Best Fans...battle of the 120mm fans!

hey DFI dude, things looking up! check this out:

PCB-detail.jpg

taken from this modstream review on SCPR

which means i can use a neat fan header inside the psu. the question is what do i do with the fan i take out? simply cut the fan cables and then just wrap individually with electrical tape? it seems the native fan isnt plugged into here? or would i just get one of those papst fans that dont even have headers then twist red to red and black to black and seal with some heatshrink?

lemme know. im also gonna see if i can find a sticky over at scpr forums that explains how to get as much info as possible.

random quiet fan post:
mnpctech selling the TekChain 120 led fan

now ive shown pics of this lil blue and black knob on the hiddden side of my drive bays, and its for the only led fan in my machine, the intake tek chain that was cooling my 2 hdds VERY quietly at about 35 deg each. (i somehow have messed it up pluggin into the aerogate and now its not even LED active and temps are up to 45 idle on hdds - will fix this weekend)

so thats a good link to see it. it has absolutely NO fan noise and really is a lovely fan to use. i got mine from SVC.com originally.
though it mightn ot push as much AIR as some of the rare quiet fans, it does have very good airflow when fully dialed down.

el rolio said:
hey DFI dude, things looking up! check this out:

*snip*

which means i can use a neat fan header inside the psu. the question is what do i do with the fan i take out? simply cut the fan cables and then just wrap individually with electrical tape? it seems the native fan isnt plugged into here? or would i just get one of those papst fans that dont even have headers then twist red to red and black to black and seal with some heatshrink?

lemme know. im also gonna see if i can find a sticky over at scpr forums that explains how to get as much info as possible.
ehm, if you want to shorten it, shorten it to Daishi.

as for the rest of it, see those three, two pin headers? those are the connectors that i was talking about most PSUs using. the pre-installed fan is using two direct wires......but you need to do more than twist wires together to call them secured, and you need to put more on them than electrical tape to call them insulated.

this is getting farther and farther from the subject of the best 120mm fans. if you want to learn about PSU modding, start a fresh thread here and/or in PSUs.

SignalSoldier said:
Just a heads up folks These babies are dirt cheap right now! $8.99
FAND12SL12_SM.jpg

Damn good price for some quiet 120mm fans! Yate Loons are just color challenged thats all :p
Buy Here

Even cheaper here if you buy more than one. $5.99 each when you buy more than one...add to cart and then change quantity to change from regular price
Cheaper by the pair

Keep them rads cool folks!

What about the ones here ? They look nice and I've heard lots of good things about the SilenX fans.

headala said:
What about the ones here ? They look nice and I've heard lots of good things about the SilenX fans.
heard it from who?

yeah, their stuff is quiet, however they measure noise with the mic much farther away from the fan than the major manufacturers. the net result is that if you compare their numbers to anyone else's, you're not doing full justice to the competition.

everything else that they make is a re-brand of someone else's stuff, and those blades look mighty familiar..........

good news! i will be getting a couple of the Black Yane Loons for testing within the next week or 2.... i will post pics and reviews here - and point you guys in the right direction of purchasing them! :)

Maybe you can organize a group buy for them :D

BTW, I ordered my kit tonight. Thanks again. :cool:

There isn't any "one" greastest fan...............;) even for the OP. All depends on what it's going to be use for and at what time, and that seems to be ever changing..................:)

cnick79 said:
It's true. I believe it and so should you.
Negative.

It's a great fan on low and medium, but high-speed is just way too loud. My 92mm Panaflo Medium puts out 30dBA... and it is quieter than my 120mm Tricool at high-speed. I generally regard Panaflos as being reasonably accurate in terms of rated noise output.

my M1A's are still too loud at 7v. i have to get another fan controller that has the ability to smoothly adjust from damn near off to full speed. why is it so hard to get quiet computing... and overclocking? heh

i got it before and it came as yate loon, not young lin tech. same construction as the nexus fan but just in black and rpm at 1650 at 12volts.

Have been searching and searching on-line for anyone who's done a direct comparison between the AcoustiFan DustProof fans, which are heavily rumoured to just be rebadged Adda water-proof (IP15 = some industry rating term) rated fans that have been resistorised (ala like the Nexus fans are resistorised Yate-Loon's), and looking for a direct comparison against the ~1350RPM Yate-Loon's, which are the ones that I use (except here in Australia they're sold as Tricod Science - exact same fan) and can be bought for ~$5 each.

