Battlefield 4 Beta Discussion

Shooting at soldiers with the shell is near pointless.
- Wacky 1-shot sniper rifle on C flag at the beginning of the game. Holy insta-gib Batman! Seems kinda gimmicky to have these one-off pick up guns here and there. Not a fan.
- Chopper reloads seem about right. Those Air-to-air missile/flare battles in BF3 were just dumb. Now it's get on with it and kill each other! No more mass-raping with competent pilot/gunner. Now a good combo can certainly turn the tide, but can no longer dominate with bunch kills. I totally agree with this. Though you will see heli rapes, just not as often imo. Especially with the SILENT incoming lock-on Rpgs.
- Gun play doesn't feel quite as fun as in BF3. The guns available in the beta seem to lack some punch. I don't know if that's an audio thing or visual thing. It just feels a little off. I thought BF3 was awesome in this regard. <This as well, I'm not knocking the guns, they just feel off.
- Hey DICE, do you hate medics? Do you? We now have like 2.5 seconds to revive a dead guy. Stop that nonsense! Of the 40 or so hours I plopped into the beta, I kid you not, I was revived FOUR times.
^^ There will be a perk to speed up revives, as well as another perk to have TWO med packs/boxes healing different people at the same time.
- I miss the class perk upgrades. I know we have field upgrades now and I do like the attempt at rewarding good squad play in real time. But are the perks randomly assigned? Sometimes I see ammo, sometimes I see nades. Do the BF gods choose this?
^^In the beta it seems there was only two sets of perks available. I believe in retail there will be 30+(maybe 40) to choose from.
I'm going to pre-order the game. Fixed that for ya:D

"...but will be unlockable just like the Support's ammo box was...necromancy...You have to charge the paddles before reviving to bring a person back at full health.
Thats where I saw the crate! I thought it was a bug, or the actual crate was patched in late. Thx for letting me know it's an unlock & the charging "feature" of the paddles. Lol @ necro
That said, there will still be the 6 second cooldown after 2/3 revives to stop medic trains.
There WILL be a perk to speed up revive times & dual med packs(maybe medic crates?). Dice has confirmed so many perks its kinda crazy. I'll see if I can find a list

Bah. Is the premium worth it? Any worthwhile perks?

Not so much, 3 Gold battlepacks...yeah.... But still I think you get a small discount over buying each dlc separately. You also get access to each dlc early and "weekly" content updates, whatever that could mean. In the end they'll get my interest free loan just cause I don't want to fork out in the future.
I've only started playing BF3 this year so I know I will get my moneys worth, again that is subjective.

List of Battlefield 4 field upgrade paths aka perks, I assume you have to unlock these and then mix and match for each class...not sure yet. Got these from here
http://bf4central.com/2013/09/battlefield-4-field-upgrades-revealed/
This link has better perk descriptions as well http://blogs.battlefield.com/2013/08/road-to-bf4-field-upgrades/
Defensive: Armor &#8211; Cover &#8211; Flak &#8211; Quick regen
Offensive: Print &#8211; Ammo &#8211; Grenades &#8211; Reduced Fall
Shadow: Quick unspot &#8211; Sprint &#8211; Reduced Fall &#8211; Stealth
Combat Medic: Medkit upgrade &#8211; Sprint &#8211; Defibrillator upgrade &#8211; Medical Unit
Grenadier: Grenades &#8211; Sprint &#8211; 40mm grenades &#8211; Flak
Anti-tank: Mines &#8211; Rockets &#8211; More deployed explosives &#8211; Flak
Mechanic: Fast repair &#8211; Flak &#8211; Cover &#8211; Repair unit
Indirect fire: Ammo box upgrade &#8211; Ammo &#8211; Indirect fire &#8211; Resupply unit
Perimeter defense: Ammo &#8211; Suppression &#8211; Claymores &#8211; MP-APS upgrade
Spec Ops: Stealth &#8211; C4 Explosives &#8211; Motion sensors &#8211; Quick unspot
Sniper: Hold breath &#8211; Cover &#8211; Quick Unspot &#8211; Advanced spot

That silly image distorting/wave effect on all of the games menu screens has got to go. It's pointless and annoying. When companies do stuff like that just for the heck of it, ahem like INTRODUCING artificial motion blur, it is beyond retarded.

The lack of incoming RPG warning was not a bug?

