Best headphones for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. I will start looking around for a price for those. What server you play on? I'm on Befallen. Check out Theatre of Tragedy. Norwegian Gothic band. The lead singer has a gorgeous voice.

Hands down the Sennheiser Orpheus if you can afford them :)
But I think id use em for something other than computer gaming LOL

"Orpheus is available at a suggested retail price of $14,900.00"

No thanks.

Gouda said:
Cool. I will start looking around for a price for those. What server you play on? I'm on Befallen. Check out Theatre of Tragedy. Norwegian Gothic band. The lead singer has a gorgeous voice.

OMG. Befallen for me too. :) What's ur SN?

lol It's Pernicious. Go ahead and add me to your list. I'm only lvl 12 or 13 Crusader.

I won't be on probably for a few days. Just got my new system running and still have to install some updated drivers and run some stresstests and run some benchmarks to make sure it's running ok.

Hi,

Does anyone know of any canadian online store that sells the "Sennheiser PC150" for a good price or any good online store that can ship to Canada, Ontario for a reasonable price?

I see that ncix.ca has them for sale on $102.38 CAD. I think that is too expensive when newegg sells it for $56 US (exchange rate = $66 CAD) and also shipping isn't even included yet for ncix...

thx for any info. :)

A week ago I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-590 for $200 CAD, but they sucked! The plastic part that connects the speaker part and the headband was so thin and flexible, I felt I was gonna break it easily. The sound quality was the same as my old Sony MDR-380s (which only costed $70 bucks!).

So I returned it and bought a pair of Sony MDR-CD480 (for $90 bucks), and this headphone rocks! I sounds better than the HD-590 and the construction quality was way higher.

I don't know why you guys don't recommend the Sony MDR series more...maybe they don't sell them as much in the states?

Pyrolistical said:
A week ago I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-590 for $200 CAD, but they sucked!

OMG. You should have read some more posts here. They're hated by many people including me. I've heard them. They sound ass-tastic. I feel your pain. :p

We do recommend the MDR series...the Sony MDRCD3000...which is about 400 bucks. :)

They sound awesome btw. I have them on my head right now listening to some trance.

Hark...that's funny...I listen to trance too ROFLMAO!! There is a really good station on winamp called X T C London that plays some really good trance stuff.

Gouda said:
Hark...that's funny...I listen to trance too ROFLMAO!! There is a really good station on winamp called X T C London that plays some really good trance stuff.

HEHE. Take a listen to Andain - Beautiful Things (Gabriel and Dresden mix). I just heard it a few days ago. It's awesome. Makes me kinda sad though. Lyrics tell of a girl committing suicide.

ANYways, when're you gonna be on EQ2? I'll be on tomorrow night or possibly later today.

Harkamus said:
HEHE. Take a listen to Andain - Beautiful Things (Gabriel and Dresden mix). I just heard it a few days ago. It's awesome. Makes me kinda sad though. Lyrics tell of a girl committing suicide.

ANYways, when're you gonna be on EQ2? I'll be on tomorrow night or possibly later today.

Can't find this song...Dammit!!!!!!!!!!

Look harder! Hehe j/k, I can't take a look at them now because I am at work. I just got my system running the other day and installed HL2 before I went to work today and let me tell you what....it runs freakin sweet. So I will be installing EQ and patching it tonight sometime to see how it runs on my new system. I am in California. Where are you....besides in the Iron Church... :p

Gouda said:
Look harder! Hehe j/k, I can't take a look at them now because I am at work. I just got my system running the other day and installed HL2 before I went to work today and let me tell you what....it runs freakin sweet. So I will be installing EQ and patching it tonight sometime to see how it runs on my new system. I am in California. Where are you....besides in the Iron Church... :p

The iron church would be my weight room downstairs. I'm on the east coast in Atlanta. :p.

