• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably no bombs on planes in the beta so casual players aren't carpet bombed out in in open all the time like in BF2 demo.
 
When they say "re-written netcode". Hopefully that means they're taking out the ping compensation crap.

If I see someone first, shoot them in the head/knife them. They should not have time to shoot me in the head/knife me back.

(this is pretty bad in BC2)
 
When they say "re-written netcode". Hopefully that means they're taking out the ping compensation crap.

If I see someone first, shoot them in the head/knife them. They should not have time to shoot me in the head/knife me back.

(this is pretty bad in BC2)

How are you determining that you saw someone else first?

The information you're getting is delayed from the server by the latency on your connection, the server actually has a neutral position in which to see who really shot first and simply corrects your client if that's the case.

It's not really ping compensation, it's client correction, clients make assumptions based on outdated information from the server and occasionally the server needs to correct a client.
 
Personally I wish they would let you cook grenades -- if I know an enemy is hiding somewhere, cook for a few seconds then toss... it's pretty damn true to life.

I hate how in BC2 I can toss a grenade right to an enemies feet but yet he has time to exit the building AND have a smoke.

If airbursting nades is really that big of a problem - setting up some sort of reduced damage for any nade in the air would be easy to do. Which would also mimic real life as the explosive energy has to radiate in a true 360 degree 3D space, vs being on the ground and having a more directed blast.
 
Personally I wish they would let you cook grenades -- if I know an enemy is hiding somewhere, cook for a few seconds then toss... it's pretty damn true to life.

If you think that's true to life, then you've obviously never been in combat or handled a real grenade. It's not like in the movies, and the delay isn't exact.
 
Yes, they're called missiles.

yes

the maverick has probably killed more tanks than any other air to ground armament in existence(except *maybe* the a10s BAMF 30mm vulcan, modern weapons only of course...)
 
Last edited:
the lag compensation is pretty bad in BC2. it is designed around 100ms ping. i have mine adjusted to 27ms ping and i stick to servers between 20 and 35 ( not ingame pings). doing this felt like my hit detection doubled. it was night and day difference. maybe it was all placebo effect but, it helped me.
 
From what I experienced in the Alpha the whole "I shot him first but still died due to lag bs" has been pretty much resolved. I just hope it carries over from Beta to Release.

There were very few times where I got the jump on someone and I ended up dying (from that person, not additional fire).
 
Last edited:
From what I experienced in the Alpha the whole "I shot him first but still died due to lag bs" has been pretty much resolved. I just hope it carries over from Beta to Release.

There were very few times were I got the jump on someone and it resulted in my death (from that person, not additional fire).

Yes, I noticed none of the 'lag' from BC2 or even BF2.
 
the lag compensation is pretty bad in BC2. it is designed around 100ms ping. i have mine adjusted to 27ms ping and i stick to servers between 20 and 35 ( not ingame pings). doing this felt like my hit detection doubled. it was night and day difference. maybe it was all placebo effect but, it helped me.

You could adjust your lag compensation in BC2? I'd probably enjoy the game significantly more if it didn't feel like the lag compensation was built around high latency. I hope it's better by default in BF3 and I still hope they let you customize it.
 
When they say "re-written netcode". Hopefully that means they're taking out the ping compensation crap.

If I see someone first, shoot them in the head/knife them. They should not have time to shoot me in the head/knife me back.

(this is pretty bad in BC2)

The only way this would ever go away would be if the game had a LAN option and you and the other player were sat next to the server, connected via an ethernet cable.

Unfortunately no amount of clever coding in a game is going to remove the physical limitations of the internet.
 
You could adjust the lag compensation in BC2 for the first few months after release, but I'm pretty certain they removed the ability to do that a long time ago. And yes, it makes the hit detection god fucking awful. It makes me want to punch my monitor when I'm standing still 15 yards away from another guy standing still, shoot him dead center in the chest with a sniper rifle, blood explodes from his body, yet no hit is recorded.
 
I think its hilarious when you kill someone and you die at the same time, its completely possible...though would probably occur much less frequently then it does in BC2 for sure.
 
I think its hilarious when you kill someone and you die at the same time, its completely possible...though would probably occur much less frequently then it does in BC2 for sure.

Still better than Black Ops where if someone has that stupid second chance perk they still have time to get shots off and kill you before they fall to the ground.
 
Has anyone seen this? It looks great!

MQcVF.jpg
 
Still better than Black Ops where if someone has that stupid second chance perk they still have time to get shots off and kill you before they fall to the ground.

There are times when this can work properly.