The 1350rpm Yate-Loon's are officially rated at 47cfm and 28dBA. Having directly experienced the fans (multiples of them) then a 22-23dBA rating would be more fair in comparison to other fan manufacturers, and I tend to use the Panaflo L1A (69cfm/30dBA) as a central reference point. Quite easily it takes 5-6 of the Yate-Loon's at once (@ 12v) to equal the same noise level as the Panaflo L1A (@12v).

The Acoustifan DustProofs are rated at 56.3CFM / 24.7dBA, but the issue here is, as always, where does that 24.7dBA fall in relation to the sorts of noise that other fans make. No two fan manufacturers measure dBA in the exact same fashion, or they might do so, but there'll always be per-testbed variations.

I tend to be highly skeptical of anything that's out of the ordinary. In my experience, I have yet to experience ANY fan that in actuality & use, beats the following fan/noise ratios:

35cfm / 18dBA
40cfm / 20dBA
47cfm / 23dBA
55cfm / 26dBA
62cfm / 28dBA
69cfm / 30dBA
75cfm / 32dBA
81cfm / 34dBA
87cfm / 36dBA
96cfm / 39dBA
105cfm / 42dBA
110cfm / 44dBA
115cfm / 46dBA

When any manufacturer claims higher cfm for less noise than listed above, my first reaction is "complete lies" unless someone can prove otherwise in a direct comparison.

In fact, given all the information I have, these AcoustiFan DustProofs appear to be, in terms of noise/flow/rpm, to be acting much like anyone would expect slightly sped-up YateLoon's (+15% rpm) to act. Therefore I would very much like to know of a direct side-by-side comparison between the two.

Well I never tried the Yate-Loons so I can't give you an opinion. However, I checked them by ear against the Papst 4412 FGLL and they were noticeable quieter at 12 volts. They also seemed to put out more air at 7 volts than the Papst did at 12 volts. I can't give you a quantifiable figure as I used my tactile sensors. ;)

Top Nurse said:
Well I never tried the Yate-Loons so I can't give you an opinion. However, I checked them by ear against the Papst 4412 FGLL and they were noticeable quieter at 12 volts. They also seemed to put out more air at 7 volts than the Papst did at 12 volts. I can't give you a quantifiable figure as I used my tactile sensors. ;)

Hmm, given that Papst/EBM is a highly respected fan manufacturer, and rates the 4412FGL @ 55cfm @ 12v, and the Dustproofs are rated at 56cfm @ 12v, I'm must admit to feeling as though your tactile senses are letting you down.

Cathar said:
Hmm, given that Papst/EBM is a highly respected fan manufacturer, and rates the 4412FGL @ 55cfm @ 12v, and the Dustproofs are rated at 56cfm @ 12v, I'm must admit to feeling as though your tactile senses are letting you down.

They got them listed here as only being 40 CFM. :confused:

Top Nurse said:
They got them listed here as only being 40 CFM. :confused:

My mistake, thought you meant the FGL, and not the FGLL.

At 7.5v, the Dustproof's are rated at 41.5cfm, so seems about right.

Papst's tend to have a fair amount of annoying bearing drone I found, which isn't something that seems to "show up" in their dBA ratings, making them seem louder than than perhaps their dBA rating suggests. The Yate-Loon's have almost silent bearings in comparison. Need to have the Yate-Loon's at least at 7v, and your ear within 2" to heat the bearing "tick". Any higher than that and the noise of the rushing air tends to drown it out.

Am just trying to get a handle on some sort of justification for me to blow $50AUD on a fan when an $8 AUD fan seems to be doing the job mightily well.

my panaflo really sucks... or does it blow!?? gaahhhhh, I can never tell!

water1.JPG

by its self, its nice and quiet. Though as a part of my whole system, its kinda winey. (fucked if I know how to spell winey)

Cathar said:
Am just trying to get a handle on some sort of justification for me to blow $50AUD on a fan when an $8 AUD fan seems to be doing the job mightily well.

I can understand where you are coming from as I fell over when Sharka told me they were $36 USD a piece. :eek: However, I live in a high dust environment being next to the beach so I wanted a fan that wouldn't fail from the fine silt that occupies everything where I live. It also is pretty quiet at 12 volts and dead silent at 5 volts. Most of the time I expect to run it at about 5-7 volts via my Aquaero. Perhaps R1ckCa1n could give you some insight as I think he has run Yate-Loons before and runs nothing but Acoustifan's nowdays.

