Best Gamecube Games?

KatalDT

2[H]4U
My fiancee was recently reminiscing about her Gamecube days when she was younger, so I decided to buy one and a few games as a surprise for her. I skipped Gamecube - been an XBox guy for what little console playing I did. (NES/SNES before that)

So far I'm getting:

- The Gamecube + Power/AV Cords
- Four Controllers (There's only two of us, but we have friends.. really!)
- Rogue Squadron II (I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and she loved this game when she was younger)
- Rogue Squadron III
- Mario Kart: Double Dash

Single player games are okay, but anything for two people (coop or versus) or more is great. I'm not a big fan of the Smash Bros. games though...

Edit: Also, does Gamecube have a systemlink type thing, and are there any games worth getting it for? I wouldn't mind grabbing a second console if there are some good system link games for it - could hook one Gamecube up to the bigscreen, then mount a second 37" LCD I have in the attic on the wall nearby in the A/V room for it. :D

Last edited:
both zeldas, metal gear solid twin snakes, resident evil 4, killer 7 (cautiously recommended, not everyone will dig it but I loved it), beyond good and evil, mario sunshine

Buy a Gamecube component cable if you can find one. Some GC games can be ran in progressive scan. The quality can be significantly better. Even for non-progressive scan games, they will look better. compost cables suck (the yellow plug), especially hen you compare them side by side with s-video or component.

In case you don't know that Wii can play gamecube games (except maybe the blue version I heard rumored awhile back).

Then just buy some controllers (Prefer Wavebirds), memory cards and a component cable. When she is done with the GC she can play wii fit and wii resort ;)

As for games...
Hidden Gems
Cheapest Games
Rare and valuable

Eternal darkness was also my favorite, but I only played a handful of GC games. Didn't care for the zelda or mario games, I liked them in the previous consoles,so maybe I'm just outgrowing them.

I'll have to grab Eternal Darkness and maybe the Four Swords Zelda game.

We had a Wii, and we *NEVER* used it, ever. We sold it for more than I paid for it a couple years ago.

super smash brothers melee
metroid 1 and 2
eternal darkness
resident evil 4
star fox

Mario Kart Double Dash
Metroid 1 and 2
Freedom Fighters
Eternal Darkness
Zelda: Wind Waker
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Resident Evil 4
Beyond Good and Evil
MGS: Twin Snakes
Mario Sunshine

Tales of Symphonia if you like jrpg's. Had a ton of fun with that one. I wish I still had my copy of the game, it's like $80 on amazon now :(

Ikaruga was one of my favorites.

Tales of Symphonia

As a person who loved the crap out of RE4 on GameCube, today I would rather buy it on the 360 or PS3 as a HD version, it has the Separate Ways bonus story that wasn't on GC.

RE4 was killer... loved it on GC

Also, probably one of my favorite GC games was Dokopon Kingdom. I'm pretty sure they did a Wii and PS2 version as well. It's a hybrid board game-RPG. A lot of fun if you're sitting around drinking with some friends or family.

RE4 was killer... loved it on GC

Also, probably one of my favorite GC games was Dokopon Kingdom. I'm pretty sure they did a Wii and PS2 version as well. It's a hybrid board game-RPG. A lot of fun if you're sitting around drinking with some friends or family.

Ooh, will have to grab that. My friends and family love sitting around drinking and playing board/card games (everything from Pictionary to Dominion to Catan).

