Best Reviewed A-MVA Monitor Thread: Read the 1st Post

So here is my short photo comparison between gw2470h and lg 29um58-p

1. Response time is much better on lg than gw2470h.
RESP___.png

2. Coating is better on lg
REFL.jpg

3. Lg glow is bad with no light, gw2470h is an obvious winner here
GLOW.jpg

Overall lg is 7/10 monitor.
Pluses
- nice viewing angles
- good anti-glare coating
- decent response time
- good contrast
- reduced eye strain compared to old monitor
- nice colours after installing lg driver with 99% sRGB ( 72% NTSC )

Comparison between standard and lg driver with icc profile
withicc.jpg

Minuses
- price
- silvering and glow at night in dark scenes
- some banding in greyscale
banding.jpg

- problems displaying some greys namely 253, 254
greyscale.jpg

Last edited:
So here is my short photo comparison between gw2470h and lg 29um58-p

1. Response time is much better on lg than gw2470h.

Thanks for review. You like the ultra wide? Too wide of me; how's 29' at 1080p? I mean, it's still technically FHD despite being wider. I am sure the latency/response is much better. My HP 25xw IPS is gorgeous just, color issues the yellowish/greenish tint to flesh tones and grayscale is too much for me. Technicolor mode actually fixes much of it, but it's restrictive mode. So as I said I'll be venturing into VA again to try.

I did some research on AUO panels on the GW2470h vs. VZ2470h and it's not just a mere cosmetic makeover. M238HVN01.1 Datasheet download - Panelook.com

I also contacted to confirm for the heck of it since Tom's review doesn't show the actual panel model but it IS this. VZ2470h IS a newer panel than the GW2470h. M238HVN01.0 for GW vs. M238HVN01.1 for VZ. Now, this may actually mean little in practice; one main difference is 1.1 is borderless and 1.0 is bordered, 1.1 newer. Also the 1.1 says high color gamut that 1.0 does not. This is also true of the EW750ZL's panel; M27HVN02.3 - borderless, high color gamut (does NOT mean wide, 100% sRGB coverage can technically be called "high"). Reviews/tests show 99-100%+ in sRGB and 75% NTSC potential from pcmonitors and prad's reviws for 27''. The only review for the VZ is a great one, Tom's review has as 99%-100% sRGB coverage once calibrated - the GW was low/mid 90s, I got 95%ish which is high apparently I guess for it. Also, both have the new black level option and a weird gamma 0 setting. So seems the VZ's panel is a lot more in line with the EW27s.

That gives me hope other stuff's been improved over the GW2470h. Likely, nothing noticeable in terms of latency/AMS. That'd also go to BenQ to toy with AMS improvements. Based on Tom's review numbers don't look great, though I have no numbers for GW, my guess is if GW was problematic for you, the VZ probably will be too. But, for me personally, the color improvements and hope of further uniformity/less shift and better center on viewing gets me more than any latency/blur improvement. Tom's review is very decent-really good tho he does not mention black crush I know IS there, it's a VA thang, it's just how noticeable/severe which the GW was flippin' bad. The

Anyways, despite the off putting all white look of the VZ given my current HP 25xw is all white too; whatever, I'll try it. Then again I may try the EW2750ZL, I've liked the extra inch of the 25 :) Anyways, the VZ is more than a cosmetic difference over the GW2470h, so that's good to learn, and other than color improvements and extra OSD options, esp given the look (all white not for everyone) and higher price for it there better be some improvements :) Whether better for gamers, I doubt that, I'd guess it's very similar to the GW.

Last edited:
To be honest ultrawide is ok but it could be a little bigger, 31,5 inch monitor with this resolution would be perfect. I like uw when it comes to graphic/video editing programs. In this field it's really good. 29 inch uw is 22,5 inch with 16:9 content as I measured. Black bars may be annoying for some but not for me. Ultrawide gives you a little bit more advantage in some games like fps'es but in rts'es it may be little confusing. The biggest issue for me is silvering at night because I watch many horrors, in this matter I miss gw2470h which was good at night. It's a 280 dollar panel with 6bit + FRC, 5ms response time, 99% sRGB and 60-75Hz refresh rate. I really hope that in a few years I will be able to buy for the same price 8bit panel with 120Hz refresh rate, adobeRGB and 2ms reponse time. If I had to choose again I would still take this lg due to increased productivity in image editing programs and code editors and excellent anti-glare coating.

When it comes to benq monitors there is also this interesting recently popped out monitor BenQ EW2440ZH Eye-care Monitor

Last edited:
Got my BENQ EW2750zl a couple days ago. The display produces good colors and requires only slight tweaks to get very close to sRGB range but unfortunately the slow responsiveness in dark areas really ruined it for me. In dark scenes there are a lot of dark smearing/trailing which makes the dark area really annoying to look at when in motion.

Found a video which shows what it looks like:

It is performing even worse than my oldest working display with 16ms GTG responsive time. I bought into VA panel for the deep black level but the panel just cannot perform at this very area it is a big minus point for me.

Oh well... It is on it's way back to the seller :( Shame, really. I like the black level and colors it produces on static images. As soon as the dark image moves every so slightly... this happens.

I've been reading around and it seems that this is very common with VA panels. Does IPS panels have the same responsiveness issue? I guess that I can can live with it a little bit of the infamous IPS glow.

