BenQ new VW2420/EW2420 VA panel with LED backlight.

Here is a new review of the BL2400PT on it168 (several pages with links at the bottom):
http://translate.google.ch/translat...00001111503.shtml&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

Colours seem quite a lot better than what they measured on the VW2420H.
Contrast measurement looks very good too. Edit: see below

And here another review where they state a DeltaE of 7.5 ?! and not so good colours (also several pages with links at the bottom):
http://translate.google.ch/translat...ch.sina.com.cn/h/2010-10-12/05481522304.shtml

Not sure it helps.

Edit:

Contrast (ANSI) 288:1

They must have a strange way of measuring. Because ANSI contrast is the static value and that is the lowest number I have ever seen.

Full On/Full Off numbers are OK, but that allows dynamic contrast to kick in.

Thanks Snowdog... I think I read that review a bit too quickly. Corrections:

1) Contrast values for BL2400PT are in fact very similar to what they measured on VW2420H.

2) However, it seems Full On / Full Off contrast was measured without dynamic contrast since the guy expressly says he turned that feature off.

Last edited:
Colours seem quite a lot better than what they measured on the VW2420H.
Contrast measurement looks very good too.

They must have a strange way of measuring. Because ANSI contrast is the static value and that is the lowest number I have ever seen.

hello!

I am Italian.

AND I have to buy (order) 2 Benq VW2420H that landed on my home next monday!

But I hope that I have make a good acquire....!!!

because your comments are bad on VW2420H , expecially if compared with BL2400PT...

I hope that Benq VW2420H have a great image quality not same TN panel, and overall my fear is that...

VW2420H have::

1) not uniform lighting (for LED edge backlight)
2)light cones
3) Bad colours level of black , of white and all colours.

In other words my fear is that this VW2420H is same TN
I hope that VW2420H have same image quality of old Benq FP241w.

Help me !!!!

Next monday post my comments , but i want that you reassure to me that

VW2420H is good as old benq fp241w and same level of BL2400PT !!!!

what is this below their ANSI measurement?

Full on full off contrast ratio 5238:1

? anyone know?

I have an EW and VW coming direct from BenQ. I'll post quick reviews as soon as I get 'em. I doubt they are sophisticated enough to do local zone LED dimming, so we'll see about the contrast.

I highly doubt they will be 288:1 contrast ratio unless panel blocking kicks in at low brightness, though.

Last edited:
All LED backlight monitors in this price range are "edge type".
Local dimming is possible only with the direct type.
Direct LED backlight = much more LEDs = more power = more heat = more $$$.
I have some doubt we will see local dimming desktop monitors...
But I hope we will see "real" LED (OLED) monitors in few years. :)

I have ordered the BL2400PT and should be receiving it next week.
I Will post my impressions when I get it although no figures since I don't have calibration gear.

I have an EW and VW coming direct from BenQ. I'll post quick reviews as soon as I get 'em. I doubt they are sophisticated enough to do local zone LED dimming, so we'll see about the contrast.

I highly doubt they will be 288:1 contrast ratio unless panel blocking kicks in at low brightness, though.

Yeah. I really wonder what was up with that.

Don't worry about those measurements they are wrong. There was one Asian site which actually properly measure the out-of-box contrast and it was over 3,000:1, respectively they got around 1,000:1 with the Dell U2311H which is also correct.

http://translate.googleusercontent....le.com&usg=ALkJrhisWiYqgFy5jH-vGssQUt6QhHaxQw

Average luminance (cd / m 2) 261
ANSI Contrast 3012.753:1

this is pretty good :)

i wonder if contrast stays fairly steady with a decrease in brightness? could be a very nice display for watching movies and gaming in the dark, which my zr24w is terrible at - i have to keep some lights on or use some sort of bias lighting because the contrast is so bad :(

3000:1 contrast at 120 cd/m2 would be pretty amazing, does anyone know how low the black level would have to be for that?

Average luminance (cd / m 2) 261
ANSI Contrast 3012.753:1

this is pretty good :)

i wonder if contrast stays fairly steady with a decrease in brightness? could be a very nice display for watching movies and gaming in the dark, which my zr24w is terrible at - i have to keep some lights on or use some sort of bias lighting because the contrast is so bad :(

3000:1 contrast at 120 cd/m2 would be pretty amazing, does anyone know how low the black level would have to be for that?

0.04cd/m2=3,0001: @ 120cd/m2.

The F2380MX (C-PVA) can go over 4.000:1 if I set the luminance to around 110cd/m2 (black depth=0.03cd/m2) or 3300:1 @ 163cd/m2 (0.05cd/m2) which is a more pleasing result sense most people will find 120cd/m2- too dark. I assume the BenQ's will put out the same results as their peak brightness/contrast is identical to the C-PVA panel.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Just makes me want one even more. Probably going to end up selling my zr24w for this :)

NCX said:
0.04cd/m2=3,0001: @ 120cd/m2.