Honestly, in the "Absurdly expensive" category, the wisdom seems to be that going with a KGSS($1500) or better a KGSS/Blue Hawaii($2500) amp, along with a pair of Stax SR-007 Omega II ($1849) electrostatic headphones are some of the best you can get for all-around accurate reproduction of music, better than the Orpheus HE90.

Squalish said:
Honestly, in the "Absurdly expensive" category, the wisdom seems to be that going with a KGSS($1500) or better a KGSS/Blue Hawaii($2500) amp, along with a pair of Stax SR-007 Omega II ($1849) electrostatic headphones are some of the best you can get for all-around accurate reproduction of music, better than the Orpheus HE90.

Orpheus is overrated.

Harkamus said:
Orpheus is overrated.
Yeah, I've heard the low end is lacking, although I have never had a chance to hear them. Maybe if I sold everything I own.... I could afford the power cable... :D

Harkamus said:
The iron church would be my weight room downstairs. I'm on the east coast in Atlanta. :p.

ROFL that's funny. I'm at work right now watching the Atlanta market. So if your nextel phone isn't working, I'm probably working on the T1 that the phone call is going over HAHA! :p

Gouda said:
ROFL that's funny. I'm at work right now watching the Atlanta market. So if your nextel phone isn't working, I'm probably working on the T1 that the phone call is going over HAHA! :p

Very strange but cool at the same time. :p

Howdy neighbor!

saturnine2 said:
Yeah, I've heard the low end is lacking, although I have never had a chance to hear them. Maybe if I sold everything I own.... I could afford the power cable... :D

:p. That power cable better be made of platinum and be encrusted in diamonds.

Hi all. :)

I've had a pair of Sony MDR-V200's for quite a long time now, 95% of the time they've been used on the PC for gaming, and occaionally for listening to music on the same PC.
Similar to other people, I too have an Audigy 2 zs.
I found the Sony's to be quite ok, since they've lasted me for quite a few years. But they now need replacing due to wear and tear. (No, I'm not rough with them either).
I also own a really really bad and utter rubbish Logitech pair with a mic, mainly used for online conversations during gaming. These really need replacing.

I guess my question is mainly directed to those of you that have used the following.
I tried out (in the store only), the Sennheiser 497's, and thought they were pretty good for the money. I also tried the cheaper 212 Pro, which has a better emphasis on the bass (which I liked) but lacks a bit in the higher frequency range, which I also noticed.
So the specs on both of these seemed quite correct.
I found both to be rather comfortable with the oval earcups fitting my ears quite well, but I only had time to try each for a few minutes. I read in a previous post in this thread, that they can become a little sore on the ears after long use. (I currently find the same problem with my Sony's after long use).

All that being said, I'm really after a pair with a mic, so the PC-150's seem to be the right way to go. They didn't have these in the store to try, but said they can get them in for me.
One thing though, these have round earcups, which I'm not sure how comfortable they'll be compared to the 497's or the 212 Pro's. The only other thing is, I was told that I couldn't return them if I didn't like them. Some policy they have in place regarding "health issues".
I want to buy from this store, only because I have gift vouchers that I must use by the next few days, and a new headset is the only thing I need.

So, if the PC-150's fit quite well, and sound quite good, I'd go for those, and if not, then I guess the 497's or 212 Pro's would be my answer.

Just looking for input/help from others in this forum.

Thanks in advance.

Can any recommend me a place to get the PC-150? I can't find them except on eBay.

jamezzz122 said:
Can any recommend me a place to get the PC-150? I can't find them except on eBay.

I got mine at Newegg for $56... Not the cheapest price around but I was buying a whole bunch of things there so I saved on the shipping (Puerto Rico). I think Amazon might have them a couple bucks cheaper for sure.

Raptor if you get the chance to try the Sennheiser PC-150 in the store please let us know ASAP and how they are. :)

I'm really considering getting this headset.. but i have glasses so i hope these won't hurt me ears much.

DT770/80s hands down, with a PPA/SuperDual (amps) and bass boost. Completely wasted without a good source (sound card), Audigy 2 ZS for gaming.

