Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

That motorcycle hit about half way through almost made me spit up my coffee. Great stuff!

servers are crashing a lot today. not during the game but loading. connection issues. ddos?

AMEN and AMEN

IIRC these guys have a ping cap of 150: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf...-24-7-CONQUEST-Soldiers-of-Chaos-All-Maps-LA/

I recall playing European servers frequently in BF3 and so many of them had ping caps. Why don't US servers use more ping caps? I believe many a frustration would be rectified if ping caps were more widely used.

Why is this an issue? Forgive my ignorance!

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1040576410 said:
My 2600k @ 4.9ghz HT off is usually around 70-75% usage and my gtx670 is pegged at 99%....

Yeah, but you play BF4: COD edition. What happens on 64 Conquest Large servers?

FWIW, 4670K @ 4.3Ghz (fuck off) @ 100% usage and my 780Ti @ 1210/7800 ranges from 60 to 99. If I turn AA and AO on, it will stay @ 99, but FPS goes down. So screw GPU usage! Sometimes I'm @ 60% w/ 200 frames.

I know you use a mix of settings too, so it's interesting that you get max GPU usage. I wonder if it's a 780 thing. Anyone else w/ a 780 NOT using AA or AO getting similar GPU usage as me? Try to jump on tonight if you can. I'd like to match your settings and see what happens to my GPU usage...

That is just damn impressive, nice shooting. Do you sleep with your SRAW at night?

He has a SRAW in his pants.

Anyone else notice the reply email link is sending you to the LAST post instead of the LAST READ post?

Yes and no. That is only one step at diagnosing the problem. The throttle axis of the joystick is bound to the XBox controller's analog triggers somehow in the game configuration files, that's why it will empty your mag on your gun. The other weird movements such as spinning in place, sprinting all the time or not sprinting at all have to do with the joystick's deadzone and calibration in windows control panel, or simply search "setup usb game controllers" in windows search.

Take the time to unbind all joystick settings to every thing you don't want to use a joystick for, particularly when you are on foot.

Anyone else have the gamepad/joystick bug where pressing certain buttons on the gamepad/joystick brings up in-game Battlelog? I've gone through config and unbound the joystick from EVERYTHING except helo/jet flight controls.

I'm not much of a pilot, but I am better when I can use my gamepad. Because of this bug I do not ever even try flying in BF4.

1920x1080 @ 120hz
70 FOV
Motion Blur - Off
Depth of Field - Off
Texture Quality - Ultra
Texture Filtering - Ultra
Lighting - Medium
Effects - Low
Post Process Quality - Medium
Mesh Quality - Low
Terrain Quality - Ultra
Terrain Decoration - Low
AA Deferred - 2xMSAA
AA Post - Off
Ambient Occlusion - Off

Can people post their thoughts on what graphic settings are optimal for competitive advantage in terms of target identification in BF4?

Using §·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï settings above (except 90 FOV and 1920x1200) I am getting 90-120fps (also with a single GTX670 but only boosting to 1176MHz). Unfortunately I only have a 60Hz monitor so I will start cranking some of these settings up.

The biggest thing I noticed using the settings above is that when in armor, Active Protection no longer drops me to 10fps when it deflects incoming attacks.

I want the best graphical fidelity with also the best "vision" to acquire targets at all ranges while maintaining 60fps on my config.

Thanks!

I prefer 135% resolution scale over any form of AA. It's sharper than 4xMSAA and the performance difference is the same as 2xMSAA.

I also keep everything on Low/Off except Textures on Ultra. The less visual distractions, the better off you are.

Well yeah. I can run this game on Ultra/1080p + SweetFX with a 7870 and have average framerate in the mid/high 50's on a 6 core Phenom II. A GTX 780 with mixed settings at 1080p can run the game with one hand tied behind its back.

I'm trying to keep 120FPS + for a 120Hz monitor. I'm seeing dips under 100 in any non CQB map.

I have everything on low/off settings except texture filtering, which I have on high. Fov is at 83 or 85 (don't remember :p), with my Fps capped at 125 using an asus vg248qe 144hz monitor.

Runs buttery smooth at those settings.

Can people post their thoughts on what graphic settings are optimal for competitive advantage in terms of target identification in BF4?

Using §·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï settings above (except 90 FOV and 1920x1200) I am getting 90-120fps (also with a single GTX670 but only boosting to 1176MHz). Unfortunately I only have a 60Hz monitor so I will start cranking some of these settings up.

The biggest thing I noticed using the settings above is that when in armor, Active Protection no longer drops me to 10fps when it deflects incoming attacks.

I want the best graphical fidelity with also the best "vision" to acquire targets at all ranges while maintaining 60fps on my config.

Thanks!

What is your CPU?

My FPS are still SO varied it's really irritating!

