Battlefield: Hardline

I dunno about that...between WWII and "Modern Shooters" there were quite a few Vietnam games...including Battlefield: Vietnam for that matter. Also, Vietcong comes to mind. There were a bunch of Vietnam mods for games like ArmA 2 as well.

Though I will say, I would welcome a WWII or Vietnam game with a modern engine like Frostbite 3.

The only Vietnam games i can remember are BFV, vietcong, shellshock, and a couple of mods. Which in my mind doesn't add up to quite a few, at least when you compare it to the plethora of WW2 and modern military shooters that have been released in the past decade.

did you consider the possibility that the masses actually like what the studios are producing? why worry about what other people open their wallets for? the market will dictate itself.

They must be as they are buying them up. Do you actually feel the latest offerings in the Battlefield & COD series are an improvement on previous titles? How about Madden/NHL/MLB EA offerings?

I worry about it because I want to play quality games... don't you?

The only Vietnam games i can remember are BFV, vietcong, shellshock, and a couple of mods. Which in my mind doesn't add up to quite a few, at least when you compare it to the plethora of WW2 and modern military shooters that have been released in the past decade.

Yeah, fair enough, but in the case of WWII games and modern shooters, IMO there were far too many made at the time.

Do you actually feel the latest offerings in the Battlefield & COD series are an improvement on previous titles?

i think BF4 is a ton of fun. different strokes for different folks.

I worry about it because I want to play quality games... don't you?

pick and choose which games fit your definition of quality and ignore the rest. you can't force people to only buy games you deem worthy.

--------------------------------
anyway, i'm not looking to be particularly argumentative over this. we just have different views on it.

Last edited:
Looking at the screen shots confirms my suspicions. The gameplay is the same as the military based Battlefields. Cops and robbers with RPGs and mini guns? :p

well he should of known he would get fired. that is common sense.

edit- actually reading his posts he didnt get fired for leaking the trailer he got fired for mentioning something about the mp in a post after it was leaked so he broke the nda just in a different way.

pretty stupid to leak info. he must have expected to get fired if caught.

It's all about the Benjamin's baby. I wish we would see less of the annual releases and more in the way of new IP's but sadly this is what has become of the gaming industry. In many ways these annual releases are really just glorified expansions, but with investors breathing down developers necks to get profitable products out the door they are hard pressed to take a risk on new products.

Sure this new Battlefield title might be more of a spin off but its still using the Battlefield name so it will most likely wind up being more of the same. Ubisoft does do an annual Assassin's creed but they are also at least taking risks and investing into some of the profits new IPs (Watch Dogs, The Division). I wish other major studios would follow suit. Quite frankly I am sick of annual CoD and BF and other similar games. I am all for a good sequel every now and again but they should be a few years apart after they have done some DLC and expansions and things like that.

Would be awesome if it turned out to be BF action and map size with the gameplay of payday.

well he should of known he would get fired. that is common sense.

edit- actually reading his posts he didnt get fired for leaking the trailer he got fired for mentioning something about the mp in a post after it was leaked so he broke the nda just in a different way.

Yeah it's really weird he didn't leak the video but commented on it or something saying DICE did the multiplayer therefore breaking his NDA, but I mean. I didn't even know this was a leak..I assumed it was official...and I assumed with all things battlefield that DICE made it anyway. I'm so confused.

This would honestly be boring. Unless the game is realistic like SWAT (which it won't be) there will be zero differences from a military perspective if all you do is shoot people as soon as you see them. It will essentially be Battlefield without vehicles. Even SWAT, while keeping a realistic perspective/gameplay, still had to exaggerate and portray missions in which you go up against multiple gunmen. Which essentially never happens in the western world.

this exactly
the gameplay does not fit the scenario at all.
32 vs 32 cops and robbers? wtf..

i know its early to judge but this just looks fucking stupid.
i guess bf4 will be the last game i buy, and hopefully others will feel the same way.

it doesnt seem like vehicles serve any purpose other than driving now.
so we have a bunch of police vehicle/humvees driving around that can be one shotted by rpgs. who is going to use them?
at least we can drive some lincolns and camaros though.
and why are there even jets in the game anymore? i never knew swat teams used jets

i remember this being rumored right after the launch of bf4, i was hoping it wasnt true.

despite all their problems i loved bf 3 and 4. but this just looks like pure shit.

im not sure if this is the leaked footage, but here is a seven minute video.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ba...line-shows-new-gameplay-footage/1100-6419910/

This Battlefield Hardline looks terrible .......... what they hell are they thinking?

this exactly
the gameplay does not fit the scenario at all.
32 vs 32 cops and robbers? wtf..