Last edited:
Got my BENQ EW2750zl a couple days ago. The display produces good colors and requires slight only tweaks to get very close to sRGB range but unfortunately the slow responsiveness in dark areas really ruined it for me. In dark scenes there are a lot of dark smearing/trailing which makes the dark area really annoying to look at when in motion looks like this:

It is performing even worse than my oldest working display with 16ms GTG responsive time. I bought into VA panel for the deep black level but the panel just cannot perform at this very area it is a big minus point for me.

Oh well... It is on it's way back to the seller :( Shame, really. I like the black level and colors it produces on static images. As soon as the dark image moves every so slightly... this happens.

I've been reading around and it seems that this is very common with VA panels. Does IPS panels have the same responsiveness issue? I guess that I can can live with it a little bit of the infamous IPS glow.

I had gw2470h which had the same issue as yours. It seems that samsung s24e510c and it's brothers are much better in this matter.

Got my BENQ EW2750zl a couple days ago. The display produces good colors and requires only slight tweaks to get very close to sRGB range but unfortunately the slow responsiveness in dark areas really ruined it for me. In dark scenes there are a lot of dark smearing/trailing which makes the dark area really annoying to look at when in motion.

Found a video which shows what it looks like:

Monitor I may try. If I can ask, how was color shifting and center black crush? (darkening of gray/dark shades when viewing center, move head gets lighter). This is where it's down to personal. This is where you find many of us shuffling panels VA to IPS and or vice versa. It's come clear to me the dark bluring in dark scenes doesn't bother me like many others. But the black crush center on does, a lot - when that doesn't for others, or some subtle color tint or lower accuracy with colors won't either but I can't get over that even if it's like my current HP 25xw IPS - no matter what I do there's a slight yellow tint to skin that's very subtle but it's not natural I can't deal with that. Most ppl won't notice. And then IPS glow yeah, I won't lie that's bothering more then VA blur ever did. But others can stand the glow but not dark blurring.

BLUR/TRAILING - Assume AMS High? BenQ just slacks with their AMS. Premium actually fixes a lot of that dark blur but inverse ghostings, aka overshoots. Some VAs perform better with response or blur; not all are 1440p+ or uber expensive either, but it's never completely gone in VA at these ranges, but some have proven you can nearly get rid of any dark blur/trails without inverse ghosting. s24e510c or newer 650 as said performs probably the best with response times/dark transitions (liyama seems mixed). Now, part of it is also panel lottery in the same way glow or colors may be closer in line. However, that samsung > in color accuracy then say the EW2750ZL. Always a flip huh. You really like you see us try many honestly if able to compare side by side if can afford to, should.

When it comes to benq monitors there is also this interesting recently popped out monitor BenQ EW2440ZH Eye-care Monitor

Ah, yeah. Sadly can't get that in NA. It basically is maybe a newer 2440l, it's not new new, released last year. not sure why never in states or if it's even currently active. The newest/latest panel for 24'' is VZ I mentioned. For BenQ. This is the one I want, but prob who knows when it'll be released or price. GC2870H - Home and office - Monitors | BenQ Global

Last edited:
Monitor I may try. If I can ask, how was color shifting and center black crush? (darkening of gray/dark shades when viewing center, move head gets lighter). This is where it's down to personal. This is where you find many of us shuffling panels VA to IPS and or vice versa. It's come clear to me the dark bluring in dark scenes doesn't bother me like many others. But the black crush center on does, a lot - when that doesn't for others, or some subtle color tint or lower accuracy with colors won't either but I can't get over that even if it's like my current HP 25xw IPS - no matter what I do there's a slight yellow tint to skin that's very subtle but it's not natural I can't deal with that. Most ppl won't notice. And then IPS glow yeah, I won't lie that's bothering more then VA blur ever did. But others can stand the glow but not dark blurring.

Some VAs perform better with response or blur; not all are 1440p+ or uber expensive either, but it's never completely gone in VA at these ranges. s24e510c or newer 650 as said performs probably the best with response times/dark transitions (liyama seems mixed). Now, part of it is also panel lottery in the same way glow or colors may be closer in line. However, that samsung > in color accuracy then say the EW2750ZL. Always a flip huh. You really like you see us try many honestly if able to compare side by side if can afford to, should.

Ah, yeah. Sadly can't get that in NA. It basically is maybe a newer 2440l, it's not new new, released last year. not sure why never in states or if it's even currently active. The newest/latest panel for 24'' is VZ I mentioned. For BenQ. This is the one I want, but prob who knows when it'll be released or price. GC2870H - Home and office - Monitors | BenQ Global
Like you said, it has a lot to do with personal preferences. While I did notice some black crush and gamma shift from center outward, they didn't really bother me as much as this blurring/dark trailing problem.

Currently, I am looking into a 1440p IPS screens but quite disappointing to see not many of them fall within' my budget (400~500 EUR). The ones within' budget have quite bad latency of 25ms and above while GTG are all around 5-8ms. Will I get the same problems (blur/smear/dark trailing in dark areas) with these IPS panels aswell or is it a lot more prominent in VA panels?

Gigarez, no you won't have these problems with an IPS display and 5-8ms response time is perfectly fine and normal for these type of panels. I think for 400-500€ you should be able to get a proper 1440p IPS monitor.