Bio-Hazard said:
I've got a pair of those, they work pretty well at 7v................... :cool:

but you knwo they still seem loud to me bio? i was in agony., i mean i like the cooling now, but i gotta get them to under 7v somehow some way cuz TOO MUCH NOISE! argh!

im realy really really considering these acoustifans, but i have ot save up for em. thing is... can they do the radiator job? can they pull the air thru the rads and get my loop cooled properly?

I've never seen the need to use acoustifans or any of the extreme high dollar fans........ :eek: I just put my stuff on a rheobus or controler and go from there and dial it in to what I want or need at the time.

thanks for bringing me back to reality bio hahah. ok so yea i jsut need that ownage sunbeam rheo to get my fans below 7v and i be good to go. and yea its so funny bio, i see no difference relaly between super loud 12v M1A and them at 7v. like none at all! ha. except hte HUGE diff in noise.

IMHO you can't really beat the sunbeam rheobus for the money, it has steppless adjustment from off to 12v and can handle up to 20w on each of it's 4 channels. I run 1 radiator per channel for the radiators and the 3 is for the standard 120mm case fans and the 4 channel is for switching my dual CCL's on and off.................. :D

Bio-Hazard said:
IMHO you can't really beat the sunbeam rheobus for the money, it has steppless adjustment from off to 12v and can handle up to 20w on each of it's 4 channels. I run 1 radiator per channel for the radiators and the 3 is for the standard 120mm case fans and the 4 channel is for switching my dual CCL's on and off.................. :D
wait, im sorry slightly OT but can you elaborate on what you mean? "1 radiator per channel"? and the "3 is for standard 120mm"

does that mean multiple items into the back of the sunbeam? or does it mean multiple rheo's? im sorry :confused:

im relaly thinking of getting it, replacing the silly aerogate1 i got on the cheap.... or using both butt having hte sunbeam cut and built into the top of the case above the res. i think i mentioned it before but i think its a good idea. at the very least if i dont drill them holes in the top of the case (wish i had a super clean way to do it with the case filled) then i will def build the sunbeam rheo into a li li face plate like what they do at perf-pcs

OK, I run 1 radiator (2 fans each) on 1 channel (2 radiators) each, the 3rd channnel is for the other 120mm case fans in my system and the 4th channel is for my lighting.

Mounting it in another face plate would be a breeze, a total of 8 holes and you're set.

Top Nurse said:
Perhaps R1ckCa1n could give you some insight as I think he has run Yate-Loons before and runs nothing but Acoustifan's nowdays.
I like the sound level on the Acoustifans. Seems to give me the best results as I have one in the very front of my Stacker, which is 24" from me, and is silent @7.8vdc.

Hey guys...i've been reading this thread and noticing all the different fans...
Here is a set that i have..they are LOUD...sounds like a freaking leer jet is about to take off in my living room..but i'm used to it so meh.
http://www.frozencpu.com/fan-24.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/fan-15.html
They're good fans, but they only have a molex connector so they run 12v regardless and i'm too lazyto mod them.
I have the 38mm 108cfm Sunon mounted to my BIX Rad. mounted in the front of my Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case. blowing air out of the case...and in the back i have the 25mm 90cfm Sunon blowing into the case...not bad temps...i have never broken 41c and i'm at 1.62vcore @ 2.4Ghz s754 3000+.....but when at lan parties everyone complains :D

alphakry said:
good news! i will be getting a couple of the Black Yane Loons for testing within the next week or 2.... i will post pics and reviews here - and point you guys in the right direction of purchasing them! :)

I'm crossing my fingers for these. I'm convinced that the Yate Loons are the way to go for me but I can't deal with the orange.

Please let us know your first impressions as soon as you get these in hand.

Cathar said:
Have been searching and searching on-line for anyone who's done a direct comparison between the AcoustiFan DustProof fans, which are heavily rumoured to just be rebadged Adda water-proof (IP15 = some industry rating term) rated fans that have been resistorised (ala like the Nexus fans are resistorised Yate-Loon's), and looking for a direct comparison against the ~1350RPM Yate-Loon's, which are the ones that I use (except here in Australia they're sold as Tricod Science - exact same fan) and can be bought for ~$5 each.

I think you'd be the best person to do this. So I bought the following from Sharka:

acoustifan.jpg

Now I just need to get it to you.

You have PM.

WarlordBB said:
I think you'd be the best person to do this. So I bought the following from Sharka:

*snip

Now I just need to get it to you.

You have PM.

you sir, are awesome. thanks for doing it. now we just wait for it to get to australia, then for cathar to play with it and let us know. yay

Back