• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great, I'll keep that in mind that some random person said he had no problem when I am lagging out in BF3. Because I'm pretty certain steam downloading at 75% of my 6mbit connection is going to cause ungodly problems in a 64 person server of BF3. All I'm saying, is people taking EA to tasks for not releasing on steam do have legitimate complaints, and it's not because of 40mbs of memory that origin takes up or whatever.

I've been a systems administrator for nearly 8 years now, I've looked after hundreds of PCs and know exactly what sort of issues having competing software can cause, all of my experience leads me to believe that you will run in to problems eventually, it will be harder to manage overall and that it's completely and totally unnecessary. Furthermore it's the tip of the iceberg, it will get exponentially worse with only a linear increase in different platforms.

When I get users asking for help, and I check their pc and realplayer, quicktime, windows media player, winamp, itunes and god knows what else are all fighting for system resources and the attention of the user, as well as default rights to that kind of media, I just laugh at them, uninstall all that shit and install VLC player.

Origin will inevitably copy all of steams features, just wait until you have origin overlay overlaying your steam overlay which is overlaying origin which is always on top and running in your system tray, and then you receive a popup from origin which steam overlays the overlay, your overlayed overlay will try and overlay the popup which is behind steam because steam is always on top and then orig- *CRASH*

Straight to EA support who will advise it's a known bug and the fix is to not run steam.

Hahaha, yeah, no thanks :D
 
I'm not speculating, crying or being a drama queen, or any other similar word. I know for a fact that downloading 100% of my pipe (as steam often does) is going to kill performance in BF3. And these solutions are ok for me (except I don't have a router), but for average gamers they will not do. Steam 'just works', steam + origin do not. Now maybe you have a better pipe, or a slower steam download, or play unintensive games, or maybe you don't notice lag because you aren't competitive like I am, or any other number of variables, but none of them apply to what I'm saying.

Its not hard. Set steam to offline mode or not to boot with your OS. Simple as fuck. Now stop filling this thread with your god damn whining, its old and annoying.
 
I've been a systems administrator for nearly 8 years now, I've looked after hundreds of PCs and know exactly what sort of issues having competing software can cause, all of my experience leads me to believe that you will run in to problems eventually, it will be harder to manage overall and that it's completely and totally unnecessary. Furthermore it's the tip of the iceberg, it will get exponentially worse with only a linear increase in different platforms.

When I get users asking for help, and I check their pc and realplayer, quicktime, windows media player, winamp, itunes and god knows what else are all fighting for system resources and the attention of the user, as well as default rights to that kind of media, I just laugh at them, uninstall all that shit and install VLC player.

Origin will inevitably copy all of steams features, just wait until you have origin overlay overlaying your steam overlay which is overlaying origin which is always on top and running in your system tray, and then you receive a popup from origin which steam overlays the overlay, your overlayed overlay will try and overlay the popup which is behind steam because steam is always on top and then orig- *CRASH*

Straight to EA support who will advise it's a known bug and the fix is to not run steam.

Hahaha, yeah, no thanks :D

Apparently in your 8 years as a sysadmin, no one ever showed you how to remove applications from starting at boot, removing the entire point of your post. You wouldn't make it past the interview to end up on my team.

Hahaha, yeah, keep whining :D
 
Apparently in your 8 years as a sysadmin, no one ever showed you how to remove applications from starting at boot, removing the entire point of your post. You wouldn't make it past the interview to end up on my team.

Hahaha, yeah, keep whining :D

lol
 
Dude you're getting to play BF3 again for 12 days before the retail game. You couldn't have expected to have gotten a second map when there's only 9 in the game.

Offspring is it not the case that all game modes are accessible on any map? In which case why not enable conquest on Operation Metro?

Might be a moot point anyway given that zh1nt0 got trolled hard enough that he says he is going to raise it for discussion in internal meetings.

http://twitter.com/#!/zh1nt0/status/116213756316487680
 
I could have sworn they said the beta would be conquest earlier. Don't care about the map, but do care about the mode.
 
I've been a systems administrator for nearly 8 years now, I've looked after hundreds of PCs and know exactly what sort of issues having competing software can cause, all of my experience leads me to believe that you will run in to problems eventually, it will be harder to manage overall and that it's completely and totally unnecessary. Furthermore it's the tip of the iceberg, it will get exponentially worse with only a linear increase in different platforms.

When I get users asking for help, and I check their pc and realplayer, quicktime, windows media player, winamp, itunes and god knows what else are all fighting for system resources and the attention of the user, as well as default rights to that kind of media, I just laugh at them, uninstall all that shit and install VLC player.