I recieved a pair a Zalman 5.1 headphones today (thanks to Luthorcrow). My first impressions using an Audigy 2 ZS:

For music/movies, they are horrible. Absolutely the worst sounding headphones I have ever heard, and I have heard a lot. (tested with the Manic Street Preachers "Nostalgic Pushead", Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 23 in A major, and Tool's Forty Six And 2 (all FLAC lossless)). I could not listen to any more music as these are quite fatiguing. I'll post a better description of their sound later..

For games they are actually kinda cool. I can tell a bit of difference in soundstage between these and my HD497s, the Zalmans being a little better. But since the quality of the sound sucks, the HD497s win ;) (tested with Doom3, Halo, and FarCry) (sidenote: I also own HD580s, but do not use them for gaming as I feel the 497's soundstage is a bit better for games.)

The build quality is pretty good, much better than I was expecting, and the way they fold up is nifty. If Zalman could improve the sound quality 200%, these might be good :rolleyes:

Yeah there is better 5.1 headphones. In term of sound quality anyway. But they all have the elements closer together so the surround is not as good. The Kinyo I got now well sound quality is way better than the Zalmans but the surround is hardly non existant because how tightly together the elements are. They sound okay and do have force feedback so they are mega cool to game with anyway. And well isolated so I can use them at night :)

But from what I have heard Medusa is supposed to be the best 5.1 headphones for the moment.

Will be interesting how they stack up to the Porta PRO and Philips 890 I am getting for music primarily and for games where surround isn´t that important (or force feedback) :)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
oqvist said:
But from what I have heard Medusa is supposed to be the best 5.1 headphones for the moment.

Hhhmm. I am still not sure any of these are any good but I would think these Sonys would be a step up from Medusa.

MDR-DS8000

Thanks for your first impression saturnine2..

I read many ppl here and other review sites that says the sound isn't that great as well on those Zalman 5.1. But most say do agree it is pretty good for gaming.

How that I was thinking about it, I might not get the PC-150. I might get the HD-280 or the HD-497. How do the two compare? I was going to get one of the two headphones and then a desktop mic. Are those headphones "good enough" so that an amp would help?

jamezzz122 said:
How that I was thinking about it, I might not get the PC-150. I might get the HD-280 or the HD-497. How do the two compare? I was going to get one of the two headphones and then a desktop mic. Are those headphones "good enough" so that an amp would help?

jamezzz122 can i ask why you don't want to get the PC150? Is there a big difference in gaming/music using PC150 and HD497?

Now i have second thoughts... and want the HD-497 from eCost using BorderFree (Canada). I wanted a good gaming mic headset but then again i already have a mic i bought years ago so i can use it with a headphones. Does anyone have HD-497 and if they wear glasses does it bother them? I'm also looking for comfort and don't want these to irritate the ear.

On their eCost website it says they have "HD497 Stereo Headphones, Silver Reconditioned by Sennheiser" for 37!? (USD). I don't know much about refurbished or reconditioned stuff by Sennheiser, but does anyone know if such items are reliable or is it better to just get a new PC150?

Read my Kinyo 5.1 headphones vs Koss Porta PRO vs Philips 890 comparison

Can't believe this thread's gone 10 pages without anyone mentioning the Medusa 5.1's. They beat the zalman's hands down, and for gaming they just can't be beat. Fancy stereo ones will sound nicer, but the surroundness given by medusa's do help you know where the sound is coming from, which is what you want more then admiring excellent base repoduction as that rocket hits you in the back!. That's not to say the sound is bad - for games especially and to a lesser extent movies it's pretty good. They also have the other thing any gamer needs which is a built in mike.

Pretty cheap if you live in the Europe too (made in Germany I think).

Has anyone tried out the Medusa 5.1 Headset? Are they actually any good? There seems to be tons of positive reviews, but I'm still a bit skeptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back