Battlefield 4 Beta Discussion

Don't assume it will be that much of a difference at retail launch. DICE knows most people still have Win7. Its strictly an optimization issue, Win8 isn't inherently better for gaming.

I wonder if anyone else can confirm that much difference between OS's...otherwise I call bullshit.

I wonder if anyone else can confirm that much difference between OS's...otherwise I call bullshit.

well it confirms what a lot of users are saying. PCGH are competent testers in my opinion.

Thats some bullshit right there! Win7 and Win8 are identical under the hood! Theres no fuking way theyre getting 33.1fps more on Win8 compared to Win7!

Its strictly an optimization issue, Win8 isn't inherently better for gaming.

Yes and no.

Yes, it's a matter of optimization. No, Windows 7 doesn't have some of the features that BF4 is optimized for on Windows 8.

Its certainly not evident in hundreds of other benchmarks on spec-intensive games of the past five years -- they're usually neck and neck. What we're seeing here is just a happy accident (happy for Microsoft) of DICE coding on Win8 and forgetting to do something related to process/CPU priority to be appropriate for Win7. Its an optimization issue here.

Not trying to say there aren't some merits to Win8--I run it myself albeit with the Win7 shell (Ex7ForW8) that removes Metro from resident memory--but it means dont make any assumptions that this issue applies to games across the board and Win8 is suddenly and magically getting so much more performance out of your hardware.

Yes and no.

Yes, it's a matter of optimization. No, Windows 7 doesn't have some of the features that BF4 is optimized for on Windows 8.

All the jabber I'm reading is that it's down to DX 11.1 which is a Win 8 exclusive.

Sooo, is this dead already? Or have they not improved upon the server list? Using defaults, I have one server that has people in it (63/64). The rest are empty.

So about 15 minutes of trying to join servers. I finally get one to load and I get stuck at the deploy screen. It shows me as deployed, but I can't do anything. *shakes head* Seriously, this browser based MP is fine, but I still wouldn't mind the option of getting an ingame menu to set my damn video settings. Is the only way to gain access to the settings (Controls,Audio,Video) after you join a server?

I'm marking this one down as "wait and see". Not a sure purchase at the moment. As I keep running into problems just trying to get it to work - even to the point where Battlelog told me to "kill the BF4.exe with the task manager", lol.

I wish they'd do a proper demo after release with all the sure-to-come bug fixes applied.

Last edited:
Sooo, is this dead already? Or have they not improved upon the server list? Using defaults, I have one server that has people in it (63/64). The rest are empty.

So about 15 minutes of trying to join servers. I finally get one to load and I get stuck at the deploy screen. It shows me as deployed, but I can't do anything. *shakes head* Seriously, this browser based MP is fine, but I still wouldn't mind the option of getting an ingame menu to set my damn video settings. Is the only way to gain access to the settings (Controls,Audio,Video) after you join a server?

Damn it man .. why can't EA just "make it work". I'm marking this one down as "wait and see". Not a sure purchase at the moment.

What good is adjusting your settings if you can't even get into the game?

I'm marking this one down as "wait and see". Not a sure purchase at the moment. As I keep running into problems just trying to get it to work - even to the point where Battlelog told me to "kill the BF4.exe with the task manager", lol.

I wish they'd do a proper demo after release with all the sure-to-come bug fixes applied.

Navigate to the BF4 install folder, mark the exe to run as admin.

All the jabber I'm reading is that it's down to DX 11.1 which is a Win 8 exclusive.

Never said it wasn't due to DX 11.1.

DICE has said before that 11.1 has some CPU optimizations they've taken advantage of, and that's why they recommend 8.

QUOTE]

It's just a broken server list. Like you, I typically see only 1 or 2 servers with more than 3 people. But if I refresh, there will be a different 1 or 2 servers that are almost full. And I seldom recognize any names, which I surely would if it was the same 100 people playing the game.

Obliteration! Smear the queer before he/she plants! (Anyone remember that game as a kid?)

What good is adjusting your settings if you can't even get into the game?

Well, assuming I was able to get into the game. It'd be nice to set everything up instead of sitting in a server for 10 minutes as I fiddle around with configs.
QUOTE]

It's just a broken server list. Like you, I typically see only 1 or 2 servers with more than 3 people. But if I refresh, there will be a different 1 or 2 servers that are almost full. And I seldom recognize any names, which I surely would if it was the same 100 people playing the game.

I was afraid of that. Seems a lot of the beta issues were the same with the BF3 beta. It's like they forked development and never applied the fixes from the BF3 branch.

Im not having any server issues, but fuck the banding crap. I mean seriously...

Over a week since the beta came out and it's still in an almost unplayable state for me. 3570k @ 4.5ghz, pegged to 90%+ usage at all times. 7950s with the latest 13.11 beta drivers still stutter uncontrollably, barley breaking 40 fps at any given time and dipping down to the single digits for a second then shooting back to "normal". Server lag and rubber banding issues since the last beta update as well. Feels like I'm playing a slideshow yet I see so many other people with no issues at all.

This whole thing left a really awful impression with me. Glad I haven't tossed my money at this game yet. If it's fixed during this beta, awesome. If not, i'll wait till release (and a great sale) to pick it up.

Over a week since the beta came out and it's still in an almost unplayable state for me. 3570k @ 4.5ghz, pegged to 90%+ usage at all times. 7950s with the latest 13.11 beta drivers still stutter uncontrollably, barley breaking 40 fps at any given time and dipping down to the single digits for a second then shooting back to "normal". Server lag and rubber banding issues since the last beta update as well. Feels like I'm playing a slideshow yet I see so many other people with no issues at all.