I'm trying to keep 120FPS + for a 120Hz monitor. I'm seeing dips under 100 in any non CQB map.

Right. what I'm saying is that a 780 is so powerful, it doesn't have to sweat at 1080p and lowered settings, in BF4. At that point, you are likely CPU limited. The frames are so easy for the 780 to process, that it can't be fed fast enough by the CPU, to really stay busy (and get higher utilization).

What is your CPU?

My FPS are still SO varied it's really irritating!

3770K @ 4.5GHz stable overclock (using turbo, so desktop is 1.6GHz).

Is there a tool to determine "optimal" FOV for BF4 based on resolution? Can't remember if it's vertical or horizontal FOV in the menu. I play at 1920x1200 and am using 90 which feels pretty normal.

Lol I spent some time doing HC and conquest. I dont know if its me or what but 1/3 of my deaths are by my own teammates.

I ran into something new, the lvl 110 admin on the Rush server I was on was wrecking shop, alright no big deal right? I started noticing that fairly often when I would die, his ping would be at 250, the rest of the time it was at 50ish.

Well I think I am stuck with an overutilized CPU and playing in windowed mode. I CANNOT figure out why my mouse never shows up in full screen lol.

I even formatted before installing BF4 and my mouse STILL doesn't show up in full screen mode....real annoying.

As much as I am loving this game right now I find myself concerned about the "fixes" coming per the DICE dev post following. I am really enjoying this installment of BF, nearly as much as the original, and I think it is due in no small part to the parity across roles. Post patch I can see the kind of total air domination ushered in by BF:V (the 2 tank shots to down a huey sort of stupid) and everyone else DMR spamming...kind of like the way hardcore is now.

Joy.

UPDATED JAN 27:
Upcoming Game Update
We are aiming to get a new update live for all platforms at the end of January/beginning of February (timing might change.) This update will include a number of stability improvements, tweaks, and fixes. We will get back to you with the change notes as the update goes live.

Upcoming Gameplay Balancing
We are actively looking for your feedback on a couple of core gameplay balancing items. Head to this Battlefield Blog post [blogs.battlefield.com] to make your voice heard. In the upcoming weeks, we will also share a large number of balancing tweaks that we are making to Battlefield 4 in future updates, including changes to DMR performance, anti-air, and more.

BF4 Multiplayer Experience
We are looking to improve a number of items to further enhance the overall multiplayer experience. We will share more details on this in February. In the meantime, thanks for your feedback on items that you have helped us identify.

The Battlefield 4 Control Room is where we gather all the latest intel on what we are doing to constantly improve the game based on your feedback. We at DICE have a long tradition of supporting our games and our community well after the release of a title. While millions of players are enjoying Battlefield 4, we are aware that some players are experiencing issues with the game. While some platforms have had only minor problems, others have had more than their fair share of issues. Resolving these is our #1 priority.

Well I think I am stuck with an overutilized CPU and playing in windowed mode. I CANNOT figure out why my mouse never shows up in full screen lol.

I even formatted before installing BF4 and my mouse STILL doesn't show up in full screen mode....real annoying.

Blame Battlefield. Honestly. It's the most likely situation. I would highly doubt its anything on your end. Just some bug that arises with some specific hardware/software combination and BF4.

If anyone on this thread is a serious battlefielder and wants to play the objective as a team let me know. I'm trying to make some contacts so we can build a real team of players that want to win, not just meander around the map. PM me if you're interested.

OK, maybe it'as not quite as bad as I'd feared re: AA but for the life of me I cannot understand where the nerf for the SLAMs comes from:

