Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Ditch the side-vents, as you use them on renders 2, 3 and 4.
385x400x195mm
Five slots
Full size CPU cooler (165mm)
Fits ATX motherboards per this post
2x140mm front fans
1x120mm exhaust
Opinions?
I like side vents... Front vents end up looking more dusty. Solid front panels let out less noise and look cleaner, just my opinion.
How is the space for cables like usb3 on the bottom of an atx board, would the PSU interfere?
The front IO seems kinda out of place, the chamfer is nice.
Attempt at an M-style mATX:
*snip*
385x400x195mm
Five slots
Full size CPU cooler (165mm)
Fits ATX motherboards per this post
2x140mm front fans
1x120mm exhaust
Opinions?
The only way I see the M-style working visually is to keep the I/O at the bottom like the M1, which would be bad considering the size of this makes it necessary to consider the case being put under the desk.
How about an approach like the Phanteks EVOLV where you still have a solid front panel but no holes on the side panels? Other cases with the same approach include the NZXT Source 210 and the Bitfenix Prodigy except when in black.
Btw, prava, what's the problem with side vents? Aside from increasing size.
My opinion on glass window sides is that they should be limited to the viewing of the CPU and GPU only. When you get 75% coverage of the case it really makes cable management hard.
I disagree. The window should either be placed in relation to the external shape (like the picture above) leaving you to manage the internals so they look good, or not be there at all. It shouldn't be a randomly sized/shaped "peeping hole" but an actual design feature coherent with the rest of the case.
So about the 2B layout (with the subtle Mac Pro hints), I have a suggestion that might solve two "issues":
- the PSU has it's intake internally
- the ODD slot has a visible slot
Now if the black front would be contracted about 3mm all-around, like it would seem like it's floating, it could allow the PSU to be mounted with it's fan towards the front if the design would be modified accordingly. Maybe even add a fan option on the front below the PSU. It would also mean more noise but maybe some creative designing could allow this "feature" to be swapped with a part or two to close it off. Like a "full panel" or maybe a replaceable front structure part that would replace the open space with fan mount support for a closed part with storage mount support.
Oh yes and the ODD slot could basically become invisible because it would reside in the shadow of the opening between the silver panels and the black front panel. It would require the ODD to be moved a little so the slot would allign with the gap between the panels.
That's a good point. I didn't realize a lot of motherboards have the USB 3.0 header at the bottom edge of the board. According to the ATX specification, nothing in the card slot area is supposed to exceed 0.6" (15mm), and I guess they're technically complying... it's the USB 3.0 connector that is too tall. Kind of stupid that they do it though, since it's also a problem for GPUs in the last slot.How is the space for cables like usb3 on the bottom of an atx board, would the PSU interfere?
This won't work. The ODD (and front ports) has to be near the edge - either top, bottom, or side. Most of the front needs to be kept free for the front fans/rad. Also the front fans are there to provide airflow to the drives as well, which they can't do if the ODD/front ports are between them.The ODD slot looks just wrong. If it has to be there, I would integrate it into the I/O panel - which would problaby force you to move the entire I/O panel closer to the bottom with the ODD sitting on the HDD cage. Or use thevariant 1b layout for your M1 design. Both would also result in a cleaner internal layout.
The M1's space efficiency is only possible by making it essentially a completely perforated box, with vents on every side (excepting the front). I explained in my design post why I wanted to get away from that (noise and dust).My only concern is that we aren't as unique, clever and space efficient as with the M1.
The Evolv is also 65mm taller and 35mm wider, and is limited to four expansion slots, so naturally it has more cooling options.As for the dimensions, I assume the "400mm" is the depth of the case. That's a lot in my opinion. The Enthoo Evolv has the same depth, a similar internal layout (with more cooling options) and a halfway sleek exterior with solid aluminium as well.

Variant 1b can't support an ATX board, just so we're clear. ATX support depends on the PSU overlapping the bottom PCIe slots.Variants I would like to see based on that design (and your previous "most recent" design):
1 - Variant 1b with your M1 design. The ODD integrated into the M1 I/O panel and the entire I/O panel moved to the bottom of the drive section in variant 1b (so the ODD would be at the bottom of the section as well, contrary to variant 1b).
2 - Variant 1b with your previous design.
Jonsbo released their W-series cases well after the M1. Not that the M1 was the first to do it, either, I'm just saying.[...](let#s face it, chamfered edges are a Jonsbo thing)[...]