Origin will inevitably copy all of steams features, just wait until you have origin overlay overlaying your steam overlay which is overlaying origin which is always on top and running in your system tray, and then you receive a popup from origin which steam overlays the overlay, your overlayed overlay will try and overlay the popup which is behind steam because steam is always on top and then orig- *CRASH*

Straight to EA support who will advise it's a known bug and the fix is to not run steam.

Hahaha, yeah, no thanks :D


I'm stunned.
 
Mods, this is the Battlefield 3 official thread. Please mod it. It is NOT the official bitch about Origin thread. If people want to complain, fine, do so in another thread. Please create one, or do some moderation in this thread. I for one, find it completely Off Topic, and it's been discussed to death.
 
I've been a systems administrator for nearly 8 years now, I've looked after hundreds of PCs and know exactly what sort of issues having competing software can cause, all of my experience leads me to believe that you will run in to problems eventually, it will be harder to manage overall and that it's completely and totally unnecessary. Furthermore it's the tip of the iceberg, it will get exponentially worse with only a linear increase in different platforms.

When I get users asking for help, and I check their pc and realplayer, quicktime, windows media player, winamp, itunes and god knows what else are all fighting for system resources and the attention of the user, as well as default rights to that kind of media, I just laugh at them, uninstall all that shit and install VLC player.

Origin will inevitably copy all of steams features, just wait until you have origin overlay overlaying your steam overlay which is overlaying origin which is always on top and running in your system tray, and then you receive a popup from origin which steam overlays the overlay, your overlayed overlay will try and overlay the popup which is behind steam because steam is always on top and then orig- *CRASH*

Straight to EA support who will advise it's a known bug and the fix is to not run steam.

Hahaha, yeah, no thanks :D

Actually, I take great exception to the bolded portion. Part of my job is to ensure that this exact scenario does not happen, and if it does to ensure that it's written up and the developers fix it. I come from Xfire previously, and now Origin and that was always the #1 priority for me: do not crash the end user's games. Origin and Steam do not hook into the same games, and therefore this is not currently an issue. If it becomes an issue, I will do my utmost to ensure it's fixed in a timely manner (meaning quickly, not 6+ months later). We do not want people to deal with crashing games because two overlays hook into the same space causing them to stomp all over one another's memory allocation.
 
Mods, this is the Battlefield 3 official thread. Please mod it. It is NOT the official bitch about Origin thread. If people want to complain, fine, do so in another thread. Please create one, or do some moderation in this thread. I for one, find it completely Off Topic, and it's been discussed to death.

They are modding it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
To run BF3 at Max settings res : 1650x1080 what gpu would be needed? (nvidia or amd I don't care)
 
Is it the first game in history that collected >6000 posts before the official release? :)
 
Mods, this is the Battlefield 3 official thread. Please mod it. It is NOT the official bitch about Origin thread. If people want to complain, fine, do so in another thread. Please create one, or do some moderation in this thread. I for one, find it completely Off Topic, and it's been discussed to death.

Agreed. There's nothing else to talk about really. The beta date has been set, so people are in wait mode.
Steam users now are ready to play but they can't because they don't want Origin. That's why you're seeing the recent posts of hate and fortune telling.
 
Apparently in your 8 years as a sysadmin, no one ever showed you how to remove applications from starting at boot, removing the entire point of your post. You wouldn't make it past the interview to end up on my team.

Hahaha, yeah, keep whining :D

No. That's an assumption on your part, I never explicitly said this and it cannot be inferred from my previous comment, furthermore these applications quite frequently have behaviour where they will find means undo user changes such as re-assume file associations without prompting. Partly because they're awful applications but also partly because they're written with the assumption they're the only type of this software on the machine and this leads to conflicts.

Based on both your immature attitude and your tenancies to make assumptions I certainly wouldn't want to work for someone like you, nor would I allow that kind of behaviour on my own team of admins.

I'm not whining, I simply stated my personal preference and reason for not buying the game and have done nothing but defended my position since.

Actually, I take great exception to the bolded portion. Part of my job is to ensure that this exact scenario does not happen, and if it does to ensure that it's written up and the developers fix it. I come from Xfire previously, and now Origin and that was always the #1 priority for me: do not crash the end user's games. Origin and Steam do not hook into the same games, and therefore this is not currently an issue. If it becomes an issue, I will do my utmost to ensure it's fixed in a timely manner (meaning quickly, not 6+ months later). We do not want people to deal with crashing games because two overlays hook into the same space causing them to stomp all over one another's memory allocation.

That's completely wrong, steam can hook in to ALL games, you can add any external game to steams list and use the community overlay with it. Based on your lack of understanding of the basic features of steam, this doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, sorry.

Nor does EAs support fill me with confidence either, I've contacted them before and they are not willing to take responsibility for the compatibility of their products with other applications, if there's a conflict you're expected to stop or remove the conflicting app.

