Best headphones for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
gwu168 said:
Has anyone tried out the Medusa 5.1 Headset? Are they actually any good? There seems to be tons of positive reviews, but I'm still a bit skeptical.

I have a set paired to an audigy 2, which I use mostly for gaming and for that they work great - very comfy, pretty accurate surround sound, good mike. If you want to the details read the many reviews.

I used them for games like UT2004, Farcry, Doom 3, SW-KOTOR, Call of duty and for that they easily beat my previous £30 stereo ones, making the game a much more emmersive experience and noticably easier to play (e.g. hiding in the bushes in Farcry and trying to work out where all those damn mercenaries are creeping up on you from by sound alone).

Biggest downside is probably the headphone amp. That gives them plenty of volume (and you can plug in 2 sets of headphones for watching movies, etc with a friend) but it's a bit hissy - you can turn down the volume on the headphones to get rid of most of it, but annoying all the same. It's not as well shielded as I would like either (don't put your wireless mouse receiver too close).
If you want some headphones suited for gaming that give you a bit extra then these are perfect. If you're the type of person that spends hundreds on headphones then undoubtedly you will not be satisfied, but for the rest of us these are a worthwhile upgrade.

From the picture I saw the Kinyo 5.1 headphones have the same amp, but no idea how similar the headphones themselves are - the Kinyo's don't have the mike for a start.

sbuckler the Kinyo cost half as much and I think is quite close in term of bass and sound quality. Stands very well against Koss Porta PRO and Philips HP890 I found out. Those are a bit better for music but it´s not much you have to listen a lot to notice it.

oqvist said:
sbuckler the Kinyo cost half as much and I think is quite close in term of bass and sound quality. Stands very well against Koss Porta PRO and Philips HP890 I found out. Those are a bit better for music but it´s not much you have to listen a lot to notice it.

Depends where you live - can't buy Kinyo's in the uk from what I can tell, and the medusa's are much cheaper over here then in the US (for once something is actually cheaper in Europe!)

Yeah I know I imported my Kinyo from the US. But Medusa is not available in Sweden and you can´t ordering anything from the UK because stuff over there is so expensive :)

I have the Kinyo's and was wondering if the Medua's sounded better. There don't seem to be many review's of the Medusa's except for the ones at www.medusa-usa.com and those two reviews I did not find helpful.

I bet the Medusa's use the same drivers as the Kinyo's, seeing as how they both come with the same amp.

It appears that there is now a USB version of the Medusa's but I couldn't find even as much as to a picture of them, as I was wondering what type of adapter they are using.

Here is a topic that I posted in that has links to several 5.1 sets, with a few of them appearing to be more highend: http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247106

Maybe somebody with time and money, and better ears will make a guide as to which ones are worth the money..

Ry-00 said:
On their eCost website it says they have "HD497 Stereo Headphones, Silver Reconditioned by Sennheiser" for 37!? (USD). I don't know much about refurbished or reconditioned stuff by Sennheiser, but does anyone know if such items are reliable or is it better to just get a new PC150?

I just purchased a set of reconditioned HD 280s from eCost--They had a short in the wire. I was going to send them back but since I'm impatient I took them apart and figured out what was causing the problem, closed it up and they work perfect.

So, happying ending but I'm dissappointed with the "reconditioning" job by Sennheiser though.

Help?
I'm looking for an amp to power the 280s....Any suggestions???

ah... got caught playing advertiser and was handed his head, eh? that ought to do it, all right.

:eek: gawd help me we have an undead moderator.

:D j/k but where the h*** did you just come from?!

I have a set of Senns HD500, they sound great, and they feel comfortable after hours of playing CS source. Sound is good too, i listen to every type of music, dont know what to say about getting an amp though. I use my front headphone jack from my Audigy Platinum. Hope you find what your looking for. :cool:

I bought the IOMagic sound assault from Microcenter on a whim because they have a 30-day return policy. I am using SoundMax integreated audio but I plan to get an Audigy 2 (if only for the low CPU utilization). For comparison, I plugged in my Aiwa HP-X222 headphones into the passthrough output on the included amp in order to switch back and forth easily.

First I ran RightMark 3D sound positioning accuracy test. The first thing I noticed is that you have to reduce the volume level to at least 8 on the inline volume control to get rid of the hissing from the amp. If you choose not to reduce the inline volume, the hissing does NOT go away when sound is playing, you just don't notice it as much.

Next I noticed that the volume level on the front left an right speakers does not seem normailzed in any way to the rears or the centers. As the sound panned around my head, the volume level changed from speaker to speaker. I suppose you could get it to sound right with some manual tweaking of the volume levels.