The F2380MX (C-PVA) can go over 4.000:1 if I set the luminance to around 110cd/m2 (black depth=0.03cd/m2) or 3300:1 @ 163cd/m2 (0.05cd/m2) which is a more pleasing result sense most people will find 120cd/m2- too dark.
Contrast doesn't vary like that. Your results have serious rounding errors. 0.03 is not precise enough. That could mean anywhere from 0.025 to 0.0349, which translates to 4400:1 to ~3150:1. Measuring at full brightness will give you more accurate results, and looking at the profile data will give you another decimal place.

Contrast doesn't vary like that. Your results have serious rounding errors. 0.03 is not precise enough. That could mean anywhere from 0.025 to 0.0349, which translates to 4400:1 to ~3150:1. Measuring at full brightness will give you more accurate results, and looking at the profile data will give you another decimal place.

BasICColor doesn't provide pin point #'s like that, it rounds, and I round rather then posting 4318:1 (or whatever). It's still far more accurate then Eye One Match and my results are pretty much identical to those of the good review sites.

Besides who want's to read these sorts of numbers, it's far more "commercial," to post 0.04cd/m2 or 0.13cd/m2 over 0.0349, rarely do displays have such close black values either. If there were a bunch of displays with such similar results then such pinpoint values would be necessary . Measuring @ full brightness is silly, rarely does a monitors full brightness yeild decent results with anything but VA in terms of black depth/contrast performance.

I didn't print screen the MX 160cd/m2 results when I measure but here's one of the Acer G245H

http://wecravegames.com/forums/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3822

MX in Dynamic Mode
http://wecravegames.com/forums/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=4042

Last edited:
Besides who want's to read these sorts of numbers, it's far more "commercial/simplistic," to post 0.04cd/m2 or 0.13cd/m2 over 0.0349. In reality it also doesn't matter to 99% of people unless they are debating between 2 displays that both can do 0.04cd/m2 @ 120cd/m2

LOL :rolleyes:

If you are going to use them to calculate contrast, you don't want to use rounded values. That's how rounding errors accumulate and it is clearly a large one there, as ToastyX indicated.

With a proper measuring tool and software, you should see consistent contrast throughout the back-light range.

Here is for mine:
backlightnq0.png

Contrast of the panel doesn't really vary by changing the backlight at all. Even the minor variations in my contrast are small measurement errors, not real changes in contrast.

It coud be a rounding error. When I measured it said 0.03/cd/m2 @ 110cd/m2 luminance and 0.05cd/m2 @ 163cd/m2=3260:1 but I said over 4.00:1 and 3300:1 "oh noes," i guess it's appropriate to call me out on that. I was trying to establish that the MX which has pretty much identical contrast and peak brightness as the BenQ's and stays over 3,000:1 @ XXXcd/m2 luminance, so in theory the BenQ's should be able to as well.

When measuring such a high (medicore) black value 0.10cd/m2+ BasICColor will display 0.11,0.12, 0.13, ect. When the luminance drops I haven't come across a # like 0.0345cd/m2, is this because it's "inaccurate?" Or is the black value actually 0.0x? Who actually knows?

The only monitors with high contrast/low black values other then the BenQ's are also C-PVA (Ezio EV2333 and Samsung F2380/F2380M/F2380MX/F2370H)

Ezio 0.02cd/m2 black depth @ 140cd/m2
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-eizo-ev2333wh-bk-part10.html

F2380 0.05@ 117cd/m2
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-samsung-f2380-part8.html

I can post other sites results for the F2380, none of which provide results like 0.04XXcd/m2, the point is are these measurements inacurate?

Last edited:
When measuring such a high (medicore) black value 0.10cd/m2+ BasICColor will display 0.11,0.12, 0.13, ect. When the luminance drops I haven't come across a # like 0.0345cd/m2, is this because it's "inaccurate?" Or is the black value actually 0.0x? Who actually knows?

We know. It isn't exactly 0.03. If it was it would be 0.030 to two significant digits or .0300 to three significant digits. It is inaccurate reporting to use in calculations.

When you get down to rounded numbers like 0.03 as that is only 1 significant digit. Rounding errors can be 20% in this case. That is a HUGE error, if you use it calculations you multiply the errors.

When I calibrated my NEC, with SVII software, it shows a similar rounded off, final reported black level of:

0.16 ( two significant digits - Rounding error potential 3%)

But when I use the quick measurement tool in SVII to check just the black level it reports all the digits without rounding, and I get:

0.1616 ( what you want to use in calculations - rounding error negligible .03 % )

Every significant digit is another order of magnitude of reduction or increase. 1 Significant digit is not acceptable for hardly anything.

BENQ BL2400PT (9H.L4RLB.SBE)

so this is PVA and LED?

Why so cheap?

Maybe some clues:

- VA doesn't have to be expensive. For example, my current monitor which I bought in 2006 has a PVA 8bit panel and costed at the time only around $350.- (It also had good reviews.)