On the Benq GC: It seems to be available here Europe for about 220 bucks, but it says 20ms, 5ms GtG repsonse time in the data sheet, while the other Benq VAs are like 12ms, 4ms GtG, which somewhat puts me off to test it myself.

I might be interested in the new EW series if they have the same semi gloss coating as the previous models

BenQ EW2775ZH

BenQ EW2775ZH Eye-care monitor

Like you said, it has a lot to do with personal preferences. While I did notice some black crush and gamma shift from center outward, they didn't really bother me as much as this blurring/dark trailing problem.

Currently, I am looking into a 1440p IPS screens but quite disappointing to see not many of them fall within' my budget (400~500 EUR). The ones within' budget have quite bad latency of 25ms and above while GTG are all around 5-8ms. Will I get the same problems (blur/smear/dark trailing in dark areas) with these IPS panels aswell or is it a lot more prominent in VA panels?

Cool; All VAs will have a degree of crush and gamma shift. Just part of the deal, just how much can matter same with IPS glow, some are less then others, but will all have a glow.

There won't be the trailing or overshoot like VA; but that does not mean you won't notice potential latency issues or response times. I mean, VA CAN get it to those IPS levels it just has the issues you mentioned except other VAs like Samungs do better with that. Many 120-144hz gamers wont go IPS despite the superior viewing angles/colors/etc. It's not like ghosting/blur disappears, it just isn't like VA esp dark scenes. Being 60hz that alone is limiting though one good thing with the BenQs it overclocks like a master 75 easy.

Also, remember 1440p make sure your graphics card can handle that. Also not sure what IPS you're looking at, there's 1440p ones under 500 with 1080p IPS latency.

Gigarez, no you won't have these problems with an IPS display and 5-8ms response time is perfectly fine and normal for these type of panels. I think for 400-500€ you should be able to get a proper 1440p IPS monitor.

On the Benq GC: It seems to be available here Europe for about 220 bucks, but it says 20ms, 5ms GtG repsonse time in the data sheet, while the other Benq VAs are like 12ms, 4ms GtG, which somewhat puts me off to test it myself.

I might be interested in the new EW series if they have the same semi gloss coating as the previous models

BenQ EW2775ZH

BenQ EW2775ZH Eye-care monitor

Honestly you have to roll eyes at any gtg mentioned with VA and even IPS; it doesn't say the whole picture as seen with VAs, dark scene trailing/blurring etc. BUT again I am about color accuracy/contrast/less crush more than latency issues. So GC looks nice using GB-LED over W-LED is awesome. So Europe yeah.

EW2775h - nice! Never saw this one. Clearly a lot of these are gonna be widely released probably mid summer-fall 2016. I can't wait that long :p All BenQ VAs use semi-glossy matte, I would think it would remain for future ones.

Not sure this "B.I tech sounds ultra gimmicky." Image enhancment non-MHL again. My HP 25xw enhance mode and when I had Asus vivid pixel; horrible stuff. But clearly there's ppl who like that ultra sharp unnaturally sharp look.

I'm interested in the nuts and bolts. True color accuracy, how is color shift/black crushing center on, and of course latency/response and AMS improvements for trailing/blurring. Sadly same old 2 HDMI connections. HOnestly, come on Displayport can easily be added...

ANYWAYS - thanks! Clearly other than the gimmicky stuff potential new panel models may mean improvements in stuff that matters.

the more i research, the more headache.
need sir help, appreciate it.

dilemma
EW2750ZL
I2769vm
27CW HP

dilemma
EW2750ZL
I2769vm
27CW HP

The 27CW (HP 270C, I'm assuming, because there is no CW, and the XW is IPS, not VA) uses a Samsung PVA panel which, for that product generation anyway had more observable ghosting than the EW2750ZL. This was observed in hands on tests by NCX, myself, and many others. Samsung's newest products have, by most observations in this thread, better overdrive characteristics than the BenQ. However, the BenQ is $200 or less. The newer Samsung monitors cost a bit more, so your budget will come into play.

Last edited:
The 27CW (HP 270C, I'm assuming, because there is no CW, and the XW is IPS, not VA) uses a Samsung PVA panel which, for that product generation anyway had more observable ghosting than the EW2750ZL. This was observed in hands on tests by NCX, myself, and many others. Samsung's newest products have, by most observations in this thread, better overdrive characteristics than the BenQ. However, the BenQ is $200 or less. The newer Samsung monitors cost a bit more, so your budget will come into play.

Thanks for fast responsed. Really appreciate it.

I mean between 27XW & EW2750ZL. This week to purchase new baby

I think the Samsung S27F350 is pretty interesting as well. It is brand-new, isn't it? Maybe they use better revision of their PLS panel with 4ms GtG response time.

I am pretty sure the HP 27CW is an IPS panel? At least in Eurrope it should be, personally I would buy HP and Benq or an Iiyama 27" VA and compare both at home.

