Best headphones for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love my Sony MDR-7506 headphones. Great sound quality, low price (about 70-$100). They are industry standard phones, used in studios, DJs, etc a lot. You can also replace the pleather pads with Beyerdynamic dt-250 velour pads for about $25 which makes them all the more better. Best closed cans that are also quite affordable.

Fistandantilus said:
Best closed cans that are also quite affordable.
I wouldnt really call them the best, but they are used a lot in recording studios for some reason.. My college used them in the radio/recording room.

Well I should have said the best in that affordable price range. There are certainly better ones if you pay over 2x as much :)

You should have said best in your opinion cause in my opinion the HD280 pros are much better cans for about the same money. :p

What are the best stereo cans, high end, for 3d sound postioning? I heard the Beyer DT770s are good, what are some others?

Fistandantilus said:
I love my Sony MDR-7506 headphones. Great sound quality, low price (about 70-$100). They are industry standard phones, used in studios, DJs, etc a lot. You can also replace the pleather pads with Beyerdynamic dt-250 velour pads for about $25 which makes them all the more better. Best closed cans that are also quite affordable.

I am pretty sure my hd497's were better than my mdr7509's for gaming

There is the PC-155 headset out now. It is friggin 100+. USB interace. I wonder if that would allow use of the mic with speakers and not only with the headset.

jamezzz122 said:
There is the PC-155 headset out now. It is friggin 100+. USB interace. I wonder if that would allow use of the mic with speakers and not only with the headset.

Just get the PC-150 for half the price... Why would you want to use the mic with speakers, wouldn't that be uncomfortable (having headphones on that you aren't using)? I don't get it... Maybe I'm reading your statement wrong. Regardless of the fact that you can do that, it's just two regular jacks on the 150 set (and they sound better than the muted 155s).

zachary80 said:
I am pretty sure my hd497's were better than my mdr7509's for gaming
I prefer closed myself, it's very subjective when it comes to these things :) I'd like to try in-ear etymonics some time as I hear great things about them.

Impulse said:
Just get the PC-150 for half the price... Why would you want to use the mic with speakers, wouldn't that be uncomfortable (having headphones on that you aren't using)? I don't get it... Maybe I'm reading your statement wrong. Regardless of the fact that you can do that, it's just two regular jacks on the 150 set (and they sound better than the muted 155s).

Sometimes I would proabably wanna game with my speakers so that is why I was asking. But I know it is possible with the PC-150s so I will get those.

Retardo said:
are the Bose Quitecomfort 2 any good?

Anything Bose isn't good. Bose is 99% marketting and 1% research/dev.

Don't buy into their hype.

i got the hd497s recently and am pretty happy with them. They sound awesome and they even fit my big head, but i cant wear them for too long at time... its easy to get caught up in a game or movie and suddenly realize my ears really hurt and its time to take a breather.

corran_horn314: that is a common complait with the HD497s.

Put them in the sun to warm up and then stretch them out over something that is bigger then your head.

ShaitoLainen said:
Haha Check out this site :D

Ultrasone Edition 7

Those headphones cost 2999$

Wonder if they are good for gaming, but they sure have comfort :rolleyes:

I'll take two. ;) I own their HFi-650, and while they are not the most comfortable headphones I've owned, they shut out the outside and make Fatboy Slim sound like the god that he is.

GodsMadClown said:
I'll take two. ;) I own their HFi-650, and while they are not the most comfortable headphones I've owned, they shut out the outside and make Fatboy Slim sound like the god that he is.

But is the sound quality incredible :rolleyes: ? I heard that the HFi-650 is pricey too? :(

ShaitoLainen said:
But is the sound quality incredible :rolleyes: ? I heard that the HFi-650 is pricey too? :(

It's quite good. I am the third owner of my set of HFI-650 'phones. IIRC, I paid $115. I still think that I got a deal.

GodsMadClown said:
It's quite good. I am the third owner of my set of HFI-650 'phones. IIRC, I paid $115. I still think that I got a deal.

Thx m8! That wasn't such a bad price? :)
I think i will buy one too :D

Refurb Sennheiser HD-280 Pro: $56.99 at ecost.com
56.99 + $4.95 handling + free ground shipping = final cost of $61.94

eCOST.com Part #2551475

Outstanding closed headphones that do not require an amp (although they do benefit from one). Rated at 32db of noise attenuation, they have a ridiculous ability to block outside noise. They are perfect headphones for listening at the office, library or wherever you to separate your music from the outside world.