RECOMMENDED GAMES :Action - Viewtiful Joe, RPG - Star Fox Adventures, Shooter - Robotech Battlecry, RTS - Battalion Wars, RPG - The LotR The Third Age, Action - Star Wars Rebel Strike Rogue Squadron III, Action - LOTR The Return of the King, Racing - Tube Slider, Sport - Top Angler Real Bass Fishing, Racing - R:Racing Evolution -bonus game cd pac man vs., Shooter - Resident Evil 4, Racing - City Racer, RPG - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Shooter - P.N.03 Product Number, Shooter - Minority Report Everybody Runs, Zelda Twilight Princess, Racing - Freekstyle, Action - Top Gun Combat Zones, Shooter - Dead to Rights, Shooter - Reign of fire, Sport - SSX On Tour, Action - Super Mario Sunshine, Action - One Piece: Grand Adventure, RPG - Baten Kaitos Origins, Action - Mortal Kombat Armageddon, Action - Mortal Kombat: Deception, Sport - Madden NFL: 07, Action - Naruto: Clash of Ninja 2, Action - Gauntlet Dark Legacy, RPG - Tales of Symphonia Arch Wind, Racing - Burnout 2: Point of Impact, Action - Luigi's Mansion, Action - Beyond Good & Evil, Action - Vexx, Action - Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend, RPG - Lost Kingdoms II, Racing - Mario Cart, Racing - NFS Carbon, RTS - Goblin Commander: Unleash The Horde, Port - Odama, Port - Karaoke Revolution Party, Sport - Beach Spikers, Racing - GT Cube, Racing - F1 Career Challenge 2003, Sport - Pool Paradise, Action - Zatch Bell!: Mamodo Fury, Action - Hunter: The Reckoning, RPG - Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Shooter - Cabela's Outdoor Adventure, Sport - SSX 3, Action - Black & Bruised, Action - FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 2 GameCube, Sport - xxx, Sport - Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006, Sport - Poker, Action - SD Gundam Gashapon Wars

Metroid Prime 1 & 2

Yep, and the Wind Waker is the best Zelda game of the last 3 (last 3 non-handheld ones) imho.

The art and music in LoZ:WW was very, very excellent. The soundtrack rivals OOT.

Twilight Princess had one of the coolest dungeons i've seen in a LoZ though. The ice mansion (snow peak?) was a lot of fun.

Buy a Gamecube component cable if you can find one. Some GC games can be ran in progressive scan. The quality can be significantly better. Even for non-progressive scan games, they will look better. compost cables suck (the yellow plug), especially hen you compare them side by side with s-video or component.

In theory a great idea. But they are way too expensive. Better off going with s-video on Gamecube or get a Wii (backward compatible) where component cables are reasonably priced.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=gamecube+component&_sacat=0

$100 or more for a cable? Forget it.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Pretty much any of the first party games will be fun to play

super monkey ball series is fun to play for party type game and so is smash brothers

I also like the Sonic games

In theory a great idea. But they are way too expensive. Better off going with s-video on Gamecube or get a Wii (backward compatible) where component cables are reasonably priced.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=gamecube+component&_sacat=0

$100 or more for a cable? Forget it.

Not to mention that to even use the GC Component cable your cube must be one of the early models with the Digital A/V port.

OP: Both Zelda titles are a must, your woman will enjoy the heck out of Wind Waker for sure.

Smash bros. is pretty much a given especially if you have friends and 4 controllers, but even with just you and the wife it will be a blast.

It's nice to see someone asking about and taking interest in the GC again, it's probably my favorite Nintendo console ever (and I've been around a looooooong time). So much so that I have three of them in the closet and am always looking for good deals on more.

Yeah, gonna grab the Zeldas for sure.

These came today:
UdvC6.jpg

I whole heartedly recommend super monkey ball 1 and 2. Super monkey ball 2 is better though. Super smash brothers.

I didnt see anybody mention F-Zero. Its a pretty fun game, and was made by Sega!

Phantasy Star Episode 1/2 - Great Hack n Slash RPG, up to 4 players, Had some great memories playing this with my friends

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance another good good Co-op hack n slash rpg

What, nobody is going to mention the enhanced version of one of the best games to ever grace the Dreamcast?

Skies of Arcadia Legends!

I just recently won an eBay auction for the game, and even though I already own it on the Dreamcast, I always wanted to get the GameCube version for the new content, tuned down random battles, etc.. I never did buy a GameCube though, and I still down have one. However, I have a Wii and am playing it on that.

Gamecube is awesome, played the shit out of it in college. Mostly we played SSBM but I also enjoyed the Pikmin series and Metroid Prime games. Still have all of those games somewhere.

Oh, FF Crystal Chronicles was a fun game, too.

One regret I have is that I saw Ikaruga for GC at a local (well, local where I used to live) used game shop for like $35 several years ago, and at the time I had little money and thought it was overpriced. I had no idea how rare it is. :(

In addition to what biggles said, you also have to make sure you have a Gamecube that has the proper port. Many of them don't (mine included).

In addition to what biggles said, you also have to make sure you have a Gamecube that has the proper port. Many of them don't (mine included).

Gamecube does have the proper port, but I'm *NOT* spending $100 on that. If I want to spend that much I'll just buy a Wii.