Off-topic. I just bought an Acer G227HQL Bi, because it was pretty cheap (70 bucks). I've never heard of it before, It seems to be the successor of the H226HQL which I initially thought I was buying. There is also a G236HL and G277HL. Well it is glossy IPS screen, I don't know which panel it uses, but out of the box, it has the similar green hue on greys and fleshtones like the AH-IPS I tried. I managed to reduce it by turning down green color pretty heavily. Lagom Gamma test is pretty perfect though and better than my Samsung VA. Other than that it is decent screen, Seems to have no PWM dimming at all based on blur trail test. Subjectively Input lag seems to be a little bit lower than on my Samsung.. Looking straight on the monitor IPS glow is luckily rather mild and better than the other IPS screens I have tried recently, but I am pretty sure I just had bad luck there so far. I will keep this for now or might even look for the 23 inch version until I find something better.

I am pretty sure the HP 27CW is an IPS panel? At least in Eurrope it should be, personally I would buy HP and Benq or an Iiyama 27" VA and compare both at home.

It is. I stated the HP S270 because I mistakenly thought that's what he meant, since that was a comparison on the first post.

dilemma
EW2750ZL
I2769vm
27CW HP

Gotta dip in and try one. Sucks to play the refund/return game but from a good place like Amazon easy breezy. I've gone through 5 monitors now, trying another as speak. I will try the EW2750ZL in fact. Probably.

I got the VZ2470h today, will do a mini-review later. So far, quick impressions, a definite improvement over the GW2470h (with less center on black crush due to new options and far better black scale, color accuracy, gamma presets); MAYBE slightly with ghosting/blur/response but I barely did enough to say so take that with a grain of salt. Even if it is, it'll only be slight from my initial impressions, premium still overshoots, still blur outside of premium but again I'm the guy that isn't bothered by blur like other ones. More later I can compare with HP 25xw, the greenish tint (for grays) and slight yellowing of skin tones is obvious when compare to VZ2470h that is natural (under right presets/mode). More later, with photos. I said I try EW2750ZL too because I gotta admit the 1 inch difference is noticeable to me 25 vs 24 lol it seems huge comparing so, I have enough wallet space to test 3 monitors before needing to return for a refund ugh, man I have OCD monitor issues....... :p More laters

Gotta dip in and try one. Sucks to play the refund/return game but from a good place like Amazon easy breezy. I've gone through 5 monitors now, trying another as speak. I will try the EW2750ZL in fact. Probably.

I got the VZ2470h today, will do a mini-review later. So far, quick impressions, a definite improvement over the GW2470h (with less center on black crush due to new options and far better black scale, color accuracy, gamma presets); MAYBE slightly with ghosting/blur/response but I barely did enough to say so take that with a grain of salt. Even if it is, it'll only be slight from my initial impressions, premium still overshoots, still blur outside of premium but again I'm the guy that isn't bothered by blur like other ones. More later I can compare with HP 25xw, the greenish tint (for grays) and slight yellowing of skin tones is obvious when compare to VZ2470h that is natural (under right presets/mode). More later, with photos. I said I try EW2750ZL too because I gotta admit the 1 inch difference is noticeable to me 25 vs 24 lol it seems huge comparing so, I have enough wallet space to test 3 monitors before needing to return for a refund ugh, man I have OCD monitor issues....... :p More laters

I was switching from a (Samsung 2693HM) 25.5" 16:10 to 27" 16:9 (BenQ EW2750ZL). Didn't notice a whole lot of different in size but text definitely look lightly more pixelated. My old monitor did a good job hiding it because the TN panel wasn't sharp enough xD. Movie is amazing, though.

I was switching from a (Samsung 2693HM) 25.5" 16:10 to 27" 16:9 (BenQ EW2750ZL). Didn't notice a whole lot of different in size but text definitely look lightly more pixelated. My old monitor did a good job hiding it because the TN panel wasn't sharp enough xD. Movie is amazing, though.

That's the 16:10 at 25, due to the extra height, it has a larger feel. Yeah that's my worry at 27' at FHD but, can also be sharpness settings too high. At 24' I can notice text pixelation if am too close. I did order it so I can see, though I still will post a mini VZ review later.

PRELIMINARY VZ2470h review sorta (not hardware calibrated tested, Tom’s Review That Is Here)

My BenQ VZ2470h arrived yesterday. Yes, the all white super-modern chic thing. Dec 2015 made, apparently the first batch of these VZs. (confirmed M238HVN01.1) I wasted time making the mistake of installing the software I usually don't - the provided ICC is horrible it made me think I had a bad panel it was way off hue, made blue look purple. I was bummed. Luckily I figured that out when switching to HP 25xw that issue continued, as it overrode the HP's ICC settings. So, DO NOT USE VZ SOFTWARE ICC idk what's up with it but it is bad. If interest I'll post videos or something.
Here's a very non-technical/preliminary/wonky photo'd as you'll see review on my first 2 days with it):

The Force Is Strong With This One (and it's summer so white is back?):

2621742.jpg

- Yes I still play that game :p The VZ's stand came attached, and was the most solid stand out of the 5 monitors I've tried in the last 2 months. Ironic when see photo it looks like cheapest/and unbalanced but it's THE most balanced . It only tilts like every monitor under 300, but it doesn't feel like it's going to break off like my HP 25xw when I do. Very well built. NO VESA mounting. It uses external power supply like the HP 25xw and EW2750ZL, idk why, I hate using a brick to power it, it's a monitor not a laptop. However this is a MUCH longer cord than the HPs.