I think the RPG lock on was a bug.....Hence the stinger/IGLA..... if RPG continues to lock on, stinger/IGLA is a waste of programmers time and money.

Last edited:
That silly image distorting/wave effect on all of the games menu screens has got to go. It's pointless and annoying. When companies do stuff like that just for the heck of it, ahem like INTRODUCING artificial motion blur, it is beyond retarded.

No one complained about it in Team Fortress 2.

are you sure the lock was silent and just not a dmbfire hit cause i have no problem hitting the choppers without a lock

are you sure the lock was silent and just not a dmbfire hit cause i have no problem hitting the choppers without a lock

The RPG rockets fire pretty fast now, so I've done some dumb fire shots on choppers, even while in another chopper. I never once got it to lock on.

Maybe they're confusing it with GTA5? That has an RPG lock.

*edit* The rumor on the BL forums is that they added the lockon to the RPG for the beta since you couldn't unlock the javelin. It allowed for feedback on the PLD mechanics. Hence why there is no warning sound.

Last edited:
The RPG rockets fire pretty fast now, so I've done some dumb fire shots on choppers, even while in another chopper. I never once got it to lock on.

Maybe they're confusing it with GTA5? That has an RPG lock.

*edit* The rumor on the BL forums is that they added the lockon to the RPG for the beta since you couldn't unlock the javelin. It allowed for feedback on the PLD mechanics. Hence why there is no warning sound.

Is there proof of that for the warning sound? It seemed like a bug to me. I would hear it most of the time in tanks and stuff, but in a heli it was inconsistent.

Javelin's in BF3 had an incoming sound as well, so...

100% there was no warning sound in the heli if a rpg lock was fired. You simply heard the lock, then seconds later got destroyed by the rpg from someone across the map. You could use the stinger and watch them pop flares every time you shot, but with the rpg they never did it because they didn't know it was fired.

The lack of warning sound in the helicopters was a bug which is now irrelevant since there won't be RPG lock-on in the retail game.

Yes it was a bug. I died alot from RPGs without any warning signals. I got hit by stingers a few times too so the lock on for stingers was working I think, but the warning signal does work except when someone uses rpgs :/

Yes it was a bug. I died alot from RPGs without any warning signals. I got hit by stingers a few times too so the lock on for stingers was working I think, but the warning signal does work except when someone uses rpgs :/

I assume the initial lock on is probably from the laser device. The RPG was probably quickly hacked to track it so the warning wasn't set up.

Supposedly DICE confirmed the RPG will be dumb in the final.

both sad and glad that RPG will be dumb fire in the final game... more realistic.

I won't lie though -- I had a blast popping tanks AND choppers with the same anti-armor weapon with the help of a recon guy.

Limit of any lock on device seemed to be 500 meters, guess that's about fair?

I also experienced the "bug" of a silent lock and then instantly dying from an RPG.

Haha I really thought that something wrong with my refresh rates the first time that I booted the game up.

both sad and glad that RPG will be dumb fire in the final game... more realistic.

I won't lie though -- I had a blast popping tanks AND choppers with the same anti-armor weapon with the help of a recon guy.

This is what the Javelin is for.

·PitBuLL·;1040294917 said:
Haha I really thought that something wrong with my refresh rates the first time that I booted the game up.

Same. A tad bit annoying.

I really wish they would add a faster reloading perk. Now before you freak out and say "go to COD they have it!". I dont mean unrealistically fast like in COD.
I mean when i watch the reloading animation i know for a fact i can reload much faster, as can so many instructors and soldiers and civilians. And before you say "ya at ranges, not being shot at" iv seen faster reloads in documentaries following soldiers on the History channel recently.

So what would i want? A faster reload time/animation. The cost/downside? Randomly once every...25 reloads (or some amount) the reload is screwed up and is actually takes longer than if you had a different perk. You watch the animation as the mag wont fully seat and he has to hit in twice for it to seat then he hits the mag release catch or cycles the bolt.

Enjoyed the BF4 beta!

Reload time is a function of the gun used. Some reload faster than others. DICE uses reload time as a means of balancing the guns. I don't think they'll ever perk in faster reloads.

Reload time is a function of the gun used. Some reload faster than others. DICE uses reload time as a means of balancing the guns. I don't think they'll ever perk in faster reloads.

