Best Fans...battle of the 120mm fans!

J-Pepper said:
The panaflo, like I said previous post, the panaflo works well with a linear rheo (not so good with a PWM one.. spins up and down) but there is a noticeable mechanical noise (motor whine/electrical).
i actually typed that out before your post came up. my comment was based on previous posts, and my question was directed at nikhsub1.

my own panaflo fans have been very good to me: run them directly off of the 12V rail and there is not a bit of bearing noise out of these babys. i don't know if i'm deaf from my time with my delta FFB or if i just got some good panaflo 120s.

DFI Daishi said:
i actually typed that out before your post came up. my comment was based on previous posts, and my question was directed at nikhsub1.

my own panaflo fans have been very good to me: run them directly off of the 12V rail and there is not a bit of bearing noise out of these babys. i don't know if i'm deaf from my time with my delta FFB or if i just got some good panaflo 120s.

Yeah, i just realised and edited my previous post.

We run a pair of these panaflos on a thermochill HE120.2, and it needs to be run at 5-7V most of the time as the noise at 12V, whilst not totally unbearable is too loud for our liking... I can hear it from the next room.

But under-volted, apart from the low mechanical noise, it's absolutely fine and with decent flow... perfect for those who like the extra ooomph and don't care about the noise penalty when they need it.

J-Pepper said:
Acoustifan dust proof... got 2 sitting right here... AFDP-12025 12V 0.13A
I run three of these in my case and really like them although I agree about the wind noise.

/off topic: DFI does need a break from this forum as he is very much on attack mode. :)

what this forum needs is less noobs... too many good people got banned and the forums being overun by noobs:rolleyes:

I was going to run the Mechatronics 120's in all the other places for my case, not on the rad. They are rated at 55CFM and 25dba but I think the 25dba rating is well, generous at best. I ordered some of the black and white Nexus' which claim to be 37CFM and 22dba, hope those specs are true, I dont want to have to run the non rad fans on a a controller.

ryuji said:
what this forum needs is less noobs... too many good people got banned and the forums being overun by noobs:rolleyes:

Where'd that come from? Everywhere I go I see the same... (no not HO)

People always bitch about noobs on forums.. Guess what? More people are born every day. = More Noobs

personally I prefer boobs so talk about them because neither are going away. (especially in LA)

nikhsub1 said:
I was going to run the Mechatronics 120's in all the other places for my case, not on the rad. They are rated at 55CFM and 25dba but I think the 25dba rating is well, generous at best.
ah well. any comment on the noises that they make when you've undervolted them?

nikhsub1 said:
I ordered some of the black and white Nexus' which claim to be 37CFM and 22dba, hope those specs are true, I dont want to have to run the non rad fans on a a controller.
given what they rate for @12, it's ballpark at least.......

http://www.yateloon.com/style/conte...tomer_id=1356&name_id=31277&rid=8511&id=38837
http://www.nexustek.nl/120mmcasefan.htm

in case anyone was curious.

DFI Daishi said:
ah well. any comment on the noises that they make when you've undervolted them?
I've not undervolted them at all... I ran one at 12v and it was just too loud for my liking. If it were just ONE in the case, it'd be fine, but I will have 6 :eek:

WarlordBB said:
First, it was never "those", it was just "that". :)

Second, I wasn't going to admit that I lost it, until I found it. So, I lost it. :eek:

But now I've found it (of all places, where it should be) and I'm shipping it and a black Yate Loon off to him tomorrow.

I'll post back tomorrow after I send it off.

Ten days later...

FINALLY shipped off to Cathar.

WarlordBB said:
Ten days later...

FINALLY shipped off to Cathar.

...and I have them in my hot hands as of yesterday afternoon.

Physical inspection wise, the Yate-Loon's are identical in every respect to the Tricod Science fans I rave about. The Tricod science fans are obviously from an older or copied injection mold (copied most likely) and so are not as clean looking as the Yate Loon's, but other than this, they are identical in most every way apart from the label and the power cord. Thr Tricod's just have a 3-pin connector only.

