Best Fans...battle of the 120mm fans!

Cathar said:
The other thing to be wary of is that with fans they can be somewhat like pumps. Possible for a fan maker to maker a very high cfm/ low noise level fan, but be totally piss-weak the moment it has to push against any form of back-resistance (ie. through a radiator). My experience with the TT thunderblade fans was like this. In open air-flow mode they worked well but the moment I stuck them on a radiator, performance was no better than fans with even 2/3's of the same rated free-air flow rating.

Sticking my hand in front of them, and I could've sworn that the TT thunderblade fans would kick butt, but when push came to shove, they were all show and no go for a radiator application.

The trick again is to know the actual PQ (pressure-flow) curve of the fans. Like the little MCP600 vs the Eheim 1250 water-pumps. The MCP600 has 1/2 the peak flow rating of the Eheim 1250, but as soon as you stick them in anything but extremely low resistance applications, the MCP600 holds its own very well, and even surpasses the Eheim 1250 for moderate resistances and higher.

So again, going by peak air-flow rating can also be a false carrot. Unless the fan is just blowing air into an open room, pressure counts for a lot. A LOT.

based on those facts, which are very valid points btw - which do you think are the best dba vs cfm 120mm's to slap on a radiator? i think you're thinking Yate Loon's/Nexus.

i got the panaflo m1a on my radiator..I like it but it is thicker than normal and loud. I suggest a fan controller with it because then it would be perfect

well - that's what i meant by Best dBA/CFM ... i don't like fan controllers, so a quiet fan with good pressure and cfm is what i see as perfect for my application. Playing around with a 92mm nexus fan i have, i noticed it is indeed very quiet - but really doesn't feel like it's pushing a lot of air once i get it close to the radiator/fan grill.

the panaflo L1A is a nice 92mm fan. That one is quiet and does push air. My Panaflo 120mm M1A is loud(but not as loud as you would think) but pushes air right up there with hurricane Katrina. It does some 86cfm I believe

I got the orange Yate Loons, and there silent unless your ear is within 2" of them. Naturally that I have a silent rig, now I hear my PSU fan moaning. And naturally I just spent a whole weekend doing a wiring job, so that PSU isn't coming out anytime soon. In conclusion, my system sounds the same with Yate Loons off and overvolted... so they rock :)

n64man120 said:
I got the orange Yate Loons, and there silent unless your ear is within 2" of them. Naturally that I have a silent rig, now I hear my PSU fan moaning. And naturally I just spent a whole weekend doing a wiring job, so that PSU isn't coming out anytime soon. In conclusion, my system sounds the same with Yate Loons off and overvolted... so they rock :)

They may be very quiet, but do can they push air under restriction? :).

There only rated at like 50CFM, but I've got 2 mounted to my heatercore shroud, and the exausting end is covered in heavy black mesh, and i feel a good stream of air coming out still. So I'd say yes

Pushing through a radiator, I like the Vantec Stealth. Grommet mounted, it'll be quiet enough that you'll be hearing your PSU and not the cooling solution, and you'll have plenty of *oomph* to get air through that rad.

i have a double heater core right now with a single panaflo M1A at 12v, would two stealths give more performance at of course a quieter noise level? remember key word is quieter, its damn near acceptable with the panaflo at 12v, thats 86 cfm.. stealth is 50 cfm.. 100 cfm doesnt sound like its going to perform any better or does the synergy bonus of cooling both sides of the rad outweigh the lonely m1a with its 86 cfm

alphakry said:
based on those facts, which are very valid points btw - which do you think are the best dba vs cfm 120mm's to slap on a radiator? i think you're thinking Yate Loon's/Nexus.

Best dbA vs pressure vs cfm, would probably have to be the Panaflo L1A's. At 30dBA though they're not exactly quiet except to the deaf.

Best low-noise performance that I've personally experienced in the YateLoon's or the Tricod Science fans. Also sold under various other rebrandings too.

I cannot comment on the Acousifan Dustproofs as I've never directly experienced them head to head with the Panaflo L1As, or the Yate-Loon oem's.

I would say the most silent 120mm fan is the Nexus one.
And the fan wich has most CFM is prolly delta.

Just a heads up folks These babies are dirt cheap right now! $8.99
FAND12SL12_SM.jpg

Damn good price for some quiet 120mm fans! Yate Loons are just color challenged thats all :p
Buy Here

my antec tricools at full speed are quieter then my panaflo but moves just about the same ammount of air and it has a built in speed control full speed, its rated at 30db and 78 cfm,

is it better to pull off a rad or push if your only cooling one side

I say pull but there is a whole thread out there but I cant remember the name.....Do search you should find it. The mass says pull

ooo, cheap yate loons, im on it! thanks for the link. i dont need em now but ima buy for hte future!

GOOD NEWS for any yate loon fan fans out there (lol fan fans)...

They are coming out with a new version of the D12SL-12... in BLACK!!!!

they are being sent to retailers very soon for testing/opinions - and will probably be for sale within the next month or two.