I guess cause some things they decide to keep a certain way for "arcadey" reasons where as others they go for realistic...im just saying i wish they went more realistic with reloading. I think a perk that speeds you up a bit in your reload but has the downside of reloading error once ever __ times randomly would be awesome and very realistic. I like balanced but not when balance is forced...i dont want the .50 round to have the same damage amount as the .308 sniper round. I wish the guns weight were accounted for in hardcore mode so you had a sprint meter and it drained MUCH faster if you were running around with a barret .50 cal.

(Would help decrease the .50 cal Halo using snipers like in BF3 that could run around like they were carrying a MP5...balance THAT.)

I guess cause some things they decide to keep a certain way for "arcadey" reasons where as others they go for realistic...im just saying i wish they went more realistic with reloading. I think a perk that speeds you up a bit in your reload but has the downside of reloading error once ever __ times randomly would be awesome and very realistic. I like balanced but not when balance is forced...i dont want the .50 round to have the same damage amount as the .308 sniper round. I wish the guns weight were accounted for in hardcore mode so you had a sprint meter and it drained MUCH faster if you were running around with a barret .50 cal.

(Would help decrease the .50 cal Halo using snipers like in BF3 that could run around like they were carrying a MP5...balance THAT.)

It sounds like the game you want to play is ArmA 3, not Battlefield 4.

Now i want BF4 to have "Normal, Hardcore" and "Realistic" modes. And realistic be like ArmA 3 but more fun to play and not a billion things you have to remember using your entire keyboard. I own ArmA 3 and it just isnt fun to me IMO. I want it to be so badly but it just isnt.

I would hope they don't. Nothing more annoying than watching hands move at lightening speeds. DICE finally learned to animate, which is great. Would be terrible if they ruined it.

More like Festung Europa. :)

I would hope they don't. Nothing more annoying than watching hands move at lightening speeds. DICE finally learned to animate, which is great. Would be terrible if they ruined it.

Thats not what im talking about. If you have real world experience with reloading magazines you know its technique not hand speed. And i wouldnt want it to be just a animation sped up 10x faster like COD does for its perk.

THIS is what im talking about: http://youtu.be/g6Ta8t16lrk?t=6s

Speed reloads are real things that real soldiers use and train doing daily. There are a few different ways to reload...i am saying normal reloading (like in BF3-4) should stay the same, but a perk of speed reloading should be available thats faster but still well within human ability (like in the video, and no hes not some record holder or anything) but you dont get 100% speed reloads all the time like in COD, theres the downside of random failures like failure to insert the magazine correctly so your soldier spends a few seconds (animation) doing Tap-Rack-Bang / Strip-Rack-Bang like this: http://youtu.be/_IsL60XrUos

I would hope they don't.

They've done it for years. Reload speed is used as a means of gun balance. Got a gun with a lot of bullets? It'll take longer to reload.

Though they've screwed up at times. The M16A3's reload time was very low, which contributed to it being the best gun in BF3.

Reading some of the comments here and elsewhere it seems like people want a custom made game tailored uniquely to their own personal hierarchy of needs, and BF4 is "crap" until the developer meets their requirements. That about right?

You seem a bit cynical. People voicing their take on how to improve things isn't a bad thing. It makes reading an Internet forum more interesting.

You seem a bit cynical. People voicing their take on how to improve things isn't a bad thing. It makes reading an Internet forum more interesting.

It was meant tongue-in-cheek but thank you for your optimism. I've probably read more Battlefield 4 comments on various forums than most, and once you've seen 1000 "I'm cancelling my preorder unless DICE does X", you've seen them all and it begins to form a sort of thick, fetid miasma of the bizarre, devolving into full-on "meh" indifference before the thing has even had a chance to take one suck from the bottle.

Fortunately DICE has a vision for their game and realize its impractical to be pulled in 1000 different directions. People that *actually* want a snowball's chance at making a difference or at least being heard by the developer rather than just venting on a forum, people that think they have a compelling idea or argument, find out who the key DICE devs are as I have and then contact them on twitter. There, and to a lesser extent Reddit are the only places they respond to anyone (they certainly stay far away from Battlelog forums). I've gotten several responses back from them over the past year on comments and suggestions.

Will more buildings be destroyable in the real game than the beta? I was kind of disappointed how only one building could be destroyed.

Thats not what im talking about. If you have real world experience with reloading magazines you know its technique not hand speed. And i wouldnt want it to be just a animation sped up 10x faster like COD does for its perk.