The Acoustifan Dustproof is heavier. Much heavier and more sturdily built, even though it is a 25mm fan just like the Yate Loon. The scales confirm it too. 112g (4.0oz) for the Tricod, sans power-cord assembly, and 182g (6.5oz) for the Acoustifan, sans power cord assembly.

Okay, plug the Yate-Loon in. Pushes are and sounds just like the Tricods. A quiet, medium pitched chopping of the air noise when the ear is right up near the fan blades, but back at 3'/1m distance the fan is barely audible above back-ground day-time ambient noise levels, and I live in a quiet neighbourhood. Sure, you'd hear it quite well in the dead of night, but it's still a very quiet fan as 12cm fans go. Best of all, it has very minimal motor/bearing noise, just like the Tricods, and when under-volted you have to struggle to hear the bearing tick from with 4"/10cm distance even in a very quiet room.

Okay, the moment I've been waiting for arrives. Time to plug in this Acoustifan Dustproof. *whirrrr* *drone* What?! People call this thing quiet??!?

Don't get me wrong, the Acoustifan is not Delta loud. It's just after hearing so much about it, I had actually started to believe that it may actually be a competent challenger to the Yate-Loon's, and I'm sorry to say that it's not even close, not even within a country mile. At 12v it has a strong air-chopping noise (for a "low noise" fan), and a lot of bearing/motor drone. I put the Acoustifan onto a lab-bench regulated voltage controlled power supply (NOT PWM based) and started turning the voltage down until I thought the two fans were about as loud as each other from 30cm (1') distance. The Yate-Loon has its quiet medium-pitched chopping air-noise, and the air-noise of the Acoustifan slowly lessened such that it could not be heard above the Yate-Loon, but the motor/bearing drone remained. It was a tough call, because the pitch of the two noises are different, but I settled on the Acoustifan at 7.5-8.0v as being about as loud as the Yate-Loon at 12v.

Needless to say, at 12v, the Yate-Loon was blowing much more air-flow than the Acoustifan was managing.

At 12v, the Acoustifan has decent air-flow. Definitely more than the Yate-Loon. I'd say about 20% more, and the spec sheets would seem to confirm that on-hands feeling. ~47CFM vs ~56CFM.

I'm going to stick the Acoustifan onto a couple of radiators here and assess its performance relative to the Yate-Loon's at 12v, 7v, and 5v. I can tell you right now that from a pure noise level perspective, the Yate-Loon wins hands-down. Not even close. I can hear the Acoustifan droning away in the back-ground, 1 meter from me, and at 12v clearly louder than everything else in my entire room put together. Even at 7v I wouldn't call it quiet (I undervolt my Tricod's too), and at 5v its air-flow is absolutely pathetic, and still far noiser than a Tricod at 7v, and the Tricod even at 5v is pushing more air than the Acoustifan, let alone at 7v.

I noticed that choppy sound as well, but since I wasn't planning on ever running at 12 volts I figured it wasn't a problem. So are these Yate-Loons available in black?

Top Nurse said:
I noticed that choppy sound as well, but since I wasn't planning on ever running at 12 volts I figured it wasn't a problem. So are these Yate-Loons available in black?

The Yate Loon he's referring to is the Black $6.99 variety. I purchased it and 9 of it's brothers from Jab-tech (meaning I paid $4.99 each for them).

Link here:

http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-120mm-Case-Fan-D12SL-12-pr-3009.html

Disclaimer: Jab-tech only gives me 5% commission.

j/k

well this is a great thread i'd like to ask if there has been a conclusion or a list of the 120mm fans for different apps made yet from the results here?

silent
low noise but moing
mid noise and fairly nice airflow
mid-high noise and very good airflow
noise isnt a problem all i want is a turbo jet!

also maybe like ones atht are good with undervolting and ones that we should stay away from

What about fans that is quite and efficient on fan controllers but can kick but if you turn them up? (Without going for totally unbearable :D)

oqvist said:
What about fans that is quite and efficient on fan controllers but can kick but if you turn them up? (Without going for totally unbearable :D)

Possibly the Made-in-Japan (as opposed to China) Panaflo H1A suits that role best. Very quiet when turned down, but still has an audible motor bearing drone/tick. Depends on your definition of quiet. Sadly, all of the stronger fans have that drone/tick because of their heavier weight and construction required to deal with their normal high-speed mode.

