Best Quality K/B

md262626

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to buy a good solid feeling (heavy) keyboard. I'm tired of my Logitech (light as a feather) piece of crapola. Anyone know who makes a GREAT keyboard?

I use an Eluminx illuminated keyboard, and I love it. The keys feel perfect, and it is built solid. I cant live without it! They do cost a bit, but IMO, they are worth it.

Originally posted by saturnine2
I use an Eluminx illuminated keyboard, and I love it. The keys feel perfect, and it is built solid. I cant live without it! They do cost a bit, but IMO, they are worth it.

Where did you pick your's up at?

I bought my Eluminx from bzboyz.com when they first came out.

Originally posted by SB22
It's kind of got a nice sleek look to it... any idea how much one of those thing's will set you back just out of curiosity?

They run about 36 dollars in Canada, so I'd say around 25-30 in the States.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you can hunt one down the old IBM "Model M" keyboards are quite nice. Heavy, great key feel, and supposedly "dishwasher safe". They're a bit noisy though since they get thier feel from mechanical switches instead of the usual rubber membrane. I've got a couple my dad got from work. eBay is probably your best bet on one of these things.

Valhalla.jpg

but good luck finding one...

Trackpoint IV is what you're looking for though...

Originally posted by NecessaryEvil

Trackpoint IV is what you're looking for though... [/B][/QUOTE] Nice! I've often yearned for a trackpoint on my keyboard; I hate having to flick my right hand over to the mouse if it's only for a small movement, then go back to typing. I didn't know such an animal existed, though.

Originally posted by Flipside
Omnikey are said to have made the best boards ever, but I don't think they are made any more, and what's left is pricey...:
http://biznet.maximizer.com/aci/itemaci!00009.html

An ebay example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2780727699&category=51085

Oh for god sakes... this makes me sad... I had about 20+ of these omnikey 101's, looked exactly like the ebay picture and guess what... I threw them all away. I thought, whos gonna want all these old XT/AT style keyboards *groan* wish I never opened up this thread. :( serriously... 20 or more of them. I cant believe someone would pay $250 for a keyboard. *cry* Lets see $250 * 20... thats $5000 I tossed into the trash can. I think I'm gonna go puke now.

Originally posted by NecessaryEvil
Valhalla.jpg

Trackpoint IV is what you're looking for though...

Nice GX240... thats teh computer d'jour at work these days. Not great for gaming, but excellent space savers for office work.

Logitech DiNuvo's look cool.. they also have bluetooth built in. It's expensive as hell though... but it comes with a bluetooth MX900 and lcd on the removable keypad.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?p...ONTENTID=7321&ad=hp&countryid=19&languageid=1

If you just want a plain keyboard... the Keytronics have never let me down... hell I sent one back to them one time after I spilled something on it and they sent me another one!

Originally posted by magnetik
Logitech DiNuvo's look cool.. they also have bluetooth built in. It's expensive as hell though... but it comes with a bluetooth MX900 and lcd on the removable keypad.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?p...ONTENTID=7321&ad=hp&countryid=19&languageid=1

If you just want a plain keyboard... the Keytronics have never let me down... hell I sent one back to them one time after I spilled something on it and they sent me another one!

Wow, you really weren't kidding when you said expensive. Damn. :eek:

ogitech has a newer, heavier kbout now....it's on their homepage and it pretty hardcore. it comes all bluetoothed with their mx900 for like $250...it's supposed to be the warm fecal bulk.

I use (and am really fond of) an older style IBM keyboard. I think it's a Model M. Steel springs. Sounds clicky. Great feel (for me, anyway) for any games.

Another vote for the old IBM Model M.

They are solidly built, heavy, and have GREAT tactile feedback thanks to their mechanical key switches. (no rubber membranes here!) Keys are not too small. Large backspace key! No retarded multimedia functions and no F-
Lock key! They can be had cheaply on eBay.

You won't be disappointed with it.

If you want one with Windows keys, this website: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/pckeyboards/customizer.html sells a keyboard using the tech as the Model M. Same build and key feel as the old Model M's but with Windows keys.

Originally posted by stevewm
Another vote for the old IBM Model M.

They are solidly built, heavy, and have GREAT tactile feedback thanks to their mechanical key switches. (no rubber membranes here!) Keys are not too small. Large backspace key! No retarded multimedia functions and no F-
Lock key! They can be had cheaply on eBay.

You won't be disappointed with it.

If you want one with Windows keys, this website: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/pckeyboards/customizer.html sells a keyboard using the tech as the Model M. Same build and key feel as the old Model M's but with Windows keys.

these things rock. i have one without a numpad :( but it looks utterly sexy and is mad good for typing

you should find a nice wireless keyboard
those should be heavier with the batteries that it needs for power
it wont be THAT heavy but it sure is heavier than a corded one...

bam!

For the price of the best mouse I've ever laid hands on, you can get the best keyboard I've ever come across, too. And all wireless.

i don't think the 'benefits' of wireless keyboards (and mice for that matter) outweigh their shortcomings. especially if you want something that feels solid.

few of my friends have those big IBM clacky keyboards, they are nice. check ebay for those, one of my friends got one recently, on the back it said made in 1985, and it was never used too!

Originally posted by md262626
I'm looking to buy a good solid feeling (heavy) keyboard. I'm tired of my Logitech (light as a feather) piece of crapola. Anyone know who makes a GREAT keyboard?

Have you used the Logitech Elite Keyboard? Once you get one you'll never go back :p.

omnikey is the best ever! I have 2 new in the box and will never sell. I use one and keep the other 2 for back up if this one ever dies.

one best thing is NO WINDOWS KEYS!!!!!

Back