• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I check this thread like 6 times a day.

I cant wait. Just ordered a new PC case from newegg, should get much better airflow. Come Friday gonna order my GTX570.

Im so proud. Today I converted my 360 friend back to PC. We spend all day ordering all the parts for his new rig. About a grand worth. He is so amazed by BF3. Been blinded by blackops way too long. He now see's the light of raw power and cranking out amazing graphics.
 
everyone planning on playing @ launch are only setting themselves up for disappointment.
EA will botch this launch just like they did BC2 since it took over a week for them to get their
servers up and fully operational
 
everyone planning on playing @ launch are only setting themselves up for disappointment.
EA will botch this launch just like they did BC2 since it took over a week for them to get their
servers up and fully operational

Take your negativity somewhere else please :D Can't hurt to hope that everything will work day one ;)
 
everyone planning on playing @ launch are only setting themselves up for disappointment.
EA will botch this launch just like they did BC2 since it took over a week for them to get their
servers up and fully operational

Considering the server have already had a decent amount of preliminary testing with the alpha, I think you're wrong.
 
I think it is going to be GTX580, 590, SLI or bust on this one.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/612-players-dont-meet-bf3-recommended-spec

I find it hard to believe a single GTX580 is going to be able to handle this with full anti-aliasing, 50 fps. Compromises will have to be made, which in my mind makes the 580 a hard sell with Kepler coming out in Q1.

If you need full anti-aliasing then your resolution is too low.

Even at 1920x1200 I hardly notice the need for anything above x2, and even then I just shut it off for the performance benefit since I am hardly standing still long enough to go "ohhh look, no jaggies".

Once I bump up to the 30" dell, I doubt I'll ever notice them again.
 
I think you meant that you HOPE that I'm wrong, but whatever makes you feel better...

I think I'll stick with "I think you're wrong"

I don't doubt there will be bugs but not as serious as you're suggesting.
 
Can [H]ardOCP please do a performance review on BF3 when they are able to. Would answer all of the recommended specs talk that has got out of hand.
 
Can [H]ardOCP please do a performance review on BF3 when they are able to. Would answer all of the recommended specs talk that has got out of hand.

No Steam, No Buy for Kyle so....No Review
We'll see if they decide to install Origin.

Kyle
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037606611&postcount=37

Brent
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037525680&postcount=30

It would be surprising if they did any kind of view if BF3. It would have to magically show up on Steam within the next 30 days.
 
Last edited:
If you need full anti-aliasing then your resolution is too low.

Even at 1920x1200 I hardly notice the need for anything above x2, and even then I just shut it off for the performance benefit since I am hardly standing still long enough to go "ohhh look, no jaggies".

Once I bump up to the 30" dell, I doubt I'll ever notice them again.

Been on a 30 dell at 2560x1600 for years and jaggies still stick out like a sore thumb. I like 4x aa minimum which is usually fine.
 
No Steam, No Buy for Kyle so....No Review
We'll see if they decide to install Origin.

Kyle
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037606611&postcount=37

Brent
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037525680&postcount=30

It would be surprising if they did any kind of view if BF3. It would have to magically show up on Steam within the next 30 days.

Really? Wow....:confused: :rolleyes:

On a side note, hopefully i'll have level 5 veteran for this game if it uses the veteran status :)
 
I would be really surprised if [H]ardOCP didn't do some kind of evaluation with BF3. Its easily the biggest title of the year for the PC in terms of pushing the hardware currently out there and they don't tend to miss games that big.

But its Kyle's site so ultimately its his decision.
 
The game of the decade and hardocp goes against it due to more open choices of game downloads?
lol.
 
The game of the decade and hardocp goes against it due to more open choices of game downloads?
lol.

And? That's there choice to make. If they don't wish to support EA then I personally can understand why , EA has a "history" and if they don't wish to support them by choice then I can respect that choice. It may not be the best business decision but if [H]ardOCP was run by a bunch of "suits" it wouldn't be [H]ardOCP would it?
 
If you need full anti-aliasing then your resolution is too low.

Even at 1920x1200 I hardly notice the need for anything above x2, and even then I just shut it off for the performance benefit since I am hardly standing still long enough to go "ohhh look, no jaggies".