The 104CFM SanAce fans also vie for top honours with the Panaflo H1A in such a role as well. Some would say even better, but I personally have had no direct experience with both side-by-side.

Sometimes you wish there was a hardware site or something that recorded fans they review. Would be very helpful really. I think I will go for a panaflo or something for my Ninja at least. Would be nice on a fan controller to have it turn down watching movies and then turn up on demand when gaming :). Noise bother me less when gaming especially since I have noise cancelling headphones

oqvist said:
Would be nice on a fan controller to have it turn down watching movies and then turn up on demand when gaming :). Noise bother me less when gaming especially since I have noise cancelling headphones

They already make such a fan controller.

Yes I know thus I ask for fans that is suitable for them ;). I have already found several...

Back on the subject of Accoustifans I am wodering if you (Cathar) tested them just sitting there or bolted to a radiator? While I mentioned also hearing the odd sound when just hooking them up free I did notice that sound disappeared after I hooked it up to a radiator.

AcoustiFan @5 - 67°C / 34dBA
Papst @ 12 - 55°C / 40dBA

seems the Papst does push more air :)

Top Nurse said:
I feel vindicated as no one would believe me that the Acoustifan Dustproof put out more air at 5v than the the Papst did at 12v. :D

No ... the Acostifan pushes as much air as the Papst @ 7.5V and 12V respectively.

You can read, right ?

I love my pair of black yate loons. Dead quiet. And I only paid $9 shipped. I can't hear them and I'm about 6 in. away from them.

I bought a silverstar fan from fry's its ugly and its white but its the only quiet 120 I have actually felt the air pushing off from it onto my components.

S-FLEX™ is SONY corp patented bearing technology.
120mm Fan with 150,000 hrs long life

Model # Dimensions Fan Speed Fan Noise Air Flow Rated Current Sku#

SFF21D 120x120x25mm 800rpm 8.7dBA 33.5CFM 0.10A 840556025443

SFF21E 120x120x25mm 1,200rpm 20.1dBA 49.0CFM 0.15A 840556025450

SFF21F 120x120x25mm 1,600rpm 28.0dBA 63.7CFM 0.20A 840556025467

ENERMAX
Model# UC-12AEBS
Bearing Type Ball
Noise Level (dBA) 16 - 37
Speed Range (RPM) 1000 - 2400
Airflow (CFM) 26.9 - 83.4
Size (120 x 120 x 25 mm

I have the black 120mm Silverstones and they are decent but I want more air pushed.

MC FLMJIG said:
S-FLEX™ is SONY corp patented bearing technology.
120mm Fan with 150,000 hrs long life

Model # Dimensions Fan Speed Fan Noise Air Flow Rated Current Sku#

SFF21D 120x120x25mm 800rpm 8.7dBA 33.5CFM 0.10A 840556025443

SFF21E 120x120x25mm 1,200rpm 20.1dBA 49.0CFM 0.15A 840556025450

SFF21F 120x120x25mm 1,600rpm 28.0dBA 63.7CFM 0.20A 840556025467

ENERMAX
Model# UC-12AEBS
Bearing Type Ball
Noise Level (dBA) 16 - 37
Speed Range (RPM) 1000 - 2400
Airflow (CFM) 26.9 - 83.4
Size (120 x 120 x 25 mm

I have the black 120mm Silverstones and they are decent but I want more air pushed.

i bought some of those scythe fans and will be testing them this weekend.
Check out my thread on fans to see results when i get em in.

Everyone has differing opinions on the Panaflos but there are many different panaflo models... I have some L1A's while not compleatly dead slient there are other things in my room that are much louder than these even when they are at full volume, like my fire belly toads (noisy little frogs) or my mini fridge, or a cricket, hell even my laptop can be louder sometimes...

And there is a website that records the fans they review and play back clips for people who want to hear them, I just can't think of it right now.

Back