Battlefield 4 Beta Discussion

BF2 had destroyable team assests like the artillery and UAV trailer. Commander couldn't use them again they were repaired. Is this not being brought back in BF4?

i have a vague memory of reading something about destroyable assets being brought back, like the Karkand bridge etc.

Probably the novelty of bringing down a large building. I'm sure it'll wear off and not be so abundant.

Although I do think they should incorporate some destroyable team assets that engineers have to repair. That'd be neat. Air control tower or runway = no jets until it is repaired. Bridges that offer a shortcut to a flag from your base. Stuff like that.

I think remember having to repair UAV satellite, And I think artillery guns in bf2. Since there are commanders, they will utilize those type of constructions to assist the team,.....hopefully

So no preload for the Open Beta? I just checked it says 10/4. So they're going to make everyone wait and will do it at the same time, have massive problems, and then when it will start download will go at a snail's pace. By the time I get it downloaded the beta will be over.

Hey! Nice to see you didn't boycott the beta :p
I really hope they change the way all of the guns "feel', as strange as that sounds something feels off about every single one. I changed drivers back to 320.49 from the "Bf4 betas", those things broke sli for me with only about 50% usage and long spikes to 5 fps. Now it stays at high 50's on ultra, not that I play there.
I don't know what I was expecting with levolution, maybe I need to wait for more maps to really feel its effects. When I play beta next, I'll try to take out a tank at B, while taking out the garage pillars. Hopefully that'll spur my giggles.

The beta was free and didn't cost me a dime, I'm still completely undecided on buying a game that cost 110$ and the beta helps me to make at least a slightly educated decision. There have already been reports of hacking on the forums, not looking forward to that. Maybe the hackers will jump into bf4 and I can go back to playing bf3.

I had the same feeling when I first played, couldn't quite put my finger on it. It was definitely something with the weapons, like they reduced the bullet drop just enough to make it noticable IMO. I think it's still a far cry from Call of Duty, but my first impression was that DICE eased up on the learning curve. Tanks seem much more maneuverable and RPG's seem to fly straighter among other things. I'm sure I'll get used to it, because it IS a fun game and they've really improved some aspects of it. Right now though, I prefer "the way it was."

recoil is less of an obstacle

overall accuracy seems higher

reloading an LMG takes about 1/3 the time it does in BF3

Yea, you can blow through those shutters with explosives. I also like how there are working elevators. Those surprised me.

Yeah, I love the gameplay touches like the shutters, elevators, and pillar barriers you can raise/lower on the bridges to block tanks/etc. from crossing... :D.

I really, really tried to like the game, but its just bad.

The good thing it can be fixed.

In the ticket match (death match style) whoever gets to the elevators/top first wins. It's really as simple as that.

The game just feels like call of duty instead of battlefield in close quarters, I don't know why.

It still needs a lot of performance improvements as well, probably because i have an nvidia card.

I'm getting between 30-50 fps, everything on Ultra settings 30" monitor...I'm using a single 680GTX. No problems running this at all. This early beta reminds me of when BF3 was initially released. You can tell graphics are dialed back. Going from High settings to Ultra didn't do much. I actually liked the map...The game is very much like BF3 but has the possibility of being better. We will see.

So no preload for the Open Beta? I just checked it says 10/4. So they're going to make everyone wait and will do it at the same time, have massive problems, and then when it will start download will go at a snail's pace. By the time I get it downloaded the beta will be over.

Wow.

Last edited:
Is the open beta gonna be up at midnight EAST or?

Last edited:

Someone is bitter.

For those waiting on the open beta to start that are running W7 but have W8 licenses laying around, I'd recommend using this time to upgrade to W8.

On my sig machine
W7: 45-80 fps with 80 being a rarity
W8: 70-120 fps with trips into the century bracket being quite frequent.

Might get lucky and the open beta will also come with an update to fix the poor resource utilization under W7

i played it this past evening runs smooth as butter. textures set to ultra everything else high.
specs: i5(sandy)Tahiti le@1200 16gb ram ssd win 8.latest beta drivers.
Had fun once i got going.love riding in the chopper(if you can find somebody to drive/fly) mowing down snipes or whoever.

For those waiting on the open beta to start that are running W7 but have W8 licenses laying around, I'd recommend using this time to upgrade to W8.

On my sig machine
W7: 45-80 fps with 80 being a rarity
W8: 70-120 fps with trips into the century bracket being quite frequent.

Might get lucky and the open beta will also come with an update to fix the poor resource utilization under W7

Interesting. What does your CPU utilization look like under windows 8?

waiting since 4am east, nothing yet. Gotta love their release time accuracy.