Once I bump up to the 30" dell, I doubt I'll ever notice them again.

Been on a 30 dell at 2560x1600 for years and jaggies still stick out like a sore thumb. I like 4x aa minimum which is usually fine.

The higher PPI (Pixels per inch) of the 30" monitors and the fact that on average they will be further away from you due to their size, helps mask aliasing somewhat, it doesn't entirely remove it that's for sure.

You'll find that you can get away with 2xAA for a pretty damn decent image, and I've never noticed any benefit of above 4xAA, I'd always argue that on this kind of display that 8xAA is simply too hard to discern when actually playing games.
 
No Steam, No Buy for Kyle so....No Review
We'll see if they decide to install Origin.

Kyle
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037606611&postcount=37

Brent
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037525680&postcount=30

It would be surprising if they did any kind of view if BF3. It would have to magically show up on Steam within the next 30 days.

Ha, really? Why is that, do they all share one Steam account to cut down on costs, or is it just some kind of contractual obligation? Sounds silly.
 
The game of the decade and hardocp goes against it due to more open choices of game downloads?
lol.

They're not the only ones, I was looking forward to BF3 just as much if not more than most people here, I played BF1942, BF2 and BC2 for cumulatively more than 1500 hours and have been looking forward to BF3.

However I have the requirement that all my digital games are in one place, I don't like being forced to install other software, be that Origin, Rockstar Social club or GFWL (I always download patches to get rid of this), I don't want additional bloat ware on my system nor do I want to fragment my games and friends across multiple systems, that's stupid and unnecessary.

If they're going to force Origin then I'm not going to buy it, EA are using the popularity of BF3 to strong arm gamers into installing their digital service and that's not a practice I agree with, and I don't care if I'm the only person that thinks that way, even if not buying BF3 won't make any difference, it's a matter of principle.
 
No Steam, No Buy for Kyle so....No Review
We'll see if they decide to install Origin.

Kyle
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037606611&postcount=37

Brent
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037525680&postcount=30

It would be surprising if they did any kind of view if BF3. It would have to magically show up on Steam within the next 30 days.

Wow, thats a pretty bias stance for someone that should be unbiased (being a journalist) but like its been said, his site, his call. It's really unfortunate though as BF3 would be a great tool to test out new GPUs on for their reviews. Oh I know, everybody flood (1 per person that is) Kyle and Brent's inboxs with BF3 bench/review requests. :D

Edit: Sent mine to Kyle.

mtbush said:
everyone planning on playing @ launch are only setting themselves up for disappointment.
EA will botch this launch just like they did BC2 since it took over a week for them to get their
servers up and fully operational
Im hoping that DICE/EA learned their lesson from the botched launch of BC2.
 
Last edited:
If you need full anti-aliasing then your resolution is too low.

Even at 1920x1200 I hardly notice the need for anything above x2, and even then I just shut it off for the performance benefit since I am hardly standing still long enough to go "ohhh look, no jaggies".

Once I bump up to the 30" dell, I doubt I'll ever notice them again.

I can still notice it just fine at 2560x1600
 
The higher PPI (Pixels per inch) of the 30" monitors and the fact that on average they will be further away from you due to their size, helps mask aliasing somewhat, it doesn't entirely remove it that's for sure.

You'll find that you can get away with 2xAA for a pretty damn decent image, and I've never noticed any benefit of above 4xAA, I'd always argue that on this kind of display that 8xAA is simply too hard to discern when actually playing games.

Yep, basically this. I was on my phone so I couldn't type a lengthy response comfortably, but those are good additional points. The higher PPI + more pixels to represent any given world unit space in a game = less aliasing & less visible aliasing, but it is a far cry from removing it and AA is still necessary.
 
nope,

The beta gets unlocked at 8AM EST so hopefully they are out before then,

Yeah, I will be heading into work a little late so I can at least start the DL/install. I want to be ready to go after work! I would take the day off, but I leave next week for a nice 2 week vacation.
 
I preordered from Gamestop, got my receipt. How do I get my beta e-mail? Anyone have experience?

Edit: Seems it only works on Origin. No worries!
 
Last edited:
Was there a date that preorders through Origin had to be in by to get early beta access?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top