THIS is what im talking about: http://youtu.be/g6Ta8t16lrk?t=6s

Speed reloads are real things that real soldiers use and train doing daily. There are a few different ways to reload...i am saying normal reloading (like in BF3-4) should stay the same, but a perk of speed reloading should be available thats faster but still well within human ability (like in the video, and no hes not some record holder or anything) but you dont get 100% speed reloads all the time like in COD, theres the downside of random failures like failure to insert the magazine correctly so your soldier spends a few seconds (animation) doing Tap-Rack-Bang / Strip-Rack-Bang like this: http://youtu.be/_IsL60XrUos

I wouldn't mind that, but the reloads for the weapons in BF3, save for a few, are about as fast as they can go. A notable exception is the Tavor, which is actually one of the quickest reloading bullpups yet is perhaps the slowest non-belt fed weapon to reload in BF3.

I can reload an AR (M4/M16) in about 2 seconds. And that is from my pocket, not a vest. The shorter magazines are quicker as you can take your thumb and press the bolt catch as soon as the magazine is seated without needing to slap or slide your thumb much. Played with a Tavor today, and it is rather quick to hit the bolt catch to. AKs are slower to reload (though not by much) than either of those two.

Random note, but maybe differences in reload speed depending on stance would be interesting. When prone you will usually have to lift the weapon up further or manually pull the magazine out as there is not much clearance with the ground. The only game that did this was GRAW 1/2 PC. GRAW 1/2 also allowed you to discharge your weapon with no magazine present and feature the proper 3rd reload animation for doing so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0cWhfD5ByU

Not really necessary in a Battlefield game, but such features would be welcome and nice. Though I would prefer better hit detection. :p

I wouldn't mind that, but the reloads for the weapons in BF3, save for a few, are about as fast as they can go. A notable exception is the Tavor, which is actually one of the quickest reloading bullpups yet is perhaps the slowest non-belt fed weapon to reload in BF3.

I can reload an AR (M4/M16) in about 2 seconds. And that is from my pocket, not a vest. The shorter magazines are quicker as you can take your thumb and press the bolt catch as soon as the magazine is seated without needing to slap or slide your thumb much. Played with a Tavor today, and it is rather quick to hit the bolt catch to. AKs are slower to reload (though not by much) than either of those two.

Random note, but maybe differences in reload speed depending on stance would be interesting. When prone you will usually have to lift the weapon up further or manually pull the magazine out as there is not much clearance with the ground. The only game that did this was GRAW 1/2 PC. GRAW 1/2 also allowed you to discharge your weapon with no magazine present and feature the proper 3rd reload animation for doing so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0cWhfD5ByU

Not really necessary in a Battlefield game, but such features would be welcome and nice. Though I would prefer better hit detection. :p

yeah i like that a lot too. I think something like "double feed! Hit __ to clear it!" is too far for BF4...BUT they obviously made a pretty big change adding the sniper "Range" options. I would say thats proof that they can get more realistic and add something else you can do if you want, that adds to the experience and fun. I think choosing the "Speed Reloads" perk and getting that fast Chris Costa/Travis Haley speed reload with the M4/16 mag flip would be so awesome, and then once every __ (random, once every 25 times or something) that malfunction and you hit "R" for reload again and he clears it but it takes 3 more seconds or something...so if your in a tight spot you probably die (i notice i die most in BF3/4 when reloading) but i dont think you'd throw your mouse or anything..cause you know its not random and once every 3 reloads...it happens like 2-5 times a 20 min match. And you die cause of it maybe 1-2 times a match. I think thats worth the quick reloads to be up and ready to blast away and get more kills.

Thats awesome you got to shoot the Tavor, that thing looks sweet and if it wasnt for my wanting a AR15 so bad (PredatOBR Larue Tactical) id strongly consider getting one as my first and only rifle (non bolt action).

yeah i like that a lot too. I think something like "double feed! Hit __ to clear it!" is too far for BF4...BUT they obviously made a pretty big change adding the sniper "Range" options. I would say thats proof that they can get more realistic and add something else you can do if you want, that adds to the experience and fun. I think choosing the "Speed Reloads" perk and getting that fast Chris Costa/Travis Haley speed reload with the M4/16 mag flip would be so awesome, and then once every __ (random, once every 25 times or something) that malfunction and you hit "R" for reload again and he clears it but it takes 3 more seconds or something...so if your in a tight spot you probably die (i notice i die most in BF3/4 when reloading) but i dont think you'd throw your mouse or anything..cause you know its not random and once every 3 reloads...it happens like 2-5 times a 20 min match. And you die cause of it maybe 1-2 times a match. I think thats worth the quick reloads to be up and ready to blast away and get more kills.