Happy Hopping said:
What is this thread doing in Water cooling for so long?

Well, we all must cool our radiators, no?... ;)

And besides, half the questions I've asked in this thread haven't been answered yet...hehe.

Whats better? those yate loons at 28db @ 47CFM or the Antec Tricools at 30db @ 79CFM?

(numbers are in favor of Antec but they are never accurate, take TT for example)

Im looking at some of these fans to replace the stock fans of the P180.

Antec Tricool

Yate Loons

Coolermaster LEDs

These Coolermaster LED fans look really good. 22db @ 42CFM any info?

well, i have the s12. its pretty quiet yea, only the whoosh of air... will have the YL's as they are on their way here too.... and some folks have said the tri cools are pretty good.

Happy Hopping said:
What is this thread doing in Water cooling for so long?

because it's a very common question and should probably be a sticky. lots of good debate and info in here.

Whats better? those yate loons at 28db @ 47CFM or the Antec Tricools at 30db @ 79CFM?

From experience, i trust the yate loon numbers... i can't say the same for the Antec, as that is quite a lot of air for only 30db.

alphakry said:
because it's a very common question and should probably be a sticky. lots of good debate and info in here.

From experience, i trust the yate loon numbers... i can't say the same for the Antec, as that is quite a lot of air for only 30db.

how about those CM's? they look really nice compared to the YLs. 22db for 42cfm? i should ask dynamix, he used some in his p180

Just wondering if there has been a test of the performance differences in the 25 and 38 mm deep fans. Seem as if the 38's would perform better as radiator fans...

hey all, i need to buy a QUIET 120mm fan to put in my PSU to make it less noisy since its the only audible thing in my case now (boo), so i could buy some more yate loons from case-mod.com but they have the silly molexes attached to their 3-pin connectors so id rather not have to stuff that all into my psu casing (i have a modstream).

the mission if you choose to accept it: tell me where to buy some good quiet 120mm fans, preferably the papst, nexus, yate loon, NOT silenx, any any other ones you know of to be quiet with NO HUMMING noise.

thanks all!

el rolio said:
hey all, i need to buy a QUIET 120mm fan to put in my PSU to make it less noisy since its the only audible thing in my case now (boo), so i could buy some more yate loons from case-mod.com but they have the silly molexes attached to their 3-pin connectors so id rather not have to stuff that all into my psu casing (i have a modstream).

the mission if you choose to accept it: tell me where to buy some good quiet 120mm fans, preferably the papst, nexus, yate loon, NOT silenx, any any other ones you know of to be quiet with NO HUMMING noise.

thanks all!
get out your iron and desoldering braid, take the leads off of the yate loon, take the leads of the fan presently in your PSU, and install the leads from the original fan onto the yate loon, so that it will run off the PSU's internal fan control circuitry.

the original leads also most likely have a heat-protective sleeve on them, just to make sure that the insulation doesn't burn on a hot mosfet, and short things out.

iron and soldering braid? huh what? dont have none of that there

what about faaaanssss? i need to buy. the yate loons i have are on my rad now

el rolio said:
iron and soldering braid? huh what? dont have none of that there

what about faaaanssss? i need to buy. the yate loons i have are on my rad now
well, it was DEsoldering braid that i mentioned, however if you don't know how to solder....never mind then.

just keep in mind that the fan connectors inside PSUs are typically NOT normal 3 pin fan, or 4 pin molex, meaning that you either need to do a quick bit of soldering to use the internal header, or route cables to the outside of the PSU to plug into a normal molex outside.

oh wow. hmm this complicates things then. what do you mean by routing cables outside of the psu exactly? if you dont mind to explain further

el rolio said:
oh wow. hmm this complicates things then. what do you mean by routing cables outside of the psu exactly? if you dont mind to explain further
find or make a suitable hole in the PSU housing and pull the fan cable through it, so that you can plug the fan into a normal 4 pin molexc, or one of the fan headers on the mobo.

ahh duh, simple enough. or even onto my fan controller maybe? heh

then technically i could use any one of these replaced 120mm fans i have here, even the vantec stealth. is that fan better when it gets less volts? cuz it definatley was louder than say the coolermaster s12 AND tek chain.

el rolio said:
but back to the original issue: where to guy some good 120mm fans?!
closest thing to that i saw a week or two ago in the forums, the dude used rubber bands to suspend the fan in the air :p

i get the impression its one of the others under a diff name, like how papst has multi names sometimes.... but thats just a guess

Silent Assasin said:
has anyone used or tried Nidec before????

Nidec A34341 120x25mm, from el rolio's webiste sounds pretty good, but I've never really heard much from Nidec....
vantec re-brands them and sells them as their "stealth" series.

they have problems with being really loud, if they have been dropped/mishandled (in shipping or otherwise) as a result of them having really loose hubs, that can move and smash the bearings out of shape in response to a sharp jolt.

Back