Best Quality K/B

I don't know how I could justify $255 for a keyboard. But no windows key is worth about that much.

Originally posted by stevewm
Another vote for the old IBM Model M.

I use one at work and love it. I seem to be much more accurate when using it than with any other keyboard. Good positive action and indestructible!

Originally posted by SanGreal
Why would you not want a windows key?

a good question in my book....:rolleyes: benefits far outweigh the pain in the ass it can be sometimes....unless you're running linux or something like that hahaha

Originally posted by Munka
a good question in my book....:rolleyes: benefits far outweigh the pain in the ass it can be sometimes....unless you're running linux or something like that hahaha

Actually I'd rather have a Windows key in UNIX/Linux than in windows. A proper UNIX KB has ctrl, alt, and meta. So a traditional PC KB is short one key, but if you have a windows key you can map it to meta. Solaris x86 does this by default. That said Linux is pretty well set up to do without a meta key... actually I think it maps alt to meta and skips alt, but whatever. In windows all it does is bring up the start menu... I can hit ctrl-esc to do that. I guess the windows key is more convinient, but I'd rather not have one than give up my nice mechanical IBM Model M.

Originally posted by Koz
Its a notebook style flat keyboard, thats going to take some time to get used to.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=23-109-106&depa=1

thats my keyboard, and i love it. They keys are a little bigger and once you get used to it, you'll never leave it.

that keyboard looks just like a keyboard by viewsonic (dont remember model). Anyway, if it is just like it, it's an excellent keyboard. Light keys, feels just like a laptop keyboard, which I love. Hehe, funny how friends of mine always cuss out my keyboard, yet I usually school them in Quake and other FPSers.

Originally posted by zandor
Actually I'd rather have a Windows key in UNIX/Linux than in windows. A proper UNIX KB has ctrl, alt, and meta. So a traditional PC KB is short one key, but if you have a windows key you can map it to meta. Solaris x86 does this by default. That said Linux is pretty well set up to do without a meta key... actually I think it maps alt to meta and skips alt, but whatever. In windows all it does is bring up the start menu... I can hit ctrl-esc to do that. I guess the windows key is more convinient, but I'd rather not have one than give up my nice mechanical IBM Model M.
youre forgetting the hotkeys :)

start+r, start+e, start+d and numerous others

its a lifesaver seeing how im wrecking my wrist already :(

Hmm, didn't know about these hotkeys. I think I'll end up sticking to using my mouse though as it usually rests down by the task bar anyway.

Originally posted by Flipside
Omnikey are said to have made the best boards ever, but I don't think they are made any more, and what's left is pricey...:
http://biznet.maximizer.com/aci/itemaci!00009.html

An ebay example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2780727699&category=51085

holy shit!!! when my mom can afford a new system, i'm selling her keyboard on ebay!! it's almost that exact same one (the second link). not sure of a brand or anything, but are they selling for that much because it's an AT style or whatever, or is it that particular brand?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I saw omnikeys for sale over $200 too, and I always wondered if they had some amazing secret (like covered in gold). One thing that probably lends to their high price is the fact that they don't make them anymore.

Originally posted by Zardoz
NO WINDOWS KEYS!!!!!

What's up with people not liking the windows key?!? If you know how to use it, it's very hany. I use Windows + E for explorer, windows+r for run, and other stuff all the time! You guys should learn the shortcuts, you'll love them ;)

Windows keys,

You all never have had a game stop or crash do to you hitting the windows key and it going to the desktop.

Plus I never use the windows key. Sure I can understand that it has its functions, but I don't need them...

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
FLIPSIDE

I went back through my posts and found you being the one who recommended the Northgate Omnikey that I ended up getting. From all I have read on the web I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Originally posted by burningrave101
Yea no kidding, whats the big deal about a keyboard with a windows key?

It sure helps when doing phone tech support when some dummy hides his task bar and you tell him to click start and he keeps saying there isn't one!

lol.

Back