Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superhuman

[H]ard|Gawd
Now that it's been revealed that the game will be unveiled at GDC on March 1st (link), might as well keep all BF3 related posts in one place since there will be lots of them for sure.

I hope we get to see some gameplay footage, even if it's a snippet.

I'm expecting it to be a huge let down. That way, even if its halfway decent, I'll be happy. lol

There hasn't been a BAD Battlefield game yet. The worst out of the bunch for me was 2142, but im just not into the whole sci-fi thing. As long as they don't try and change things too much, it will continue to be a good series.

I could have sworn someone said we'd see it at GDC. Or maybe it was said about Frostbite 2.0. I can't remember, all I know is that I've been anticipating GDC quite a bit the past few weeks. Really looking forward to seeing the changes they make.

What's official about this and all the other "official" threads? Are you DICE or EA or Hardocp.com staff? This thread sponsored by some marketing department or something, or are you all just being stupid when you do it?

What's official about this and all the other "official" threads? Are you DICE or EA or Hardocp.com staff? This thread sponsored by some marketing department or something, or are you all just being stupid when you do it?

Sponsored? Being stupid?

Oh, sorry for trying to keep things organized. Or would you like to see 35 threads about the same game?

Bring back driveable aircraft carriers and battleships please!!

Can't wait to see what they reveal.

Anyone know if they will have prone? Also, after seeing the improvements in Vietnam, I can see that it actually might be decent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that it's been revealed that the game will be unveiled at GDC on March 1st (link), might as well keep all BF3 related posts in one place since there will be lots of them for sure.

I hope we get to see some gameplay footage, even if it's a snippet.

Now that we've got the thread back on topic... :D

I've played BF and BF2 ever since their release. My favorite of the original BF? Driveable ships.

I'm expecting a cross between BC2 and BF2, the bastard hybrid will be interesting to see, but I'm rather pessimistic to if BF3 will be a 'true' sequel.

I hope they bring back Commanders or whatever it was called from BF2.

if this even so much as matches bc2 in fun i will likely buy it.

i expect it to exceed it for that matter, and if it does, it might have the "title that makes me upgrade" award if i can't drop 60+ steady on it.

Anyone know if they will have prone? Also, after seeing the improvements in Vietnam, I can see that it actually might be decent.

I missed prone at first in BC2, but now I think I agree with what the devs said (don't remember where I saw it) that it causes more camping, sniping and slower gameplay. Now kinda hope they keep it out!

My guess is this was be a substantial reveal at GDC, this way they can roll the hype train into E3 and do a media blowout. If they try to reveal at E3 its very possible to just simply get drowned out by all the other games and a potential COD announcement.

GDC is smart, I expect some kind of neat trailer with no gameplay then in game screen shots and if we're lucky a short video of gameplay.

I missed prone at first in BC2, but now I think I agree with what the devs said (don't remember where I saw it) that it causes more camping, sniping and slower gameplay. Now kinda hope they keep it out!

Prone was removed from BC2 due to slowing down a style of game that was different from wider scale BF gameplay. It also promoted dolphin diving, something I hope Dice has remedied in BF3.

it would be nice to see 128 player maps and destructible environments....

There hasn't been a BAD Battlefield game yet. The worst out of the bunch for me was 2142, but im just not into the whole sci-fi thing. As long as they don't try and change things too much, it will continue to be a good series.

I actually enjoyed 2142 (despite the fact that I'm not typically into science fiction).

Sponsored? Being stupid?

Oh, sorry for trying to keep things organized. Or would you like to see 35 threads about the same game?

WIll happen anyways because people dont bother to read or search so they somehow think they are the first to post something on one of the most popular forums around :D

I think what could really set this game apart from the drivel would be to include maps/modes from multiple conflicts. Mix up 1942, Vietnam, and modern and you have the potential to please a whole lot of people.

I think what could really set this game apart from the drivel would be to include maps/modes from multiple conflicts. Mix up 1942, Vietnam, and modern and you have the potential to please a whole lot of people.

That would be fantastic. Now I am going to be disappointed if it doesn't have this :p

I really just want a return to form from the franchise, I think bc has really focused on the infantry aspect of things-certainly the infantry play is the most polished part of those games. BF2 was great because every vehicle had depth, and had its own quirks and personality I guess. It was a system built on top of a great infantry base and I think thats why people stuck with it so long and still do. The game reinvented FPS, defining a modern genre obsessed with upgrades, achievements and rank. I want bf3 to be just as ballsy, push the envelope that little extra inch or so that puts it in a league of its own.