Got an S-Video cable and it looks fine on our bedroom TV (37"). Very happy so far. :D

Picking up most of the games you guys recommended when I see them cheap. We've been having a blast.

I have three favorite GC games that I used to play a lot when I was younger – Luigi’s Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine and Eternal Darkness. The used colors in Super Mario Sunshine are amazing and bright.

One regret I have is that I saw Ikaruga for GC at a local (well, local where I used to live) used game shop for like $35 several years ago, and at the time I had little money and thought it was overpriced. I had no idea how rare it is. :(

Ikaruga used isn't rare. I only got 40 bucks for my copy in like new condition.

Ikaruga for gamecube isn't rare

This is rare *gloat*

11ttmit.jpg

I got 60 for that game. Still not that rare.

I had House of the Dead, Panzer Dragoon 2 and Saga, Burning Rangers, Sonic Jam, Street Fighter Alpha etc. I think I had 36 sega saturn games at one point. Oh I had guardian heroes too.

Saga I got 200 for, but I packed Zewi with it.

Regardless the one game I was surprised that I have sold on eBay that gave me the most money was KOTOR 2. (79.99 used)

There is so much demand for star wars games.

I got 60 for that game. Still not that rare.

I had House of the Dead, Panzer Dragoon 2 and Saga, Burning Rangers, Sonic Jam, Street Fighter Alpha etc. I think I had 36 sega saturn games at one point. Oh I had guardian heroes too.

Saga I got 200 for, but I packed Zewi with it.

Regardless the one game I was surprised that I have sold on eBay that gave me the most money was KOTOR 2. (79.99 used)

There is so much demand for star wars games.

Idk other than my copy Ive never seen another copy of house of the Dead for Sega Saturn. At any particular time there maybe 1 copy on ebay for $90+ if at all (ATM there's no complete copies available online). Technically not as pricey as something like Panzer Dragoon saga but there's tons of copies of that floating around. As far as I can tell you're about as likely to find a copy of House of the dead as you are to see two Native Americans walking down the street in New York.

So far it's the rarest game I've seen. Not price wise but availability. Trying to think if theres anything more rare that isn't a misprint or something doofy like that.

The Kotor 2 thing seems odd. My local Halfpriced books has least 10 copies. all $30 or so. Was it new?

Last edited:
Idk other than my copy Ive never seen another copy of house of the Dead for Sega Saturn. At any particular time there maybe 1 copy on ebay for $90+ if at all (ATM there's no complete copies available online). Technically not as pricey as something like Panzer Dragoon saga but there's tons of copies of that floating around. As far as I can tell you're about as likely to find a copy of House of the dead as you are to see two Native Americans walking down the street in New York.

So far it's the rarest game I've seen. Not price wise but availability. Trying to think if theres anything more rare that isn't a misprint or something doofy like that.

The Kotor 2 thing seems odd. My local Halfpriced books has least 10 copies. all $30 or so. Was it new?

No it was used. I sold KOTOR and my entire 36 game collection of Sega Saturn games back in 2010.

Saga is still rare. And you are right HOTD that you have is rare, just that I didn't get what I expected. It so long ago though. Games like Sonic Jam gave me like 40 bucks.

I was a huge Sega fan. PM me if you want to talk Sega all day!

No it was used. I sold KOTOR and my entire 36 game collection of Sega Saturn games back in 2010.

Saga is still rare. And you are right HOTD that you have is rare, just that I didn't get what I expected. It so long ago though. Games like Sonic Jam gave me like 40 bucks.

I was a huge Sega fan. PM me if you want to talk Sega all day!

Will do. I have a pretty massive fascination with Sega. I feel like they were the last console maker to really have their heart behind their products. Nintendo being right behind them. I love that Nintendo still goes out and makes terrible mistakes. Some people might thats not something to be proud of but it is. Sony and Microsoft have been playing it way too safe and I think people are getting pretty jaded about gaming in general because of it.

back on topic. Have you thought you checked out Resident Evil Zero? It's a single player, but not exactly. There's two controllable characters you switch back and forth from. It just occurred to me that would make for a really fun two-player even if youre just tossing teh joystick back and forth.

Not all Wii can play GameCube games...the newer models have it removed :(

Whoa! Well that sucks, did not know that. Still think component cables for Gamecube are impractical for reasons stated in this thread. S-video is a reasonable compromise between cost and picture quality in this case.

Back