Aircraft and Anti-Aircraft
1) Reduced the total amount of missiles carried by the Mobile Anti-Aircraft vehicles from 6 to 4. The total carried missiles were making it impossible for helicopters to use counter measures to avoid the MAA’s attacks.
2) Reduced the velocity of the MAA’s default 20MM CANNON from 1200m/s to 800m/s to match the 30MM CANNON. This reduction reduces the distance projectiles will travel and should prevent situations where the MAA could engage enemy vehicles without leaving its protected home base. The damage of the cannons remains unchanged, and aircraft, especially helicopters, should remain wary of getting too close to a MAA.
3) Reduced the physical impact of all Anti-Aircraft missiles to prevent helicopters from flipping uncontrollably when hit. The damage values have not been changed.
4) Reduced the cone in which ACTIVE RADAR missiles search for targets, making them require a higher level of skill in predicting where a target will be when the missile is fired. The missiles were previously too easy to aim at long range, making them a guaranteed hit and a clear advantage over the other missile types.
5) Increased the direct damage done by the Attack Helicopter’s gunner cannon. The gunner will be better able to assist the pilot in taking down vehicle targets with this change.
6) Increased the direct hit damage of the Zuni Rockets for Attack Helicopters. The rate of fire of these rockets combined with their smaller magazine pool made them a poor choice over the other two rocket types.
7) Reduced the splash damage and maximum splash damage range of the Scout Helicopter 25MM CANNONS. These weapons were too effective against infantry with a higher splash, making them a clear choice over the 7.62 MINIGUNS in all combat situations. The 25MM CANNONS are intended to give the Scout Helicopter some measure of effectiveness against vehicles, at a clear trade off in effectiveness vs. infantry.
Tanks and Anti-Tank
1) Reduced the “intelligence” of the MBT LAW missiles, requiring the player to aim the missile closer to their target before the smart projectile will activate. Additionally, the MBT LAW now reloads slightly slower. This keeps the MBT LAW in its role of an easy to use, fire and forget weapon available to all Engineers, while also balancing it with the other rocket launchers in favor of skilled AT shots. Finally, a bug where the MBT LAW would pass through an ACTIVE PROTECTION shield has been fixed.
2) Fixed an issue where ACTIVE PROTECTION and the MP-APS did not properly stop 12G FRAG rounds.
3) Reduced the range where the M2 SLAM will do maximum damage to vehicles from 6M to 3M. Players will now need to be craftier when placing the M2 SLAM in order to get the full damage potential of this ambush anti vehicle weapon. This change is to primarily counter a tactic of placing 3 mines in the same spot to guarantee a kill on any vehicle passing within 6m. The range was deemed to be too large, making the M2 SLAM far superior to the M15 AT MINE.
4) Reduced the damage the STAFF shell does to all targets by 25%. This should balance the ease of use of the STAFF shell with its damage potential.

Upcoming Gameplay Balancing
We are actively looking for your feedback on a couple of core gameplay balancing items. Head to this Battlefield Blog post [blogs.battlefield.com] to make your voice heard. In the upcoming weeks, we will also share a large number of balancing tweaks that we are making to Battlefield 4 in future updates, including changes to DMR performance, anti-air, and more.

Don't see anything wrong with the DMRs as they are. I often use them without scopes as closer range weapons simply to use something more powerful even if I get a lower rate of fire.

AA does need to be changed. I finally tried using active missiles myself. It is absurd how quick they can reload. Though racking up the kills was fun...

i find my main issue with DMR's is i get the hip fire iron site bug a lot with them.

like you see with the RPG-7 where you aim down the sight and the RPG shoots off to the side for no apparent reason.

i have that happen to me a lot with the DMR's so the guy can be standing still and im standing still and my first shot misses and every shot after that is hip fire accuracy, making it impossible to hit something without going back to hip fire and then sighting up again. pretty damn annoying to be honest. it doesn't happen all the time but enough to where i notice it.

OK, maybe it'as not quite as bad as I'd feared re: AA but for the life of me I cannot understand where the nerf for the SLAMs comes from:

Aircraft and....
....... potential.

SLAMs are pretty beastly right now. 3 together could take out anything. Drop them in shallow water or near a dock and you could take out the large patrol boats. 3 grouped together on a low wall or wrecked car will take out a tank and 6m is as wide as most urban entry points. Not as bad as the radar missiles, but made placement pretty easy, now you will have to be much more tactical.

I was always surprised people didn't use more of them, very versatile. Then again, I am glad many people dont us them...

Changes overall sound decent. I really feel this is one of the more balanced BFs in a while, so nice to see the changes being fairly minimal. As is true in any BF game, teamwork can always beat a particular weapon system, or make a particular system seem OP, depending whose team is 'working'.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen anyone complain about SLAMs, ever. That said, I absolutely love them. Flood Zone, Paracel, and Golmund are my favorite hunting grounds....especially booby trapping the helo at C on Golmund. Really glad that feature isn't going away.