In terms of positioning accuracy, I found that the rear positioning was pretty convincing. Maybe not so much directly behind but definitly rear left and rear right. There was a little weirdness in the panning transition between the fronts and centers. Its difficult to compare the positioning accuracy to my regular stereo set. The stereo set sounded cleaner and more consistent during the panning. The multi-channel set was a little... sloppier. I think it may be that feeling localized low-freq vibrations directly on your ears helps with the positioning (not intrinsic to the sound itself). I don't know how SoundMax HRTFs for positional audio compare to the Audigy2, or how good my stereo headphones are compared to something like the Senn PC150 (which I have decided to get). Assuming you get the volume levels normalized, I would say its a draw between the two for this test (maybe a slight edge to the multi-channel).

Next I fired up Doom3. I expected the positional audio to be a little better with the IOMagics because I know that Doom3 does not use DirectSound3D and thus its 3D positioning over headphones or stereo is rather primitive. I think the multi-channels did give a little bit better sense of direction. However, the IOMagics did sound a bit muddier than my stereo headphones. Everything seemed to loud and there was a bit of extra reverb. Distance cues were a bit messed up. Everything sounded "in my head". I think this is to be expected because 5.1 channel output is MEANT to come from speakers.

I used Call of Duty to compare SoundMax's positional audio over stereo to the 5.1 channel set. In this case, considering that the game actually uses the sound driver's positional algorithms, I think the positioning was just as good as the 5.1 channel. On top of that, everything sounded cleaner, more like it should. For example, no reverb and echo artifacts when running across and open field shooting. Stereo wins.

For a movies, I downloaded PowerDVD 6 trial and compared Dolby Headphone over my stereo headphones to plain 5.1 channel output. First I put in StarWars II and ran the THX audio optimizer test (where it plays static from each speaker) and compared the positioning. Both Dolby Headphone over stereo and the IOMagic had similar positioning. When actually watching the movie however, the overall sound quality of Dolby Headphone blew the 5.1 channel set away. For example, I played the duel between Yoda and Doku. At one point, Yoda does a flip thing and bounces off the side of Doku's ship, during which you can hear a harp flourish in the soundtrack. When I used the IOMagic set, I couldn't hear the harp! After playing it again and again, I was finaly able to identify the sound, albiet in a very distorted and muddied form. On top of that, IOMagic once again sounded generally sloppy. Stereo headphones with Dolby Headphone wins by a long shot.

Overall, I think I will return the 5.1 channel set. After reading a lot of opinions about these things, and through my own experience, it seems that using multiple (low-quality) speakers in headphones is kind of a brute-force and gimmicky way to achive surround sound over headphones. It works, but not well; certainly not any better than and not as cleanly as a good set of stereo headphones and good positional algorithms.

Any requests for tests and/or comparisons before I return them?

Hey, I need a headphone upgrade, bad!

I'm currently using 10$ Jensens I got from SamGoody, great headphones for the price, but all they seem to do is "play"

I'd like some STRONG headphones, 100-250 range. I'm curious about amps...

Also, I'm a true MMORPG fan but I'm getting into FPS, like HL2, Doom3 etc... I was TRYING to find a great pair to get but was unable to find a distinct winner, and I'm usually good with this but I guess headphones is another business? :)

anyone seen the Pioneer SE-XB1? 450$ price tag, but I may be able to get it for less if theyre really worth it, personally, they look awesome.

All these fancy gimmicky headphones are going to sound tinny and cheap compared to a good pair of Grado's. www.gradolabs.com They've won What Hi-Fi? and other awards for years now. I've heard good things about the Shure earbuds as well. If you want to hear someone sneaking up behind you in CS or UT these are the most accurate ones you'll find.

I just got some Sennheiser HD-457's . They cost about $29-39 in a store like circuit city. I find them to be excellent and of course much better than what I was using. You can get better/more expensive models, but I find these fine for me.

Love Grado but I own a set of Philips HP890s, bought them while visiting Germany. Current Vintage Reciever is an Harmon/Kardon 730 twin powered that loves these headphone. My computer is connect to a Pioneer VSX-D711 Reciever since it supports AC3 5.1 and RAW PCM-Computer signals. I don't game with Headphone but if I did, I'd use the Zalman suround or etc.. Playing games with only left and right is like looking at a small black and white TV.

Donnie

You can always use good DSP to get simulated surround on stereo cans. The "5.1" headphones do the same thing in their DSP circuitry in most cases. Very few cans have multiple drivers.

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
All these fancy gimmicky headphones are going to sound tinny and cheap compared to a good pair of Grado's. www.gradolabs.com They've won What Hi-Fi? and other awards for years now. I've heard good things about the Shure earbuds as well. If you want to hear someone sneaking up behind you in CS or UT these are the most accurate ones you'll find.
Actually, I find Grados sound stage to be almost non-existant. Sure they sound great (with the right type of music), but for positional sound there are definately better cans out there. I've heard the SR60s, 80s and 225s, and own the 80s. The best headphone soundstage I have heard has to be the Audio Technica A900.