Definitely like what they did for snipers with the bullet drop compensation dial (V). Nice extra feature that snipers are able to enjoy in real life. Now if they were able to provide the assault or support class with a rangefinder we could have legit sniper teams.

Sniping is typically the last thing I go for since.....ever...but I like it for this map. Though I have a feeling based on drop compensation that this map is WAY smaller then what some of them will be...or at least they have draw distance dialed WAY down. Go pick up a sniper rifle, change the drop compensation to 1km (1000m) and take a shot and you'll see why I think that. I typically adjust it to 200m and that is almost dead on for shooting from one side of the bay to the other.

I'll check with Origin later to download the Open Beta. Just hope it can be ready to go before I get home tonight.

I downloaded the latest Nvidia beta drivers, and they have definitely improved the performance of the game. It is running much more smoothly now.

The more I played it last night the more I liked it!! Squad play is good, VOIP is great! Almost had a BF2 feel that brought back some good memories. Tanks are better than BF3 too. The working elevators and moving pillars in front of the bridges was a nice touch!!

Again ran smooth as butter on my rig...Using Nvidia's latest drivers, not beta.

Definitely like what they did for snipers with the bullet drop compensation dial (V). Nice extra feature that snipers are able to enjoy in real life. Now if they were able to provide the assault or support class with a rangefinder we could have legit sniper teams.

Sniping is typically the last thing I go for since.....ever...but I like it for this map. Though I have a feeling based on drop compensation that this map is WAY smaller then what some of them will be...or at least they have draw distance dialed WAY down. Go pick up a sniper rifle, change the drop compensation to 1km (1000m) and take a shot and you'll see why I think that. I typically adjust it to 200m and that is almost dead on for shooting from one side of the bay to the other.

The support class AirBurst gun has a LRF built into it. Also its a very very effective counter-sniper weapon.

Just because this demo beta runs well on 8, doesn't mean I'll upgrade from 7. However it is interesting. Maybe a good review is in order when the retail version comes out. I haven't even pre ordered yet.

Stuck on the loading screen, tried running as admin, reinstalled punkbusters and still cant get past the damn loading screen :(

I've been playing for a few days now. I'm generally Meh, but that being said its mostly because this is such a limited beta.

Real Complaints

- I hate the sniping. The "vapour trail" or whatever you want to call it is terrible. I can't believe they instituted that. It was easy enough to spot snipers in BF3, they didn't need to make it even easier in BF4. Also, the bullet mechanics seem more arcadey for snipers.

- The whole glitchy tv feed style is terrible. I don't need my HUD to be some sort of CCTV simulator. That's super lame. If they want to make it more realistic and battlefield ready, make it like Google Glass, or just don't have a HUD at all.

- Terrible optimization. It's still in Beta, and I hope they do indeed fix the performance, but it is painful to me the way it is right now. Frame latency blips and all, it makes for a poor experience for me.

Other than that, I'm ok with almost everything else. My biggest gripe is that the Beta is only 1 level and doesn't include commander mode. it feels so limited that I don't feel like I'm actually getting to test out the game. As it is I'm finding very little motivation to play. Might as well wait for full release. 2-3 Maps with commander mode would have been better for me.

I recently discovered this after watching a JackFrags video on YT.

I think this is an awesome feature, and I will try it out later this evening. I can't wait to snipe a few people from the rooftops. I know that's not something people appreciate, but its a lot of fun :)

I have to say though that I am not a camper by any means!

Stuck on the loading screen, tried running as admin, reinstalled punkbusters and still cant get past the damn loading screen :(

Are you referring to the loading screen when joining a server? If so, give it a few minutes. I've seen that it takes quite a bit of time to actually load the level. I did the same thing at first but then I just decided to wait and eventually it pulled up. I'm not saying it's acceptable but i'm sure it will be improved with retail.

Are you referring to the loading screen when joining a server? If so, give it a few minutes. I've seen that it takes quite a bit of time to actually load the level. I did the same thing at first but then I just decided to wait and eventually it pulled up. I'm not saying it's acceptable but i'm sure it will be improved with retail.

Agreed! My first time in took a while...I thought it locked up. Be patient young one.

I had the same issue, run pbsetup again and add bf4.exe, then update. That fixed it for me.

How do I airburst the grenade?

mouse-click.png

So it seems like most of you guys are getting playable performance in the beta. It's way to stuttery for me. Unplayable! Tried every suggested fix except upgrading to Windows 8, and that's not happening any time soon.

Most definitely playable performance, although I have determined that I may need to upgrade my system because I need my 120FPS! Still running 1st gen i7 920 (running @3.8Ghz with a GTX670). I'm running at around 60-70FPS now, which is definitely playable. It does stutter every now and again and the frames will drop to 50 or so, but it's not too often.

We shall see when the full game is released.

Back