Battlefield 3 - PC System Requirements Released

Dman2280

Limp Gawd
Here you are grasshoppers... the new 'must have' gamer specs for 2012 to replace the almighty Crysis :D

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
PROCESSOR: 2 GHZ DUAL CORE (CORE 2 DUO 2.4 GHZ OR ALTHON X2 2.7 GHZ)
MEMORY: 2 GB
HARD DRIVE: 20 GB
GRAPHICS CARD (AMD): DIRECTX 10.1 COMPATIBLE WITH 512 MB RAM (ATI RADEON 3000, 4000, 5000 OR 6000 SERIES, WITH ATI RADEON 3870 OR HIGHER PERFORMANCE)
GRAPHICS CARD (NVIDIA): DIRECTX 10.0 COMPATIBLE WITH 512 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE 8, 9, 200, 300, 400 OR 500 SERIES WITH NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GT OR HIGHER PERFORMANCE)
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
PROCESSOR: QUAD-CORE CPU
MEMORY: 4 GB
HARD DRIVE: 20 GB
GRAPHICS CARD : DIRECTX 11 COMPATIBLE WITH 1024 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 OR ATI RADEON 6950)
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE

via http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/beta

Sorry but I saw that thread is over 250 pages and its 99% gabber and talk about the game.

It seemed to be all opinions and gabber talk, and I was totally unable to find the spec info, so that's the justification for a new thread. This thread is easier to find what you people might be looking for (the specs to compare their system against it, like I usually do with new hardcore games)

Probably reading too much into it, but it is interesting that they list it as GTX 560 and not GTX 560Ti.

Can't believe 6950 is for MEDIUM settings, jeez. Need to pick another one up for Crossfire soon then :D

Recommended is usually for maxing out the game, not medium settings.

Nice, pretty light requirements for what I thought it might be.
Was worrying about friends being able to play on older computers.

I'm going to see how my system does with my 6870 and see if I can hold out till the new cards instead of getting another 6870.

Same here. I'd prefer a single slot solution to potential microstutter and driver issues.

Okay guys, Im running 3 6970's in Tri-Fire and i had ZERO microstuttering in the Apha so hopefully there should not be a problem. I was getting over 250FPS in some spots with everytyhing maxxed when i was in the Alpha. So even when they turn on somemore features i can see a 6950 handling this game at 1920X1200 without a problem.

I was getting 60+ fps with a single HD 6950 @ 1920x1080 in the Alpha, so I would expect around 30-40 fps at the same resolution in the final retail release.

I was getting 60+ fps with a single HD 6950 @ 1920x1080 in the Alpha, so I would expect around 30-40 fps at the same resolution in the final retail release.

a lot of the things turned off in the alpha were cpu related so i don't think you will have that much of a hit but i could see it running in the 50-60fps range. that 920 should pick up a lot of the slack. i'm just happy my 8800GT actually meets minimum requirements.. at least means i can still semi play the game til i replace my card after christmas.

i guess AMD and Nvidia are going to love the profits they receive from this game coming out, lol.

If it's too high, killing any form of AA/AF usually raises performace and drops vram usage. In any multiplayer I usually have AA/AF off, (and sometimes textures/shaders lower with any addons turned off) so enemies are easier to spot etc. and FPS stay as high as possible whatever happens, even if I was using 4x 580s. (though i'd want 240h/z monitors...) But the minimum specs can probably drop below this, especially on sub 1080p resolutions. On higher resolutions/multimonitor they are going to be way above this.

I have a second 6950 2GB on the way from Newegg (as well as an SSD and an H60 :D), so I'm sure I'll be set. But as far as the Alpha, the textures and shadows were dialed down quite a bit, so it only stands to reason that higher rez textures and soft shadows will push my 6950s harder.

I'll definitely be giving BF3 a try on my eyefinity setup though, just to see how it performs.

so we can download the beta for pc in 8 days? no signing up or any other quirky b.s. ?

Well obviously you need to have Origin installed on your machine, and then you need to access the Beta via Origin's Demo Application page.

Here's a quote from their website, note the section in bold:

WHERE DO I GET THE BETA?

ON PLAYSTATION 3, THE BETA WILL APPEAR AUTOMATICALLY ON THE PLAYSTATION NETWORK STORE. ON XBOX 360, IT WILL AUTOMATICALLY APPEAR ON XBOX LIVE MARKETPLACE. ON PC, IT WILL AUTOMATICALLY APPEAR IN THE ORIGIN APPLICATION'S DEMO PAGE.

Same here. I'd prefer a single slot solution to potential microstutter and driver issues.

I had driver issues with my 5970 during beta which was fixed by ATI, there was no micro stutter, micro stutter hasn't been a problem with crossfire for me for most of the 48xx range and certainly not the 5970.

pain in the arse i remember when you could just download it off of a webpage without signing up for everything.

Aw dammit....I was counting on my 5830 lasting me at LEAST another year...two tops. This is most unwelcome news.

The microstutter issue is a bit more complex than simply being black or white, I don't think whether or not the issue technically exists is really up for debate anymore.