Ecost.com also does international shipments, althoguh I am unsure about the rates.

Harkamus said:
Preach on, brotha. DT770s all the way.
Hell yes.

Based on a year or so of reading head-fi.org, and my own listening experience, for the sensibilities of the gaming world here are my recommendations(Admittedly, I'm a basshead):

\/ $<40
Koss ksc-35
Koss Portapro

\/ $40-$70
HD497
Grado SR60

\/ $70-100 + optional amp
Grado SR80(Open, 'fun' coloration, -bass, too much highfreq + bad production earpads = uncomfortable for some)
Sony MDR-V6 / 7506(Closed, +bass, decent sound otherwise)
Sennheiser HD-280 (Closed, more laid back)

\/ $100-$200 + required amp
Beyerdynamic DT770 (closed, 'fun' coloration, Bass King, slightly shrill with soft music)
Ultrasone hfi-650 (Open, very balanced, neutral, good bass)
Sennheiser HD580 (Open, very laid back, smoothed out sound great for soft music)

The amp is not actually a requirement, just a recommendation in order to get sound quality to merit the price. On the DT770, when my amp broke and I had to use my GTXP soundcard's headphone out, it was usable - it didn't sound as good, and it didn't go nearly as loud, but it maxed out at just about my maximum listening level. Anything here is likely to be LOADS better than your average mass-marketted cheapo headphones, regardless of the amp/source.

Amps: Buy one made by a DIYer turned small business(try here: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41 , note that there are many on head-fi who don't advertise there). Much better for your buck than buying anything else at these pricepoints. The CMOY, CHA47, the meta42, the PiMeta, the Mint, the Gilmore Lite, are all recommended.

Some people will say Plantronics are the best, but in reality.. they are pieces of trash.

I recommend NOT getting Plantronics. They break easily since they are made of really cheap plastic, they are not even comfortable compared to most headphones, and the sound quality doesn't compare to most headphones. Take my word for it.

Hmmm. For me an amp is a requirement for DT 770s. I listened to my non/pros using my soundcard and the bass was almost non-existend. I plugged in my UBER PPA amp courtesy of yours truly(Mister X) and it was amazing.

I've had to train myself not to turn the dial to the 12 o'clock position. Now THAT is basshead-ism. :p

Mister X said:
DIYers that don't advertise.
Hmm, interesting concept. ;)
You definitely should make a website or something if you don't have one already; assuming of course you'd want the extra demand/load :)

And on a related note, for anyone connecting an amp to a soundcard make sure to disable amplification on the soundcard if possible. When I was using my MisterX amp with an Audigy1 I would get a hum at about 50% volume (when no sound was playing) since it was getting amplified twice. I didn't mind because it was only a couple days until my Chaintech AV-710 came in. Now with the Chaintech with amplification disabled (gotta change a couple jumpers on the card) there's no hum at all even at max volume (though I rarely go past 50% when actually listening to something because I don't want blood dripping from my ears ;))

CANiSLAYu said:
And on a related note, for anyone connecting an amp to a soundcard make sure to disable amplification on the soundcard if possible. When I was using my MisterX amp with an Audigy1 I would get a hum at about 50% volume (when no sound was playing) since it was getting amplified twice. I didn't mind because it was only a couple days until my Chaintech AV-710 came in. Now with the Chaintech with amplification disabled (gotta change a couple jumpers on the card) there's no hum at all even at max volume (though I rarely go past 50% when actually listening to something because I don't want blood dripping from my ears ;))

Hmmm...how to do this on an Audigy 2 ZS?

I'm not sure. I tried a quick search at a few places before and didn't come up with anything so I just dealt with it until I got the Chaintech. It's possible there isn't a way to disable the amplification :( Maybe they could give you a 100% certain answer at head-fi if no one here knows.

The jumper on the AV-710 only works for the front outputs.... if you are using the 7th and 8th (high resolution) outputs it has no effect whatsoever. ;)

The question now becomes what kind of hummmmm?

Mister X said:
The jumper on the AV-710 only works for the front outputs.... if you are using the 7th and 8th (high resolution) outputs it has no effect whatsoever. ;)

The question now becomes what kind of hummmmm?
Hrm. I thought it also applied to the line-out (don't know if that's the same as the high-res)? It was a sustained, deep hum that increased with the volume and could only be heard when nothing was playing. Nothing at all with the Chaintech though at any volume level :confused:

That is weird cause I have never had any problems with my ZS card causing any kind of humming..... did the amp do that with both the batteries and wall power?
Do you have the PC and amp both plugged into the same outlet?
Do you have any type of power filtration in the chain?

wait wait wait wait.... you are using a unsheilded IC right?

