Best Gamecube Games?

Not much that hasn't already been said.

Skies of Arcadia is my favorite RPG on the system...large, fantastic soundtrack, decent difficulty, lots of content, huge map and at least 40 hours of gameplay (I think I was well over 50).

F-Zero GX is one of the more technologically impressive games on the system (30 racers, 60fps, fast gameplay, brutally hard difficulty). I loved the SNES version but didn't care much for the N64 game.

Component cables would be nice, but they're way too pricey. Playing on a Wii nearly eliminates the need for them. The only reason I would consider getting the GC component cables is for the GBA player attachment (which only works with an actual Gamecube). I've read that it serves some benefit there. I feel like the GBA player will be my long term solution for playing GBA games in the future, even though I don't own one yet.

Also, Nintendo still sells brand new Gamecube controllers on their website. A few years ago I bought a couple of N64 controllers from there before they stopped offering them. Still have them sealed in ziplock bags in perfect condition. The controllers don't come in their retail packaging, but are clean with perfect joysticks.

Eternal Darkness immediately comes to mind.

You do realize you can play Gamecube games on a Wii, right? I know, it ain't cube shaped and it isn't the same, but still.

Eternal Darkness immediately comes to mind.

You do realize you can play Gamecube games on a Wii, right? I know, it ain't cube shaped and it isn't the same, but still.

You can't with the newer Wii models.

From what I've been reading, old models are still in production and available in stores.

Kind of makes me glad that I early-adopt most things and jump on bandwagons. :)

(Sometimes...).

Ive heard really great things about Viewtiful Joe. i havent played it, but tt supposedly was one of the best game out for gamecube, Be warned though, most reviews said it was pretty brutal..

Whoa! Well that sucks, did not know that. Still think component cables for Gamecube are impractical for reasons stated in this thread. S-video is a reasonable compromise between cost and picture quality in this case.

If your TV has Scart input, scratch S-Video and buy cheap RGB scart cable from ebay. Practically analog equivalent of Component cable, superior to S-Video because all color signals are on separate pin. BigBen (more common in UK ebay) brand is very good out of the 3rd party ones. Avoid those without label, they are pretty much all thin and poorly shielded and cause noise in the picture. Not sure about Blaze ones.

*edit* Scatch that. RGB scart doesnt work in NTSC Gamecube without modding.

Last edited:
Give Luigi's Mansion a go, its fairly straightforward and fun.

I personally enjoyed the Resident Evil remake. Traditional Resident Evil game that was also very visually appealing. Yes, the camera angles were somewhat to be desired but a great game none the less.

Metroid Prime for sure. Super Smash. Zela's. Nintendo<3

get the gba player a must have if you like gameboy, gameboy color or gameboy advance games. so glad I have 2 sets of component cables for the cube. so I can play my gba games on the tv with component cables. even without component cables gba games look amazing on the tv.

Seriously the gba player is one of the best reasons to own a gamecube and component cables.

both zeldas, metal gear solid twin snakes, resident evil 4, killer 7 (cautiously recommended, not everyone will dig it but I loved it), beyond good and evil, mario sunshine

Definitely a good choice of games here. I actually like Rouge Squadron II as well.

Best purchase I ever made from Gamestop (shock! horror!) was the $5 set of nintendo component cables. Another great purchase was the $10 or $20 GBPlayer.

One of these days I'm gonna have to break out and finish Eternal Darkness. That game, and the GBPlayer+component cable combo are pretty much the only reason I have not bothered to get rid of my GC yet. I also have this converter dongle that takes a SNES controller and plugs it into a GC port. 480p GBA games with an authentic controller FTW :)

To get back on topic, I am not sure there has been mention in here of Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door. Great RPG.

While wer're talking about Gamecube games, where can you get a good 3rd party GC controller? OEM ones are pretty high priced for used/dirty controllers.

Pretty sure they still sell them at Walmart or Target because of the Wii being backwards compatible.

F-Zero
Super Smash Brothers Melee (Side note WAY better than Brawl)
Wind Waker
Freedom Fighters
Tales of Symphonia
Skies of Arcadia

I had to go out of my way to find a Wii that would play gamecube games, the local Gamestop and Wal-mart simply stopped carrying them. Fortunately I found one new on Newegg for a decent price.

I considered buying Gamecube component cables simply because I love the system. The only reason I bought a Wii was to play Gamecube games in progressive scan.. no joke. I might still buy the cables because It's bullshit that I have to use that stupid 'Wiimote' just to start it. "Batteries dead because you haven't used it in 3 months because they constantly have a minor drain and you don't have any AAs handy? HAH! SUCKS TO BE YOU!"

Back