What is actually problematic is that different people have differing sensitivity levels to it, which makes it hard to predict definitively whether or not it will be an issue for a particular individual. This is similar to people having differing views on what is considered "playable" in terms of FPS, LCD monitor response time and etc.

Well it's good to know my 470 GTX will be fine since it performs almost identically to the 560 and within a few % of the 560 Ti. So a small over clock should be good to go then. Just glad I can wait until the 600 series comes out, instead of biting the bullet and getting a 500 series card so soon.

20GB HDD requirement is gonna murder my OS/Game drive.

My poor Video Card might shoot itself after one map.

TIME TO UPGRADE.

Edit: LOL at Keyboard and Mouse requirement/recommendation.

Damn, not sure how I'll do with my single 6850. Wish I'd had gotten the 6950 when I built this rig... but I'm waiting for the 7xxx series.

There's a recent article over on Toms that reviewed all of the 6xxx series for microstutter issues. Pretty good article.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

The microstutter issue is a bit more complex than simply being black or white, I don't think whether or not the issue technically exists is really up for debate anymore.

What is actually problematic is that different people have differing sensitivity levels to it, which makes it hard to predict definitively whether or not it will be an issue for a particular individual. This is similar to people having differing views on what is considered "playable" in terms of FPS, LCD monitor response time and etc.

Microstutter isn't well defined, if you're talking about video card producing frames with differing render times then sure, ALL cards do that, not even single GPU cards produce a perfectly flat line of frame render times when plotted on a graph.

The difference is bigger with multiple GPU rendering but then so is the base frame rate. Micro stutter is only a problem when people run games at abysmally low frame rates where the frame rate is generally quite bad to begin with, 30fps looks absolutely god awful to me no matter how good the average is, you simply cannot get a smooth looking display with that, you need a good 50-60fps average to achieve something that I personally find acceptable, if I'm competitively gaming and using a CRT that at 120hz or more, I'll be pushing to get 100fps.

Either way crossfire/sli setups are going to be pushing so many frames on BF3 that it wont really matter, unless you're running eyefinity and pushing 6Mpix (3x22") or above.

I don't think you need a 580 for max settings unless you run at 1080p... which I guess most here might.

you could run at a lower res?

you could run at a lower res?

What...the...oh, you only been here 5 days. Ok. You must not understand yet what we do around here. We throw money down like its a whorehouse and we're 18 year old virgins. I'd buy a 6990 right now if it wasn't for having like...bills and stuff :)

My 580 will do just fine with BC3 (and all the other big releases) at 2560x1600 and medium settings until the 6 series is released.

Recommended indeed is.

????? I've been PC gaming for 15 years and I have never seen Recommended as maxing out a game.... I always figure recommended is the minimum baseline a hardcore gamer would want to run the game at.

Examples:

The Witcher 2 Recommended System Requirements:
· OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista SP2 / Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
· Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad or AMD Phenom X4
· Memory: 3 GB Windows XP / 4 GB Windows Vista and Windows 7
· Video Card: 1 GB RAM, supporting Pixel Shader 3.0 (Nvidia GeForce GTX260 or ATI Radeon HD4850)

LOL for trying to max witcher 2 with a 4850.

Crysis 2 Recommended System Requirements

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz, AMD Athlon 64 x2 2.66Ghz or better
GPU: NVidia GTX280 1GB, ATI 4870 1GB or better
RAM: 3GB
DX: 9
Shader: 3.0
Frame Rate Target: 30fps@1650x1080

Crysis 2 Optimum System Requirements

CPU: Intel Core i5 3.1Ghz, AMD Phenom II X6 1055T or better
GPU: NVidia GTX 560 Ti, ATI 6850 or Dual graphics cards
RAM: 4GB
DX: 11
Shader: 4.0
Frame Rate Target: 30fps@1920x1200

For once someone actually including an "optimum requirements"... as you can see recommended still won't run it very well at all.

????? I've been PC gaming for 15 years and I have never seen Recommended as maxing out a game.... I always figure recommended is the minimum baseline a hardcore gamer would want to run the game at.

Examples:

The Witcher 2 Recommended System Requirements:
· OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista SP2 / Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
· Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad or AMD Phenom X4
· Memory: 3 GB Windows XP / 4 GB Windows Vista and Windows 7
· Video Card: 1 GB RAM, supporting Pixel Shader 3.0 (Nvidia GeForce GTX260 or ATI Radeon HD4850)

LOL for trying to max witcher 2 with a 4850.

Crysis 2 Recommended System Requirements

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz, AMD Athlon 64 x2 2.66Ghz or better
GPU: NVidia GTX280 1GB, ATI 4870 1GB or better
RAM: 3GB
DX: 9
Shader: 3.0
Frame Rate Target: 30fps@1650x1080

Crysis 2 Optimum System Requirements

CPU: Intel Core i5 3.1Ghz, AMD Phenom II X6 1055T or better
GPU: NVidia GTX 560 Ti, ATI 6850 or Dual graphics cards
RAM: 4GB
DX: 11
Shader: 4.0
Frame Rate Target: 30fps@1920x1200

For once someone actually including an "optimum requirements"... as you can see recommended still won't run it very well at all.

This. Godmachine is way off base there.

Back