Aircraft and Anti-Aircraft
1) Reduced the total amount of missiles carried by the Mobile Anti-Aircraft vehicles from 6 to 4. The total carried missiles were making it impossible for helicopters to use counter measures to avoid the MAA’s attacks.
2) Reduced the velocity of the MAA’s default 20MM CANNON from 1200m/s to 800m/s to match the 30MM CANNON. This reduction reduces the distance projectiles will travel and should prevent situations where the MAA could engage enemy vehicles without leaving its protected home base. The damage of the cannons remains unchanged, and aircraft, especially helicopters, should remain wary of getting too close to a MAA.
3) Reduced the physical impact of all Anti-Aircraft missiles to prevent helicopters from flipping uncontrollably when hit. The damage values have not been changed.
4) Reduced the cone in which ACTIVE RADAR missiles search for targets, making them require a higher level of skill in predicting where a target will be when the missile is fired. The missiles were previously too easy to aim at long range, making them a guaranteed hit and a clear advantage over the other missile types.
5) Increased the direct damage done by the Attack Helicopter’s gunner cannon. The gunner will be better able to assist the pilot in taking down vehicle targets with this change.
6) Increased the direct hit damage of the Zuni Rockets for Attack Helicopters. The rate of fire of these rockets combined with their smaller magazine pool made them a poor choice over the other two rocket types.
7) Reduced the splash damage and maximum splash damage range of the Scout Helicopter 25MM CANNONS. These weapons were too effective against infantry with a higher splash, making them a clear choice over the 7.62 MINIGUNS in all combat situations. The 25MM CANNONS are intended to give the Scout Helicopter some measure of effectiveness against vehicles, at a clear trade off in effectiveness vs. infantry.
Tanks and Anti-Tank
1) Reduced the “intelligence” of the MBT LAW missiles, requiring the player to aim the missile closer to their target before the smart projectile will activate. Additionally, the MBT LAW now reloads slightly slower. This keeps the MBT LAW in its role of an easy to use, fire and forget weapon available to all Engineers, while also balancing it with the other rocket launchers in favor of skilled AT shots. Finally, a bug where the MBT LAW would pass through an ACTIVE PROTECTION shield has been fixed.
2) Fixed an issue where ACTIVE PROTECTION and the MP-APS did not properly stop 12G FRAG rounds.
3) Reduced the range where the M2 SLAM will do maximum damage to vehicles from 6M to 3M. Players will now need to be craftier when placing the M2 SLAM in order to get the full damage potential of this ambush anti vehicle weapon. This change is to primarily counter a tactic of placing 3 mines in the same spot to guarantee a kill on any vehicle passing within 6m. The range was deemed to be too large, making the M2 SLAM far superior to the M15 AT MINE.
4) Reduced the damage the STAFF shell does to all targets by 25%. This should balance the ease of use of the STAFF shell with its damage potential.

Personally, i think the amount of choppers, AA, lav and tanks in this game are heavily abused. Esp with those using heatsinkers and flur. One single LAV could hand your entire team its ass if abused they way they have been.

If anything, engineers and support need to be able to carry more munitions to deal with it. I just think the entire game is heavily abused on the vehicle front of things.

Where are these changes listed? Are they official? I thought they said update would be later?

Also, the M2 Slam is the devil!

Don't SLAMS also kill teammates when they get near them, like running over mines in hardcore mode?

I recall playing European servers frequently in BF3 and so many of them had ping caps. Why don't US servers use more ping caps? I believe many a frustration would be rectified if ping caps were more widely used.
The answer is quite simple, and is simply more bullshit from EA. I will explain why.

There are 3 types of servers. Official, Ranked, and Unofficial.

Official = These fit EA's guidelines for servers, entirely default settings but map choice is up to admin. Denoted by a double chevron in map list looks like "^". Cannot ban or kick by player name for any reason (e.g. high ping, cheating, glitching) which limits admins ability to kick with automated admin scripting tools. There is a workaround to ban people by IP address, but as soon as their ISP issues a new IP, they can get back on. This is the most popular server type as admins want to attract players to the server (to justify cost) and the instant play feature dumps noobs only into these servers. Expect the occasional hacker in these servers and more noobs than you can count.

Ranked = Still give out points, but admins are free to install 3rd party programs to control them such as PBBans, ProCon, etc. and all the scripts they need such as ones to kick due to high ping. Denoted by a single chevron "^" with a tilde "~" over it in the map list. Everything in control of by Admin. 2nd most popular server type. These are the best servers to play on if you want good admins, decent players, and teamwork. Expect very few hackers to get through, and if they do it is usually at times of day when no admin is on (late at night early morning). Only downside is the occasional heavy handed admin.

Unranked = No points toward ranking or unlocks. Everything controlled by Admin. Least popular server type. Expect a lot of hackers.

Right. what I'm saying is that a 780 is so powerful, it doesn't have to sweat at 1080p and lowered settings, in BF4. At that point, you are likely CPU limited. The frames are so easy for the 780 to process, that it can't be fed fast enough by the CPU, to really stay busy (and get higher utilization).

I see peak 70% maybe on a thread on my 2600K, average CPU across all cores is 60% :/

I was inspired by Wildace's videos to try out the SRAW... and I'm terrible with it :p. After 20-30mins of use, I finally nailed a little bird and got 3 kills out of it. Tough to use, but damn does it feel rewarding!

I was inspired by Wildace's videos to try out the SRAW... and I'm terrible with it :p. After 20-30mins of use, I finally nailed a little bird and got 3 kills out of it. Tough to use, but damn does it feel rewarding!

yeah you get a nice rush when you see or hear the explosion and see multi kills plastered across the screen.

Back