Best Fans...battle of the 120mm fans!

Any word on those Black Yate Loons?

BTW, Cathar responded back but I threw my back out this past weekend so I haven't gotten to the Post Office yet. I'll get there tomorrow if I have to crawl!

Cathar said:
Have been searching and searching on-line for anyone who's done a direct comparison between the AcoustiFan DustProof fans, which are heavily rumoured to just be rebadged Adda water-proof (IP15 = some industry rating term) rated fans that have been resistorised (ala like the Nexus fans are resistorised Yate-Loon's), and looking for a direct comparison against the ~1350RPM Yate-Loon's, which are the ones that I use (except here in Australia they're sold as Tricod Science - exact same fan) and can be bought for ~$5 each.

Thought I might help out as I can give you the numbers cast on the fan:

80mm & 120mm: >PBT-(GF30)< although this appears to be a spec for plastic material of some type. The only other numbers are the AF model numbers.

They have a fairly thick metal slug that is attached to the fan housing where the wires go into the motor. If you don't use a fan gasket it will not sit flat. :( The one thing I thought was odd is that the boxes do not have the country of origin on it anywhere even though it supposedly comes from the UK.

WarlordBB said:
Any word on those Black Yate Loons?

BTW, Cathar responded back but I threw my back out this past weekend so I haven't gotten to the Post Office yet. I'll get there tomorrow if I have to crawl!

Some of you might have mentioned that it is VETERAN'S DAY and that the PO is closed. :eek:

So tomorrow it gets shipped.

Now who's gonna find out about the black Yate Loons. I just can't handle the orange. Everything in Tennessee is already orange anyway. I love UT Vols and all (actually just saying that so I won't get shot) but I'm not about to start putting orange components in my system.

WarlordBB said:
Some of you might have mentioned that it is VETERAN'S DAY and that the PO is closed. :eek:

So tomorrow it gets shipped.

Now who's gonna find out about the black Yate Loons. I just can't handle the orange. Everything in Tennessee is already orange anyway. I love UT Vols and all (actually just saying that so I won't get shot) but I'm not about to start putting orange components in my system.
You should have known that already.................... :cool:

Whats everyone's opinion on the 120mm Sanyo Denki's? I had heard they were optimal for watercooling as their pressure ratings are high enough for restricted environments, yet the Dba is realatively low. Anyway, I managed to grab a couple cases and have extras if anyone needs some (also got a case of the Yate Loons beofre they sold out)
Link:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=974021

Bio-Hazard said:
You should have known that already.................... :cool:

Yeah, I was joking. But you're right, I should have known.

God bless to the veterans, past and present, that have and will volunteer to stand between my family and those that would do them harm!

I wasn't trying to be mean or nasty or anything, it just that so many people forget these things these days, and they shouldn't IMHO. But hey, I'm a 20 year Army Vet and I sort of follow these things....................... :eek:

jesus man, i JSUT ordered from jab tech then all of a sudden they got all this new shizz in. oh well here we go again. still need my lo pro maze block

Im digging these aluminum Coolermasters as seen here . Specs on these fans are awesome, 56CFM at 23dba. 38mm thick and each fan weighs a whopping 420 grams :D

fullrad.jpg

Does anyone know where to buy these CoolerMaster 120mm aluminium fans in the UK? Been googling for ages but can't find them!

Looks like I need to order them from www.ichbinleise.de in Germany! That link should hopefully be a translation of the page. The site says the fans are 25mm thick, but they are actually 38mm.

I normally wouldn't bother ordering from another country, but these work out at £12 each excluding postage, so worth it!

Any more thoughts on the "best of the 120mm fans" ? Do people rate the TT fans? I know that the general consensus is that their noise ratings do not reflect reality, but if they were on a fan controller, do they offer good CFM per DBA or is there better around?

Thanks
Bigweed

Top Nurse said:
So whatever happened with those AcoustiFans that got sent to Cathar?

First, it was never "those", it was just "that". :)

Second, I wasn't going to admit that I lost it, until I found it. So, I lost it. :eek:

But now I've found it (of all places, where it should be) and I'm shipping it and a black Yate Loon off to him tomorrow.

I'll post back tomorrow after I send it off.