Moving on.

I do wonder if there is going to be mods for BF3 that allow the game to run without origin in the background, I see no reason why you can't fake the authentication sessions that Origin creates and simply launch the exe manually, quite a lot of these sorts of mods have been written for GFWL which you can use as long as you have a legit game key. If someone manages to release something like this I may very well buy BF3.

Does anyone know if origin has an offline mode something like steam has? I think some of the single player games for steam can simply be copied outside the steam folder and launched without steam running (providing offline mode has been enabled).
 
Subject change.

Battlefieldo - BETA Q&A WITH ZH1NT0

We’ve got more Beta news!

A Q&A with BF3 Global Community Manager Daniel Matros (zh1nt0) on a public teamspeak with the German community, and details of the discussion from the EAUK Forums have exposed some new unconfirmed details regarding Battlefield 3 and the release of the BF3 Beta next week on September 29th. We’ve broken down the list from the conversations below into bullets to keep it as short and sweet as possible.

Q&A

General Beta Info
  • Beta will not start at 00:00.
  • Between 2-3 gig beta client.
  • You can not UPDATE alpha client you need to re-download the new Beta Client.
  • Netcode is totally rewritten and new.
  • No level limit @ beta.
  • Cant join as a Squad if the Team is full so battlelog groups won’t get split.

Gameplay Info

  • Autoheal on all vehicle’s after 10-15sec.
  • Vehicles autoregeneration ONLY under 75% Health.
  • Unlocks are for WEAPONS not for the classes you can not unlock red dot sight on gun1 and use it on gun 2.
  • Operation Metro got changed and has a new Layout, thats why they want to test balance again.
  • You have more then 1 knife animation, from behind, on the ground and you can NOT counter the knife attack.
  • You can still throw grenades to hear enemys yell.
  • You can not cook grenades.
  • You can join with friends on a server.
  • Friendly fire is On as the default setting. (F'n A! -Gully)
Misc. Info

  • You can use 3 screens if you have enough graphic power.
  • Next 1-3 weeks will be talking about new maps.
  • Caspian Border IS NOT THE BIGGEST MAP.
  • No Bombs on Jets.
  • When you get kicked you can see the reason in Battlelog.
  • Ranked Servers can be changed to unranked Servers.
  • Battlelog application for iPhone.
  • Battlelog can be updated without patching the game so we can get new stuff faster.
  • No weather or time changing in game.
  • No comment on the Battlerecorder.
 
Does anyone know if origin has an offline mode something like steam has? I think some of the single player games for steam can simply be copied outside the steam folder and launched without steam running (providing offline mode has been enabled).

For right now, Origin isn't required to run any game. So no offline mode needed.
BF3 will be the first game required to run Origin, mainly because of Battlelog.
 
For right now, Origin isn't required to run any game. So no offline mode needed.
BF3 will be the first game required to run Origin, mainly because of Battlelog.

Because of battlelog? How so? Battlelog is a separate website through which the BF3 client is executed. Unless something has drastically changed since the alpha, all Origin did was perform DRM authentication, which is baffling given that Battlelog effectively does that anyway.
 
Because of battlelog? How so? Battlelog is a separate website through which the BF3 client is executed. Unless something has drastically changed since the alpha, all Origin did was perform DRM authentication, which is baffling given that Battlelog effectively does that anyway.

How else would you connect to your Origin friends during the game?
Does Battlelog also carry over a list of your Origin friends?
 
Does Battlelog also carry over a list of your Origin friends?

Nope, from recollection your battlelog friend list is completely separate from the origin friend list. All the chatting with friends occurred via the battlelog browser plugin, including the ability to join servers that friends were playing in. Origin seemed completely superfluous, aside from popping up to authenticate whenever you joined a server.

Seemed a rather inelegant solution, I didn't understand why they could not simply integrate all of battlelogs functionality into Origin. To me that would make a lot more sense if they are going to require it to be running in the background anyway.
 
For right now, Origin isn't required to run any game. So no offline mode needed.
BF3 will be the first game required to run Origin, mainly because of Battlelog.

Got it, thanks.

Because of battlelog? How so? Battlelog is a separate website through which the BF3 client is executed. Unless something has drastically changed since the alpha, all Origin did was perform DRM authentication, which is baffling given that Battlelog effectively does that anyway.

Yeah, DRM isn't needed for multiplayer anyway because you auth with a unique key, multiplayer has always been safe because of this, unless you're dumb like the CoD devs and didn't build a decent key system.

The simple answer is that it's not needed, it just isn't, it's just to force people to install Origin because given the option many of us simply wouldn't bother (and not necessarily because Origin is bad)

How else would you connect to your Origin friends during the game?
Does Battlelog also carry over a list of your Origin friends?