Thats awesome you got to shoot the Tavor, that thing looks sweet and if it wasnt for my wanting a AR15 so bad (PredatOBR Larue Tactical) id strongly consider getting one as my first and only rifle (non bolt action).

The sniper zeroing is nice .. but then they added that weird sniper smoke trail tracer to the bullet. Not sure what that is all about ..

The sniper zeroing is nice .. but then they added that weird sniper smoke trail tracer to the bullet. Not sure what that is all about ..

I didn't play much Recon during beta but while I can sorta understand drawing a bullet trail for balance purposes (so others can see where it came from) I can't understand drawing it from the scope POV because makes it hard to see where the bullet lands to adjust for a followup shot.

I gotta say that .50 cal pickup rifle on top of C in Shanghai is wicked however.

Will more buildings be destroyable in the real game than the beta? I was kind of disappointed how only one building could be destroyed.

Don't think so. DICE claims that when they playtested a fully destructible map where everything could be leveled then playability went to crap and it didn't really work. I imagine if they ever did try full destruction it would turn into a minigame of level every building as fast as possible and then people bitching that the map sucks and is boring.

People often cite BadCompany2 in these destruction debates as having had more destruction than bf3 and bf4, but the reality there was it was a cookie cutter building (more of a shack really) and once you took out all four walls it collapsed in the exact same way every time.

So who knows what the perfect balance is, but letting everything be spontaneously destructible also puts a bigger burden on the netcode (you blow a hole in something with a tank or RPG then that change has to be synchronized to 63 other clients), then you combine that with the fact DICE seems to not want to let the PC version outshine console version too bad, and the consoles have tighter bandwidth constraints imposed by MS (that i know for sure) and probably Sony, and so it could be destruction level is also hamstrung by trying to keep feature parity with consoles to an extent.

Last edited:
I didn't play much Recon during beta but while I can sorta understand drawing a bullet trail for balance purposes (so others can see where it came from) I can't understand drawing it from the scope POV because makes it hard to see where the bullet lands to adjust for a followup shot.

I gotta say that .50 cal pickup rifle on top of C in Shanghai is wicked however.

You guys realize in RL you can in fact see the trail of a sniper round from the right angle and if you know how to look for it right?

You guys realize in RL you can in fact see the trail of a sniper round from the right angle and if you know how to look for it right?

Yup -- and just like (as a shooter) you can see for a fraction of an instant the slug in midair under the right conditions.

Was doing some high speed shooting and with the sun behind and at a moderate angle - you can see the copper jacketed slugs in mid air about 10 to 15 feet from the barrel if you are looking in the right place.

Yup -- and just like (as a shooter) you can see for a fraction of an instant the slug in midair under the right conditions.

Was doing some high speed shooting and with the sun behind and at a moderate angle - you can see the copper jacketed slugs in mid air about 10 to 15 feet from the barrel if you are looking in the right place.

Yup :)

Don't think so. DICE claims that when they playtested a fully destructible map where everything could be leveled then playability went to crap and it didn't really work. I imagine if they ever did try full destruction it would turn into a minigame of level every building as fast as possible and then people bitching that the map sucks and is boring.

People often cite BadCompany2 in these destruction debates as having had more destruction than bf3 and bf4, but the reality there was it was a cookie cutter building (more of a shack really) and once you took out all four walls it collapsed in the exact same way every time.

So who knows what the perfect balance is, but letting everything be spontaneously destructible also puts a bigger burden on the netcode (you blow a hole in something with a tank or RPG then that change has to be synchronized to 63 other clients), then you combine that with the fact DICE seems to not want to let the PC version outshine console version too bad, and the consoles have tighter bandwidth constraints imposed by MS (that i know for sure) and probably Sony, and so it could be destruction level is also hamstrung by trying to keep feature parity with consoles to an extent.

I agree for play-ability purposes not every building can be destructible, or they can't fall down all the way. I would like to see more than just one though. Maybe just the buildings that have elevators in them.

I didn't really mind Bad Company 2 for all buildings falling the same way. I was hoping that BF3/BF4 would build on that and have a couple different ways buildings can fall depending on which side gets shot out. Instead almost no building were destructible in BF3 and it seems very few will be for BF4.

Back