WarlordBB said:

Second, I wasn't going to admit that I lost it, until I found it. So, I lost it. :eek:

But now I've found it (of all places, where it should be) and I'm shipping it and a black Yate Loon off to him tomorrow.

tsk tsk tsk! :p

fans on both sites of a rad i personaly think itsnt very efficiant

nikhsub1 said:
Im digging these aluminum Coolermasters as seen here . Specs on these fans are awesome, 56CFM at 23dba. 38mm thick and each fan weighs a whopping 420 grams :D

fullrad.jpg

turbolude said:
fans on both sites of a rad i personaly think itsnt very efficiant
you don't really need to say that you "think" it, when you can simply link it.....and correct spelling is your friend.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1155/

however, if you fire up his homepage and have a look at his builds, i think that you'll realize that efficiency is the last thing on his mind.

Actually, it IS more efficient. What you mean is you think it isn't more effctive? Push /pull is better than push or pull alone, there is no doubt, as to how much better is up for debate. The other thing to consider is reducing fan speed... I can run these suckers at 5-6v and have the performance of just 3 fans at 12v. Get it now? I have the room so I do push / pull.

nikhsub1 said:
Actually, it IS more efficient. What you mean is you think it isn't more effctive? Push /pull is better than push or pull alone, there is no doubt, as to how much better is up for debate. The other thing to consider is reducing fan speed... I can run these suckers at 5-6v and have the performance of just 3 fans at 12v. Get it now? I have the room so I do push / pull.

hahah im with you on that buddy. 5v/6v for the win! im about to add more fans to my rad SPECIFICALLY for that reason

WarlordBB said:

Pics before you ship?

nikhsub1 said:
ehm, if you actually read the linked article:

push-pull fans: double the noise
push-pull fans: 50% increase in airflow
push-pull fans: 20% increase in cooling performance

so, i believe the point is that if you can get a given CFM from fans on one side, then you are going to come out ahead in the performance per noise game.

adding fans does give a performance boost, just not as good as running stronger fans on one side. i ran push-pull for a while, as a stop-gap measure. i don't deny the performance gain for an instant. it's calling it efficient that i'm disagreeing with.

DFI Daishi said:
ehm, if you actually read the linked article:

push-pull fans: double the noise
push-pull fans: 50% increase in airflow
push-pull fans: 20% increase in cooling performance

so, i believe the point is that if you can get a given CFM from fans on one side, then you are going to come out ahead in the performance per noise game.

adding fans does give a performance boost, just not as good as running stronger fans on one side. i ran push-pull for a while, as a stop-gap measure. i don't deny the performance gain for an instant. it's calling it efficient that i'm disagreeing with.
pHaestus' numbers on the subject show otherwise, a difference for sure but not as much as JoeC's do. See here: http://phaestus.procooling.com/shrouds-BIX.GIF

nikhsub1 said:
pHaestus' numbers on the subject show otherwise, a difference for sure but not as much as JoeC's do. See here: http://phaestus.procooling.com/shrouds-BIX.GIF
not trying to be dense....."efficiency" is a something per something rating.

i'm not seeing an improvement in efficiency in terms of performance per noise.

performance per noise is how i usually think about radiator and fan ratings, for myself.

pHastus' numbers don't say a thing about noise.

nikhsub1 said:
DFI I think we both are in agreement, just stating it differently is all.
you say it improves performance. you say it improves efficiency.

i say it improves performance. i say that it does not improve efficiency, if efficiency is defined in terms of cooling performance per noise level.

and for the love of god, don't call me DFI. i know you are new here, and don't know the history, but if you want to shorten my handle, please shorten it to daishi.......100 tonnes of clanner fury......as opposed to DFI......the motherboard manufacturer with whom i have had the worst experience.

DFI Daishi more or less litteral translation = DFI big death.

that is about how i feel about them, and the name has a lovely vodoo background behind it as well.

hahah this is a problem we have all the time DD..... heh cuz i did it too and honestly when i think it in my head and get ready to type, the short part of your name gets me too. but i understand it... i mean bac in my early CS days guys used to refer to me by clan name... which was the first in a 2 part name, and i would correct them or not. but then again i loved my clan, you hate dfi...

oh that reminds me, time to update the sig

DFI Daishi said:
you say it improves performance. you say it improves efficiency.

i say it improves performance. i say that it does not improve efficiency, if efficiency is defined in terms of cooling performance per noise level.

and for the love of god, don't call me DFI. i know you are new here, and don't know the history, but if you want to shorten my handle, please shorten it to daishi.......100 tonnes of clanner fury......as opposed to DFI......the motherboard manufacturer with whom i have had the worst experience.

