Best game you ever played?

Its not that Final Fantasy 8 was bad, but it was a weak follow up to the greatest game ever created, Final Fantasy 7

i have played and beat FF7.... its a wonderful game but if u think its the best of all time...then u never played system shock 2

if u did.....then you would know FF7 is far from SS2.....

then again SS2 was grim and scary and terrifying ...and FF7 was cartoony and bright n colorful....maybe thats your thing

i have played and beat FF7.... its a wonderful game but if u think its the best of all time...then u never played system shock 2

if u did.....then you would know FF7 is far from SS2.....

then again SS2 was grim and scary and terrifying ...and FF7 was cartoony and bright n colorful....maybe thats your thing

The Only reason is I love a good story, and I dislike First Person Shooters greatly.

RPG: FF7 (yes replayed 5+ times), FF10, FF Tactics (replayed 2+ times), Xenogears

2D Fighter: Street Fighter, Guilty Gears X2, Bloody Roar

PC Games: Diablo II, WoW (quit for 2 years now = going for my 4th consecutive 4.0 GPA)

The Only reason is I love a good story, and I dislike First Person Shooters greatly.

i have a few friends who hate FPS... just like i hate any kind of racing car game

so there really is no ONE greatest game....as we are all differenct

TIE Fighter

It's hard to just pick one game, but if I have to choose one I'd go with TIE Fighter. FIrst game I bought with my own money and it was the first game I played where I was actually the "bad guy." It made me fall in love with flight sim games and it gave me control of the first thing I loved about the Star Wars Universe - the cool looking ships. I still enjoy playing it through DOSBox.

My runner-up's
KOTOR
Red Alert
Diablo 2
Final Fantasy 3/6
Chrono Cross
Any FPS by Valve (but mainly CS and TF2)

Old school: Wizardry (on an Apple IIe)
Old school console: Tecmo Super Bowl
Command and Conquer (console and PC)
Battlefield 1942, 2
KoTOR

Zelda II : The Adventures of Link on the NES, I musta beat that game over 10 times, Always fun fighting my shadow at the end of it.:p

Jagged Alliance 2 : i never had played a game so many times as this one...
Warcraft 2 : first game i ever played...
Metal Gear Solid (series) : simply i just love the story and action..
Red Alert : mostly caus of the soundtrack...
Devil May Cry : make the sickest COMBOS!!!
MECH WARRIOR 2 : this game still kicks any other MECH game!!

one of the best enjoyable game on this moment :
DISGAEA (PSP)
i havent enjoyed a 2D rpg like this in a long long time (SO DAMN FUNNY!)

most memorable games:

-Worms (hehe super sheep :p )
-FF7 (never finished and prob wont ever :S )
-Baldurs Gate 2 (love it still have to finish :( )
-Chrono Trigger (I LOVE IT!!! but still have to finish :( )
-Quake 3 Arena:i can still remember the days my parents go crazy when they see me playing this super fast shooter :p

TIE Fighter

It's hard to just pick one game, but if I have to choose one I'd go with TIE Fighter. FIrst game I bought with my own money and it was the first game I played where I was actually the "bad guy." It made me fall in love with flight sim games and it gave me control of the first thing I loved about the Star Wars Universe - the cool looking ships. I still enjoy playing it through DOSBox.

My runner-up's

KOTOR
Red Alert
Diablo 2
Final Fantasy 3/6
Chrono Cross
Any FPS by Valve (but mainly CS and TF2)

+++ Tie fighter i hate space flying games in general. except Descent Freespace 1&2
. but that was a great game..

In no particular order:

best 5:

loom - play the game then play advanced mode w/ just your ear...still unmatched!
wing commander - amazing game + brought me into PC geekdom w/ my boot disk
wolf3d - UNbelievable in its day
UT - lived the obsession 99-01 (the 01-04ish and still play sometimes)
portal - a triumph of writing and gameplay in a "FPS".

xcom 1/2 ( still played to this day )
Wing Commander 2 ( rest of the series was ok )
Final Fantasy 7
Finaly Fantasy 3/6

I've always thought it was tough to determine the 'best' game. What I try to do is, think about what games I've had the desire to play most/replay the most.

1. Everquest
2. Baldurs Gate 2
3. Half Life 2
4. Baldurs Gate
5. Battlefield 1942 (Desert Combat mod)
6. NFL 2k5
7. Super Mario World
8. Resident Evil 2

Guess it could be more fleshed out but a general idea.

Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising with the IC4 MOD.

Yeah, I know it is an old game but with the WAC scripting language for custom maps anything is possible.

Wasn't expecting this many replies. Definitely giving me some ideas on what I should play next though. Thanks everyone! :D

f.e.a.r.
project stealth fighter (c64)
defender (atari 5200)
temple of asphai (colecovision)
farcry
gunship (c64) (#2 all time fave wore out 5 copies of the 5 1/4" floppy)
super mario world (snes)
mario 64 (N64)
goldeneye (N64)(#1 all time fave)
res evil 4 (gcube)
twisted metal 1 (ps1)
shadows of the empire (N64)
tf2
unreal (original 3d glide)
doom 1 & 2

favorite consoles - n64 and atari 5200
fave machine - c64

Everquest
Rune
Civ series
Simcity series
CoD4
Half Life series
FEAR
WoW
Xwing Tie Fighter
DoTA
Mechwarrior

bah, too many great games. Shame that most of these are older games.

pc - baldurs gate 2
ps1 - FF7
psp - final fantasy tactics
snes - chrono trigger
nes - dragon warrior 4
genesis - who cares
xbox - none that stand out to me
ps2 - so hard...ughhh..hmmm hmm hmm too many great ones, perhaps final fantasy 12....arg too hard!!