Say we did that and put the PSU drives in their own chamber. How does the PSU intake work? If it draws air from inside the chamber, it's an extra 12mm or so to the case height for intake space, plus the partition itself.Going back to Necere's other and more recent G5'ish two-color design with the variant 1b as interior (which I'd still like to see in that combination) I would to suggest to divide the components chamber from the "maintenance chamber" with an S-shaped mainboard tray similar to what NZXT is doing with their recent cases or what Silverstone has done in the Raven RVZ02 to divide the GPU from the rest of the system.
The result would be a second floor between the mainboard and the maintenance section. Advantages:
1 - The waste heat of the componentes wouldn't reach the hard drives or get trapped between the PSU and the drives.
Just a note: The 195mm width of the M-styled concept has zero space added behind the motherboard for cables. The width is entirely dictated by the 165mm CPU cooler and support for a window.2 - It would be easier to use the space between the PSU and the drives for cable management. You could probably even make the case narrower because you wouldn't need the space behind the mainboard anymore to store cables.
Good thoughts, though keep in mind any front-mounted dual radiator will extend into the compartment, since even an mATX board with five slots is still only 264mm tall, while 240 rads typically start at 275mm, and 280 rads at about 315mm.3 - It would probably be easy to design a very modular "maintenance section" for many different drive drifferent configurations. You could probably even avoid a separate drive cage (and save some costs) if you can design the maintenance section to be the drive cage (probably for vertically mounted HDDs).
4 - You could place a water-pump and a reservoir in that section. With a separate top section cover it would be easy to perform any maintenance tasks. Need to refill your water reservoir? Just remove the top section cover and have direct access to your water cooling equipment.
I'm confused about this. How do they affect width at all?3) [front-side intake vents] make the front too wide to my liking.
I did go over why I don't prefer bottom-top airflow (dust, floor clearance, filter access). This also eliminates layouts 1a-1c from consideration.How to create space for air? Well, I think you have 2 options here:
a) You have a solid facade.
1) Try to keep all intakes on top or bottom of the case.
That's a strong statement. I would argue that it's actually desirable to have radiators exhausting, *if* both the CPU and GPU(s) are watercooled. Nothing else in the system generates much heat, and the slight warming that is there isn't going to affect loop temps significantly. In the case of CPU-only watercooling and axial fan GPUs dumping their heat into the case (and rad intake) I agree with you, however.By the way, using a top radiator to exhaust is a very bad idea. Radiadors should ALWAYS be used as intakes.
So like the S340, but only a front-bottom intake? My concern there is it seems fairly restrictive, and I think the facade would need to be even deeper to ensure decent airflow.2) Even if you don't want to have a perforated top due to looks, and dust, you could also make it work with only bottom intakes. You could even have a fan in the front that was feeding from the bottom, by not having the facade flush with the bottom part of the case. It would also make cleaning the filter much easier because you would have to remove only the facade. With that, and a single exhaust fan, you would have a decent enough positive pressure system, and enough air to have some decent temperatures.
I agree.Also, the M1 bottom I/O pannel only works if you keep it in the bottom, in my opinion. Otherwise it looks like a half-assed job, because it doesn't make sense.
And even in the bottom it looks kinda weird if you don't keep the front as a single piece.
This would eliminate the possibility of a window, since you'd pretty much have to use the bracket.I'm thinking... that you could keep the M1's bracket without using any side vents. But that would only work in a reversed ATX (or mATX) configuration. How would that work? Well, by having the bracket not flush with the side pannel, and having a gap on the floor. You could keep all the pannels solid, the most sensible temperature component (the cpu) would be the one to get fresh air first, and you could have side fans as intakes and then use an hdd bracket like the one used on the M1. Just imagine a reversed M1, with the side fans bracket not flush with the structure of the case, and feeding from the top (now bottom, cause reversed).
My concern with it, as I've expressed, is that 2mm aluminum may not be sturdy enough for the design of the feet. 4mm would, but that would likely be cost-prohibitive to make the entire out shell out of, and we can't punch the vent holes in the top.Regarding current designs, the only one I'd consider is this one (sans the window)
![]()
But only because its the only one that looks "fresh" to me, and different from where the market is going.
