Best Anti-Virus Without Being A Resource Hog?

Free alternatives:

Avast!
AVG

Umm... that's all I got right now, lol.

Norton AntiVirus!

*dodges the tomatoes being thrown at me*

I'm kidding :p

Another vote for NOD32

Never used NOD, but have read many comments and reviews which raved about it.

I like Kaspersky - installed it on my son's Windows machine which had previously been vulnerable and very prone to picking up all sorts of crap. To say the least, he's a very careless Web surfer. :rolleyes: Kaspersky managed to keep the garbage off until I caved in and gave him a Mac. No doubt he'll become the first with a hopelessly infected Mac. :eek: When that happens NOD or Kaspersky will have apps for Apple products if he's lucky.

I've got NOD32 and I don't notice any difference in system performance then from before I installed it.

In case it hasn't been mentioned enough, give NOD32 a try. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

the first antivirus is YOU. don´t browse internet under an full-privileged account :D

i´d go with NOD64 FTW LOL 1

I love my Avast! for sure. I install it for all the comps I build or fix or whatever. It's stays out of the way, updates frequently, and I have never had a virus get passed it. It's also got a decent amount of customization, which I like.

I'm definitely a big supporter of avast. :)

McAfee Enterprise Edition v8.5i

Use that if your in an academic institution that offers it. It is quite good and not at all similar to the personal editions.

If not, AVG with Anti-Spyware/Rootkit is another good choice.

NOD32.

However, I have a feeling it is inhibiting access to some of the HTTPS corporate sites I need to access.

I'm still investigating...

I switched to nod32 from symantec corporate due to issues with vista. So far I've been very happy(have used nod32 in the past too though)

Avast!

I. Love. It.

used it for like 3+ years now on many systems. never had a virus get passed it. stays out of the way. auto-updates DAILY.

redundant I know.

this is all with default settings.

you can crank up the security and thoroughness of its scanning times like 3 if you want to. then it starts being noticeable on performance. but the point is I've never felt like I needed to do that. but its good that you can if you have a system that needs to be secured.

it also has a feature where is makes notes of all of your files, so if a file gets corrupted to the point of no return, Avast! can replace it by checking those notes. I imagine its very handy---but I've never had to make use of it!

I find AVG a system Hog, Avast annoying.

I would go for NOD32. Not a system hog, updated nearly daily, not annoying little beepers and sirens when it finds a virus.

It's awesome, fairly cheap too if I remember.

I find AVG a system Hog, Avast annoying.

I would go for NOD32. Not a system hog, updated nearly daily, not annoying little beepers and sirens when it finds a virus.

It's awesome, fairly cheap too if I remember.

Might I ask sir what you find annoying about Avast?

Might I ask sir what you find annoying about Avast?

Well perhaps it wasn't avast but I think it was when it found a "virus" alarms and beepers started going off in the middle of night and woke me up and made me want to murder the devs of it

Well perhaps it wasn't avast but I think it was when it found a "virus" alarms and beepers started going off in the middle of night and woke me up and made me want to murder the devs of it

Yeah. There's an option in the options for disabling the avast sounds. What else?

Yeah. There's an option in the options for disabling the avast sounds. What else?

Still waste of my time when theres a better one out there thats not a system hog or really annoying and bloated. I hardly ever see Nod32 except when it updates and scans. AVG and Avast... not so much.

So I still stand at Nod32, and always will :p

Still waste of my time when theres a better one out there thats not a system hog or really annoying and bloated. I hardly ever see Nod32 except when it updates and scans. AVG and Avast... not so much.

So I still stand at Nod32, and always will :p

lol, dunno much about AVG, but avast is not a system hog. I'd like to see you debate that though. I only see avast when it updates, dear god, it notified me when it updated. I'm sure there's a way to make it silent too, where it will not notify you. but that would require some effort.

I'd really love to know all the things that bother you about avast, but I can understand if you don't want to say.

I offered the two as FREE alternatives anyway, so yeah.

I personally havent tried NOD32 .... but ....

NAV Corp Edition was OK, but only picked up viruses.

Tried Kaspersky, it's OK, but too many ALLOW/DENY everytime I run stuff.

I then tried BitDefender 2008 and it seems to be OK ... Also, in reading the REAL reviews (like number of virus/spyware found versus false +), Bitdefender was rated rather highly.

Resource hog? Dunno, I have 3GB of RAM on a Dual Core Opteron system.

I switch to nod32 from antivir. I appriciate it's very conservative and streamlined nature. It does everything it's supposed to silently. Also, this is the first antivirus I have used that had a email service that actually works...

I paid for the 2 year subscription!

Paid = NOD32
Free = Avast! and AVG

My personal choice is AVG, never had a problem with it :D

I dont know... haven't used anti-virus or anti-spy software for a couple years... I'd probably pick AVG though if I had to run it again just for the fact that it is free.

I dont know... haven't used anti-virus or anti-spy software for a couple years... I'd probably pick AVG though if I had to run it again just for the fact that it is free.

That's kinda stupid... no matter how careful you are you can still get the crap so it's always a good idea to have them. Even if it's just Spybot S&D and AVG.

If you are willing to pay, NOD32.
If you want free, AVG.

I switched from AVG to NOD32 after AVG detected bioshock as a trojan. It was a false positive but it made me want to try out nod32. And like everyone here has said, it is a pretty lightweight av. With that said, I still have avg on my laptop. It is still a good anti-virus.

I switched from AVG to NOD32 after AVG detected bioshock as a trojan. It was a false positive but it made me want to try out nod32. And like everyone here has said, it is a pretty lightweight av. With that said, I still have avg on my laptop. It is still a good anti-virus.

No, it's not. For free stuff, Avira > Avast! > AVG

Funny how many times I link that site and people just ignore it and continue to claim that AVG is good. "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" I believe is the saying.

Back