All IMO of course...

Donnie27 said:
Love Grado but I own a set of Philips HP890s, bought them while visiting Germany. Current Vintage Reciever is an Harmon/Kardon 730 twin powered that loves these headphone. My computer is connect to a Pioneer VSX-D711 Reciever since it supports AC3 5.1 and RAW PCM-Computer signals. I don't game with Headphone but if I did, I'd use the Zalman suround or etc.. Playing games with only left and right is like looking at a small black and white TV.

Donnie

My man, you really most not have read this entire thread. 5.1 headphones area joke. Your black and white TV analogue doesn't jive for me but hey to each his own.

Fantastic how people can decide from a internet thread that 5.1 headphones is a joke.

I personally sent back some Philips 890 and Koss Porta PRO because my Kinyo 5.1 headphones where almost as good for music and better for gaming.

People have to realize that as with everything there is better and worse products. Of course there is crappy 5.1 headphones as well as there are crappy stereo headphones.

Also 5.1 headphones generally do have multiple drivers if not the aren´t called 5.1 headphones but surround or something similar. Both my old Zalmans and my current Kinyo have separate front and rear channels. Kinyos even have it´s own bass element.

Still a bit missleading because you of course doesn´t get a center channel. 4.1 would be more appropriate to give an idea of what it gives you.

Luthorcrow said:
My man, you really most not have read this entire thread. 5.1 headphones area joke. Your black and white TV analogue doesn't jive for me but hey to each his own.

Sorry my man, I did read the whole thread and there's no way for 2 channel headphones to do 5.1 at all. I know the Zalmans don't do much for just music listening, but the title of the thread was headphones for Gaming, not music. When I bought mine, I had a choice between SH-570 and the Philips SBC HP 890s, I went with the Philips. So yes, to each his own.

Donnie

oqvist said:
Fantastic how people can decide from a internet thread that 5.1 headphones is a joke.

I personally sent back some Philips 890 and Koss Porta PRO because my Kinyo 5.1 headphones where almost as good for music and better for gaming.

People have to realize that as with everything there is better and worse products. Of course there is crappy 5.1 headphones as well as there are crappy stereo headphones.

Also 5.1 headphones generally do have multiple drivers if not the aren´t called 5.1 headphones but surround or something similar. Both my old Zalmans and my current Kinyo have separate front and rear channels. Kinyos even have it´s own bass element.

Still a bit missleading because you of course doesn´t get a center channel. 4.1 would be more appropriate to give an idea of what it gives you.

They do a Phantom Center so yes, they can say 5.1. I like the Grados and hell, I'd be happy with these-->http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/sr80.htm. Sure there are better models maybe I just have lower standards.

Donnie

Donnie27 said:
Sorry my man, I did read the whole thread and there's no way for 2 channel headphones to do 5.1 at all. I know the Zalmans don't do much for just music listening, but the title of the thread was headphones for Gaming, not music. When I bought mine, I had a choice between SH-570 and the Philips SBC HP 890s, I went with the Philips. So yes, to each his own.
Well on the first point we agree but producing 5.1 sound is not my definition of good set of headphones for gaming. I also don't buy the argument that a pair of head phones can be good for gaming if they are not also good for music or movies. Crap is crap no matter what bells and whistles you throw on it.

oqvist said:
Fantastic how people can decide from a internet thread that 5.1 headphones is a joke...

And even more funny how someone jumps into a long thread without reading the entire thread and makes an off the hip comment. If you read back you would know that I owned a pair of Zalman's so my opinion on the subject is based on more than this thread. But hey, it sound cool right? :p

My tolerance for this thread has just about hit the wall. :D

Seriously.... I think this thread has ran it's course so let's just move along shall we cause it seems to be going around in the same circles all over again.

Well, the SE-XB1s are area Dolby and the reviews are great, from everyone I've read, only bad thing is that you can only import them from japan.... any ideas?

Luthorcrow said:

From you.

MrPrez post#1 said:
Im looking for new headphones. Im gonna play a lot of HL2 and Doom3. I also play Halo PC and UT2004. Taking into consideration the Source engine's and the Doom 3 engine's support for 5.1, what headphones should i get? What company/model/technology should i look for? T[H]anks for the help.
MrPrez

My man, hehehehe, my post was to him, NOT, you, that's why I mentioned it, but really no big deal though. Some folks think the Zalmans suck, I didn't so that's the problem!

I've gotten used to hearing things behind *me, you don't have to agree or even like it, left and right from 2ch headphone is a handicap **to me.

I've shown folks this since the EAX Demo level of UT #1, America's Army and others. Still playing Half Life 2 that sounds great and no 2ch headphone does it for *me. I mentioned the reciever because that's what I use 90% of the time.

Donnie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back