Considering BF is still the red headed step child to COD(thats just the brutal truth), i expect more hybrid game keeping true to BF nature but aiming to grab some of that massive COD base. If they do it right it might be a really fun experience. You might alienate a few hardcore BF fans, but in turn they would gain many more. I am not suggesting a COD clone at all, but its obvious they do something right.

Ugh, god no. The COD base can stay right where it is, we don't need them guys scumming up our BF3 servers.

I would like to see a return of the 1942 scale of things with movable aircraft carriers, battleships, destroyers, bombers etc. Unfortunately I doubt they would ever bring back that kind of scale to the game unless they went back to a different time period.

Prone was removed from BC2 due to slowing down a style of game that was different from wider scale BF gameplay. It also promoted dolphin diving, something I hope Dice has remedied in BF3.

I would like to see prone return, but only for snipers, ... and also have snipers limited to one per squad. Even if they don't include prone, I'd love to see some restriction to the sniper class such as limited to one per squad. Or perhaps have the sniper class only be accessed by using the "random" or "rotation" class selection so you can't be a camping wookie round after round after round. (This coming from a person who loves to snipe btw)

I am with you on that. Also, I went and played BF2 for the first time in a very long time, and everyone does that dolphin diving thing now. I would goto shoot someone running down a street and they would plop down to the ground instantly. I am glad to see prone go away.

I am with you on that. Also, I went and played BF2 for the first time in a very long time, and everyone does that dolphin diving thing now. I would goto shoot someone running down a street and they would plop down to the ground instantly. I am glad to see prone go away.

Lol yea I just fired up BF2 SF about 20 mins ago and was so irritated by that crap.

If they have prone, they need to make it, that when you jump and prone you cant pull your gun up till after 2-3 seconds of hitting the ground..

Only thing that I would like to see DICE fix is not getting stuck on every little point that sticks out in the environment, like curbs and stairs, rails, etc., you always have to jump... I died so many times on Karkand because of this it's not even funny...

no prone in BF games is like no destruction environments in Bad Company games

Please have better joystick implementation. I want to fly jets and use my throttle, pedals, etc. Head tracking would be awesome as well. If they do this and increase the map size, I'll be happy.

I really hope they don't over do the destructible environments. you have to really step back and look at it. the game would be pointless after the first ten min you would have zero cover. the jets would just level the town in two passes and tanks would just rape spawns. they need to really look into black out spawns where you can't camp or snipe them. if not the game will just be a rage fest and once people find out how to rape you with choppers might as well just spawn and walk away from your keyboard. prone is a must they also need to make alot of sewer tunnels.

I do hope this is good, i'm going to be jumping on it when it comes out.

As for 2142, easily the worst, and laggy/buggy as hell on the Titan.

we'll see for sure when it comes out, but straight from one of the guys behind the renderer after i sent him a tweet as to whether dx11 will be faster than dx10 because of non gimped compute shader.

@dykebeard DX11 definitely can do a lot more optimizations. Esp. CS lighting together will MSAA is much faster

As a still regular player of BF2, I'm definitely looking forward to it. I just hope It's not a let down.

Lol yea I just fired up BF2 SF about 20 mins ago and was so irritated by that crap.

If they have prone, they need to make it, that when you jump and prone you cant pull your gun up till after 2-3 seconds of hitting the ground..

They should limit weapon pull when going to and exiting prone. Limit turning speed/arc so you can only aim fluidly in a limited arc in front of you.

This way prone basically should only be used if you are holding a position or to hide behind low cover, and used for med/long range engagements. If you get flanked (side or rear) you should be dead basically, and you can't use prone to hop up and down while in a fight with changing fronts. In close range fights it should be hard to track a guy that can circle around.

I really hope they don't over do the destructible environments. you have to really step back and look at it. the game would be pointless after the first ten min you would have zero cover. the jets would just level the town in two passes and tanks would just rape spawns. they need to really look into black out spawns where you can't camp or snipe them. if not the game will just be a rage fest and once people find out how to rape you with choppers might as well just spawn and walk away from your keyboard. prone is a must they also need to make alot of sewer tunnels.

They've always really needed to beef up the starting spawns/uncaps. I mean no way those should be anything but easily defensible locations. That would actually allow even a stacked against side to actually possibly fight back and do stuff even if out matched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back