I should point out that the PSU and drives (there are none in that render, but if there were) are just as visible.I did not say aesthetics should be compromised by limiting the size of the window - I did state however the window shouldn't be the entire size of the case. I don't need to see my power supply through a window - even hard drives are not "sexy".
Like on the above image this would be preferred for me: http://imgur.com/bdrUwzZ
A 3mm gap isn't nearly enough of a gap for decent airflow. Plus the ODD can't be that close to the edge of the case.So about the 2B layout (with the subtle Mac Pro hints), I have a suggestion that might solve two "issues":
- the PSU has it's intake internally
- the ODD slot has a visible slot
Now if the black front would be contracted about 3mm all-around, like it would seem like it's floating [...]
Oh yes and the ODD slot could basically become invisible because it would reside in the shadow of the opening between the silver panels and the black front panel. It would require the ODD to be moved a little so the slot would allign with the gap between the panels.
It's not really any smaller if has a solid front with edge intakes, since it needs more room for airflow.Also, I have made up my mind about the internal layout. I have settled towards the 1C for a simple front to back airflow scheme and possibly smaller footprint.
I would take that route and go with your two colored "Mac design". Are we afraid of perforated front panels? They can look super cool (yet clean) if done right (and as far as I can tell you are doing it right).Remember that the shrouded front intake adds some 20mm to the depth of the case. If you really want to reduce the depth, that has to go, and we have to look at a perforated front instead.
I was thinking of leaving the area undernath the PSU open. That's actually how it's done in my current case, that has a cage for the PSU with a cutout in the bottom.Say we did that and put the PSU drives in their own chamber. How does the PSU intake work? If it draws air from inside the chamber, it's an extra 12mm or so to the case height for intake space, plus the partition itself.
I was mislead by the pictures then. Good decision to not add space for cable management behind the mainboard tray.Just a note: The 195mm width of the M-styled concept has zero space added behind the motherboard for cables. The width is entirely dictated by the 165mm CPU cooler and support for a window.
Well, like I said in another comment I think you should add some space underneath the mainboard anyway. That won't be enough though according to this, so there would have to be a cutout in the floor of the "maintenance section". With the hole for the PSU I'm not sure if there would still be enough of that "floor" left to make sense.Good thoughts, though keep in mind any front-mounted dual radiator will extend into the compartment, since even an mATX board with five slots is still only 264mm tall, while 240 rads typically start at 275mm, and 280 rads at about 315mm.
He was probably mainly talking about the look of the case. And after some consideration and after seeing the M1 design I agree with most people here that the Mac-like appearence is worthy of further resarch. Too bad that the feet might not work with 2mm aluminium.My concern with it, as I've expressed, is that 2mm aluminum may not be sturdy enough for the design of the feet. 4mm would, but that would likely be cost-prohibitive to make the entire out shell out of, and we can't punch the vent holes in the top.
That's fair. Maybe there can be two versions of the front panel like with the SG05 and 06 if we are going with the "aluminum tube" design?It's not really any smaller if has a solid front with edge intakes, since it needs more room for airflow.
I think it's ironic that people clamor about size, but are perfectly happy to have a couple of superfluous aluminum hoops at the bottom adding an inch to the height![]()
Sure, but realistically, where would you cut down on depth? Look at the pic I posted of the internals again. We can save space by going with a perforated front panel, but we're still at 380mm. If we reduce it much more, it seriously cuts into the ability to mount a front rad with reference-length GPUs and/or medium-length PSU with hard drives.You know my position: I have no problem with extra height, only with extra depth (and too much width). I a find 30 liter case with a small footprint way more interesting than a 20 liter case with a huge footprint (like all these showbox designs on the market).
We can save space by going with a perforated front panel, but we're still at 380mm.
No, the rear doesn't need to be recessed, and it's cheaper and easier to make it flat. But the PCI card retaining tabs stick out 10mm or so anyway, so it's not like any actual depth is saved. Also if you're using pull-off side panels like the M1, there needs to be some overhang to provide something to pull on.By the way, do we need the recessed rear I/O panel? Why not just have a flat rear panel?
Good point: I either lose some space with the recessed rear I/O and the extra depth, or with the extra room I need for the connectors. And I prefer a recessed rear I/O anyway. It looks nicer and 120mm AiO-coolers don't reach that far into the case.But the PCI card retaining tabs stick out 10mm or so anyway, so it's not like any actual depth is saved. Also if you're using pull-off side panels like the M1, there needs to be some overhang to provide something to pull on.