DFI Daishi more or less litteral translation = DFI big death.

that is about how i feel about them, and the name has a lovely vodoo background behind it as well.
Yeah sure whatever. If I'm new, how is my join date before yours?

Niksub1 is older than I am, and my first account here was a 2001. He's ain't no sprat and the fact that you don't know who he is is just a sign of your own noobitude. :rolleyes:

EnJoY120 said:
Niksub1 is older than I am, and my first account here was a 2001. He's ain't no sprat and the fact that you don't know who he is is just a sign of your own noobitude. :rolleyes:
i quite frankly don't give two shits how old or young he is. given how rarely he posts, and the long hiatus between his first activating this account and his most recent series of posts, i don't think that my own little slip up anything other than understandable.

i was willing to crack a joke about it and leave it at that.

so, did you have anything to say about fans or the use of push-pull vs single side, or are you just coming on-stream to be a jackass?

You need to go other places than [H] forums my friend, there's a whole other world out there...

Wait...I take that back. With that attitude you wouldn't get very far. Hopefully I won't see ya around.

EnJoY120 said:
You need to go other places than [H] forums my friend, there's a whole other world out there...

Wait...I take that back. With that attitude you wouldn't get very far. Hopefully I won't see ya around.
i don't know if applying the term jackass in this case is the pot calling the kettle black or it isn't...........pompus callinlling the jack......hmm.........maybe that comes close.

there isn't much of an overclocking or cooling in my neck of the woods, which limits me to online forums if i want to discuss my hobby. i happen to like the way that [H] reviews hardware, and they are setting up a pretty credible cooling testbed. so i choose to hang in [H] forums.

as for where either you or he are pointing out problems with what i am saying about the topic presently under discussion in these last few posts......all that i'm seeing are personal attacks.

you want to prove me wrong? fine, do so. do the research, get the numbers, post the links, write the articles, whatever. i will read, and learn.

you want to make personal attacks against me? keep it to the hardware or use PM jackass. this is a forum about hardware.

It makes it hard to stay on topic when the person you are 'debating' with so to speak, is repeatedly calling you a jackass. But yea, I agree with everything nikhsub1 says. Now we're back on topic.

... and on that note, back on topic.

Acoustifan dust proof... got 2 sitting right here... AFDP-12025 12V 0.13A

I also have 3 Papst 4412 F/2GL 105mA 1.25W

3 Papst 4412 F/2GLL 12V 60mA 0.72W

3 SilenX (not newest revision) 12V 0.05A-0.07A

2 x Panaflo FBA12G12M in my other rig

Y.S. Tech FD1212257S-1I 12V 5.52W

Out of all of them, I personally use 2 x Papst GLs on my Thermochill rad and 3 x Papst GLLs on my Evo360 rad.

I would say that the Papst were the best from a noise vs. performance viewpoint (hence why I only use papst in my personal main system).

They, out of all the fans are the only ones to actually work at 3V as well... using a rheobus (not WPM but linear)... they were the only ones to provide a stable 'spin' and air flow (however small) and not start ticking or stalling.

And they are absolutely silent at 3V... at 12V they fan wind noise, but no spin noise.

But I do admit they are not the most powerful of the fans I have got.

The acoustifan dust-proofs make an aweful racket at 12V (hence why they give you a resistor in-line connector), and they will stall at low voltages.

If noise is a priority, stick with papst imo, they are pricey (i had to import a few of mine because stock was limited in the UK, I bought the last lot apparently) but they are worth it.

Not even the silenx beat it imo, and none of the others is quieter even at 5V... but the others would beat it in airflow at 7V... some fans at 5V would stall and tick (silenx.. acoustifan is borderline but is ok, panaflo works, but still has motor noise.)

The acoustifan, based on observation emits a lot more noticeable mechanical noise than a papst GL (which is more wind noise) but creates the same amount of flow as a GL at 12V.

The Silenx is louder by far than both the GL and the Acoustifan Dust-proof but it also creates the most airflow too. At 7V... it is still quiet noisy but still keeps good flow... although for no noise, it'll need to be volted down even more I find and that means a narrow band range for a 'low noise' application which I found unacceptable.

The Panaflo is a monster... both in noise and power... but at 5V, whilst it still emits a mechanical hum.. it keeps the flow very well.

right-o.

on topic: when volted down to 5-6 volts how do those evercool Al fans do in terms of noise? any bearing noise or electronic whine, as can sometimes happen when undervolting fans? (eg. panaflo)

they DO have a pretty good rating at 12V, just wondering how they undervolt.

Back