2621737.jpg

- The bezel is edge to edge and it's my third thin bezel and usually marketing photos show it way closer than it actually is but this screen is THE CLOSEST to the edge than any I tried. It measures around 11mm including white shell (according to Tomshardware review, and confirmed). So no monitor is literal edge to edge but this is one of the closest!

2621749.jpg

- The screen is semi-glossy (still matte) like all BenQ screens, not heavy on AG and I could tell it had a bit more clarity than the GW2470h - there’s no graininess and NO dead/stuck pixels like my GW)! Though I'm spoiled now with glossy HP25 xw :)

2621745.jpg

VA GLOW:

Below is a pic of full screen black video. I thought it was OFF. Night time but it’s messed because of my comps red LED fan I had cover stupidly off and front LED fans also reflect light onto panel so on right side it seems like possible “glow” but it's light reflection. GW had a lot more VA glow and that was good. A video shows a lot better how NO light bleed and barely a hint of VA glow there is, easily the best I've seen (or not seen :)

2621743.jpg

- Quick Impressions Vs. GW2470h and HP 25xw –

Black Scale/Crush:

I already notice improvement over the GW2470h in a few ways. The VZ has a black scale option the GW did not, that helps center on black crush. Default scale is 16 (and all photos are default) though higher above default 16 will start crushing whites but higher helps with black crush a lot and thus I can easily say that's improved - gamma 2.2ish unlike with the GW all shades show even just barely block 1 a bit crushed center on but it's there, so that doesn't mean black crush is gone, just less.

Black Scale Lagom Default Black Scale 16 (daylight from window interferes and camera made a bit brighter than actual, 1 is a bit darker but can still just make out)

2621822.jpg

White Scale Default 16 (the photo is not accurate to what you actually SEE, 254 albeit very faded DOES show on the screen not photo where it is crushed, lower Black Scale setting more and it shows easily, not as well as my HP though):

2621747.jpg

Color/Gray Scale sRGB Gamma 3 (photo not best, again daytime so blackscale on photo crushes more than actual, 96% shows little, crushed center on and 98% however is totally crushed. But you'll see no color banding, except some blue transition which can be fixed with proper calibration):

2621744.jpg

- Gamma/Color

Gamma seemed more accurate off presets too - I only went off lagom for now, but Gamma 3 setting was close to 2.2, a nudge between 2.2/2.3 but lagom is just an eyeball test (pic just doesn’t show it properly so no pic).

Color wise, on user/standard mode - normal temp (is a tad towards green/yellow) and sRGB mode is the most balanced preset (although not 100%) but no huge flesh bias/tinting like the HP 25xw IPS that has a subtle green tint when calibrated/not so subtle yellowing of skin tones you will see it's like a jaundice epidemic and even on the HP 25xw technicolor mode, which greatly reduces tint on flesh more so than even the RGB calibration I did, but not completely as there's a little more yellow than should be there. Such a shame this AH-IPS has that it literally is the reason I am trying this monitor out. Although no hardware calibration atm with my heavy experience in lighting for videos/editing just by eyeball I can easily see it. Photos below may slightly heighten the yellowing/green a tad but you get jist.

(Following BENQ VZ2470h and HP 25xw picture's from Collider Movie Talk, having worked on it, I can say the lighting has some tungsten aka some yellow but not where you look like you're gonna hulk out)

BenQ Standard/Normal Color Temp:
2621738.jpg

HP Custom/Native Color Temp (trust me calibrated RGB isn't much better, essentially like technicolor further down):
2621739.jpg

BenQ sRGB preset:
2621740.jpg

HP Technicolors (essentially sRGB preset, and closest maybe better to my calibrated RGB BECAUSE user mode changes gamma curve and has a green tint you can't take away, Technicolor has it's own special gamma/black scale other settings):
2621741.jpg

- Gamma Shift(color) - black crush may be less but gamma shift seems to be a bit more horizontally - than I remember the GW being. If it is, it's not much. Also off lagom viewing angle test, the red screen appeared a solid red for the most part with just a slight weakening towards the side. Viewing center on. Uniformirty is good, but again, eyeballing, you can use Tom's review for actual hardware testing.

Ghosting/Blur - I didn't do enough to really get a sense; and the ghost car test photo was too poor to post need to screen capture it - premium AMS like the GW reduced blur in dark backgrounds/settings, in fact maybe more so than the GW, but still overshoots, not heavily, I need to play more, but it's enough to not use it; so HIGH it is - even if the VZ is a slight improvement, it'll only be that, very slight and again I'm the guy that the blur doesn't bother me nearly as much as does others.

A few things that have me spoiled from the 25xw though, the glossy screen and size. Despite BenQs "semi-glossy" still matte screen prob one of the best matte/AG coated ones, low haze glossy just makes things pop that much more and things more clear. Even though it's an inch smaller side by side it seems like a huge amount it made me get the EW2750ZL coming soon - ughhhh my wallet can just fit it in before I have to get refunds lol. But I have to see it to move on and choose a monitor lol.

(NOTE: I do not have access to a hardware calibrator right now like I did with GW2470h, hopefully if I get the EW2750ZL I can borrow my friends, for more accurate testing).

Last edited:
Reactions: igluk
like this
I got the EW2750ZL the other day; 3 monitors I can compare side by side and no hardware calibrator yet mehhhh. Anyways; regardless not really needed initially.