Xcom UFO defense
Master of Magic
Master of Orion (1 & 2)

Those 3 titles pwn all!

PS1 - FF7
xbox360 - Bioshock, just started it but it's the best game I won for the 360 by far. Awesome environments, weapons, enemies. Love it.

Doom
Quake Team Fortress
Team Fortress 2
Goldeneye N64
Mario Kart SNES

ROAD RASH ROAD RASH ROAD RASH ROAD RASH ROAD RASH ROAD RASH ROAD RASH ROAD RASH ROAD RASH ROAD RASH ROAD RASH ROAD RASH ROAD RASH ROAD RASH ROAD RASH OR S.T.A.L.K.E.R. OR ROAD RASH ROAD RASH ROAD RASH ROAD RASH

You sir should have been my brother. A brother i would have loved to have.
Road Rash 1&2 on Sega Genesis. Most addicting game ever.

KOTOR
Resident Evil 4
Final Fantasy: Tactics
Half-Life 1
Hitman 1
DOA3
Duke Nukem 3D

silent hill 2
unreal tournament classic
street fighter II turbo
rock band
super castlevania
final fantasy 8

Doom 2 multiplayer (DWANGO)
Counterstrike (Sucked 6 years of my life since Beta 1).
Warcraft 3
C&C 2
Bioshock

Starsiege: Tribes

The community was pretty awesome, the gameplay was and still is unique, and Jetpacks are awesome.

Bubble Bobble
SNES Mario Kart
Street Fighter II
Tie Fighter
C&C Red Alert
Goldeneye
Farcry

pc - baldurs gate series and conquest frontier wars (only played demo but ordered full game on ebay.co.uk today brand new sealed)
ps1 - FF9
ps2- need for speed underground 2 or most wanted
ps3-motor storm
xbox- Halo 2
gamecube-super smash bros
wii-resi evil 4 (I reckon all other games for the wii at the moment suck)
xbox360-lost panet
sega-sonic series
DS-metriod prime corruption

The best game experience I ever had was with Starcraft. At the time, it was a sort of first for me. It allowed you to make your own maps rather easily, and it featured addictive, rather fast paced game play. At the time FPS's just werent as cool or as interesting as they are now either, so I have to say, Starcraft was a sort of 'holy grail' at the time. Im not saying its the best game ever, but it is up there after all, and at the time, it was #1. Thats the game that got me hooked on RTS's.

Otherwise, if I think back to high school, I would have to say the experience I had with Mortal Kombat in the arcade was pretty cool. I was never a street-fighter fan, but MK had what counted for a 16 year old... blood, killing, photo-graphics, twitch-nerve gaming... I remembering being the first to master Sonya (what other guy would want to master the chick after all? but I saw this as an advantage) at that arcade and owning people in person for money in competitions. That experience is pretty hard to beat.

Best game ever? I dont think its been made yet. Im waiting for the point where my three favorite types of game merge into one style: FPS+RTS+Sim/Driver/Pilot. We are coming close to that now with Battlefield, but I think it can go one step further... making what are now NPC's on battlefield's map into controllable characters like with RTS games, but where you can change the scale from the 'god' POV down to controlling a single character like a FPS. You can set up the strategy for the whole board and then in between assume play as one of the individual characters on the map from a FPS POV to make sure critical operations take place, or to turn the tide of what would otherwise happen in a RTS by assuming command of that helecopter, or flying in the B2 bomber yourself to make that accurate bomb strike. Managing a whole team might be a little much, but having a team of a few others at a time vs. a few others on the other team would make it fun. This sort of scaling tactical sim where you could assume global (Sup Com) scale operations all the way through FPS/individual vehicle control (maybe a 'Full Spectrum Warrior' scale in between for squad command) will no doubt happen at some point in the future, and make for one heck of a gaming experience. Assuming control of an individual vehicle, getting killed, and then respawning would be determined by what units the buildings are putting out. Imagine not only telling a space marine where to go with his squad like all the rest, but then actually becoming that marine, trading your MK7 armor for some terminator armor, a cyclone missile pack, dual flamers, and then taking over a land-raider tank, and then being on the front line as the genestealer horde advances against you in a FPS format. That would be quite the experience! WW2 shooters where you are storming the beach for D-day wouldnt hold a candle to this sort of setup. The NPC units you dont directly command would scale their hardness/skill based on the XP they earn from the time you do spend on them one on one, or from the experience you gain for your army as a whole... so in a way, it would be a sort of roll-playing game as well. You could tell the army what buldings to construct, and where, and how to harvest resources (most likely just capture points for resources), and then spend most of your time flying around in a heavy bomber just picking off new enemy buildings, or becoming an sniper and picking off the enemy's commander over and over again.

Seriously, I dont think we have even touched the tip of what the 'best game ever' will be.

Back