This whole thing left a really awful impression with me. Glad I haven't tossed my money at this game yet. If it's fixed during this beta, awesome. If not, i'll wait till release (and a great sale) to pick it up.

We have similar systems. I only have 1 7950 at 1100/1300 also 13.11 betas, win 7. My CPU is about 70-80% usage and was getting a lot of FPS drops. I logged in tonight and they must have updated the servers or something because I had an extremely smooth game. I played for about 30 mins and only had 1 drop in FPS down to 20. I'm getting about 70-100 FPS at any given time.

Is windows 8.1 as terrible as windows 8? When I checked it out when if first showed up I thought it was an abomination. Is there a legit start menu and windows explorer now? Considering many upcoming games will be using FB3 engine and it has been confirmed to run much better in windows 8, it may very well be a good idea to bite the bullet on W8.1.

Why does a little part of me feel like it is dying when I think about leaving W7 for W8? LOL.

If you are using an AMD GCN card (your sig says so) you could wait for Mantle and see what happens. Assuming the performance difference is purely (or mainly) due to DX 11.1 vs DX 11 API.

This actually brings up a good point on when people do inevitably start testing Mantle in that it should be benched vs DX 11.1 in Win 8 as well and not just DX 11 in Win 7.

Is there a factual answer as to why windows 8 is receiving significantly more frames? I'm primarily curious because I have yet to see anyone recommend 8 for gaming outside of this thread and only for BF4. If the issues with 7 performance are centered on Dices' lack of optimization for the OS then why upgrade? Especially given the fact they are already intending to boost performance in 7.

I'd like to know this as well. Is there several [H] members here that have used both Win 7 &8/8.1? A concrete guess on fps boost would do it for me, even for the beta... I have to say though, after the 61Mb patch on the 8th I got a great Fps boost, then switch back to 331.40 betas and got even more.
On a sadder note, went 30-0 in an attack chopper, got my lvl 8 and was about to win with only 100 enemy tickets to go when, black screen with visual artifacts and server crash. I know it's beta but I'm sad. My best score ever, and in a chopper. Missed out on so many points... :(

Just wait for the release. All the speculation and knee-jerk reactions for purchasing things you may not end up needing at all is silly as hell.

BF4 has already been dissected like a damn frog in a short period of time and that's not even the full game. The game and driver updates with the beta and the first couple weeks of release are probably going to have positive results for most people. Just sloowwwww doowwwwwn

I've confirmed it earlier in this thread. I got about a 30fps difference which is right around what those benchmarks got on the highest end machine. Check out my post history in this thread, you'll see it.

Also, DICE has said there will be updates for windows 7 performance, but until the Mantle patch is released, Windows 8 will always have a performance advantage.

Thats some bullshit right there! Win7 and Win8 are identical under the hood! Theres no fuking way theyre getting 33.1fps more on Win8 compared to Win7!

Well, that's the thing... They aren't identical. Windows 8 is more advanced with DX 11.1/2 and WDDM 1.2/1.3

Quite frankly, unless you really believe that BF4 is going to be the only game to utilize DX 11.1/2 from here on out, it's hardly silly to do the upgrade. BF4 may have been the catalyst to trigger the upgrade, but there will be advantages to it moving forward as well.

server list is fine, both of your filters are set too high or they are messed up. I have hundreds of populated servers in the US right now at nearly 4am

Dont have superb fps but its plenty playable, most of the time i get 45 fps at ultra with 2xmsaa,(660ti). But my i5 is pegged at 100% on a crowded server so iam cpu bound. The only dip i have is when the building collapse and the dust comes in for a few seconds. So i dont consider my video card to be even mid range, its more low/med range. I use win8 with all the updates and the latest nvidia beta

Seriously get win8, install classic shell and you wont ever need to see and be in the métro interface ever, i never was... Its a great and fast os.

Thats some bullshit right there! Win7 and Win8 are identical under the hood!

No, they aren't. Windows 8's changes from 7 are pretty well documented. Up until now, there hasn't been a noticeable difference in gaming performance between the two because games haven't gone to DX 11.1. Now we're going to start seeing performance differences between the two OSes.

The best hope for people clinging to 7 like a life preserver is Mantle.

No, they aren't. Windows 8's changes from 7 are pretty well documented. Up until now, there hasn't been a noticeable difference in gaming performance between the two because games haven't gone to DX 11.1. Now we're going to start seeing performance differences between the two OSes.

The best hope for people clinging to 7 like a life preserver is Mantle.

What notable difference? If MS thinks they are going to force people to upgrade to Win 8 because of DX 11.1 then good luck with that....everything they've done up until now has worked great so far hasn't it?

Just checking in here. I'm also having frame drops like crazy. 1055t at 3.3ghz with a gtx770. 8gb gskill ripjaw, win 7 blah blah. update on the 8th didn't really do much. Tried beta drivers and 2 previous versions. Still clinging at max 30 frames 17 on average, sometimes I'll get 7 during explosions and firefights. Very unplayable. Hoping they fix the issues with this or I might try win8 and see if it fixes anything.

New update this morning. Running great for me now. Better than BF3 at this point.

server list is fine, both of your filters are set too high or they are messed up. I have hundreds of populated servers in the US right now at nearly 4am

It works for yo
QUOTE]

Glad it at least works for one person. There's plenty of people it is sketchy for.

Btw, I'm using default filters. Which I think is just US. I wonder if a more restrictive filter would work, seems you might be using one. Possibly there's abug that if too many results come back it wigs out?

Yea not sure if there was an update in the past few days (havent played) But now Im running flawlessly.. and recommended settings..

Before was just a chop fest..

Will be on it all weekend..

Back