No pics/vids yet will be a while so wanted to post an intial impressions. With the EW2750ZL I got is a revised edition (which prob means nothing other than it's newly made March 2016.) Things I notice:

1.) The viewing angles/gamma/color shift is the least I've had on any VA and I've tried quite a few as you've seen; for 27'' I was impressed. Yes move head to side, there's shift BUT it isn't bad first, 2nd it doesn't get worse, unless highly extreme angle. Closest to IPS view angles/shift I've seen - even extreme angle like when stand up directly in front of monitor and look down, my HP 25xw shifts. But at all realistic angles like stand up across room, etc. it fades a little but that's also partly from the center on crushing/darkening when sit center on. As for full view aka - color uniformity - purple will get pinkish on sides, only the very ends but you will notice. Green got barely a little lighter. Red nearly no notice in fade but a small amount extreme sides of screen. Blue was no perceptual difference. For 27'' you'd expect more on a VA than a smaller size. Nothing where you'd notice in most situations.

2.) Blur/latency - font movement tests like scroll a blue or gray font on black background, or black on white/gray/dark etc. On the VZ on AMS High, it blur/dark crushes like mad. Again it doesn't bother me personally. On EW tho, it looked like my IPS when scroll, which was a shock. Now, that's one basic test for VAs as it normally crushes ghosts/blurs the fonts black/etc. when scroll. Doesn't mean is no crush/blur on dark transitions.

3.) Black crush is definitely there; crushing of darker shades and darker colors when viewed center on. It's the same as the VZ, barely more if it is, and the VZ was less than any other VA I tried, but then the gamma settings for the EW are weird. Gamma presets are way weird, the VZ was much better calibrated with gamma - gamma 3 was 2.2 spot on pretty much (which gamma 3 on BenQ is supposed to be 2.2); gamma 3 on EW is like 2.5 or more, have to use 1 for close to 2.2. And contrast does not effect color temp, oddly adjust the Saturation does; weirdest thing, it doesn't at all on VZ. It literally is acting like a color temp preset. Dont need to touch that though. Color accuracy - with no calibrator to confirm, but I can tell as other reviews/tests have show 100% and a bit more sRGB. Okay I can't visually tell the difference between a few % lol but I'll just trust it is.

I'll be posting photos vids later not for a while though thought I'd just post initial impressions, I will say also at 27'' for FHD it's very clear and at sharpness 5 (perfectly calibrated to lagom's test) text looks better than the VZ or HP 25xw! No pixelation. Granted get very close you'll start to see but with 27'' you shouldn't be that close. Anyways, lots of decisions, I need to run more tests and I haven't ruled out keeping the HP 25xw, despite the green tint, technicolor mode IS close to accurate, rids most the tint and man that glossy screen is my thing. Maybe I'll try the 27xw... rofld wnjdnkd hehe. But no, I am impressed by the EW2750ZL so far and again, minimal game tested.

I remember from the pcmonitors review of the EW2750ZL that there was no gamma mode which resulted in gamma 2.2, the closest was either 2.1 or 2.3. Gaming blur test would be much appreciated. Also how do the coatings of the Benqs compare?

I remember from the pcmonitors review of the EW2750ZL that there was no gamma mode which resulted in gamma 2.2, the closest was either 2.1 or 2.3. Gaming blur test would be much appreciated. Also how do the coatings of the Benqs compare?

I can say the matte coating on this screen is quite thin. Almost to the point of being semi-glossy. It does an alright job of blocking reflection, though.

I decided to cancel my return and keep my EW2750ZL. Figured out it is probably the best screen there is at this price range and the little problem with dark scene responsiveness can be forgiven because it is almost flawless in picture quality.

Btw, I don't have a professional calibrating tool but got the colors quite damn near perfect with a good camera and color dropper in Photoshop. After a couple of days of tinkering with various minor settings here the result I am perfectly happy with:
Gamma - 2 (or one less if you feel its too bright)
Color temperature: R:100, G:99, B:92
AMA: High

I can say the matte coating on this screen is quite thin. Almost to the point of being semi-glossy. It does an alright job of blocking reflection, though.

I decided to cancel my return and keep my EW2750ZL. Figured out it is probably the best screen there is at this price range and the little problem with dark scene responsiveness can be forgiven because it is almost flawless in picture quality.

Btw, I don't have a professional calibrating tool but got the colors quite damn near perfect with a good camera and color dropper in Photoshop. After a couple of days of tinkering with various minor settings here the result I am perfectly happy with:

Can you post pictures of PixPerAn on this monitor of yours.

This display (the EW2750ZL) has been the best budget monitor I've ever owned. I've been holding off on an LG 4K IPS FreeSync purchase (sale ends today) because I'm worried I'll blow $400 on a monitor that I like less than the BenQ.

This display (the EW2750ZL) has been the best budget monitor I've ever owned. I've been holding off on an LG 4K IPS FreeSync purchase (sale ends today) because I'm worried I'll blow $400 on a monitor that I like less than the BenQ.
Yeah. Plus mine can be overclocked to 75hz without any problem. It's making it really hard for me to find a worthy 1440p upgrade -.- Anybody know anything about the newer Samsung VA panels on their bigger 32" 1440p displays?