Mister X said:
That is weird cause I have never had any problems with my ZS card causing any kind of humming..... did the amp do that with both the batteries and wall power?
Do you have the PC and amp both plugged into the same outlet?
Do you have any type of power filtration in the chain?

wait wait wait wait.... you are using a unsheilded IC right?
I haven't tried it with batteries, just an ac/dc converter (not that uber-crappy one). The ac/dc and computer are plugged in separate surge protectors, which are plugged straight into the wall. This is the IC I'm using right now.

I remember I got that IC when I still had the Audigy, but I can't remember if I noticed the hum when I was using the Belkin one or the other cable (standard RCA you get with a DVD player, etc.). That could very well be the case.

edit: I put back the old cables I was using and there's no hum, so I guess that's not it.

Mister X, I was wondering if it is possible if you can post a pic of these amps that you fabricate and maybe post a little more info about them. I am interested in maybe getting one, after I purchase some headphones...which I am still undecided on :(

Hey thanks man. How much did you pay for the Mint? Looks pretty sweet. How does it perform? What headphones are you using ? How powerful is the amp. I will be the first to admit I don't know alot about sound equipment. I just want something that is going to be clear, sound good, put out good bass, good for gaming and music listening. I wish there was a place I could go to, to listen to headphones.

Gouda said:
Hey thanks man. How much did you pay for the Mint? Looks pretty sweet. How does it perform? What headphones are you using ? How powerful is the amp. I will be the first to admit I don't know alot about sound equipment. I just want something that is going to be clear, sound good, put out good bass, good for gaming and music listening. I wish there was a place I could go to, to listen to headphones.

Sounds like the perfect candidate for you in terms of headphones would be a Beyerdynamic DT 770 paired to at least a Pimeta...or if you want something better, a PPA amp.

Other can choices would be the Audiotechnica ATH 900(good without an amp, but better with one) and the Ultrasone 550 Beatmasters(an amp is recommended for these).

I've heard them all. I personally like the DT 770 best. I'm a basshead and for heavy FPS gaming you need the bass.

Hi thanks for the interst.

For price I'm guessing like most DIYers, they'd perfer for you to ask them personally.

I am currently using Beyerdynamic DT440 aka the groovalizers. They are called that because they are fun headphones. Nice punchy bass but not to the extent of the DT770's. The bass is still enjoyable and I think they'll be great for general music listening. They however do have better mids and highs in comparison to the DT770's which is what I enjoy more. Overall if you want a fun headphone I think the DT440's are a great choice, if you want more of an audiophile headphone then I guess you can look toward the Sennheiseer line which is considered by some to analytical and detailed, but probably not as good for gamming.

As for the amp it definitely performs well. Before having the amp I listened to it from an old Kenwood receiver and straight out of my soundcard (Chaintech AV710). The Kenwood IMO was very fatiguing, the bass to me was a bit too powerful and | wasn't able to listen for as long as I would w/the MINT. Comming straight out of the Chaintech the sound would clip at the volumes that I enjoyed listening to music at. So therefore the MINT was a great choice. I could pump up the volume and not worry about clipping or overpowering bass.

Hope that helps.

I can break it down for you guys a little more. I play alot of FPS...mostly and play Neverwinter Nights and EQ2, and when not playing games I listen to alot of music.

The music I listen to is as follows

Black Sabbath, Tool, NIN, lots of heavy metal with highs and mids...but I do like to hear the bass when listening to this but I like it to be clear not distorted like I've heard from some headphones. I listen to some gothic metal and some slower more mellow gothic music as well.

Gouda said:
I can break it down for you guys a little more. I play alot of FPS...mostly and play Neverwinter Nights and EQ2, and when not playing games I listen to alot of music.

The music I listen to is as follows

Black Sabbath, Tool, NIN, lots of heavy metal with highs and mids...but I do like to hear the bass when listening to this but I like it to be clear not distorted like I've heard from some headphones. I listen to some gothic metal and some slower more mellow gothic music as well.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 hands down. I listen to the same music as you. Gaming is also similar to your tastes. In fact I also play EQ2.

Speaking of metal, Avenged Sevenfold is some crazy stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back