- Benq is positionned as a high volume mainstream consumer brand and their low pricing is in line with this. For example my current screen (Benq FP91GP) has the exact same PVA panel as the Viewsonic VP930, which costed twice as much, or the Belinea 10 19 20 which was priced inbetween. This is not to say Benq or other cheap brands are better, but premium brands definitely make us pay a premium price... and it's not always justified.

- Edge-lit LED is nothing new nor expensive.

- But then maybe the electronic components are cheap. ... I just hope not too cheap.

- Finally if the new Benq VA models get good reviews and publicity, price will probably go up.

My mistake, I read someone else's post earlier in the thread and was under the impression it was MVA also. Looking forward to the BenQ coming to the US then.

Good news from an italian buyer.
I'm asking him some questions.
I talk about the VW2420H.
EW2420 is coming.
BL2400PT is not available for now.

When talking about such deep black levels I still don't think it really matters what the rounding error is considering the F2380MX (330$ Canada only) has no proven competitor (Ezio EV2333 costs 700$ here).

Ordered the EW (256$ CAN @ NClX), should be here within the next 3 days. We will soon see if its truly 3,000:1 and has decent motion performance.

Last edited:
When talking about such deep black levels I still don't think it really matters what the rounding error is considering the F2380MX (330$ Canada only) has no proven competitor (Ezio EV2333 costs 700$ here).

Ordered the EV (256$ CAN @ NClX), should be here within the next 3 days. We will soon see if its truly 3,000:1 and has decent motion performance.
Rounding errors or not, I'm very much looking forward to your initial impressions.

Hello

My BL2400PT arrived today :), manufactured in august'10. I live in Catalonia, Spain.

First impressions:
-Connected through DVI, disabled all senseeye & stuff, brightness to 0, contrast to 40.
-Apparently no dead/bad pixels.
-Coming from a 17" old TN sammy, now blacks are true blacks :) (it blends with the bezel, really).
-No noise (at least on 0 brightness) at all. And i have a taste for silent computing..
-Image quality is gorgeus, at least for me ;)
-I don't have a colorimeter, and i'm not a color expert, but i can't see any tint on the images or anything wrong with colors.
-Vision angles... well, viewed from down is equally gorgeus as seeing it directly, but viewing it from above the image is... bland. I don't know if that's a drop in constrast (the colors are fine) or in gamma. Side angles are fine. All in all, perfect for my setup.
-The AG coating doesn't seem too agressive.
-Not a fast panel, as expected. Can't see any problem for work/movies, and the games that i've tested, but it fails lagom tests and you can feel it when scrolling some pages, so it must be slow.
-Sound is... well... just works, period. As expected.
-It feels very solid and heavy (but the box where it came is almost heavier :))

Well, that's all for now...:D

Last edited:
Uh! It seems that Spain is more computerized than Italy. :)
I think we must wait another month to see the BL2400PT.

Hello fellas

I just bought the EW2420. I expect it to come in the middle of the week.
If you have specific questions or test you would like me to run, just tell me.
I don't have any digital camera, so probably it will have to be enough to describe it in words.
(There is a chance that on coming weekend I will have a camera)

I paid 920pln (with shipping).

Lukas

If you have specific questions or test you would like me to run, just tell me. I don't have any digital camera, so probably it will have to be enough to describe it in words.
Hi,

Would you mind telling me how responsive it feels when you play fast games (i.e. first person shooters)? I'd like to know if you notice any ghosting or input lag.

There's also a few online tests you can try such as these:

PixPerAn test:
http://www.prad.de/download/pixperan_english.zip

Browser based tests:
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/testsoftware/schlieren2.html

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/response_time.php

I'd also like how good the image quality and colour reproduction is and finally how badly it exhibits a problem known as "black crush" or gamma shifting that's inherent on monitors with VA panels.

For the black crush thing, if you would take a moment and open this image on the monitor, view it straight on at full screen and see if you can see any colour changes usually around the sides or the centre being darker (with loss of detail) compared to the rest.

Thanks for any info!

Monitor received, calibrating now.

Out of the box (standard) brightness is 253cd/m2 and the black level is 0.09cd/m2. Motion is good with AMA on (needs to be activated in the menu), not as good as a 2ms TN but definately an improvement over the C-PVA panels.

Just by setting the brightness to 50 in the OSD I get 124cd/m2 and a black depth of 0.04cd/m2=3100:1 contrast.

Last edited:
To NCX ..... have you ever used an IPS screen with a hard AG coating? How does the monitor compare? Glossy/Matte? Thanks for the info.

To NCX ..... have you ever used an IPS screen with a hard AG coating? How does the monitor compare? Glossy/Matte? Thanks for the info.

Only used TN (AG and Glossy)/VA (all AG coating) based LCDs and Plasma.

Its half AG/half glossy. There are very minor relfections in the corners from the panel cornerns itself other wise this is like the perfect screen for people who dislike both full Glossy and AG coating.

Back