I'll try to get that up soon; pcmonitors review is a good one, pretty accurate from my panel. As Gig said and I did in my VZ mini-review it's the same exact coating as the EW2750ZL; essentially near semi-gloss. However with an HP 25xw low haze glossy to compare you'll see the differences it's definitely matte BUT the color accuracy/options/etc. > HP 25xw and there is definitely NO graininess or loss of clarity at all; despite my love for a glossy screen this is probably the lightest AG coating you can get on a matte screen, without it going glossy, so it's a good balance I suppose.

Also with gamma as PCmonitors says calibrations do not factor angles, as gamma shifts when move head or chair. Like Gamma 2 not viewing center on was getting close to 2.2, but Gamma 1 was closest viewing from center. So I calibrated (non-hardware) for front view using gamma 1 with some software LUT adjustments. Can simply use nvidia or AMD's driver tool this monitor really does not need an ICC.
R: 100 G: 100 B: 94 - without a calibrator myself I've used the same method, photoshop and 6500k and 5000k images. I actually moved blue up a few from 94 for personal preference.

It was the easiest adjusting I've had to do on a monitor without a calibrator. Honestly with the HP 25xw IPS and VZ2470h I only got the EW2750ZL because I had to see for myself I didn't actually expect to have that be the favorite due to size/etc. but yeah, it's nearly won me over. I'll run some latency/blur tests haven't had time, I did play a quick dark scenes in ESO and yeah there is the slight crush and blur but it was not as bad as video you posted. I noticed as I posted above with other web browsing issues VA has with blur/crushing fonts in dark/black backgrounds or etc. was least I've ever seen in a VA. Still this stuff doesn't bother me like others as I must say as I know for others it will.

Also it easily overclosked to 75hz. It can go higher too comfortably but I'd keep it at 75 more head room stability.

Can you post pictures of PixPerAn on this monitor of yours.

I've been meaning to I'll do so myself by tomorrow.

Last edited:
pcmonitors will review the C27F591FD soon.
It's the newest 1080p SVA, the one with 119% sRGB, and FreeSync

Samsung C27F591FD highly curved VA model - PC Monitors

Basically similar to what BenQ is releasing, think it already is available in Asia, whether it hits NA or not sure, the GC2870h BenQ GC2870H wide gamut VA - PC Monitors
85% NTSC, GBLED blacklight. With the Samsung, their last Quantum-Dot panel was - problematic someone posted about it here; curious to see I'm all for hopefully budget friendly wider gammut non W-LED 1080p stuff but if the price is high enough have to then consider going 1440p, unless the LED is still superior in these.

pcmonitors will review the C27F591FD soon.
It's the newest 1080p SVA, the one with 119% sRGB, and FreeSync

Samsung C27F591FD highly curved VA model - PC Monitors
Looks interesting. It looks like Samsung is going more and more into the smaller curve radius for the PC monitor market. I really hope they manage to boost the pixel responsiveness for this new SVA panel. It would be the perfect choice for me then.

I really hope they manage to boost the pixel responsiveness for this new SVA panel.

I doubt it, one member here already demonstrated the black area blur on this model. Altough on the highest overdrive setting it looked fairly decent, I wonder how much overshoot ghosting it will produce, but otherwise it sounds interesting and I am looking forward to that review.

Redlemur I've also been very annoyed and frustrated with the 25XW because of the yellow tint my unit has. It's extremely noticeable compared side by side with my Samsung D390HL. The tint not only affects skin tones but also the whole grayscale on my unit. On lagoms white saturation test all of the inner checkerboard patterns are yellow instead of gray. Same with youtubes background. I tried fixing it with the rgb scales but I had the same issues as you. This did more harm than good resulting in either a different color tint or a very inaccurate color temp with sickly looking skin tones. The issues with the contrast adjustment really threw me off. I have never had a monitor that changes color temp and rgb bias by changing the contrast. This monitor is ridiculous. I've decided to send this back to amazon and exchange this for another one to see if it's just a faulty panel that I received or if it's an inherent problem with the panel itself.

Very sad to say considering everything else is absolutely fantastic. If it's not just a faulty panel that I received and it is a problem with the panel than I really hope HP fixes it and releases a new line up this year without the issues. If this monitor didn't have the tint issues and the skin tones looked more accurate......holy shit.

A quick hello, don't wanna hijack this thread or go off-topic, but I wanted to let you know that I have fixed my attention on Samsung S24E370DL and Samsung S24D590PL so far and made a thread about it here.

In case anyone is interested in going the same way or may find it useful if VA doesn't seem to be the panel for them.

I still am cautious about IPS/PLS Glow, tho the panels I've thrown a quick look in the mall I coulsdn't find anything that may even remotely bother me. Of course due to the lightning and other factors I am sure this is 1000 times less noticeable compared to a dark room f.e. But overall with LCD displays you gotta pick some trade offs. They aren't perfect. And I maybe backlight bleed would bother me more tbh.