i know its early to judge but this just looks fucking stupid.
i guess bf4 will be the last game i buy, and hopefully others will feel the same way.

it doesnt seem like vehicles serve any purpose other than driving now.
so we have a bunch of police vehicle/humvees driving around that can be one shotted by rpgs. who is going to use them?
at least we can drive some lincolns and camaros though.
and why are there even jets in the game anymore? i never knew swat teams used jets

i remember this being rumored right after the launch of bf4, i was hoping it wasnt true.

despite all their problems i loved bf 3 and 4. but this just looks like pure shit.

im not sure if this is the leaked footage, but here is a seven minute video.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ba...line-shows-new-gameplay-footage/1100-6419910/

Nononono... There is a lot more to cops and robbers than just cops and robbers. You need hostages, bank personnel, police, robbers, innocent bystanders, taxi drivers, getaway drivers, bus drivers, pedestrians, and possibly even cyclists. News crews are also essential. This can easily get up there player count wise.

i dont see players doing anything other than cops or robbers, npc's can fill the rolls of others, although some player hostages can work they can try to escape

Well, you also have to have a stupid bank teller that pushes the alarm button, and is hesitant to open the vault. Otherwise there is no conflict in the bank. :D

This COULD be done well, but given it's EA and they're slapping the Battlefield name on it, I highly doubt it will be.

I can see them trying to shoehorn in 10+ players per team in a cops and robbers type scenario and having it fail miserably.

I swear I saw an A-10 in that video...makes sense for SWAT... :rolleyes:

I think the game could have been good had it not used the Battlefield name and did not have to shoehorn vehicles and whatnot in. If they game focused on the SP (and not MP), or focused on co-op and not team VS team it might have been good. But seeing as this is a Battlefield title I have a feeling the SP will be forgettable. Which is okay, but seeing as the core gameplay is very similar to the military games and going as far to include attack planes it feels very out of place.

Had the game tried to be something entirely independent it might have been rather good. But maybe it will be fun... but it certainly does look a bit uninspired.

Battlefield cops and robbers. What a joke. It would be fine if this was a mod for BF4, but a whole new game? Ugh.

see now i actually hate single player games for the most part especially FPS ones, but because this is trying to get away from the full military game play where it is usually just kill russians or chinese or terrorists with no objectives other than getting from point a to b or defusing a bomb or planting a bomb with no real variety in the game play.

but i feel with it being a police officer based story opens up the potential for a much more varied story experience compared to normal military FPS games, like hostage rescues, catching smugglers and the use of less than lethal means of apprehension instead of just shooting every thing that moves.

of course this will also depend on the level of AI too because that is part of the reason i hate SP games too the AI is usually pretty bad in FPS's and do the same predictable reactions over and over.

as for vehicles i think that could very well be essential to this game standing out, car chases and other high speed activity is usually always fun but is lacking from a game like payday 2 where getting the loot should only be part of the battle you should have to get away with that loot too.

it also opens another level of progression if you can buy upgrades for your getaway vehicle make it more armored or outfit it with some gadgets to help mess up someone chasing you like drop a load of caltrops out the back to flatten the police tires, but if those police reinforced tire upgrades in their vehicle it might not matter ect.

the game "can" be done right i am not saying it will be done right tho. we know very very little about the game as it is to make a truely educated guess on how a mission in mp will actually play out and what a full map actually looks like ect.

I think this is why he got fired.

9qsFUVV.jpg

They should call it:

Broterfield Bro: Bro Edition + Day One Bro pack EXTREME

Except for the lighthearted BFBC2, the modern warfare fps genre has never felt right to me. A less serious heist-movie'ish cops vs. robbers theme is much better suited for the close quarters none-stop action type shooter IMO.

Not sure if I want to give EA my money though. Might buy if they let us demo with an open beta again and I find it appealing.

This COULD be done well, but given it's EA and they're slapping the Battlefield name on it, I highly doubt it will be.

I can see them trying to shoehorn in 10+ players per team in a cops and robbers type scenario and having it fail miserably.

I swear I saw an A-10 in that video...makes sense for SWAT... :rolleyes:

LAPD has a couple A10's for aerial speed radar. They only use the gun when you fail to stop.