In Red Orchestra 2 you can get shot, not enough for instant kill but a fatal wound (you can't bandage it), you start to stumble, screen starts going black and losing color. You are seconds from bleeding to death and if you are quick you might be able to get one shot off with whatever weapon you were holding (if you didn't drop it when you got shot, this seems to happen depending on where the bullet hit)

I was making my way around a building as a MG (Axis), had my pistol out so if anyone close came it would be easier to hit them than trying to hip fire an MG34. I was leaning around a corner when an Ruskie riflemen came around the building across from me, he got of one shot and hit me. My screen started shaking and going black, I was seconds from death. I managed to aim my pistol in the general direction of him and got one shot off before the screen when dark and I bled out. Popped him right in the head.

I've done the 2nd chance perk in CoD before and it's actually kinda annoying to see people using it. In RO2 at least the chances you'll even get shot in such a way you even get the chance is rather rare. You normally either get one hit killed or have a chance to bandage yourself.

It was f'ing brilliant.
 
Has anyone seen this? It looks great!

The pic on the left shows really high contrast, so shadows look like theyre constantly pitch black, (in the alpha anyone laying prone in the shade of a tree seemed to turn into a black mass regardless of the fact that the map was very bright) whites almost have a sheen to them. It was shown on a video that colour grading is the option that gives the contrasted look, be nice if theres an option to disable it, game looks better without the over the top in your face colour scheme.
 
not to bring up BC2 too much but here is the hit detection thing i tried. no idea if it still works http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/498961.page

I'm gonna try that, too. All of the servers I play on are sub-50 pings. Thanks for the link!

Now back to BF3... Those gameplay mechanics/features that were listed a few pages back were for the retail release, correct? Not just the beta? (I know, no planes in beta)
 
That's completely wrong, steam can hook in to ALL games, you can add any external game to steams list and use the community overlay with it. Based on your lack of understanding of the basic features of steam, this doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, sorry.

Your immediate dismissal about what I may or may not know does not fill me with confidence either. I know how Steam works, I know how Origin works. I worked on Xfire's InGame for 5 years. I've worked on Origin for almost a year. I've worked with and used Steam the entire time. You seemed to misunderstand what I was saying, so I will reiterate it for you.

There is code that all 3 products use that will DUMP OUT if they recognize that another product is trying to hook into the same location. When that doesn't work, it's called a bug. When those bugs arise, they need to get fixed. So yes, I know how Steam works. I know that you can add external games to Steam and that the overlay works. I'm aware. Xfire did the exact same thing. Guess what? We dealt with the crashes as they came and fixed the code that caused the crash.
 
How are you determining that you saw someone else first?

The information you're getting is delayed from the server by the latency on your connection, the server actually has a neutral position in which to see who really shot first and simply corrects your client if that's the case.

It's not really ping compensation, it's client correction, clients make assumptions based on outdated information from the server and occasionally the server needs to correct a client.

I know what ping is.

But BC2 tries to give everyone a 100ms ping for some reason or another. The server in the list says 15, join the game you have 99-115ms ping. Any server. All the time.
 
No, your original point was that they WILL conflict and they will never be fixed. I made the point that when that happens, it's not correct and needs to be fixed.

I'm not going to argue semantics with you. Twist my wording how you want to make your point.
 
Every time I check this thread, 90% of the posts are trolls shitting it up. Just shut the hell up and get out already
 
Alright quite the damn whining.. Imma get this back on track

Beta Details!
Battlefield 3 beta will run from September 29 to October 10.

There is no player level limit on the beta and no limit on how much you can unlock.

One game mode, Rush, and one map, Operation Metro will be available.

The Operation Metro map has undergone changes since the alpha.

The beta is limited to 32 players on PC, 24 on console.

Beta size will be around 2-3 GB.

The netcode has been re-written from the alpha trial.

Owners of Medal of Honor do not need the disc to play the beta

EA Origin pre-orders and Medal of Honor owners get access to the beta 48h earlier, on Sep 27.

If you want early access, you have to pre-order on Origin before Sep 25.

Asia has now been added to the open beta.

Origin is required to play the beta on PC.

Stats and ranks will not carry over into the final game.

PC beta system requirements can be found here.

The beta won’t include all the graphics features which will make it in the final version.

source:http://bf3blog.com/2011/09/more-battlefield-3-beta-details/
 
Wonder what kind of "graphical features" they are talking about.

Are they talking about just the customization options or actual features (like it won't have certain particle effects or bloom or something)?
 
Wonder what kind of "graphical features" they are talking about.

Are they talking about just the customization options or actual features (like it won't have certain particle effects or bloom or something)?

probably bloom, MLAA, picking AA/AF and stuff, is usually limited to few choices
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top