Either way I think I'll be better overall than with VA.
What really bothered me with the VA tech was the central black, where dark details fade and you have to move sideways to be able to see more details. I knew this was inherited of VA panel technology, but honestly it really annoyed me more than I thought I would. Another thing is the more noticeable (even compared to 10 year old TN) "reflective stripe" effect that was visible on dark colors. This forum in particular was a perfect example of a worse case scenario. And unlike the other shortcomings I haven't had read this in any review or article that I've cover. Very funny why no one has ever mentioned it. It wasn't as bad as the central black fade, but it still itched me now and then. Actually this was 1 of the reasons why I wanted to move to something else than a TN, but compared to my VA it's a barely notice.

My biggest bum (specifically with the Iiyama) was with the blue radiation that this particular monitor produced. Now I know that all LED are bluish to some point, but honestly I've never seen anything like this. After just an hour of use I felt as if I sat more than 10 hrs straight doing lots of straining work. I've started paying a special attention to color temp and am looking at anything that can go in the range between 6500k - 6000k.

6500k should be neutral white, however with blue LED backlights it rather comes as something rather higher kelvin number in reality. So rather 6300k, maybe 5800k in some cases is what actually look more like neutral white I think. Depending on monitor. The Samsungs seem to do a bit better with the backlight blue issue so I hope I get some luck on that part. However I haven't been able to notice that much blue effect on any display I've thrown my eye on so far. Whilst the Iiyama blasted me from the 1st second I turned it on. It was literally the first thing that I've noticed after I turned the button on. And the blue gamma spike purely proves it wasn't only my imagination or anything like that.

I've returned my

I've returned my Benq GW2470H today. I've looked into folowing models of ips'es samsung s24e390hl and lg 24mp77 and the second one has better gray range and less glow. On the other hand I may buy lg 29um58-p ultrawide ips which has 99% coverage or wait for lg 23mp68vq-p which is 75Hz panel with Freesync and 99% sRGB. The only va panel I'm also considering is samsung s24e510c but it has curve.

I saw you've already went with another LG, but I might've considered waiting for the FreeSync LG.
I actually see the LG 23MP68VQ on Amazon UK for decent price.
Amazon.co.uk: 23mp68vq

It doesn't deliver to where I live, but I can get it from a local supplier for a decent price as well.
Now it got me thinking as well, tho I generally prefer Samsung. :p

Edit:
Actually, the LG has 87% sRGB stated int he video. In general the Samsung S24E370DL should be equal/slightly better, and slightly pricier.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
A quick hello, don't wanna hijack this thread or go off-topic, but I wanted to let you know that I have fixed my attention on Samsung S24E370DL and Samsung S24D590PL so far and made a thread about it here.

In case anyone is interested in going the same way or may find it useful if VA doesn't seem to be the panel for them.

I still am cautious about IPS/PLS Glow, tho the panels I've thrown a quick look in the mall I coulsdn't find anything that may even remotely bother me. Of course due to the lightning and other factors I am sure this is 1000 times less noticeable compared to a dark room f.e. But overall with LCD displays you gotta pick some trade offs. They aren't perfect. And I maybe backlight bleed would bother me more tbh.

What really bothered me with the VA tech was the central black, where dark details fade and you have to move sideways to be able to see more details. I knew this was inherited of VA panel technology, but honestly it really annoyed me more than I thought I would. Another thing is the more noticeable (even compared to 10 year old TN) "reflective stripe" effect that was visible on dark colors. This forum in particular was a perfect example of a worse case scenario. And unlike the other shortcomings I haven't had read this in any review or article that I've cover. Very funny why no one has ever mentioned it. It wasn't as bad as the central black fade, but it still itched me now and then. Actually this was 1 of the reasons why I wanted to move to something else than a TN, but compared to my VA it's a barely notice.

My biggest bum (specifically with the Iiyama) was with the blue radiation that this particular monitor produced. Now I know that all LED are bluish to some point, but honestly I've never seen anything like this. After just an hour of use I felt as if I sat more than 10 hrs straight doing lots of straining work. I've started paying a special attention to color temp and am looking at anything that can go in the range between 6500k - 6000k.

6500k should be neutral white, however with blue LED backlights it rather comes as something rather higher kelvin number in reality. So rather 6300k, maybe 5800k in some cases is what actually look more like neutral white I think. Depending on monitor. The Samsungs seem to do a bit better with the backlight blue issue so I hope I get some luck on that part. However I haven't been able to notice that much blue effect on any display I've thrown my eye on so far. Whilst the Iiyama blasted me from the 1st second I turned it on. It was literally the first thing that I've noticed after I turned the button on. And the blue gamma spike purely proves it wasn't only my imagination or anything like that.

I had also a similar problem with gw2470h but it was caused by semi-glossy coating

I had also a similar problem with gw2470h but it was caused by semi-glossy coating

The panel in the video has a strong black crush (bottom left 0:11 to 0:16), while the central shadow only happens when viewing from the center because VA panels suffer from gamma shift. The coating has nothing to do with that.

I am pretty sure what Metal H meant was not an actual mirroring effect on the screen, but a sparkling effect that I only noticed so far on dark grey colors. The reflective stripe comparison is pretty accurate.

The panel in the video has a strong black crush (bottom left 0:11 to 0:16), while the central shadow only happens when viewing from the center because VA panels suffer from gamma shift. The coating has nothing to do with that.
As you can read in the video description at 0:11 I moved myself to left, this is what's causing a "crush" but really it's just a shadow. And yes this is caused by the coating. Here's a photo of this coating in a broad daylight

DSCN0378.JPG

Back