-based combat, be prepared for walls of text. Personally I love a well-written, deep story, but I know others that have hated it for this reason alone.

in order i'd have to say FF7, the Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, and finally FF8 (i really enjoyed the card game :p)

One more vote for Planescape: Torment.

Baldur's Gate 2 is a close second.

My third is Chrono Trigger.

For me, I had the most sheer fun with Icewind Dale. It was just so epic and the combat was so fun. It was so tactical. I loved the environments and the enemies. Just great all around.

Fallout 1&2 are definitely my other favorites though. I played them both back when they first came out and I will always have fond memories of them.

Back