=P

see now i actually hate single player games for the most part especially FPS ones, but because this is trying to get away from the full military game play where it is usually just kill russians or chinese or terrorists with no objectives other than getting from point a to b or defusing a bomb or planting a bomb with no real variety in the game play.

but i feel with it being a police officer based story opens up the potential for a much more varied story experience compared to normal military FPS games, like hostage rescues, catching smugglers and the use of less than lethal means of apprehension instead of just shooting every thing that moves.

of course this will also depend on the level of AI too because that is part of the reason i hate SP games too the AI is usually pretty bad in FPS's and do the same predictable reactions over and over.

as for vehicles i think that could very well be essential to this game standing out, car chases and other high speed activity is usually always fun but is lacking from a game like payday 2 where getting the loot should only be part of the battle you should have to get away with that loot too.

it also opens another level of progression if you can buy upgrades for your getaway vehicle make it more armored or outfit it with some gadgets to help mess up someone chasing you like drop a load of caltrops out the back to flatten the police tires, but if those police reinforced tire upgrades in their vehicle it might not matter ect.

the game "can" be done right i am not saying it will be done right tho. we know very very little about the game as it is to make a truely educated guess on how a mission in mp will actually play out and what a full map actually looks like ect.

I can see that point but when you have helicopters with mini guns, attack planes and RPGs there is no difference. Had they focused purely on cars or vehicles that criminals can obtain, like trucks and SUVs with a detailed damage model it would have been interesting. Damage model as in more than your typical "magical disable" or "blows up when receives enough damage".

Shooting out the tires, or putting some rounds into the engine block to cause the vehicle to stop to function properly (or at all) requiring the team of thieves to escape on foot or hijack another car. It would be much more interesting. They would then have to transfer the loot, or just carry by foot (if possible). Both of which make them more exposed. Shots to the door would not cause any damage to the vehicles function unlike other BF games.

And drop the amount of rifles/tacticool stuff for the bad guys. Especially the LMGs and sniper rifles. How many criminals use those? Put in some more sensible weapons for the theme, sensible paylods (~3-6 mags depending on what you have to carry) add in body armor (~10-20 shots of 9mm may be required for chest shots) and the game will start feeling different.

Everyone running around with assault rifles, $1200 scopes, RPGs, mini gun mounted vehicles and attack planes just looks stupid. I would rather have had them keep the military theme but add in more vehicles/weapons/maps.

The Battlepack system always reeked of microtransaction-bait.

Agreed, you can just smell that its EA pushing the boundaries until they have totally monetized every aspect of these games. First it was server rentals, then map packs without any community content, then unlock packs, and now battlefield packs. It won't be long until EA has fully realized John Ricciotello's dream of charging users for additional bullets.

It is a single player game, slapped with some multiplayer, to keep up with the COD franchise.

It reminds me of a first person GTA V. Which in itself is fun open world with good multiplayer. (havent played in in months tho, dont have my ps3 hooked up)

I think this is why he got fired.

9qsFUVV.jpg

That was too good.

I say we start a petition to put Battlefield in front of every upcoming EA game.

Battlefield Battle Front 3
Battlefield Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare
Battlefield The Sims 4

in other news, battlefield 3 is now free to play.

Shall we tally the number of people claiming they will not buy this based on BF4's awfulness, only to end up purchasing the season pass and renewing the yearly cycle of denial?

EA has been on my shit list for years(really started with the horrible launch of the first battlefield game). With the bullshit with bf3 I'm done. I didn't buy 4 and it appears that it was for the best.

Looking at the screen shots confirms my suspicions. The gameplay is the same as the military based Battlefields. Cops and robbers with RPGs and mini guns? :p

Yea that was my first thought. Anyway if they limited the weapons some maybe it could be ok. Really I don't see this as a BF game though. It should be its own franchise.

Agreed, you can just smell that its EA pushing the boundaries until they have totally monetized every aspect of these games. First it was server rentals, then map packs without any community content, then unlock packs, and now battlefield packs. It won't be long until EA has fully realized John Ricciotello's dream of charging users for additional bullets.

Agreed, sadly.

When I heard that you got "Battlepacks" that contained random rewards when you levelled up, I had assumed that they were purchasable via microtransactions already.

I think making it a new IP would have been better. Battlefield 4 really did a lot to tarnish the brand.

Well dice wants to assure us that everything will be a ok.
By now, many of you have probably heard about the next title in the Battlefield series, Battlefield Hardline. The Visceral Studio team has done an amazing job of bringing in a completely new concept while staying true to the Battlefield core gameplay pillars. I’ve been working with Visceral GM Steve Papoutsis and his team for several years on the cops vs. criminals concept and we think you guys are going to love it! We’ve always dared to try new settings and experiences with Battlefield and seeing this new one take shape is a long lasting dream come true.

That said, I want to be sure you all understand that introducing Hardline in no way means we’re done working on Battlefield 4. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Visceral team is leading the development of Hardline, while the DICE team continues to drive BF4. We are committed to giving you the best BF4 experience possible.

note i bolded several years because that is a load of shit.
they probably started developing this game close to the release of bf4.

Back