It's trivial to build a web service to do this.
 
You can not cook grenades.

I wonder why? Some times it's beneficial to cook the grenade so that it doesn't set there for 5 seconds give the enemy time to escape.

If you are good enough you can cook it so it explodes as soon as it hits or still in the air and I want that feature.
 
Why would FF=On be the default. Seems stupid.

To keep stupid noobs from just spraying into an area when their team mates are in the line of fire. You actually need to have some semblance of skill and place your shots.

I will not play on a server if FF is off.
 
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1636166

This has become the de facto bitch about Origin thread. Folks, if you really need to vent your spleen about that please do it there instead of here. Thanks. :)

Fence sitters: Worst case scenario wait until that first week comes and goes when this game comes out. By then you'll know several things.

1.) How did Origin handle the huge demand?

2.) Did we have the traditional EA/DICE server screwups and glitches?

3.) Despite either of the above you probably still see a bunch of amazing pictures and hear some great stories in game that will make you buy this game at that point. ;)


I simply haven't decided which way I'm going to preorder this yet myself.




I will not play on a server if FF is off.

I will not play on a server if I see it on.
 
Nope, from recollection your battlelog friend list is completely separate from the origin friend list. All the chatting with friends occurred via the battlelog browser plugin, including the ability to join servers that friends were playing in. Origin seemed completely superfluous, aside from popping up to authenticate whenever you joined a server.

Seemed a rather inelegant solution, I didn't understand why they could not simply integrate all of battlelogs functionality into Origin. To me that would make a lot more sense if they are going to require it to be running in the background anyway.

Weird. I don't want to have a different list of friends on Battlelog.
If the list doesn't carry over, then Origin running seems redundant.

If battlelog acts as it's own DRM, then Origin should be offline.
We are asking for things the competitor doesn't do, so it's not a huge deal but it makes sense.
 
I wonder why? Some times it's beneficial to cook the grenade so that it doesn't set there for 5 seconds give the enemy time to escape.

If you are good enough you can cook it so it explodes as soon as it hits or still in the air and I want that feature.

I'm not sure about this but generally speaking because people get really good at cooking grenades, I know I can time it very well, I used to do that in Day of Defeat Source, the problem is that you can air burst them in a large group of people and they're just way too effective, people need a chance to run away from them otherwise they're just frustrating.

Still I love a good air burst grenade right at eye height, it just leads to degenerative gameplay.
 
No bombs on the planes? I'm not sure what to make of that. I wonder if missiles dumb-launched (without locked target) go in a straight line. Like... right down a tank's barrel. Or through that sniper's scope.
 
To keep stupid noobs from just spraying into an area when their team mates are in the line of fire. You actually need to have some semblance of skill and place your shots.

I will not play on a server if FF is off.


Play hardcore then. I don't need some moron shooting myself and everyone else up ruining the game.
 
No. That's an assumption on your part, I never explicitly said this and it cannot be inferred from my previous comment, furthermore these applications quite frequently have behaviour where they will find means undo user changes such as re-assume file associations without prompting. Partly because they're awful applications but also partly because they're written with the assumption they're the only type of this software on the machine and this leads to conflicts.

Based on both your immature attitude and your tenancies to make assumptions I certainly wouldn't want to work for someone like you, nor would I allow that kind of behaviour on my own team of admins.

I'm not whining, I simply stated my personal preference and reason for not buying the game and have done nothing but defended my position since.

Its based on your entire body of posts here. Apparently you need to go back and read your drivel. Please do go back and re-read all of your posts instead of posting, yet again, in a thread for a game you are refusing to buy for a silly reason.

Again, you are not buying this game. You have no reason, what so ever, to constantly be posting in here, and posting off topic bullshit constantly.
 
WTF, no bombs on planes...wtffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff


WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
 
WTF, no bombs on planes...wtffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff


WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Good! I remeber BF2 and how planes with bombs were owning the whole map. In BF2142 there is no bombs on planes and it worked very well :)
 
Good! I remeber BF2 and how planes with bombs were owning the whole map. In BF2142 there is no bombs on planes and it worked very well :)

No, this is not good, it's dumb. And there was a reason why they owned, because thats what JETS WITH BOMBS DO IN WAR, they rape.

They want to make a SEQUEL to bf2, it will include bombs on mo fo'n jets g damnit.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
 
Good! I remeber BF2 and how planes with bombs were owning the whole map. In BF2142 there is no bombs on planes and it worked very well :)

Generally only because of lack of AA troops and the extremely vulnerable AA guns. I don't mind bombs on jets as long as there's a fair counter for it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top